General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Total Imersion Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-06 6:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Subject: The Total Imersion Thread
Got a couple of notes from folks who would like to see a TI thread - post our workouts - drills - what you are finding helpful - what is difficult and how you are integrating the TI method into your swim. So here goes:

I did the workshop and have the DVD and book "Tri Swimming Made Easy."

1. The drills are coming along. Beginning drills (back balance - sweet spot both sides - lengthen vessel both sides are all okay) It took some time to get comfortable with left side up but that was okaya fter a couple of weeks.
2. I tend to be a bit of a sinker and the forward propulsion when kicking was not good. (the runner's inflexible ankles thing) Found ankle stretching helpful and the kick has come along. The verticle kicking drills also helped.
3. The "skating sequence" drills are where I am focusing right now. That'ss coming along - but I am not so hot at the breathing - still take in water through the nose. There are three "underswitch" drills and my practice with those yesterday was not so hot - I can do them - but was doing the sinking thing. I know the reason - "keep head in line with the spine - looking straight down, keeping lead arm at 4 or 4:30 (for the sinking thing) and roll up to breathe (trying to keep straight - as though I was going to breathe with the belly button. Triouble is I come up a bit slow.

I'm going to see a TI coach (who is also multi-sport) and she is asking me to stay with drills and not move on to swimming. Theory is that I was not a good swimer at all and that I would simply keep repeating bad habits. I do see that patience on the drills will pay off. It is clear the method works.

Anyway - for you folks who are doing TI - how is it going with you? Where are you stuck? What is working for you?

2004-03-06 6:47 PM
in reply to: #10891

Subject: RE: The Total Imersion Thread
I got the Total Immersion book last week, and am just getting to the part explaining the drills. I'm going to start doing the drills next week, so I'll keep you posted. I'm trying to swim laps, and slowly improving just from some of the concepts in the early part of the book. I've gone from completed exausted after swimming 1 length, to the same feeling after swimming 100m. I'm making progress!
2004-03-06 8:29 PM

Veteran
Singapore
Is the TI workshop effective? I mean it is expensive and it is only for a short 2 day workshop. Can they really correct and improve your swimming technique in such a short time.....I trying to learn freestyle and would like to improve my breaststroke.been reading the swimming made easy TI book
2004-03-06 8:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
It IS effective. It is pricey and it is short - but it did transform my aproach to swim and is making a huge difference in my confidence for the swim part of the tri. I did a more complete report on the workshop at this thread:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2004-03-07 12:41 AM
in reply to: #10920

South Bay
I did my first tri last summer and totally choked (in every sense of the word) on the swim, even though I could swim the distance in the pool. I was one of the people who just got in and forced my way through the water. Breathing wasn't smooth or efficient.
I just started last week with the DVD 'Freestyle Made Easy' and the Triathlon Swimming book. So far I'm still on lesson one- working on the sweet spot. It's a little frustrating to stick with the drills when I feel like I should be getting a good workout, but I know that it's best in the long run. I've already noticed a difference in my comfort level in the water. I feel much calmer somehow, and I can relax knowing that if I get freaked out in the open water I can always roll over to sweet spot and kick without wasting a lot of energy.

Malvey- how long have you been doing the drills?
2004-03-07 1:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Alicia - I did the TI workshop Feb 7-8 and had the book maybe three weeks before that. I did the back balance and sweet spot stuff b/4 camp. Now about a month later - I've worked through all the drills - but am going back and working now on the whole underswitch sequence.

Biggest clue I have is to stay with the "sweet spot" drills until you are really comfortable on both sides. If one side is harder - give it twice the time as the good side. Maybe also move ahead to do the "lengthen your vesssle" (LVSS) The extended arm helps with balance. Experiment with the exact position of sweet spot (SS) I found that my left side up SS is a bit different than my right side up SS.

And - Keep your wrist flexed so the hand is pointing down on your lead arm in LVSS - the more you have a "sinking" problem, the deeper you keep that lead arm when doing LVSS. Remember to "bury the shoulder" - helps you think in terms of being a strainght needle going through the water. Do this stuff patiently - I am finding that really getting one drill down helps when moving on - but you also don't want to get bored - so move ahead with the drills and then come back to master where you are doing well.

Terry says, "Remember to always practice comfortably and never struggling."

Hang in - come back and let us know how the drills are going.

2004-03-07 3:00 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN

I have been using the TI book now for about 2 months.  Before I started using the book I would swim about 500 yrds in 30 min's stopping after almost every 25 then on a good day after a 50.  Once I decided to commit to drill time instead of swim/struggle time things slowly started to improve.  I would still put in 500 yrds (a mental minimum) and it might of taken me longer, 45 min's but after two months I can tell a huge difference.  My goal was to swim 3 days per week working on a drill until I got it down then moving on the the next.  Then I went to doing the lessons with the drills.  This is basically doing 2or3 different drills w/in a practice.  After a couple months I did start to get bored and with spring closing in, the triathlon season (for me) closing in I started thinking that I can't even swim a 1/2 mile yet, where did the time go?

The good thing is I now warmup with an easy 100, something I couldn't to at all a short while ago.  Then I work on some drills and end with swimming golf, usually 2x50.  This I do now 2 times per week and one day I will just swim intervals working on endurance and concentrating on using the 'feel' I get from the drills.  In one of my most recent swim workouts I swam a 150 then did 4x100's all freestyle and another 150.  So have the drills help?  Absolutely.  Has my conditioning improved w/o continuous laps?  Absolutely.  Will I be able to finish a 1/2 mile in the first leg of my first Tri? God I hope so

2004-03-07 4:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Hey Jim - Thanks for your input here. It is encouraging for folks who want to know if the drills will take them anywhere.

I've got a built in kind of check. I am going to a TI coach on 3/19 to get tuned up after the workshop and to check on how the drills are going. I'm keeping the discipline of drill only and agreed to let her give the thumbs up or down - so 3/19 will be a big day. Meanwhile folks can use the lesson plans in the book and cut out the stops after each 25 to get a bit more endurance. I'm finding that endurance is growing even sticking with the drills.
2004-03-08 9:11 AM

New user
Subject: Drills
Being absolutley HORRIFIED of drowning (it has got to be my worst nightmare) I have issues with freestyle swimming. I am scared that I am going to inhale a lung full of water. But- I have to swim- So- I got the book and DVD and started doing the drills. I worked on those balance drills for a while, maybe two months all together. I have to tell you that once I felt the balance in the water- that was sweet! Feeling the power of switching was cool!

I just took my fist swim lesson at my gym. The instuctor isnt TI per se- but I was expecting the worst when I had to show her my swimming skills (if you would call it that!). I was so shocked! SHe said I had great balance and a great rotation and a good stroke!! I would have fallen down if I werent in the pool!

Basically I have to get over my fear of breathing- pretty much everything is good, except I stop when I turn to breathe. I am so happy and excited! I will say doing the balance drills really helped. Being comfortable in the water and being able to turn on either side is wonderful. If you are having problems with balance, just keep at it! try over-doing it- if you think you are turned on your side, go a little more- sometimes what we think we are turned all the way on our side, but we really arent. If your legs are sinking- push the chest down even further-

It will be worth it!
2004-03-08 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
I got the book and DVD about four weeks ago, and have dedicated myself to the drills, despite the looming spectre of my first race this weekend! It's only a 300M swim, and I know I can get through that with occasional breaks in the Sweet Spot. But here is my experience with TI:

I have progressed to zipper switch on the drills, but I still think one of the most helpful drills is underskate. This is where I try to imprint the correct position for my freestyle stroke. When you get the position right (I think) you can feel your hips rise to the surface and your speed picks up noticeably despite the same level of effort as far as the kick. I think that if I can hit that position on the glide of my stroke, swimming will become much, much easier. THe thing that I have had to work through on zipper switch is that I sink when bringing my arm up for the stroke. I just have to remember to relax, and let myself sink in equilibrium. Once I swtich and roll to breathe, I always pop right up to the top. That is definitely right about "breathing with your belly button". If you try to lurch your head to breathe, instead of keeping it in line, you just sink all the more.

Now, the challenge for me to is translate the smooth rhythm of zipper switch to full freestyle. But there is progress. Before I started the drills, I was at 25 strokes per length on 15-Feb. Yesterday, I was pretty consistent at 18 strokes per length (7-Mar). Now I feel that I just need to spend half to two-thirds of my time on drills, and the rest on building endurance.

The bottom line for me is that I feel its working, but I have yet to have that breakthrough moment that the book talks about. Maybe my breathing is still out of kilter, who knows?

2004-03-08 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Signed up for 6 wk class with TI coach/instructor to work on freestyle technique...Totally new approch - get frustrated- but can see the value and SOME improvement ...The whole idea of balance in the water is huge. Just got the video to hopefully reinforce class...having a partner helps a lot- to correct/celebrate when you are practicing the drills. Hardest part for me is thinkng how am I going to build up the endurance if I'm still struggling with technique ? But I am putting my faith in those more experienced that ultimately I'm better off spending my time to learn positive habits so as not to have to "undo" bad ones later.I'll try to update as we go ...isis

2004-03-08 12:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Really good stuff here folks. Phil's comment about the skating drill is absolutely right on. Terry L. comments that this is one drill you will practice all of your swimming life. Keep going back to it.

Lorraine - If you can swing it - get a wet suit and that will take care of the bouyancey and fear of drowning. Second biggest thing is the relax - you don't have to kill the swim - just get through it. You will do it!

Issis - The key with concentrating on drills is that you will swim so much easier, the endurance will be important - but you will not be wearing yourself out (using up all your endurance) with "trying not to drown" type swimming
2004-03-08 12:56 PM
in reply to: #11130

New user
Subject: Question-
on breathing-

I woke up Saturday morning thinking about the breathing as I was laying there breathing!!

I think I may be breathing too hard. I think I am inhaling too deeply. When I go to start a lap, I take a big breath in and blow out the nose, when I go to take my next breath, I am trying to take another big, deep breath. That may be why I am stopping at that point- to give myself time to inhale so deeply.

But waking up and thinking about it, I dont need a huge deep breath when I am just blowing it right out. I am certainly not holdning my breath nor will I be. Right now I am just trying to get two strokes in to find the rythym of breathing.

So should my breath pretty much be like regular breathing?
2004-03-08 1:42 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Im still trying to decide if my money would be better spent on priavte lessons with an instructor that might not teach Total Immersion rather than the book and DVD's. Just to have someone who can fix my form rather than taking my chances of assuming I'm doing what the book says correctly. Any advice?
2004-03-08 2:22 PM

Toronto
The TI teaching method is good and the drills give you a strong sense of accomplishment. However, swimming and drilling are not the same. It takes me a lot of time to bridge the drilling & swimming gap. Being a triathlete, we race with our wetsuit most of the time. That means we cheat to some degree. Wetsuits fix our balancing problem & automatically bring our hips to the surface. Personally, I use fins as part of my training tools. They give me a similar sensation compared to racing with wetsuit. Did you try a drill called Stop-stop-switch (translation: breath every 3 stroke). This drill help me to swim with rythm and focus on the stroke technique. This is just my 2 cents...
2004-03-08 2:55 PM
in reply to: #11152

New user
I have been doing the drills for a while but I knew I needed someone to look over me and tell me what I was doing wrong- She isnt a TI instructor- but it seems that a lot of TI stuff is the norm in swimming tri's. That is probably the most important thing to discuss with a swim instrutor. He/she needs to know that you arent swimming a swim meet- you are swimming in a tri. That is totally different and I would be cautious using a trainer that had no knowledge of tri's. In fact I switched gyms because not one trainer knew what the heck a tri was!! And I didnt have the time to teach them to teach me!

In the end it is how comfortable you are with swimmming-

2004-03-08 6:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Sean - Maybe get the book and give it a try - there are definitely some differences with TI and other coaching methods - sometimes really different. You might try looking into the TI web site http://www.totalimmersion.net and write one of the folks to see if there might be someone familiar with TI in your area - even someone who has takent he workshop. I've been able to help a couple of folks here who just have the book and video - and I'm no pro. TI encourages geting a partner and coaching each other - the TI folks believe this could be better than "mixing" regualr and TI methodology.

John - true that swimming and drilling are different - with TI, however, the drills are progressive and once you get past drills three and four, every step is a component of good swimming. So - when I cheat a bit and actually do a lap or two of swimming as the reward for drilling - I can see a significant improvement in the swim. I just don't do too much so that I don't keep habituating the bad stuff in my old swim routine. Your wet suit observations are right on. Another issue is that open water swim and pool swim are different - I'm lookin around now for places to do open water swim. It's going to be a challenge here in IA with my first tri in June. (So I need a wetsuit and a place to swim in open water )

All that said, however, nothing can replace simply spending time in the pool.
2004-03-08 9:18 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Is this the book we're talking about or should I be looking for a different one?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/068481885X/qid=107879...

Or this one...

http://www.totalimmersion.net/tsme.html

Edited by soupaman 2004-03-08 9:20 PM
2004-03-08 11:19 PM
in reply to: #11238

User image

Master
Bronze member
The 2nd one- and the dvd/video on freestyle lets you see the drills/techniques in action...bet there's got to be a TI familar coach/instructor some where near you - even just to check in with now & again ....
2004-03-09 9:02 AM

Toronto
Have you visited this site: www.goswim.tv

Glen Mills is an ex-ti coach. I like these drills as they are more swimming oriented. There are a lot of drills demos...but you need broad band internet service.

John
2004-03-09 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
I really like http://www.goswim.tv They have a lot of videos and things like that thats where I learned to do the flip turn.

2004-03-09 12:46 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: To all who've followed the drills from the book....
How long did you stay on one drill/lesson?

I guess I'm just impatient, so I've been doing my drills and then swimming laps, trying to think of what I learned in the drills. The next session, I'll take the drills to the next step, and then do my laps with those things in mind. I know it's not the right way.

on the plus side, i noticed my swimming has improved. I started swimming last year, did my first tri in Sept, then didn't do any swimming until I got this book about a month ago. And without actually being in the pool, it seems like I'm way past where I left off back in the Fall. Whereas I used to have to basically stop at the end of each lap, i did my first pool workout with nothing but drills, then in subsequent sessions, I started adding laps and doing sets of 100s no problem. If nothing else, I feel like I'm swimming much more relaxed now. Not worrying about speed, although as Terry Loughlin says, that is a by-product of it all, and sure enough, I am swimming faster than last year.

Edited by runnerx 2004-03-09 12:47 PM
2004-03-09 12:58 PM

Toronto
I am impaitent as well. During each swimming workout, I will do a drill for 25M & swim for another 25M. I would like to FEEL the difference immediately.
2004-03-09 7:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Runnerex - you are right on - the time will improve. And - patience is not one of my biggest assets either - trying to do that with the drills simply because I can see it working and I've watched other folks totally transform their swimming.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Total Imersion Thread Rss Feed