General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Gait Analysis After Biking Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-27 5:44 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: Running Gait Analysis After Biking

Anyone have a running gait analysis performed immediately following a bike workout?

I've been wondering if there's any benefit to doing that, as opposed to just walking in off the street and having someone watch me run. I've had a few over the years... each time I've been told I'm either neutral or a pronator. Somewhere in between I expect, but I wonder if there is some fatigue factor off the bike that would effect my gait to the point that some stabilization is necesary. I'm currently in Brooks Adrenaline GTS 8's, which the manufacturer web site indicates are for moderate pronation...

I'm thinking of having two evaluations done, one cold and one off the bike to see if there's any difference.  I'm curious to hear if anyone else has done this... Thanks.

2008-11-28 9:07 AM
in reply to: #1829039

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Running Gait Analysis After Biking
what sort of run gait analysis are you getting? video? is that with a high speed camera analyzed frame by frame from different angles? what are they analyzing exaclty? running economy?
2008-11-28 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1829039

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Another option to see if there is a difference when you are fatigued would be to do one at the end of a long run ...... If your legs are tired, it is not going to matter whether you are coming off the bike or towards the end of the run.
2008-11-28 9:37 AM
in reply to: #1829375

User image

Elite
Texas

JorgeM - 2008-11-28 9:07 AM what sort of run gait analysis are you getting? video? is that with a high speed camera analyzed frame by frame from different angles? what are they analyzing exaclty? running economy?

Heh... you know those are great questions Jorge. Thanks for that. Now I know what to ask up front ahead of driving 100 miles each way.

I've had the high speed multi-angle analysis performed only to have the guy sit on the tape for a month and then decide he was no longer in business. I've also had a shoe sales girl/college cross country runner lean over and watch my feet while I was walking and say "yeah you're definitely neutral". I had a FOOTMAX assessment a year or so ago that indicated I was a pronator, but I didn't drop the $300 on the orthotics, I just went back to my motion control shoes from a previous analysis that said I pronate.

My GOAL with the analysis would be to make sure I have the right shoes and ideally to identify areas where I can improve my running economy. I don't know the degree to which those two concepts are linked however...

2008-11-28 9:38 AM
in reply to: #1829379

User image

Elite
Texas

Daremo - 2008-11-28 9:12 AM Another option to see if there is a difference when you are fatigued would be to do one at the end of a long run ...... If your legs are tired, it is not going to matter whether you are coming off the bike or towards the end of the run.

Good point.

2008-11-28 10:26 AM
in reply to: #1829379

Expert
Southeast

Daremo - 2008-11-28 10:12 AM Another option to see if there is a difference when you are fatigued would be to do one at the end of a long run ...... If your legs are tired, it is not going to matter whether you are coming off the bike or towards the end of the run.

Is this right?  What I mean is:  the specific joints and muscles that feel tired (for me) at the end of a long run are not precisely the same as the ones that feel tired (for me) after a long bike.  Maybe others have a similar experience.   So what I'm wondering is whether the effect on running form or economy might not be different in the two cases.  Just curious.

2008-11-28 8:40 PM
in reply to: #1829398

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Bill - 2008-11-28 9:37 AM

JorgeM - 2008-11-28 9:07 AM what sort of run gait analysis are you getting? video? is that with a high speed camera analyzed frame by frame from different angles? what are they analyzing exaclty? running economy?

Heh... you know those are great questions Jorge. Thanks for that. Now I know what to ask up front ahead of driving 100 miles each way.

I've had the high speed multi-angle analysis performed only to have the guy sit on the tape for a month and then decide he was no longer in business. I've also had a shoe sales girl/college cross country runner lean over and watch my feet while I was walking and say "yeah you're definitely neutral". I had a FOOTMAX assessment a year or so ago that indicated I was a pronator, but I didn't drop the $300 on the orthotics, I just went back to my motion control shoes from a previous analysis that said I pronate.

My GOAL with the analysis would be to make sure I have the right shoes and ideally to identify areas where I can improve my running economy. I don't know the degree to which those two concepts are linked however...

If your shoes are comfortable to run short and long distance they most likely will work for you for a mary off the bike during an IM. If your stride suffers off the bike it is going to be more due to a lack of endurance (fitness) than anything.

I would ask many questions before you drop down $$ for a gait analysis. The truth is that unless you get your gait analyzed with high speed camera frame by frame from different angles it is hard to tell anything about it. The equipment for this analysis is expense hence this tends to be pricey, yet the feedback you can get is limited to biomechanics. In terms of running economy the only way to measure this is by testing in a lab (how much oxygen you use for a given speed) and how changing your gait or running shoes can affect it. You will have to test before with your usual gait/shoes and after with a change in gait or sneakers and compare results.

Without this no one can tell you whether you are more economical or not! If someone says so, RUN away! They are just trying to sell you something Anyway, there is evidence that suggest that cushions shoes improve economy because in theory it reduces muscle work due to the shock absorption when landing. If you want to improve running economy you just need to run more; that’s the simplest thing to do. As you run more your body adapts and adapts to best natural gait to deal with the load and as you grow fitter you also improve your oxygen consumption which in turn makes your economical.

Here is a good read: http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/12/running-economy-part-iii.html

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Gait Analysis After Biking Rss Feed