General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip Flexor Pain or not?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-29 9:31 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: Hip Flexor Pain or not??

First things first... I am experiencing a lot of pain and tenderness and tightness in my hip just above the hip bone.  It is further aggravated when I bend sideways at the hip and worse depending on the angle I am pulling the hip at.  I have had ITBS in both legs but this is more so just affecting my right side. Is it my hip flexors or is it something else?

Second it is not so bad that it is stopping me from training but it does hurt and I can't roll onto that side while sleeping.  What can I do about it?  I have been trying to foam roll it, but that is either too tender or I can't it the right spot.  Rubbing it with a tennis ball has been helping a bit as well as all the stretching at different angles.   Any other ideas.  Anything will be appreciated!

2008-11-29 10:14 PM
in reply to: #1830603

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Hip Flexor Pain or not??

It may be your periformis muscle - if so you better take care of it now before it gets out of hand.  It can devleop into a syndrome, they call it of course, periformis syndrome.

It is a deep muscle in your glutes, and is about one of the only muscles that comes into direct contact with a major nerve, in this case the siatic nerve.  I once thought I had thrown my back out, was having spasms and couldn't stand up straight, etc ... but come to find out it was the periformis.

When this muscle tightens or inflames, it presses against the siatic nerve and symptoms can be numerous, such as back ache, shooting pains down the leg, tingling, numb or tingling feet, etc ....

A good deep tissue massage can most likely take care of it.  I finally got mine under control and now whenever I go in for a massage I always ask for 4-5 minutes work on my periformis, even if it isn't acting up, but just for good measure.

a good way to tell if it's the periformis is to sit in a chair somewhat like a kitchen table chair or something, toward the edge.

If it's your left hip for example, cross your left foot over to your right knee, like how a man crosses his legs.

Try to form a right angle with your left leg, with your left knee straight out from your torso and your left foot up on your right knee.

Now, bend forward as though you are going to touch the floor (or your toes as if both feet were flat on the floor.)

If where you feel the most stretch is the area of your pain, it is most likely the periformis (or that area anyhow.)

This same stretch is a good stretch to help this, plus something called the Hippy Stretch.

The hippy stretch is just a modified way of bending over and touching your toes.  From a standing position keep your legs as straight as possible.  I am able to lock my knees, some may not be able to.

I bend at the waist and touch my toes or the floor (or go as far as you can.)

Then bend your right knee.  You will naturally lean a little bit toward the right and you will feel a longer, deeper stretch on your left leg and in particular your left hip.  For added stretch I will also walk my fingers along the floor to the right side of my right foot, and then walk them back across and eventually to the left side of my left foot.

Then bend both knees, straighten them both back out, .... now bend the left knee and really feel teh stretch on your right side leg and hip... while in this position I also kind bend a little sideways from the waist to really get as much stretch in the opposite hip of the bent knee.

Hope this helps!

2008-11-30 6:02 AM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Hi... thanks for your long comment.  I tested that muscle sitting in the chair and I could feel that one stretch but it isn't the one causing me problems   This is is higher up around almost on my lower back above my hip.  I think I am going to do some research at work... can anyone help?!?
2008-11-30 6:33 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Based on your explanation it could be a number of things, maybe the psoas, maybe the quadratus, maybe something else (helpful, huh?) I thought this link might be helpful to you.  It will at least provide stretches for various areas for you to experiment with.  I always have to remind myself where the pain is may not be where the problem actually starts:

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/muscles/allmuscles.php

2008-11-30 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

^^^

What she said.

A lot of times where you feel the pain is called "referred" pain.  I kept having pain in the side of my neck but found out it was coming form further down, a muscle in my back right around the shoulder blade.

This might be another good reason to see a good massage therapist that specializes in deep tissue massage.  They may be able to pinpoint the exact location of where the pain is actually coming from or what is causing it, and if not you may have to go to a doctor but at least you still got a good massage.  Smile  Smile

2008-11-30 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

oops!  Double post.  Is there no way to delete posts?

Edited by klowman 2008-11-30 12:54 PM

2008-11-30 1:06 PM

User image

Master
PA
Anytime i have issues I go straight to a deep tissue massage guy who works on athletes specifically.  I'm amazed how much I've learned about my body, where I get tight, what stretches I need to stay on top of, etc as a result.
2008-11-30 4:21 PM
in reply to: #1830718

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
crea0029 - 2008-11-30 6:02 AM

Hi... thanks for your long comment.  I tested that muscle sitting in the chair and I could feel that one stretch but it isn't the one causing me problems   This is is higher up around almost on my lower back above my hip.  I think I am going to do some research at work... can anyone help?!?

Hi...just wondering if you have figured out your hip pain yet? I have the EXACT same pain, only in my left hip. The pain is actually right ON my iliac crest, which is the pointy part of the pelvic bone, right near the waistline. It's tender to the touch, hurts when I do any kind of ITBS stretch (particularly, the one where you cross one foot over the other, and bend away from the affected side), it hurts to lay on it, and like your experience with the foam roller...it's way too tender to do any rolling/massaging on. I've had to really scale down my running, to almost nothing, for the last 3 weeks...because it just hurts too much when I run. I've tried googling "hip pain", and have done some lengthy research on hip bursitis, ITBS, iliac crest avulsion, hip pointer, SI joint, and a long list of others...but have yet to really pinpoint what is going on with my left hip. I've been to my chiro already, and at first he thought it was bursitis, but then changed his mind and now thinks it's related to my lower back (I have spondylolisthesis at the L5/S1 level, which is a fancy word for slipped vertebrae). My chiro also did some trigger point therapy/myofascial release therapy on both piriformis muscles, saying that they were extremely tight.

Anyways...I'd love to hear your thoughts and/or ideas if you were able to find any info. Thanks!

2008-11-30 4:51 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Well I'm still doing my research.  It is really hard to explain the location because it is hard to find unless I am pushing on it.  Foam rolling is impossible... it hurts way too much, sleeping on it also hurts bad.  Most days I can run on it, bike on it and it just gets really really tight and doesn't hurt during daily activities.  Today I am feeling it when I move certain ways but again... not all the time.

I looked up some local massage therapy and that is where I am planning on going next.  I also have a friend on here who had hip problems.  I am going to drop her a message.  I WILL figure this out! 

2008-11-30 6:31 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs
It might be Greater Trochanteric Bursitis.  This is pretty common.  It can be associated with the ilio-tibial band.  It is also associated with bad footware, running on uneven surfaces (sides of roads) and leg length discrepincees (sp?).  
2008-11-30 6:41 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Well your discription is actually kind of vague.  Hip flexors are in the FRONT of your hip in your groin.   Do you have groin pain?  Pain on the SIDE of your hip can be greater trochnteric bursitis/ ITBS.  I have people come to me complaining about "hip" pain everyday and sometimes it their groin, somtimes its on the side sometiems its their SI joint and sometimes its their back and not their hip at all.  It sounds like Greater trochbursitis and proximal ITBS

2008-11-30 6:52 PM

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
When my hip flexors were flaring up, they were tolerable until I drove home from work (40 minutes).  I would stop at the mailbox and couldn't lift my feet out of the car without pain.  It was in the front of my pelvis and seemed like it was connecting my thigh to my pelvis (thus the name hip flexor).  Is that where it hurts?  And yes, it's really hard to get to as far as massaging it or stretching.
2008-11-30 8:28 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Nope... not in the front.  This tenderness and pain is on the side of my hip and not in my back.  If you put your hands on your hips right on that pelvic bone... that is where I am feeling it on the right side.  It seemed to loosen up tonight when I did some light biking.  Man, I would like one triathlon season where I wasn't fighting injuries!!
2008-11-30 8:31 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
I also tried stretching out my IT bands good (I have had ITBS that required PT) and even though I have a bit of tenderness which I always have, it was not anymore additional pain than that.   I think I can rule out IT stuff and hip flexor stuff.
2008-11-30 9:48 PM

User image

Expert
WV

Glut medius or minimis?  These help to abduct the leg when the hip is extended...plus a few other things.  check this out....

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/GluteusMinimus.html

2008-12-01 10:23 AM

User image

Regular

I would be curious what you come up with.  I have pain in the same area on my left side.  Pain is only when the left leg is weighted.  One of the things I find painful is to place my right hell out in front of me and bend forward.  Puts almost all my weight on my left leg.  If I switch legs and put my left heel out and bend forward I am fine.

This started back in July and I have had 2 x-rays (clear), 3 months of PT 3/wk for an hour each session (no improvement) and the MRI I had 2 weeks ago came back negative.  So now I am looking at a bone scan according to the doc.   Up until 2 weeks ago they had bene letting me continue to bike but have now restricted that in case it is aggrivating the mystery injury.  Wish I could figure it out soon so I coudl get back to running

2008-12-01 11:08 AM
in reply to: #1831474

User image

Veteran
NYC
Your description sounds like bursitis and or tendonitis. I had bursitis in my hip and it was very painful, especially during turning motions and sleeping on it.

Go see your sports doc, it is very treatable in a short time span. Good luck!
2008-12-01 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1832339

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
I've been battling hip pain for some time with no success.  It started on the side near the iliac crest and time off helped but it has now migrated more towards the front of the hips.  It is only my right side which is also the side I get ITBS on.  Laying on a tennis ball seems to help if I am consistent.  I just noticed that biking seems to irritate it.  I don't have any issues sleeping on my side.  As a matter of fact sometimes it makes it feel better to sleep on my side an curl up in the fetal position.  I am hoping to start a fulltime job at the beginning of the year where I will have good health insurance and I will go see someone.  For now being self employed I have to make due.  It sucks and I am hoping it will go away but that is just not happening.  Rest has done nothing for it so I am clueless at this point.

Edited by csharp1171 2008-12-01 11:16 AM
2008-12-01 5:29 PM
in reply to: #1830635

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
klowman - 2008-11-29 11:14 PM

a good way to tell if it's the periformis is to sit in a chair somewhat like a kitchen table chair or something, toward the edge.

If it's your left hip for example, cross your left foot over to your right knee, like how a man crosses his legs.

Try to form a right angle with your left leg, with your left knee straight out from your torso and your left foot up on your right knee.

Now, bend forward as though you are going to touch the floor (or your toes as if both feet were flat on the floor.)

If where you feel the most stretch is the area of your pain, it is most likely the periformis (or that area anyhow

BINGO! Wow, I have had this same issue for a few months with acompanied ITBS. I knew culprit was from IT Band near Hip, but this stretch may have helped prove it. Like others mentioned, it is worse after a long ride and not so much bothered by swim or run. However, after foam roller etc and also doing hurdler stretch and a few others, it is managable. Just wish it would go away all together. Since it is mostly after long bike, any guess on it being fit problem? I have been riding for a year+ with no sauch issue, would fit now change?

Sorry to jump OP, but this was great thread to see.

2018-08-20 4:50 AM
in reply to: crea0029

I Knee and hip pain and it has orthofeet shoes that I have no pain with them. In fact, this is the only shoe. I was worried about buying these online because I couldn't try them on first, but the customer service chat helped me narrow down the style I was looking for - knee pain and joint instability. They feel great and I'll be looking for one of the pairs of dressy shoes soon! I really wear. I work, exercise and take long walks in them. If you have any foot issue, try them. I highly recommend Orthofeet.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip Flexor Pain or not?? Rss Feed