General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Switching road bars on road bike to tri bars Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-08 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Switching road bars on road bike to tri bars
Has anybody done this? I'm planning on switching out my road bars on my road bike (shimano group components) to a tri bar set up. If I'm thinking correctly, all I will need to do will be to buy the bars (base bar and aero bars, or one piece), buy a pair of brake levers, and a pair of shimano bar end shifters (along with new brake & shifting cables). Will I need to change anything else (that has to do with the gearings of the bike)?

2008-12-08 8:43 AM
in reply to: #1843384

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Switching road bars on road bike to tri bars
No, but you will need to be really conscious of the steering geometry of the bike that you are switching the bars out on ........ because depending on the manufacturer, what fork you have and the length of stem, you could potentially put yourself in a sketchy position that could potentially cause you to wreck.
2008-12-08 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
FL

How about selling your road bike and getting a tri bike.  The net outlay may not be much different and you would have a tri bike with the right geometry. 

2008-12-08 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
Mississippi
A friend of mine who's a very prominent local roadie did that for his time trial bike for the longest time.  He loved his Specialized S-works road frame, so he used it as his TT bike exclusively . . . before Specialized came out with the Transition. . . . . for what it's worth, I just did the exact opposite of what you're doing.  I put road bars on my tri bike, lol.
2008-12-08 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
I did this and rode the bike for a year. The bike's front end was very twitchy and I never did get it really dialed in. I sold it and just bought a tri specific bike. It feels much better. I would seriously consider buying a tri bike before you spend money to try and 'convert' your road bike. If you're not sure then I would just buy a pair of clip ons to try first.
2008-12-08 10:05 AM
in reply to: #1843532

User image

Extreme Veteran
jmickle11 - 2008-12-08 9:59 AM

I did this and rode the bike for a year. The bike's front end was very twitchy and I never did get it really dialed in. I sold it and just bought a tri specific bike. It feels much better. I would seriously consider buying a tri bike before you spend money to try and 'convert' your road bike. If you're not sure then I would just buy a pair of clip ons to try first.

I did use clipons last year, they worked well! I also used a fast forward seat post from PD. The combination worked well, and I was pretty comfy on the bike. That's why I'm thinking about turning it into a tri specefic bike, since I know it *should* feel ok with a base bar and aero bars. But I guess it would suck though to not have a road bike on hand. Then again, I don't think I'd care that much.

2008-12-08 10:16 AM
in reply to: #1843548

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
kevmk81 - 2008-12-08 11:05 AM

jmickle11 - 2008-12-08 9:59 AM

I did use clipons last year, they worked well! I also used a fast forward seat post from PD. The combination worked well, and I was pretty comfy on the bike. That's why I'm thinking about turning it into a tri specefic bike, since I know it *should* feel ok with a base bar and aero bars. But I guess it would suck though to not have a road bike on hand. Then again, I don't think I'd care that much.

I would have liked to keep my road bike but in the end selling it helped me get a much nicer tri bike. If you do decide make sure you keep all of your parts to convert it back! It helps the re-sale.
2008-12-08 1:09 PM

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
I did the same thing with a Trek Y-Foil frame. I'm not sure about the issues about twitchiness but everything turned out perfect. You should be fine. Perhaps get a Profile Design Fastforward seatpost.
2008-12-08 5:24 PM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

Wifey and I did a ride yesterday, we went out for 18 miles on our tri bikes, then 12 miles on the road bikes. Our tri bikes are both QR (mine is a Caliente ~full DA, hers is a Tequlio~Ultegra/DA mix), Road bikes are both Trek (mine is a 2200~full Ultegra, hers is a 2100~Ultegra/DA mix).

We had a pretty good ride on the tri bikes, cool temps, some wind, when we got back to the house, we left right away on the road bikes. The first thing we said was, these bikes feel a lot bigger, more room (we have both been fitted on both bikes). We took the same route (just cut it a little short on second ride). It was funny, but we both found the road bikes to be way more comfortable, but just not as fast feeling (differant gearing). We compared them like this:

Tri bikes were like riding in a nice sports car (Corvette)

Road bikes were like riding in a luxury car (Cadillac)

We are very blessed to be able to have both flavors of bikes (or 3, as we have MTB's too).

If you are able to keep the road bike a road bike and buy a real tri bike, then do that.

Edited by Freeswimmingfish 2008-12-08 5:25 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Switching road bars on road bike to tri bars Rss Feed