General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Queensland Tri Series - Raby Bay Race 3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gatorade Queensland Tri Series - Raby Bay Race 3 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Brisbane, Queensland
Australia
USM Events
30C / 86F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 34s
Overall Rank = 683/735
Age Group = 25-29 female
Age Group Rank = 26/35
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night at my parents, woke up on sunday had breakfast of banana and multigrain bread with green tea. set up transition and realised that my wave wasn't going until 8:48am!!! THE LAST INDIVIDUAL WAVE! O_O
Event warmup:

watched all the other races and covered myself in sunscreen (not enough!)
Swim
  • 15m 13s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

So Greer and I were in the same wave. We meandered down to the start and the water was great! nice and BLUE. The hooter went off and away we went. I was doing great getting a three stroke rythum straight away and getting stuck straight into the cat fight that is our age group start! OI!!! There were elbows to the head, scratches to the legs and lots of scrambling in the water.
i got caught between two girls going the same speed and did an amazing hot dog roll over the top of one of them to get aroun and overtake! I was freaking amazed that it actually worked! Caught my breath and continued.
Knew I was middle of the pack coming in.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Walked into transition because I my knee was sore from launching myself up the ramp to the transition area...

Other than that transition itself was. My feet burned on the HOT bitchument though and sore knees meant that a handful of people passed me in transition.

I didn't do a flying leap. Lets call it the "scooter horse mount" :) Works for me!
Bike
  • 48m 40s
  • 20 kms
  • 24.66 km/hr
Comments:

So i head on out on the bike course. I'd passed Greer in transition and she mounted her bike quicker though and scooted in front.

I had trouble maintaining speed while getting shoes on. It was only on the SECOND lap that I realised that was due to the freaking headwind.

because I can't get out of the saddle without opening the portal to the world of pain, I felt really really slow on the inclines and rounding the corners.

As i continued riding, less and less people were on the course. On the fourth lap It felt like it was just me and the road... What happened to everybody.

Ate a gu, downed half a bottle of endura and one bottle of water...

The sun was bearing down on my back too - ouchies!
What would you do differently?:

MORE SUNSCREEN BEFORE STARTING THE RACE!!!!

More physio before racing...
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I actually skated the bike in to a stop today! YAY! I was slower running in this time because at this stage my feet were REALLY burning on the pavement! It was terrible!

Saw our "coach in training" - Mark - Who was a race official and asked how my knee was. I said terrible as I shuffled off. (I mean "shuffled!)

Maybe pull some socks on in T1... The burning feet thing wasn't so cool
Run
  • 31m 39s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 20s  min/km
Comments:

I'm actually VERY impressed with the time all things considered. This pace was the same as noosa and I'm carrying an injury this time. I was expecting to walk but instead of stopping and walking I slowed my pace until the pain in my knees dumbed down.

It was hot. The sun was BURNING and it was 10:00... Every time I passed the drink station I took 2 cups, one for my body, then one on my back to cool down that BURN...

The parents took lots of photos... Should have them in a day or two...

The second lap it was just me and a whole stack of old girls who were freaking rocking it in their age groups.

MORE MORE MORE SUNSCREEN!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Crossing the line was sheer relief. No ice availible at the finish. So I grabbed a hose and hosed my knee guard until it was cool. Got some gatorade then made my way to transition to pick up my bike. my swim cap had partially melted. :) I lost an earplug... Oh well

Hung round for the competition then went home jumped in the pool and then slathered myself in aloe vera and slept.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My knee injury above and beyond everything else.

Event comments:

I keep coming back to raby. What can I say?? it freaking rocks! It's hard to believe I did the enticer here two years ago and that started it all. I LOVE THIS EVENT! (even if the chicks go last in the QTS race in the heat)

Last updated: 2008-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:13 | 750 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 20/35
Overall: 572/735
Performance: Good
Suit: N?A
Course: A LONG U shaped course out into the middle of the channel and back.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 25C / 77F Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:48:40 | 20 kms | 24.66 km/hr
Age Group: 24/35
Overall: 658/735
Performance: Below average
Headwind going out, Tailwind coming back, crosswinds on the flat out to ormiston. FUN FUN FUN
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:39 | 05 kms | 06m 20s  min/km
Age Group: 25/35
Overall: 678/735
Course: Out and back to the Raby Bay beach - 2 laps
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-12-14 11:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD
Subject: Gatorade Queensland Tri Series - Raby Bay Race 3

2008-12-15 5:33 AM
in reply to: #1853975

Subject: RE: Gatorade Queensland Tri Series - Raby Bay Race 3

Hi I did this, as my first tri this weekend in Enticer mode, I read your previous race report on it too the night before :-)

I am not kidding when I say I was scared of the swim, I had steeled enough courage to do it , htfu etc... Then realised I had to jump in off the pontoon and do a mass deep-water start !!! I thought it was off the ramp not off deep water. 

After considering using the ladder to get off the pontoon but realising that it would look beyond funny to everyone watching, I literally held my nose with one hand and took a flying leap. The 50metrs swim and then tread wate for the mass start was not in my plan. That was thefirst time in my life ive jumped into deep water and submerged. (Spending my first 34 yrs of my life in UK meant swimming was not a lifestyle pre-requisite like here in aus).

Anyhoo, after a leisurely breast stroke supported by my own personal life guard 10 minutes later it was out and on the bike.. the rest was history. Bloody superb fun.

I agree it was boiling hot that day and we didnt have the headwind that youguys suffered in the later races. The event was fabulous, and absolute ball, can't waitfor the next few Tri's (and continuing my swimming lessons so I can at least swim freestyle).

Well done on your achievement , I cant wait till I too can be a Tri Veteran and say "2yrs ago I did my enticer"

2008-12-15 3:34 PM
in reply to: #1854028

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

Spalen! well done on your first!  I look forward to reading your race report about your first tri soon.  (i'll be keeping an eye out for it)

That pontoon jump is scarey.  The pontoon sits about a meter above the water and there are shopping trolleys and other junk laying beneath.  LOL  On the REALLY clear days you can see it.  (I used to through bread off that pontoon to the bream! playing in the trolley as a kid)

The lifesavers do a great job at each race.  And don't worry about the breast stroke.  i did backstroke during my first.   

Hope to see you at the next one.  Stick your head into the Vision tent and say hi.   

2008-12-15 7:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Nice work. I'd be happy with that run pace and I'm not carrying a knee injury . Good luck with the recovery!
2008-12-16 2:41 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Well done Maddy! I hope that knee heals up fast! I can't believe they make you swim in water where there are shopping trolleys 1m underneath you!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Queensland Tri Series - Raby Bay Race 3 Rss Feed