BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's group - FULL for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2009-02-23 10:57 PM
in reply to: #1856410

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Subject: RE: Enders_Shadow's group - FULL for now

I will HAVE to record it Leslie!!!! 

I just got back from a great massage Really it was wonderful. I feel so much better now.

Plus I posted some pics in my album from yesterdays Chilly Hilly ride if anyone wants a peak.  I'm in there, so bring your sick bag! Yip.

2009-02-24 6:03 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Happy Mardi Gras, all!

Sorry I've been a big slacker...work is kicking me while I'm down right nmow. Happy to have a stable job, but February/March is always a rough time. (No, I'm not a tax person...but March is article submission season and I have to "publish or perish.")

I'll be around...just lightly.
2009-02-24 1:02 PM
in reply to: #1978538

User image

Expert

enders_shadow - 2009-02-24 7:03 AM Happy Mardi Gras, all! Sorry I've been a big slacker...work is kicking me while I'm down right nmow. Happy to have a stable job, but February/March is always a rough time. (No, I'm not a tax person...but March is article submission season and I have to "publish or perish." I'll be around...just lightly.

Good luck!  What kind of academic person are you?  Our article submission season is year-round, but we do have PAS abstract submission season (December), PAS presentation season (May), and of course, the triennial grant submission dates (Feb, June, Oct). I'm writing a big grant that is due in June.

2009-02-26 7:17 AM

User image

Champion
Greetings from your absent mentor.

I'm a law professor - we submit in Feb/March, with a lesser season in August. Currently my article is NOT ready to ship out....and the deadlines are coming.
2009-02-26 2:01 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Hey ho!  Looks like everyone is busy!!!  Same here.  1st triathlon of the season on Sunday!!!  Doing it with a friend who's never done one before. Hopefully Leslie will be able to be there too.
2009-02-27 4:04 PM
in reply to: #1983940

User image

Champion
Triathlynne - 2009-02-26 3:01 PM

Hey ho!  Looks like everyone is busy!!!  Same here.  1st triathlon of the season on Sunday!!!  Doing it with a friend who's never done one before. Hopefully Leslie will be able to be there too.

Have a great race, Lynne! And I hope your friend loves it...I took a friend to her first tri, she broke her foot coming out of the pool, finished the tri anyway, and ended up in the med tent after the race...and STILL fell in love with triathlons. Crazy sport!

2009-02-28 7:16 AM

User image

Expert

Have a great weekend everyone!  I am still in Atlanta at my son's fencing competition- I'm planning to run with one of the coaches after the tournament today, but I'm a little worried we'll be done too late.  I guess I can always do 5 miles on the treadmill if we get out too late (sigh).  Yesterday was so fun to watch- this is my son's first year fencing, and his 2nd major competition.  The last time he fenced at this level he was 90/95, yesterday he was 36/78!  I am very proud of him!  The competition today is a little harder, so we'll see how he does.

2009-02-28 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Hi everyone...

I am going on a bike ride and run with some LUNA Chix (since Lynne isn't biking with me as planned!)....it's looking nice out there, but cold!!  Have a great day!  Good luck tomorrow in the triathlon, Lynne.  I am not doing it--saving my  money for the big races, ya know!

Edit-not that it is a small race by any means, but I am talking about the HIM I hope to register for etc.....it will be a fun race at Greenlake for sure!!!

Edited by Medusa_Ann 2009-02-28 9:55 AM
2009-03-02 11:26 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Hi folks. Is everyone ok?   I am getting over the start of a cold. It hasn't amounted to much yet as I've been taking Zicam! That stuff works wonders! 

So I have been  reading about heart zones, training and how it can improve my running! Now that I have a HR monitor (Thanks Kristen) I am trying to grasp the concept of using it to make me a bit faster but I have no bloody idea where to start.  It's frustrating!  There just seems to be SO much stuff to deal with to make yourself a better athlete. Not that I will ever be elite or anything but it would be SO good to break PR's and maybe place just ONCE if I could run and bike better. You know? 

Any tips or any books etc would be great. I do have the bible and should probably read it religously.  No pun intended. 

Well I hope you're all ok out there

2009-03-03 1:09 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Lynne, this is a good book--I know KCLS has it, that's where I got it--she explains pretty well how to find your zones.  That reminds me, I need to recheck it out!  She also has a good website and puts on a lot of clinics.  I think the LUNA Chix are doing a HR zone clinic this spring, too!!

http://www.amazon.com/Sally-Edwards-Heart-Zone-Training/dp/1558505520

I've been compiling HR info for months now but don't quite know what to do with it....time to focus? Perhaps! Story of my life.  Never enough time to sit and ponder what I am actually doing.

Tonight I spent my REI dividend (details in my blog on exactly what I bought, if you are curious) but I did end up buying a little bike stand to assist with cleaning and working on the bike, so I cleaned and lubed my chain for the first time, at least the first time it's been sparklin' clean like that since I have owned it!  I biked more last weekend than I ever have in one weekend (lots of it in the rain), and feel like I have made it to a new level of bike fitness.  I love getting to this point, and don't think I got here until May last year, so am ahead of the game.  Of course, I am WAY behind on swimming.  Something always suffers.  I'll be in the pool tomorrow, though.

Hope everyone is doing well and survived Monday......

2009-03-03 9:06 AM

User image

Regular
Hi everyone,

Sorry for my lack of posts. I had family in town for the past week and my laptop is on life support, so my use of the computer has been limited.

Things here are good. We had our first rough night in a while with the little man last night, so I am on my second cup of coffee this morning.

My workouts are going well. I need to get my bike to the shop as the chain fell off last weekend and I am having issues getting it back on. I was planning on getting a tune up at the end of the month, but I'll just get it down now. I still can't motivate to get to the pool. It is going to warmup at the end of the week, so hopefully that will help.

I hope everyone is doing well and keep up the good work!!

2009-03-03 12:24 PM
in reply to: #1993372

User image

Expert

I need to try to do more specific heart rate training also.  In particular I have to stop thinking of it as a way to challenge the 220-(your age) MHR assumption!  I should probably use it more to slow myself down, than speed up .

Has anyone read Liz Robbins' book- "A race like no other: 26.2 miles through the streets of New York"?  It was recommended to me, and I'm thinking about getting it, but wondered whether other people would recommend it as well...

I'm planning on a run tonight- on the treadmill as it's 16 degrees out!

Hope everyone has a good week!

2009-03-06 1:07 AM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Hey guys. Everyone ok? Realllllly quiet in here.  Well after much searching many libraries it turns out my wait would be anywhere from 2-6 months for the book so I did some other searching and bought it online at a whopping $1 with $3 shipping from a used book store in Atlanta!  Now I can let people borrow it  

I am going swimming tomorrow with a friend, then off to a pizza place with her, her husband and my husband. Saturday I am going to see some kids I nannied for 10 years ago!!! They don't know I'm coming so it will be a HUGE surprise.  Sunday I'm riding bike with my hubby as it promises to be somewhat sunny!  An extra hour of sunlight mehopes 

Hope you're all doing ok out there! 

2009-03-09 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
Hope everyone had a great weekend!  What's on tap for the week?  I aggravated a strained pubic symphysis from last summer (grr- you ladies who have borne children will know what I'm talking about!) and I think I need to take a few easy days.  I was going to bike today but it still hurts to walk, so I think I will take it off.  I'm also in the ED tonight working so I'll be doing a lot of walking around.  I'll see if I can get a swim in at some point.  There's a master's group I'd like to join, but it closed.  There's another open, but the practices are early and make it harder to help with the kidschlepping.  Sigh...
2009-03-09 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Ouch!  Good luck on walking around at work....lots of ibuprofen maybe?  I know what you mean about kid schlepping and the inability to go where/when you want.  It is tough.  Mine is watching a lot of TV today so I can clean up my house--preschool was cancelled for snow yet again--it's lovely and sunny out now of course, and I want to run!!!  But no, kid is here, although I could stroller him....hmmm.

Yesterday I rode my bike on the trainer for over two hours (thanks, snow).  That is by far the longest I have ever done a trainer ride and actually the first time I have used it in months.  Today I have a Daylight Saving hangover and need a nap.

The rest of the week is pretty short workouts, although the weekend will be the St. Patrick's Dash with Lynne and thousands of others.  I think Thursday I am swimming with a friend, and Friday, the sun is due to be out, roads should be dry, and I need to ride my bike!

2009-03-10 8:16 PM

User image

Regular
Great job on the 2 hour trainer ride!!!

Things here have been a little hectic, so I am sorry for the lack of posts. I was supposed to run 11 miles this past Saturday, but the wind had other plans for me, so I am going to try to run 11 again this weekend. If everything works out, I am going run the Olathe half marathon at the end of the month. We'll see. My knees have been feeling pretty good, so I hope they stay that way.

Otherwise not much else going on. I hope everyone is doing well!!!

2009-03-16 2:32 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

It's so quiet!  How is everyone doing?  I should check blogs.  I know.

I got my Heart Zone book. I also bought a Garmin Forerunner 305 from Amazon for $134.  It's refurbished with warranty.  

My folks have decided to hold off on their trip as my Mum just isn't doing too well at the moment

Still haven't signed up for any tri's this year. 

2009-03-16 3:38 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Lynne, I haven't signed up for any tris either, so don't worry about that. With our current economy, I think the enrollment period will remain open for longer.  I think I am going to end up doing less races and more training this year, as I find I just love the training and get irritated by the logistics of a lot of the races.  That said, Lynne and I are DEFINITELY doing the Moses Lake Oly and also road tripping to Ellensburg for a race....so there!

The weather here has just sucked lately, especially on weekends, making biking annoying at best, and mostly impossible.  Please send us northwesterners some sunshine, please !!

I am pretty happy that I got in the pool FOUR times last week, a record for me, including a Friday swim with Lynne.  Geez, my whole post is about Lynne. Well, you can see we are pals!    Great minds think alike!

What's on everyone's training plan this week--and any upcoming races???

2009-03-16 4:02 PM
in reply to: #2021307

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Medusa_Ann - 2009-03-16 1:38 PM

Lynne, I haven't signed up for any tris either, so don't worry about that. With our current economy, I think the enrollment period will remain open for longer.  I think I am going to end up doing less races and more training this year, as I find I just love the training and get irritated by the logistics of a lot of the races.  That said, Lynne and I are DEFINITELY doing the Moses Lake Oly and also road tripping to Ellensburg for a race....so there!

The weather here has just sucked lately, especially on weekends, making biking annoying at best, and mostly impossible.  Please send us northwesterners some sunshine, please !!

I am pretty happy that I got in the pool FOUR times last week, a record for me, including a Friday swim with Lynne.  Geez, my whole post is about Lynne. Well, you can see we are pals!    Great minds think alike!

What's on everyone's training plan this week--and any upcoming races???

We're doing Ellensburg too?  Well how about here as well then? http://www.3rrr.org/?f=4002&activityID=390

hehehe

Maybe we could BOTH do HIMs?  I dunno. I have July free now to train. I just need to do it RIGHT!

2009-03-19 11:18 AM

User image

Expert

What's everyone up to?  It's very quiet here...  I am trying to get back into workouts- it has been nutty between home and work, not to mention the injury...

2009-03-19 2:09 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

It is quiet!  I am going for a job interview tomorrow to nanny for a new family. I've been with this one for 6 years!    They are grown and off to college now though. I'm really nervous!  I wanted to do something entirely different but with the current economy its not such a good idea..

Start 1/2 marathon training on Monday.....6 weeks till my next one! 

2009-03-20 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

TGIF!  Hey all!

It's been a pretty good week, workout wise.  I took a rest day earlier in the week, but decided that I don't like rest days and need to at least do something to get a dose of endorphins every day even if it's nothing major.

I am now signed up for the Mt. Si Relay in April....five runners complete ten legs totalling 57 miles of trail running.  I am leg 5 (6.1 miles) and leg 10 (3.5 miles plus the glory of finishing!).  To train, I am going to be doing several two-a-day runs.  I did two on Wednesday (5 miles in the AM, 4 miles in the PM) and felt good the next day....but I want to keep improving.  My speed is getting better lately, which is nice. I was going to run a 1/2 this weekend, but opted out since I am still frustrated by lack of time during the week to complete a long run and haven't done one for a very long time. Since I have to go work out the whole following weekend in San Francisco, I want to have fresh legs for it, and no blisters.

My biggest frustration is lack of bike time.  Any ideas on how to get a ride in during the week when I have a kid with me?  I know the answer is probably tow the kid in the bike trailer....which only attaches to my mountain bike...so if the rain ever stops I may choose that option over not biking.  I've been trying to hit spin classes and ride the trainer, but it isn't the same mentally.  In fact, the spin class yesterday was not very good--the teacher was distracted and disorganized....but better than nuthin'!  I am really starting to worry about how I will get any training done once school is out!!  I guess I'll swap with other moms and make it work--somehow I got it done the past two summers.  Not sure if I'll do a HIM or not, gonna wait and see how it plays out.

What's everyone up to this weekend?? Races?  The season is looming!!!

2009-03-22 1:14 PM

User image

Regular
Hi everyone!!

Sorry again for the lack of posts. I have been doing more traveling for work, and my son has been sick, so computer time has been limited.

I have the Olathe Half Marathon coming up next weekend, so I am easing up a little on the workouts. I feel pretty good. My right achilles had been acting up, I think from yoga, but it felt fine on my run yesterday. My initial goal was to try to break 2 hrs for the race, but I think that may be pushing it. I am going to start off with the 2:05 pace group and if I feel good after 5-6 miles, I'll speed up. I know I won't break 2 hrs that way, but I will feel much better than going out too fast and struggling to finish.

I also finally got my bike worked on, except one of the pads on my aerobars flew off on my way home, so I had too order a new one. I still hope to ride outside a little bit later todaym just hope the wind dies down a little.

Hope everyone is doing well.

2009-03-31 8:00 AM

User image

Expert

Wow!  I was thinking I have been really out of touch, but it looks like I'm not the only one!  Helloooo out there! 

I was traveling last week, and caught a cold (!), so I haven't been running, but I really need to start again.  I've also been thinking more about starting back up with yoga- I need to figure out how to budget it in, but if I can I think it helps to keep me balanced (in many ways!).  And I have to start biking, and get into the pool.  The grant is keeping me busy, as is all of my upcoming travel and presenting.  And I'm moving my office, and the house is on the market.  See point above about needing balance and time for myself...

I think the 1/2 Mary is out of reach with this last hurdle- I just don't see getting the mileage up without injuring myself.  I may do the corporate challenge instead- it's 3.5 miles so I can focus on speed instead of distance. 

What's everyone else up to?

2009-04-01 7:39 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Holy cow!  Found our group way down on the bottom of the page....time to refocus, people!!!

I got home last night from five glorious days in the Bay area.....Fri-Sun were days filled with training sessions and seminars with the LUNA Pro teams as well as members from all 27 LUNA teams from around the country.  It was pretty amazing to be surrounded by all those athletes!  Great fun, learned some stuff, got a uniform, etc etc.  And yes, lots of LUNA bars!    Swam in SF Bay coached by a record IM swimmer..... the IM bike world record holder was coaching the people who had brought or rented bikes--I may do that next year.  Altogether very awesome.  Then I hung with a BT friend who I finally got to meet in person (hi Erin!) and we had a great afternoon strolling the SF waterfront.  Spent the remainder of the weekend with a friend from college who lives in a new, gorgeous home in the Castro district.  Unbelievably nice.  And I stayed in their guest apartment, so peace and quiet for the first time in a while!  He and I did a 7-mile run across the Golden Gate bridge...during which there was a 4.4 earthquake, which we did not feel.  Great run, although my lungs were not feeling great that day--due in part from going from no pollen to full blooming flowers and trees everywhere (and am now back to the cold, gray rainy/snowy winter, ugh).  We saw another friend of ours from college who just had a baby, and spent some hours walking with her and the new baby up lots of SF hills.  Of course, lots of yummy meals, sunny sunshine, and drinky drinks.  By yesterday my lungs were feeling worse and I was starting to get sick--so I had a rough flight home, but managed to survive!  Today I have been a total slug and plan on resuming my life tomorrow.  Anyway, that's the quick and dirty update from me.  I have a busy race schedule about to kick in and I need to get registered for some of the stuff and make sure my training plan is happening.  I've posted a few photos in my log, including some motivational ab photos.  You'll see.  Check it out.

Anybody else racing soon?  I hear Ms. Lynne reg'd for a HIM! Wow!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's group - FULL for now Rss Feed  

of 16