BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Turtlegirl's group -for the slow and steady!--FULL! :) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2009-01-27 4:48 AM
in reply to: #1928374

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Turtlegirl's group -for the slow and steady!--FULL! :)
Karla, I feel your pain! ugh. thats frustrating.....I'm on a swimming hiatus myself.  Hopefully the shoulder shouldn't affect any running plans...

2009-01-27 2:31 PM
in reply to: #1930888

User image

Veteran
Gainesville

I saw the Dr. yesterday and he thinks I damaged the cartilage between the first rib and the breast bone.  He said that I could do whatever the pain allows.  I can't imagine swimming right now, but I am encouraged that the pain is the only limiter and that it will heal on its own.  It is still VERY sore but I got on the bike trainer for a bit today and was pleasantly surprised by the fact that it felt okay.  I will keep that up and maybe try the elliptical trainer before I actually try to run.

What has caused you to have to stop swimming for the moment?

2009-01-28 12:26 PM
in reply to: #1932011

User image

Elite

that sounds good!!  I pulled something in my rib that hurt for about a week, but not so much that kept me from training, just was painful at times.  Sounds kind of like that, an intercostal sprain?  My friend broke a rib and that was pretty painful for 2 weeks, then she was normal, so even if its that, not too bad.

Something bad to my shoulder.  Hurts with pulling back repeatedly...I can do about 300 m, then I feel it every stroke. Not good. I'm taking a month off.

I just hate new injuries. I've never had any shoulder issues, with the exception of a few from doing too much IM sets (fly is a no no for me).  I think this is a result of pushups.   Been ongoing since Thanksgving....unfortunately, I can't get to the doc till March 17!

2009-01-28 2:46 PM
in reply to: #1858909

User image

Veteran
Do you have any advice for the rest of us on how to avoid injury and train safely?
2009-01-28 3:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville

My best advice is don't start riding horses or skiing unless you learned as a kid!  : )  Swimming, biking, and running seem much safer!  I'm sure Amy will have more sage advice regarding triathlon training related injuries.

Amy, that's a bummer about your shoulder.  Injuries definitely put a damper on things.  My only experience w/ shoulders was about 6 years ago when I got throttled from a 2 year old named Flip.  Hmmmm.  He was getting broke for the track.  I was only on for a split second before I was ejected.  I dislocated my right shoulder.  It healed up great and I haven't had any trouble since.  My short stint of riding baby horses was very educational, but I also learned that letting someone else get them through that phase is key to avoiding injuries!!!

-Karla

2009-01-29 9:04 PM

User image

Denver,CO
I got in the pool last night. It felt great. My Triathlon club had a swim assessment. I felt like I was on top of the world.
Then... a car accident on the way to work this morning. My body is stiff. I am hoping after seeing a chiropractor and a massage therapist I can start working out again next week sometime.

Just when I was getting excited to start working out and getting serious for my first Triathlon this year in May.

I say things happen for a reason. So I need to listen to myself for once.

2009-02-04 8:45 PM
in reply to: #1936781

User image

Elite
What happened in the car accident? May is a long time away...no worries.  if its a sprint,  you can get fit enough for it in two months.
2009-02-04 8:50 PM
in reply to: #1934052

User image

Elite

Sarah Ray - 2009-01-28 2:46 PM Do you have any advice for the rest of us on how to avoid injury and train safely?

BTW, great advice on the horses and skiing.   and yes, I now PAY people to break horses for me. I did that in college.  When I still bounced.

I gotta tell  you what I think is MOST key is being so in tune with your body. You will hear it whisper, then it will start whining, then talking, then it will scream.  At the scream point, thats the, don't do any more, you need to stop and see the doc!

I try to rehab and back off at the whine stage. I'm a big fan of my foam roller (check those out, or the TP massage ball package) and getting REGULAR massages.  I go at least once a month.  That is the number one thing that let me toe the line at my ironman!

Finally, have someone work on your technique in swimming (lessons are WELL worth it). If you can, have your running gait analyzed (that didn't do me much good, I didn't have much wrong, but it may be great for you), and if you feel ANY pain on the bike, find a bike fitter that is very reputable, and keep going back till it doesn't hurt. I travel three hours south for mine, and I trust him implicitly b/c he is so good with biomechanics.

prevention, prevention, prevention.  Thats the key!  

2009-02-04 9:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks Amy. That sounds like great advice and I'd like to get more!! I think you have a lot to offer as a mentor that I may be missing out on. Are there some discussion topics that can be started in our group where all of our members can chime in to receive inspiration/motivation/instruction . . .
2009-02-05 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville

Thanks for the injury prevention advice! 

I have made a few attempts to contact Eric Sorenson, but have not been able to get in touch.  I had a fit done at the Haymarket bike shop and it sounds like there are lots of different bike fit systems/philosophies.  The guy definitely improved my fit, but I have a really long femur, so I think ideally, my seat should be pushed back a lot farther, and the top tube of my bike is already a bit long for me.   I don't want to spend $ on a new frame, but I don't think I can acheive a great fit w/ what I have.  Do you have thoughts on different fit systems, and also on how close is close enough?

I am also interested in your thoughts on other topics.  For example, I just bought some free-styler paddles and zoomer fins, but I have not started using them.  Do you think these are helpful, and if so, how should I fit them into my training for max benefit?

Also, in a year long training plan (or from now to September, say), should hills and some speed work (intervals) be a weekly part of runs, or just certain phases of training?

-Karla

2009-02-08 7:43 PM
in reply to: #1947302

User image

Elite

Eric is good....I too am in need of some fine tuning. I LOVE Jay Dicharry, he's with the Speed Clinic at UVA in Charlottesville.  Might be reasonable for some folks. For me, its 3  hours away...so its an all day adventure, but his expertise is unmatched (he used to work at the US Olympic training facility with US cyclists in Colorado).  He also does running gait analysis, and its all very reasonable. You can get a regular fit at $150 or a 3D fit for $300.  and he'll spend easily 2-3 hours with you....

I can't get there till April, so I may have to find someone in the meantime. I have someone I like in MD, but may venture to Conte's in VA, sinc eI need some tweaking done with my bike. I miss having the boyfriend around to help me with squeaks and grinding noises....thats one thing I've GOT to learn more about (that and cooking!).

I had spent $450 on a new fork trying to get my first Quintana Roo bike to fit me, and the top tube was simply to long. That year, Cervelo had just released its first entry level tri 0bike, the Dual, and I was in love, b/c it had so many ways to adjust the fit.  Look into smaller stems (that will help with reach) or if you can get a seat post that can go in two positions (forward or slack). Those may help!

I think zoomers and paddles add to swim more mentally than anything...my reward for swimming a long workout (for me about 2800-3000 meters) is that I can finish it out to get to 3200 (always my goal swim) with my flippers and kicking. I love kick sets...but I feel like they are too easy!  So, I have to "earn" them.

Paddles you have to  be more careful with. they will teach you proper hand entry but you don't want ones that are much bigger than your hand, or it can lead to shoulder injuries.

As far as speed and hills, I have to tell you, all my trail runs are doing me a WORLD of good!!!  Flat seems SOOOO much easier now!  I now am a big believer in frequency over quantity (lots and lots of short runs vs longer runs but only 3 x a week).  My legs are much more healthier and happier!  Speedwork is great but can be a huge stressor if you have physical issues....I've found that every time I sign up for a series of workouts, I can't get through them... I'll never be able to do speedwork, so I'm relying on frequency and variety of terrain to make the difference.

Now for biking??? YES. Hills. lots.   I hate them, so do my IT bands, but sheesh.  they kill  you anaerobically if you're not used to them.

Good stuff!

2009-02-08 7:47 PM
in reply to: #1946313

User image

Elite

Sarah Ray - 2009-02-04 9:25 PM Thanks Amy. That sounds like great advice and I'd like to get more!! I think you have a lot to offer as a mentor that I may be missing out on. Are there some discussion topics that can be started in our group where all of our members can chime in to receive inspiration/motivation/instruction . . .

you know I'm not sure aside from this forum but I'll always be checking in! I've certainly learned from many years of stupidity, misfortune, and tons of money spent on failed gimmicks that I might as well share with you to save you the time, energy, and money!

2009-02-08 8:46 PM

User image

Veteran
LOL, I meant can you throw out some topics to initiate discussion within our group to get everyone talking and all of us gaining more of your wisdom.
2009-02-18 9:25 PM
in reply to: #1951809

User image

Elite
Where is everyone???
2009-02-19 10:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
I just got back from Austin where I ran my first half-marathon of the season!  It was a great race, well supported and somewhat challenging course.  And a fun city, for sure!!!  Now I'm anxious to get going with the season!
2009-02-19 9:57 PM

User image

Denver,CO
I am startign to swim tomorrow. I had taken time off after the car accident. But NOw I am back. First time in the pool tomorrow.

2009-02-24 11:51 AM
in reply to: #1970352

User image

Elite

Oh I really want to do the Longhorn 70.3 in Austin. I've never been there. Fun!

I found out you're doing the Shamrock half so we have to get together!!

2009-02-24 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Definitely!  I will be hanging out with dalessit and sdalessio.  I think I may even go down on Saturday and stay w/ them to save some $.  Hope to see you there!
2009-03-13 1:20 PM
in reply to: #1980328

User image

Elite

How is everyone!!!!

I just had an MRI done on both shoulders...praying that nothing is torn!

You sure have been quiet! I hope that means your busy training!

2009-03-23 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
I'm going to the Tune Up Tri this weekend to do my first triathlon.  Any advice?  Especially about transitions, the bike part, or snake swims?  (basically all of it?)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Turtlegirl's group -for the slow and steady!--FULL! :) Rss Feed  

of 4