BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Turtlegirl's group -for the slow and steady!--FULL! :) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-12-17 11:48 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Turtlegirl's group -for the slow and steady!--FULL! :)

NAME: Turtlegirl, name is Amy
STORY: Started in tri in 1999, after injuries from running forced me into biking, and biking injuries forced me to swimming. First one was on a mountain bike, finishing 485/500. Did one the next year, and then finally progressed to doing Olys in 2001, first HIM in 2006, and first IM in 2007.  I love biking and running and swimming, riding horses, and I teach for a living.

FAMILY STATUS: single but mom to a horse
CURRENT TRAINING: How you train in general (what race distance in 2008, technical or not)
THIS YEAR'S RACES: Mainly Oly's this year, NYC, Columbia, Alcatraz, St. Anthonys. A couple of sprints and half marathons as well. This was a fun travel year.
2009 RACES:  St. Anthonys to support a friend, Eagleman 70.3, Timberman 70.3, Longhorn 70.3
WEIGHTLOSS: I had an eating disorder back in college, and triathlons really helped bring me back as a complete person. I still have weight struggles (mainly b/c I eat too much!), but I'm trying.
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I am a teacher by training, and a coach by nature.  I grew up teaching riding lessons as a teenager and now teach PE, and work with a bunch of students on running. Right now I'm coaching a friend who is going from no activity to doing an Oly as her first race, and I love it.  I enjoy very much helping people start in the sport, since its brought me so much joy.  I'm not fast at all, but I know my stuff, especially when it comes to injuries, and I have a lot to offer on those topics!

Mostly, I love the sport. I love bringing people to it.  And I'd love to bring more people to the "dark side".

Edited by turtlegirl 2008-12-24 4:12 PM

2008-12-21 6:32 AM
in reply to: #1858909

Subject: RE: Turtlegirl's group -for the slow and steady!--open
Hi! I would like to join your group!

NAME: Reakbecca. My real name is Rebecca. I often use RealBecca as a username, but I made a typo when I registered for BT and didn't discover it until too late. Rather than re-registering, I figured I would just "reek."

FAMILY: Married with 4 cats. I have about a million nieces and nephews. I am 39 years old and a high school teacher and administrator. I work too much and tend to overextend myself.

STORY: Did my first supersprint tri in the spring of 2007. I was addicted, and I am trying to do more. I am very, very slow in all three events and often come in last. I am not athletic, and never have been. I was terrible at sports as a kid and never in a million years thought I would end up loving a sport. Even though I am not actually a beginner, people assume I am, and most beginners end up doing better than me in the races.

I have done a number of women's only tri's and other small distance tris. I have completed 3 sprint distance triathlons. I have 3 DNFs due to open water issues that I need to work on.

I got into triathlon through my brother who started doing tris in the 90's. He has supported me every step of the way.

I am terribly shy -- even in online settings. I have been involved in two running groups. I know running with other people can help my speed, but I get discouraged because I am so much slower than most people, and I see other people improving much more than me. It is also hard because I have such a hard time interacting with other people.

GOALS: On January 10, I will do the 2009 Disney Half-Marathon with my brother! I want to do an Olympic distance tri this year. I thought I would in 2008, but I wasn't ready yet. I want to conquer my open-water issues, and I especially want to be able to do the Louisiana Tri in April -- I DNFed there last year. I will be supporting my brother in the New Orleans 70.3. Maybe one day I'll do a half ironman.
Goal summary:
1) An olympic distance tri
2) Get comfortable with open water swimming and do the LA tri
3) Get back on track with my weight loss
4) Meet and interact with people

WEIGHTLOSS: I am 5 foot 2 inches. In November 2005, I weighed 254 pounds. I slowly lost weight until I was at 147 in August of this year. I am currently 164 pounds. My original goal was that I wanted to walk a marathon. (I still want to do a marathon -- I may get to one this year.) I started a walking program. Then I started dieting because I realized that I needed to lose weight if I was going to make progress with my walking. When my brother heard that I was walking 9 - 10 miles at a time, he got excited and said I should do a triathlon. When I first started to run, I could only run the short end of a block. When I got into a pool, I couldn't even swim one length. I could only barely ride a bike (I never rode bikes as a kid -- I learned how to ride, and that's all.) I would like to get back to where I am slowly losing weight.

Thanks!
2008-12-21 3:13 PM

Hi! I would like to join your group!

NAME: Kcantrell3. My real name is katie.

FAMILY: I am married with 1 son (he will be two in February) and 2 dogs.  I am 27 years old and am a fifth grade teacher.  Between working, bringing work home, taking grad classes to get my masters plus 30, keeping the house clean, and trying to spend as much time as possible with my family, I am having trouble finding time for myself! Case and point I have had to stop writing this response and do something for either my husband or son 5 times already!

STORY: I have been an athlete all my life, playing 3 sports in high school and field hockey in college.  I have even been inducted into my high school's athletic Hall of Fame, but now you would never know it.  I went from having the body fat % of an Olympic athlete, to being far from it and I am upset.  I am sick of tired of feeling bad about myself and I know that I need to take back my life.  My husband is pushing for another child and I refuse to have one until I am back in the shape I want to be.  Just wanting to lose weight does not seem to be motivation enough for me, I am used to having goals, so I have decided to do a mini-triathlon in July.  This will be my first endurance event, I know it is a short one, but I have never done anything like this and I do not know anything about the strategy of it so I figured I would start small.  I have run, biked, and swam my whole life, so I am hoping to do alright.  As of right now I just want to finish.  Maybe as I get in better shape I will increase my goals.

GOALS: 
1) A mini-sprint triathlon in July
2) Learn the strategies to competing in these types of events
3) begin to feel like myself again
4) Do something for me

One day- do a longer distance event

WEIGHTLOSS: Would like to get back to my college weight, and fit in my "feel good about myself" size clothes

Thanks!  

PS I have had to stop another 4 times during the course of writing the rest of it!

2008-12-21 4:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville

Hi!  I'm interested in joining your group.  My RW name is Karla.

By profession, I am a horse trainer and riding instructor.  I just got married this past spring, and am looking at leaving the trainer world and becoming a one-horse owner myself in March.  I have friends who do triathlons and who got me into running last year.  This coming year, I'd like to plan an ambitious schedule starting with my first triathlon - a mini sprint at the end of March.  I have several goals, but avoiding injury is the biggest one.  I have had two injuries in the past which required long layoffs - an ACL reconstruction in 2005 and a pelvic stress fracture this year - and not being able to be active is VERY depressing.

At the moment, I am focused on preparing for a half-marathon in February (did one last March, this will be #2).  I am also working hard to strengthen my swimming.  This past August, I couldn't swim two laps of freestyle, but I could do breast stroke okay. I have taken some swim lessons, and now I am starting to swim (very slowly) w/ our local master's group.  I am trying to keep up w/ some biking on an indoor trainer.  I have come up w/ an outline of a training plan for myself based on the Freil book (Triathalete's Bible).  I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING, but I am having fun so far, and I am excited about the coming year.  I have entered the Mooseman Olympic length in June and have a bunch of other things I want to try to do.  I don't know if it is realistic to think that I could be ready to do the Patriot Half in Sept., but I am interested in talking about that.

I had reached my goal weight and fitness level back in April when I got married, but since then, between a layoff w/ my stress fracture and some good-old-fashioned stress associated with giving up my business and preparing for a big career change, I gained a good bit of weight.  Now I feel like I am regaining some of my lost fitness, but I would love to loose 20 pounds.

I welcome any and all advice that you are willing and able to offer.  I would love to have your help!

2008-12-22 7:20 AM

User image

Elite

Hi everyone!  just found out that I was "live". I'm up in snowy albany for the weekend, so not much training going on!

I'm so excited to have you guys on board!  If I can make it through the sugar challenge, no DOUBT you guys can achieve your goals. (incidentally, day one without any diet beverages or sugar substitutes. done!)

2008-12-22 12:38 PM

NAME: Msmkaydee, name is Mary K. (like Mary Kay except without the pink caddy!)

STORY: I have always enjoyed sports and been involved with different activities like volleyball, soccer, and swimming but never committed myself to be called an athlete.  A year ago I hurt my back and was in the worst pain of my life for 7 months.  I had back surgery and refuse to be in that physical, mental, and emotional state again.  I am now 8 months post op and have been the healthiest ever in my life.  I weighed in at 235 pounds on my surgery day and have lost 45 pounds, 3 sizes, and gained 100+ pounds of confidence and determination to remain healthy and without injury.   

I used to loathe running (more like walk/jog), now I can't go a day without a quick one at the very least.  I want to do a triathlon (though it freaks me out to look at the lengths and details of the course) in 96 days, 23 hours, and 14 minutes not including the time it has taken me to type this- but whose counting Foot in mouth

I am a high school special education teacher that also runs the after school program.  I am busy but committed to my health.  Because of my time constraints, husband, three kids, and not to mention the sleep that I need to squeeze in- my training sessions are usually in the morning or late evening.  I try to fit in circuit training during lunch at our weight room but even that gets hectic. 

FAMILY STATUS: married with very supportive husband and three kids who like to harrass me about being the workout freak but they do it with love.

CURRENT TRAINING: I swim, run (walk/jog), and indoor bike with a couple days of weight training.  I NEED GUIDANCE-- thats why I want to join your group.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: None but I won't be saying that next year!

2009 RACES:  Lavaman Triathlon, March 2009

WEIGHTLOSS: I have literally ALWAYS struggled with my weight.  My mom encouraged celebrating everything with eating out.  We were very busy people, had lots of people over the house, or were out in the community doing something.  Fast food, quick meals, big meals, parties, etc was the norm.  I don't want my own children to develop bad eating habits so I have been trying to get ALL of us to make healthy choices.  Training for a traithlon helps me stay focused and goal oriented.  Losing the weight is an added bonus while strengthening my back and keeping me from being miserable again.

2008-12-22 4:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi Amy and others - I'm Sarah - I began to peruse the open mentor groups and never made it past this one. I relate to at least one thing each of you have mentioned and I would love to join this group.

BACK STORY: I began tri training in 2007 with my sights set on an Oly. in June. That race was canceled so I found a sprint near the same date, however I maintained the Oly. training schedule because I had no idea what I was doing and was afraid to change. That was great when I had a month with illness and missed workouts, I just repeated that month with no worries. The race was great and I was hooked. 2008 was me less scared and less dedicated to training and the difficulty of my race reflected my lack of commitment.

FAMILY STATUS: I am 40 years old, married with an 8 year old daughter. Both my husband and daughter are encouraging, but neither wants to join me in any workouts or races. I work at home as a writer and have plenty of time to train as well as constant temptations from the kitchen and loads of distractions trying to lure my focus elsewhere.

CURRENT TRAINING: mostly random workouts and yoga classes. I am considering hiring my neighbor as my trainer. She and I are meeting after the holidays to discuss a training plan. I'm waiting to hear what she has to say, but I like the BT Olympic 2xs balanced plan.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
Feb. 2007 Frigid 5 Mile Run
Mar. 2007 5k/40k/5k Duathlon
May 2007 Sprint Tri

2009 RACES:
• 2/14 Edmond Frigid 5 Miler
• 3/28 March in Okarche duathlon
• 5/17 Boathouse Oly Triathlon – OKC
• 5/24 Capitol of Texas Oly Triathlon – Austin w/TNT
• 6/7 Route 66 Oly Triathlon – El Reno
• 8/16 Hillapalooza Oly Triathlon – Edmond
• 9/13 Nation’s Capitol Oly Triathlon – DC w/TNT
• 9/20 Redman National Club Championship Oly - OKC
I don't expect to do all of these, but our local club has put together a great calendar this year. The Capitol of Texas and the Nations Capitol are both with Team in Training - an endurance training/fund raising division of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I like to do one race as a benefit so that all of my time is an investment in others as well as myself. I won't do both of those races. Team in Training provides coaches and training plans, so I'll need to merge that together with the BT plan and my trainer.

WEIGHTLOSS: I have always had weight issues. I easily won the part of Santa Clause in the 1st grade school play! I learned horrible eating habits as a child and still struggle with those monsters. I've always been active in sports and outdoor adventures. In 2003 I attained my weight goal with NO exercise, regained most of it and in 2007 I managed to gain 1 lb. through all of my training and racing in 2007. Now I want to combine weight loss and exercise for the first time in my life. (Confession: I've been eating peanut clusters while typing this.)

WHAT I HOPE TO GAIN: Accountability!! If I disappear for a few days I want you to track me down.

WHAT I HOPE TO OFFER: Encouragement - I have run the wrong way, freaked out in open water, fallen over on my bike, pissed off the person next to me in transition, begged for 5 minutes with the race director to discuss the number and condition of port-a-potties available on race day, raced out of town and forgot to bring my transition bag, lived to tell about it and still want to race.

WHAT I BELIEVE: I am a winner when the start gun sounds. 99% of the population never attempts to do an endurance event, so even dnf's are winners in my book.
2008-12-22 9:23 PM
in reply to: #1865577

User image

Elite

Wow Rebecca!  you have a fantastic story!  congratulations on your weight loss. That is an incredible accomplishment.  You will have to tell me all about the New Orleans 70.3, I've been thinking of doing that!

Honestly, too many people jump the gun I think with tri's. I had two solid years of swimming before I did an Olympic, and I had about 5 years of running under my belt. The biggie for me was getting comfortable with biking!  I think most people should do the route I did, sprints for a year, Olys for a couple years, then think about the 70.3, and after 5 years or so, THEN think IM.

I'm not the fastest, but I've totally "been there, done that".  And half-mary's are my new love.  If i hadn't spent so much money this year, I'd have joined you at Disney!

2008-12-22 9:28 PM
in reply to: #1868258

User image

Elite

Awesome story Sarah.  Don't worry, I got lost on a run portion of a race I had done 3 years prior.  It happens.

Great idea to start with TNT! I'll be able to join you at the DC one since I'm 20 min outside of DC.  

The most important thing is just trying to do something active every day.  If you just get in two of each sport each week, you'll be money.  

2008-12-22 9:31 PM
in reply to: #1867645

User image

Elite

Mary! I feel your pain. My mom can cook but we ALWAYS went out....geez, I've already failed the first day on my sugar challenge! I just can't give up the soda...but I'm so proud of myself for drinking about 4 bottles of water.

Its all in small victories!

You know what helps more than anything are people that you do check in with...my masters swimming peeps give me a hard time even if I'm swimming outside of masters times b/c they haven't SEEN me. So any chance you get to do something with a group of people, have at it!!  Guilt for workouts is a wonderful thing. 

2008-12-22 9:41 PM
in reply to: #1865997

User image

Elite

katie, that sounds a lot like my story of my friend.  She is pursuing her first triathlon in April and has about 80 pounds to lose.  She is now having the time of her life, training with people that are pushing her to do things she never imagined.

I can only hope that you get the same enjoyment and satisfaction out of training and working out.  My huge challenge is better eating.  I promise to you that I'll work on that since training is the fun part for me, I have to WORK at eating better.  Even though its difficult (and as a teacher, I feel your pain about time!), we will definitely feel better each time we're able to make good decisions for our bodies!

Besides, you're probably twice the athlete I am! you can do it Katie.

2008-12-22 10:16 PM

User image

Hi I am wondering if I am stil able to join your group. I am in australia?? Dont know if this will go against me???

Thanks

Lori
2008-12-23 12:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Everett

I would like to participate as well!

Me:  LauraLynne, I live in Everett WA - just north of Seattle.  I am a drafter by trade but currently laid off.  I'm making ends meet by selling Partylite candles/home decor and working at my fiancee's shop selling car parts on Ebay.  I'm engaged to my best friend, we met almost 6 years ago and he proposed this fall in Glacier Park Montana.  Our wedding is August 30, 2009.  I have 2 teenagers from my first marriage. 

Story:  I like, no, LOVE to eat.  Therefore I swim/bike/run.  In May 2008, I found I had gained 30 pounds over the winter and I vowed to lose it in 30 days.  I started going to the gym every day.  for 30 days.  and I lost about 20 pounds.  Then, at church, I found a couch to 5k group and joined.  Even after 30 days of going to the gym, I couldn't run for 2 minutes in a row.  But I signed up for 3 races, all 5k's.  I trained and ran as far as possible then walked.  first race was in June, I wanted to finish in under 45 minutes.  I ran/walked and finished in 39 minutes.  I cried like a baby.  I went on to finish race #2 in July in 37 minutes and race #3 on my 40th birthday in August in 36 minutes.  Somewhere in there, a friend convinced me to try a tri.  I signed up for one that had the athena category and figured I would just do my best.  My friend backed out of that one and I found a second one to sign up for.  I finished my first sprint tri in 1:45 and my second one in 2:15 (if I remember right - too lazy to go look it up now).  in October I did a trail run I found randomly and pushed my comfort level even farther by signed up and completing the 10k run.  Then I lost all my marbles and signed up to do a half marathon.  I finished in 3:25 - first half in 1:24 and second half in 2:01 indicating just how poorly I had trained for a long run. 

weightloss - I've always been heavy and in 2001 I topped the scales at over 300 pounds - my scale stopped there.  I was in a bad marriage and had a variety of health problems due to both stress and weight.  I did a lot of soul searching and research and had RNY gastric bypass in November 2001.  I lost 130 pounds over 12 month by walking every single day and working out 3-4 days a week.  I've slowely put some of the weight back on and recently lost 30 of the "found pounds" again.  I still have 30 more to go. 

Anyway, now it's the off season, I'm running around like a mad woman trying to make ends meet and have completely neglected my training.  I need to get back on track.

2008-12-23 9:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
I'd like to join your group. I joined a group last year that fizzled out really quickly. Here's my story. I'm Kim by the way.

In January, 2007 I found out that my marriage was over. He wasn't the person I thought I married. The first 9 months of 2007 was pure hell for me. I started drinking more and started smoking and fell into a deep depression that I wasn't sure I was ever going to get out of. Late in 2007, I had a friend tell me that I should train for a triathlon to which I promptly told her she was absolutely crazy. I had been a lifelong couch potato and wasn't about to change.

But then something happened. I'm not sure what triggered it, but something caused me to want to take control over my life. So, in February, I took the Michael Pates plan off of this website and started training for a triathlon. In my training, I found an unbelievable dedication to workout. I had a purpose when I went to the gym. I started seeing changes in my body. I found bones that I was never able to feel before. All in all, I lost 40 pounds and lowered my cholesterol to a normal level. I had more energy that I ever had before and I became an unlikely inspiration to people at work.

I completed my first triathlon on June 22nd. It was seriously the proudest day of my life. I can remember the last 100 yards to the finish line I had tears rolling down my face. I also have done a 5K, even though I still walk most of it.

Fast forward 6 months. I haven't been to the gym in at least 3 months. I'm back to my couch potato ways. I'm sinking back into depression and feel like my life is spiraling out of control. I'm still married, but will be divorced after the first of the year. I've been trying to date, but I'm just not finding anything out there. But I'm determined to get my life back on track. At this point, I'm convinced that the place to do that starts in the gym. So, this weekend, I'm going to buy a new pair of running shoes. With the weight I've lost, my feet have shrunk and my shoes are too big

So, I'm starting from the beginning. I'm going to start a sprint plan and start on January 5th. I hope to complete 2 sprint triathlons and some other races along the way. I'd also like to lose about 50 pounds by the end of the year. Oh yeah, I still need to quit smoking. I say that as I sit here wanting a cigarette really badly.
2008-12-23 10:18 PM

User image

New user

NAME: Joe

STORY: Live in Albany NY. I have done a few sprint tris and a bunch of running races. I thought I could race my way into shape in 2008, so I did about 40 races. 2 tris, 10 half marathons, a bunch of 5k's...it didnt work at all. It just made me more hungry and I ate the wrong things. I need help with good training habits and good eating habits. I am tired of walking 5ks and half marathons...

FAMILY STATUS: I am owned by two beagles (one will be 15 in March) and live with my girlfriend who is super-supportive.

CURRENT TRAINING: I got so burned out in 2008 (40 races) that I stopped training all together in November.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: There are several local tris that I want to do...but am always up for a roadtrip to race...I would like the stamina and endurance to complete an olympic distance, and a half marathon in under 2:30.

WEIGHTLOSS: Yeah...I need some of that...a lot of that...with a side of flexibility and core strength...

Edited by jmc9mm 2008-12-24 10:03 AM
2008-12-24 4:11 PM
in reply to: #1870652

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Turtlegirl's group -for the slow and steady!--FULL :)

Looking good guys!  when does everyone want to start?

By the way, I had so much fun getting my friend to swim today. She did 1000 m and wasn't even out of breath.

If I can give you guys that are non-swimmers advice, its get private lessons!  By the end of our "lesson", she was swimming on her side, kicking gently, using her hip to turn.  Swimming efficiently is so much better than long distances!

Hope your holidays are well!  I'm going to close the group, I think we got a good group!

2008-12-24 4:17 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Turtlegirl's group -for the slow and steady!--FULL! :)

here's our group! When I can get to it, I'll add everyone as friends, and hope you guys do the same. Plus add a link on my site. Please inspire/pm me any time! I'll have only limited computer access while I"m house sitting the next two weeks, so I'll get back to you when I can. In the meantime, happy holidays, and get training!

<style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

jmc9mm

tricupcake

Lauralynne

lorijayne01

Sarah Ray

msmkaydee

carteroak

kcantrell3

reakbecca

2008-12-24 7:20 PM

User image

Veteran
OMG Joe -- 40 races without weightloss -- that's me!

2009 is the year to put it all together. Let's do it.

Today I ran on a treadmill at the gym with my Nike+iPod. It's not been tracking my distance/pace correctly lately and when it register me at a 19:23 pace I decided it was time to recalibrate. I'm on the slow side, but not that slow. Usually I run only 1/4 mile to calibrate, but wanting to get a really accurate reading to track progress from this point forward I set it for 1 mile. After completing the mile, which I tacked onto the end of my workout, I got an error reading which suggested I try again. It said distance traveled does not match distance set -- I thought that was the purpose of calibrating.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else is a Nike+ user and has experienced this before. I think I may need a new battery for my shoe.

Bad news - still no accurate readings of my runs. Good news - it tricked me into doing an unplanned mile.

What kind of devices do you guys recommend? Anyone do heart rate training? Anyone use mapmyrun? Anyone use the imapmyrun iPhone application? Body bugg? Garmin? Any cool gadgets under the tree?
2008-12-24 7:37 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
geez AMy I wanna be in your group too..cause you are cool..but I don't like horses....but you know this abot me You have an awesome group chiqua
2008-12-24 7:59 PM
in reply to: #1871675

User image

New user

I have all kinds of gadgets...heart rate monitor etc. but I usually use my car to map how far I have run. I have a two mile run, a four mile run and a 6 mile run that I have mapped out...
2008-12-24 9:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
I've been trying to stay away from the gadgets because they end up overwhelming me and make me not want to workout.  I have a friend who has the Nike + and he has had nothing but problems with them.

2008-12-25 1:00 PM
in reply to: #1871519

Subject: RE: Turtlegirl's group -for the slow and steady!--FULL :)
I think I need support with why I should take swimming lessons and work on efficiency. I always read that it's better to work on form than distance, but here's my experience. I had done two open water tris (500 m and 800 m) with no problems -- I was slow and tired, but did fine. The next one I tried was scary -- lots of fast people, cold water, wave start in a small area, and I freaked out and quit after about 100 - 200 m. Then I joined a masters group. The coach is awesome, and really helped with my technique. My time improved a little bit, but not much. Like with the running, it is frustrating. I am in the slowest lane and usually cannot finish the workout even if I show up 45 minutes early. The next open water swim I attempted, I still freaked out and quit. The next two were shorter distances (400 and 500 m respectively). My brother came with me for the first one and swam beside me the whole way. The next one was in the same bayou (yes, really -- we have open water swims in bayous in Louisiana -- the race is called the T-gator. My brother assured me that any gators we would encounter were specially trained assist gators. My fear is that trailing there at the end makes me look like a tasty target ); anyway, I did fine in that one. The next one was a 800 m. I did terrible! I tried several times to quit, but the people in the canoe encouraged me. I spent so much time holding on, it took my 45 minutes to get out of the water. I was, of course, last one out (but not last to finish the race!). The next open water I tried was a 500 m. Right before it was my turn to get in the water, I noticed the seal on my goggles had fallen off. I couldn't find the seal on the sand. I went out about 150 meters, but I couldn't see because my goggles didn't work. I probably could have made it anyway if I didn't have such open water issues.

To make a short story long...I haven't been able to go to the masters swimming since school started in August. At first it didn't work with my schedule. The time is 5:45 - 7:15, and I have to be at school at 7:30. It takes me 30 minutes to shower and 20 minutes to get to school, so I like to be out of the water by a little after 6:00. I could go start a little before 5:00 -- the pool is open -- but it's so hard to get there. And the coach won't be there until I'm almost ready to get out. Also, I feel a little defeated because even though I know my form is much better after getting the help from the coach, I still had so many problems. I feel like my best plan is just to go to the Y and swim long distances until I feel completely comfortable with very long distances so that 800 m and then 1.5 K will feel like a piece of cake. Please give me some advice.

turtlegirl - 2008-12-24 4:11 PM

Looking good guys!  when does everyone want to start?

By the way, I had so much fun getting my friend to swim today. She did 1000 m and wasn't even out of breath.

If I can give you guys that are non-swimmers advice, its get private lessons!  By the end of our "lesson", she was swimming on her side, kicking gently, using her hip to turn.  Swimming efficiently is so much better than long distances!

Hope your holidays are well!  I'm going to close the group, I think we got a good group!

Edited by reakbecca 2008-12-25 1:00 PM
2008-12-25 3:15 PM

I use the route manager on this site to find the distances of my runs. I have a cat eye bike computer for my bike -- it's great. I would like one day to get a Garmin watch. My friends who use them like them a lot -- but interestingly, they get slightly different readings when running the same course. I use an Ironman Timex watch/heart rate monitor. It works very well. I should use it more for training. In racing, it helps me keep my pace up in the bike and run. I can look at my heart rate and say "Oh, I can do better than that." I also use wireless headphones I got cheap on Woot for running, and sometimes I use my MP3 player. I tend to not use them as I get closer to a race so that I have practice running without them.

Sarah Ray - 2008-12-24 7:20 PM

OMG Joe -- 40 races without weightloss -- that's me!

2009 is the year to put it all together. Let's do it.

Today I ran on a treadmill at the gym with my Nike+iPod. It's not been tracking my distance/pace correctly lately and when it register me at a 19:23 pace I decided it was time to recalibrate. I'm on the slow side, but not that slow. Usually I run only 1/4 mile to calibrate, but wanting to get a really accurate reading to track progress from this point forward I set it for 1 mile. After completing the mile, which I tacked onto the end of my workout, I got an error reading which suggested I try again. It said distance traveled does not match distance set -- I thought that was the purpose of calibrating.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else is a Nike+ user and has experienced this before. I think I may need a new battery for my shoe.

Bad news - still no accurate readings of my runs. Good news - it tricked me into doing an unplanned mile.

What kind of devices do you guys recommend? Anyone do heart rate training? Anyone use mapmyrun? Anyone use the imapmyrun iPhone application? Body bugg? Garmin? Any cool gadgets under the tree?
2008-12-25 6:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville

Sarah Ray,

I use the Nike + system and a heart rate monitor.  My Nike+ seems to work pretty well, although the clock seems to be a little off compared to my watch - as much as 20 seconds on a long run.  I think the distance is pretty close to right.  I have checked it against Map My Run and it is close enought that feel fine using it to gradually increase my distance for my training plan and using it to measure a distance w/out mapping it out first, although I would not put money on the pace that it calculates.  I do not use it in races.

As for the HR monitor, I got started on that in a strength training and exercise class that I have been doing for a couple of years.  The best thing for that was the testing that I did last year to find out my anaroebic threshold.  Now I have a better idea of my HR zones so that I can do the type of work out that I intend to be doing.  I also have a good idea of what is a sustainable effort in races, which can be really helpful in pacing myself in a new distance or new type of race.  It probably tends to make me a little conservative at the beginning of the race, but I can always push at the end and finish strong.  Once I have become familiar w/ what I am doing (5K, for example), then I seem to be able to reach a really good feel for where my HR should be at different points in the race.  The only thing is, my perceived rate of exertion cooresponds to VERY different HR's on the bike, vs. running, vs. swimming.  I feel like I use it most effectly in my running. I am interested in getting threshold testing on the bike for comparison. 

Does anyone else have experience w/ threshold testing?  If so, what test do you recommend?

I also use Map My Run.  I will often map a route and leave it on my computer screen for my husband when I am going out for 10 miles or more, just for safety sake.  I never save my routes, though.

-Karla

2008-12-26 7:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Hey - do you guys have room for one more???  Shucks, I saw your group on Xmas Eve but was at work and didn't want to feel guilty surfing the BT website for too long so figured I could sign up later when I went home - well, Christmas Eve turned into Christmas and then, what do you know -  your group is full. 

I did my first tri for my 50th birthday in '07 and shortly thereafter began overtraining and spent last year recovering from every "itis" you could get in your feet and ankles.  Now I'm healed and 10 pounds heavier and chomping at the bit to start training again - but need a group to keep me sane and not over do it.  If you're too full, I understand, but you sound like a really cool group - I'm horse lover myself (does that help?)

Tara

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Turtlegirl's group -for the slow and steady!--FULL! :) Rss Feed  

of 4