Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2008-12-18 2:14 PM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Subject: Momo's Group - (CLOSED)
NAME: momo / Maurice

STORY: I was always an athlete.. I have always enjoyed the challenge of sports. I went to see my Brother participate in the HIM in Orlando Florida in 06. I saw a blind guy pass by with a spotter, then I asked myself what's my excuse.. Since then I become more active in training, racing, and a healthier lifestyle.

FAMILY STATUS: I am single..

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now, I'm working on strength while doing the other major points of the Triathlon.. My season started late because of work and injury. I'm trying to train smarter.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Breezy Point (Achilles injury), Neptune 8K, OBX Half Marathon, and Turkey Trot 10K.. This year was a running year and a year of firsts.

2009 RACES: I have plans to run 2 half marathons, 2 sprint triathlons, and maybe a HIM. . and some of the races I did a few months ago

WEIGHTLOSS: I've have leaned up a lot since training.. Training and nutrition have played a major role in weightloss.. So naturally if eating is done conscientiously the weight will come off.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I was a beginner athlete before, I understand and remember what is was like initially to get started. I want to be a friend and encourager as well a mentor. I work with people in people in my gym all the time with training, nutrition and just accountability. I really enjoy it. It's fun.

Edited by momo 2009-01-05 12:37 PM

2008-12-27 8:43 AM
in reply to: #1861698

Veteran
Subject: RE: Momo's Group - OPEN

I would like to join your group. I got started in triathlons last year--did Breezy Point and the Richmond Sprint Tri's. Once I learned how to swim after going through a foot surgery, I entered the Breezy Point Tri. I had a blast!! After a year of swimming under my belt, I am looking forward to not getting lost in the bay this year. The discipline that I am currently having a tough time with is getting back into running after surgery. It has been frustrating! I am looking forward to working with you this winter.

Monica

2008-12-27 10:20 AM

I was just wondering if I could join your group. This will be my first triathlon, I'm planning to do an olympic one. I was inspired by seeing other people two to three times my age doing marathons and triathlons and thought why couldn't I? Originally was going to try running a marathon or a half, then my roommate got me thinking about a triathlon to save my knees a little stress. I love exercising but I hate that there's never been a final goal or purpose for what I do, which is why I'm really excited about this. Also, it's the perfect time because I'm in my final year of undergrad and somehow only have four credits left to graduate, so I need something exciting to fill my time. I'm sure once I've completed one I won't be able to hold back from another, but I know it will be a long time before I have this much time to offer anything again and to start training from scratch. I don't have a race picked out yet, but I've started training and I guess I could use all the support and encouragement I can get because yea I've never done anything like this before in my life. 
2008-12-27 3:22 PM
in reply to: #1873314

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
monicamm68 - 2008-12-27 9:43 AM

I would like to join your group. I got started in triathlons last year--did Breezy Point and the Richmond Sprint Tri's. Once I learned how to swim after going through a foot surgery, I entered the Breezy Point Tri. I had a blast!! After a year of swimming under my belt, I am looking forward to not getting lost in the bay this year. The discipline that I am currently having a tough time with is getting back into running after surgery. It has been frustrating! I am looking forward to working with you this winter.

Monica

Sure you can join my group.. Are you local? (to hampton roads). I can't wait to help you grow in the sport..

Edited by momo 2008-12-27 3:28 PM
2008-12-27 3:27 PM
in reply to: #1873405

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
teganitta - 2008-12-27 11:20 AM

I was just wondering if I could join your group. This will be my first triathlon, I'm planning to do an olympic one. I was inspired by seeing other people two to three times my age doing marathons and triathlons and thought why couldn't I? Originally was going to try running a marathon or a half, then my roommate got me thinking about a triathlon to save my knees a little stress. I love exercising but I hate that there's never been a final goal or purpose for what I do, which is why I'm really excited about this. Also, it's the perfect time because I'm in my final year of undergrad and somehow only have four credits left to graduate, so I need something exciting to fill my time. I'm sure once I've completed one I won't be able to hold back from another, but I know it will be a long time before I have this much time to offer anything again and to start training from scratch. I don't have a race picked out yet, but I've started training and I guess I could use all the support and encouragement I can get because yea I've never done anything like this before in my life. 

Come on and join the Fun.. Sure you can join my group.. I look forward to working with you.. so you can set a goal and attain it. I want to be a part of you venture in the sport of triathlons and marathons..

Edited by momo 2008-12-27 3:27 PM
2008-12-28 8:54 AM

User image

ivy, va

Hi. I'd like to join your group! I'm new to this, but eager and motivated to learn (also a bit nervous!). I spent last summer helping women train for the C-ville Women's 4-Miler, so I truly appreciate the positives of having a mentor. I know I'll need to focus on the mental and nutrition aspects as much as the physical. I tend to subsist on Diet Pepsi, Pop-Tarts & ribs, with an occasional Cliff Bar for good measure.

I've discovered a local indoor pool, I've found and polished up my bike, I have a decent pair of running shoes, and I'm motivated. I truly appreciate your willingness to mentor. Thank you. Your Mark Twain quote is fantastic.

Regards,

wisewilma / Diane

2008-12-28 9:51 AM
in reply to: #1874306

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
wisewilma - 2008-12-28 9:54 AM

Hi. I'd like to join your group! I'm new to this, but eager and motivated to learn (also a bit nervous!). I spent last summer helping women train for the C-ville Women's 4-Miler, so I truly appreciate the positives of having a mentor. I know I'll need to focus on the mental and nutrition aspects as much as the physical. I tend to subsist on Diet Pepsi, Pop-Tarts & ribs, with an occasional Cliff Bar for good measure.

I've discovered a local indoor pool, I've found and polished up my bike, I have a decent pair of running shoes, and I'm motivated. I truly appreciate your willingness to mentor. Thank you. Your Mark Twain quote is fantastic.

Regards,

wisewilma / Diane

Wisewilma, This is will be fun for all of us.. welcome to my group first off... Thanks for wanting to be on my group...

as for the Mark Twain quote.. i found it after some told me i was crazy for wanting to do triathlons...

cheers.

Edited by momo 2008-12-28 9:52 AM
2008-12-28 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Here's my first group thread...

What is first race of the season (running or triathlon)?

How is preparation going so far?

What are you struggling with?

2008-12-28 1:27 PM

User image

New user

New York, NY

Hi Maurice

My name is Robert and I am a tri-newbie. I consider myself a pretty active person in general, but with the start of the Winter season and the Holiday's...I have fallen victim to the temptaions of staying in my warm apartment (I should mention I live in New York city).

2009 will mark the third year I will be participating in AIDS Lifecycle (a 545-mile bike ride from San Francisco to LA). Although I am proud of my involvement in this event, I am looking forward to a new challenge.

I have always thought how amazing it would be to compete in endurance events and triathalons have been at the top of the list. I like to run, bike and swim so it almost seems like a no brainer to get involved in triathalons.

Hopefully with the help of this site and support from people willing to share their knowledge and experience like you, I will come to love the sport and become adicted for life.

Looking forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Happy New Year!

2008-12-28 3:08 PM
in reply to: #1874517

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
robertsuarezny - 2008-12-28 2:27 PM

Hi Maurice

My name is Robert and I am a tri-newbie. I consider myself a pretty active person in general, but with the start of the Winter season and the Holiday's...I have fallen victim to the temptaions of staying in my warm apartment (I should mention I live in New York city).

2009 will mark the third year I will be participating in AIDS Lifecycle (a 545-mile bike ride from San Francisco to LA). Although I am proud of my involvement in this event, I am looking forward to a new challenge.

I have always thought how amazing it would be to compete in endurance events and triathalons have been at the top of the list. I like to run, bike and swim so it almost seems like a no brainer to get involved in triathalons.

Hopefully with the help of this site and support from people willing to share their knowledge and experience like you, I will come to love the sport and become adicted for life.

Looking forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Happy New Year!

Welcome, to the group... i look forward to being apart of your triumphs and pits... That awesome, your participation in the AIDS Lifecycle.. I was think of doing the MS150 in 09.

What is your first event of 09?
2008-12-28 6:06 PM

User image

Regular

Hey Maurice

I'd like to try out this mentor group thing, if you'll take me.

About me, I've been "playing around" on BT.com for over a year. I initially used the site to log run miles and the route feature as I prepared for the 2 mile run of my annual physical fitness test for the Army Reserves. I have done a couple of the running challenges and really enjoyed the motivation from my group. I've looked at some of the mentor threads and thought I might could benefit from being in a group.

I broke down and bought a bike in November. I have gym with pool right down the road. I am going to do a Tri this year. I'm tired of making excuses to myself. 

Eric

2008-12-28 9:11 PM
in reply to: #1874741

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
JohnDeere - 2008-12-28 7:06 PM

Hey Maurice

I'd like to try out this mentor group thing, if you'll take me.

About me, I've been "playing around" on BT.com for over a year. I initially used the site to log run miles and the route feature as I prepared for the 2 mile run of my annual physical fitness test for the Army Reserves. I have done a couple of the running challenges and really enjoyed the motivation from my group. I've looked at some of the mentor threads and thought I might could benefit from being in a group.

I broke down and bought a bike in November. I have gym with pool right down the road. I am going to do a Tri this year. I'm tired of making excuses to myself. 

Eric

Sure i'll have you in my group.. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to assist on your journey.

What is the first race you have planned? i like to know these things.
2008-12-29 10:06 AM
in reply to: #1874356

User image

ivy, va

Haven't decided on a specific race yet.   Looking at options May/June in VA area.

Prep. - so far so good.  Trying to find athletic swimwear is a bit challenging.

Struggling w self-doubt & the idea of swimming laps for the first time in decades!

2008-12-29 10:08 AM

User image

Regular
Hi Maurice,

I was hoping to join your mentor group, if there is still room. I really liked the part of your intro where you mentioned that you hadn’t forgotten what it was like to be a newbie to triathlons because that is the situation I am in. I am excited but definitely nervous about taking my first few steps.

Right now I am an avid runner, averaging around 25-30K per week and hoping to start bumping up my KMs to somewhere around 35K per week. I average at least one running race per month, as it keeps me motivated. I also play soccer in all its forms (indoor, outdoor, bench ball, turf).

I have recently just returned to the sports I love to participate in because I was sidelined for about 6 months due to an ACL reconstruction. However, it was the injury, which has inspired me to greater goals. I really want to be a stronger, well-rounded athlete.

That being said, at this point I am interested in starting small, possibly a sprint triathlon. However, depending on how well my training goes, I might be able to convince myself that an Olympic distance triathlon is the challenge I am looking for.

I hope to hear back from you.

Kristin
2008-12-29 10:39 AM
in reply to: #1875714

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
RunGirlRun - 2008-12-29 11:08 AM

Hi Maurice,

I was hoping to join your mentor group, if there is still room. I really liked the part of your intro where you mentioned that you hadn’t forgotten what it was like to be a newbie to triathlons because that is the situation I am in. I am excited but definitely nervous about taking my first few steps.

Right now I am an avid runner, averaging around 25-30K per week and hoping to start bumping up my KMs to somewhere around 35K per week. I average at least one running race per month, as it keeps me motivated. I also play soccer in all its forms (indoor, outdoor, bench ball, turf).

I have recently just returned to the sports I love to participate in because I was sidelined for about 6 months due to an ACL reconstruction. However, it was the injury, which has inspired me to greater goals. I really want to be a stronger, well-rounded athlete.

That being said, at this point I am interested in starting small, possibly a sprint triathlon. However, depending on how well my training goes, I might be able to convince myself that an Olympic distance triathlon is the challenge I am looking for.

I hope to hear back from you.

Kristin

Sure I have room for you.. welcome.. hope you had a good christmas..

Do you a a first race in mind? Sprint?

I will give what knowledge i have about training, equipment, and nutrition.. together we can get you across the finish line.
2008-12-29 10:46 AM
in reply to: #1875709

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
wisewilma - 2008-12-29 11:06 AM

Haven't decided on a specific race yet.   Looking at options May/June in VA area.

Prep. - so far so good.  Trying to find athletic swimwear is a bit challenging.

Struggling w self-doubt & the idea of swimming laps for the first time in decades!

Swim wear is tough sometimes.. have you tried swimoutlet? they have good deals on gear. One recommendation though, try to buy polyester.. it last a lot longer than lycra/spandex. cost a little more but well worth it.

Self doubt is normal.. we all go through it.. Take training one day at a time (everyday is a new milestone to cross).. where in the va area are you trying to race... an organization for tri it now (triitnow.com) has some small tune up races.. i think breezy points date is posted for next season. May 31, 2009.

your training so far looks great.. keep up the good work..

2008-12-29 11:02 AM
in reply to: #1875034

User image

Regular

momo - 2008-12-28 9:11 PM  Sure i'll have you in my group.. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to assist on your journey. What is the first race you have planned? i like to know these things.

May 30th, I have two Sprints in my area I could possibly do. I have yet to decide. But, for sure May 30th is raceday.

2008-12-29 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1875823

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Awesome.. What are the distances of these races?? have you started prepping? are you following a schedule of some kind..?
2008-12-29 12:01 PM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Hey all,

I hope everyone had a great christmas.. what are the plans for new years?? i have know clue what i going to do..

Tell me a little about yourselves.. i know your athletes.. married/single... that kind of stuff.
2008-12-29 12:35 PM

User image

Regular
Truthfully, I have a few races in mind, which I would like to do this summer but my first is either going to be a sprint distance in Guelph, Ontario on June 20, 2009 or Hinton, Alberta on June 7, 2009. The Hinton race might be a bust because of the airfare cost but on the plus side, my sister will be participating in the same tri, although she will definitely be in the half. I am sure that I will have to decide soon.

Unless, you have any other suggestions, I have decided to use the BT 'Sprint - 3x Balanced - 20 Week' training plan, starting on Jan. 4th. Anything I should know before I get started?

I know I have a pretty solid base with swimming, biking and running but I am a little worried about my bike. It's a hybrid (mountain and road) bike. Am I going to be the odd person at a race if I use it? Or should I consider getting a cheap tri bike? I would happily buy a used one.

K
2008-12-29 1:53 PM

User image

New user

Checking to see if I could join your group.  Have run several half marathons, the last in the OBX in 1:50:21.  Looking to do first triathalon in May. 

2008-12-29 4:24 PM
in reply to: #1876179

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
roliver - 2008-12-29 2:53 PM

Checking to see if I could join your group.  Have run several half marathons, the last in the OBX in 1:50:21.  Looking to do first triathalon in May. 

sure you can join my group... i did the obx half too.. it was my first.. i was on track for 2:03... that bridge to manteo kicked my A@#$.. had to settle for a 2:11.. next time i will be faster..

So, welcome to the group..
2008-12-29 4:35 PM
in reply to: #1875999

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
RunGirlRun - 2008-12-29 1:35 PM

Truthfully, I have a few races in mind, which I would like to do this summer but my first is either going to be a sprint distance in Guelph, Ontario on June 20, 2009 or Hinton, Alberta on June 7, 2009. The Hinton race might be a bust because of the airfare cost but on the plus side, my sister will be participating in the same tri, although she will definitely be in the half. I am sure that I will have to decide soon.

Unless, you have any other suggestions, I have decided to use the BT 'Sprint - 3x Balanced - 20 Week' training plan, starting on Jan. 4th. Anything I should know before I get started?

I know I have a pretty solid base with swimming, biking and running but I am a little worried about my bike. It's a hybrid (mountain and road) bike. Am I going to be the odd person at a race if I use it? Or should I consider getting a cheap tri bike? I would happily buy a used one.

K

What are the distances of these races..? the BT plan should work for you.. I would probably start working on the thing that is your weakest.. swimming.. (i read total immersion, to help me with technique.. great book). if its biking.. try to ride or did some spin classes.. No you won't be the odd one out on a hybrid.. lots of people do tri's on hybrids.. start out with the hybrid.. then as you get more into tri's, look at a better bike..

Tri swimming is a little different than regular swimming... tri swimming you're trying to be efficient as possible.. strokes and kick are important...long efficient strokes and minimal kicking..
2008-12-29 4:43 PM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Kristen,
open your logs up(i think they are private).. so i can check them out.. it you don't know how:

Control Panel then, click edit training settings, uncheck Training Logs is private, and

then select the Friends tab, and enter momo hit apply.. when you look at your training log you see my pic in the bottom left corner.. select it and you will see my logs..

momo
2008-12-29 9:15 PM

User image

Regular
The Guelph triathlon distances are; Swim 750m, Bike 19km, Run 5km.

I'm not sure if swimming or biking is going to be my weakest tri discipline. When I was recovering from my knee surgery, I spent a fair bit of time at a local pool swimming laps. Then during the summertime, I biked to a lot of my soccer games. I will probably have a better idea once I start the training plan. Honestly, if I had to guess, I would say it would be the swimming that I am going to have to focus on the most.

Thanks for the total immersion swimming book recommendation. I will definitely check it out. Do you have any other suggested reading for the group?

K
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Momo's Group - (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 17