1st place Sports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 24m 3s
Overall Rank = 46/452
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/49
Pre-race routine:

This race was at 1:30 PM, so I always find it hard to have a "routine" when the race isn't in the morning. Just ate at around noon, right before we left and brought some water to sip.

Been getting a lot of side stitches since I started that low sodium diet, so I popped an Endurolyte to see if that would help things.
Event warmup:

We had to park ~1/2 mile away from the site and go to and from the car a few times before the race, so that allowed me to get plenty of jog/walking
in. Couldn't do too much jogging cuz I don't have a lot of endurance in me yet.
Run
  • 24m 3s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Really tried to pace myself, because I'm just starting to get back into things again. Worked hard on running comfortable, and had to check myself a few times.

By the time I got to the last turn to the home stretch, I saw the finish line clock at 23:48. I busted a GUT trying to beat the 24 minute mark, but it was just too far away. Just missed though.
What would you do differently?:

Right now, I'd say nothing. I'm just starting back, I'm not totally healthy yet so I have to be careful.
Post race
Warm down:

stretching, lots of walking. They had beer there, so I actually had a light beer! Normally I don't even like the stuff, but it's good after a race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injuries, decreased training.

Event comments:

Only one drink station, which isn't a huge deal in a 5K, but I would've preferred one each mile.

Also, at the end of the race they actually ran out of water at one point and all they had to eat were cookies and bananas. They also ran out of cookies, so the later runners missed out.

Last updated: 2008-12-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:03 | 03.1 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/49
Overall: 46/452
Performance: Good
Screwed up my Garmin. First, I noticed ~ 1/2 mile into the race that it was on "bike" mode, so I changed it to "run mode" so I can check my speed. Took me until the 2nd mile marker to realize I never hit the "start" button again, so I only got the last 1.1 miles in. It was 8:27. YAY!
Course: Sort of out-and-back thru downtown, with a little detour loop at the beginning. Ran past the Maxwell House Coffee factory. I LOOOVVE the smell of coffee!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes