General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mild Hernia . . . now what Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-14 10:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Subject: Mild Hernia . . . now what
Just returned to my office after a follow-up doctor apoinment with a GI surgeon. The past few weeks I have been suffering from mild tenderness on the left lower groin area. The diagnosis was a mild hernia.

So my question for BT'ers is 'what does that mean for training?'. I gather that lifting heavy weight are not a good idea, but what about sit-ups, core work, etc. Can a hernia fix itself?

The doctor did not feel surgery was necessary and scheduled a follow-up appointment in 4 months. While the doctor visit was less than $20 (welcome to Thailand), I had a tough time explaining that I was a triathlete and wanted to know what impact this might have on training (welcome to Thailand).

welcome your comments.

2009-01-15 10:47 AM
in reply to: #1908727

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Mild Hernia . . . now what
I have had two over the past 10 years. I had to have surgery to fix both because they never fixed themselves. Mine were inguinal hernias where the intestine protruded through the muscle wall in the first case while the second case "only" buldged into muscle wall ( I think we caught that one early and it was 10 years after the first and on a different side.)

I was only a runner at the time, so I had to chill for a few weeks. Don't want that sucker tearing open. Good news is the repair makes the muscle wall stronger.
2009-01-18 5:24 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I was having the same lower left groin pain and was diagnosed with a relatively mild inguinal hernia. The surgeon didn't think it was worth operating on. After a few hard sessions on my trainer it was bugging more. Went back to the surgeon and explained I was training pretty intensely and I pretty much told him I wanted it fixed. They do not heal themselves and I was not going to go through a chronic on and off battle with this. Had the surgery two weeks ago. Stayed off my feet for a week and a half. Ran 3 miles yesterday and felt great. Good luck.

Edited by popsracer 2009-01-18 5:25 PM
2009-01-19 3:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota, Florida

There's basically 2 ways to treat and injury.  Surgery, or not surgery.  If surgery is not indicated as you said, then you're going to want to rehab the hell out of your core and hip muscles.  No running until you can jog without pain, and no jogging until you can walk without pain.  A stationary bike is easier than a real one, so start with that.  I wouldn't try swimming (freestyle anyway) for a while, but you can do pool workouts like aqua jogging, hip motions, etc. 

Google Dr. William Meyers in Philadelphia and maybe you can find some programs he recommends or other info. He is one of the premier hernia surgeons in the US and has worked with several professional sports teams, so he understands the demands of athletes with hernias.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mild Hernia . . . now what Rss Feed