General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming: What Interval To Set During Sprint Sets Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-02-08 2:12 PM
in reply to: #1951316

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Swimming: What Interval To Set During Sprint Sets
see the thing is, and i see this from triathletes all the time. they get stuck in the lets go cruise pace. yes, you need that, but in order to get faster, and this holds very true for the swim, you need to swim faster, and harder, than you every will in the race.

now i am not saying that trying for your best 100 is the way to go (and the OP said he simply wanted to do this for his own reasons), but sprint workouts have their place in distance training.

i am now swimming about 5k less per week than i was most of last summer, am doing WAY more speed/threshold sets and a lot less distance swims (right now i have only gone over 300 a few times in the past month, and rarily over 200 right now). my times from 800 on down to 50 are dropping like there is no bottom.
these workouts are mentally a lot easier for me to do, a LOT more fun than longer intervals, and are getting me where i want to be right now.
yes, the longer stuff has its place too, and i am slowing adding that back in, but in my opinion, and from what i have watched with a very competitive swim team (denison university), the VAST majority of the swim work done is shorter intervals from 75yrds through 200. this was for all distance swimmers from sprinters through the distance ones. yes a few longer swims were done per week, but most were not.

2009-02-08 2:59 PM
in reply to: #1914535

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

Some of the points are well taken. As I said if your goal is to swim a fast 100 then go for it. It is a great goal and swimming that fast is fun. It is the equivalent of training to run a fast 400. The best do it in about the same time.

And yes if you want to swim fast at 500 yds or 1650 yds then train like college swimmers. The 100th fastest NCAA time last year was: 4:28 men, 4:52 Women for 500 yds; and 15:45 Men, 16:57 woman for 1650 yds . You can do the math on their hundred pace in those races. A hundred people were faster.

For short bursts of speed it is useful to have another gear. I would suggest this may be important at the beginning of a large mass start of a race, but is over done by triathletes in general. I settle into my pace quickly and watch people beside me fall off at about 50 to 100 yards. While I am loathe to allow a break away in an OWS, in a triathlon it would only hurt my race to sprint to chase them down. It's a fine line. If I can keep their feet I go for it, but if their pace is beyond me I let them go. If I make a mistake it hurts my performance, if I get it right I I have quicker time. In a triathlon I do not want to blow myself out on the swim. Have you ever seen the face of an elite swimmer after finishing a 1650? Not a pretty site.

I think if you can swim a 100 in 1:10 or less you already have the extra gear needed to finish in the top 10% of a typical Oly. Take a look at ChrisM's post above (the second one) and then check out the swim leg times in his races.

Edited by E=H2O 2009-02-08 3:19 PM
2009-02-08 3:27 PM

User image

Regular
Buckeye

Within interval training...  there is a huge difference in the workout between going 60-70% and going 80-90% on the same interval.

Newbz, you went through what might be your peak aerobic gain.  Often, beginner or out of shape individuals will see performance gains doing aerobic work and then the gains will begin to taper off.  Once you start anaerobic training... you start seeing improvements again.  Tough interval training is a common theme...  see the Charmicheal Training videos for cycling.  You just have to make sure the pacing you are doing is correct.

Denison has a decent DIII team btw...  We used to swim them in dual meets with Pitt.

2009-02-08 8:48 PM
in reply to: #1951484

User image

Champion
i agree that overpacing to catch someone a few sec up on you may ruin a race if you are sticking to a plan. and this is where i think its worth noting that an individuals goals/abilities are an important factor in what you look at here.

if the goal is simply to race for a best time, fitness, ect, then yes what you say holds true. however, if (and this applies a lot more to short course racing than anything else), you are shooting for an overall, letting someone get away on the swim, can often be the diff between racing with them or watching them finish ahead of you.

i agree with you most triathletes totally start too hard, but then again this is the same crowd that runs 9 min miles for a 5k then sprints the last 30yrds;-)

ribuck, i think in a lot of ways you are right, i was swimming a decent amount but never really hitting the intensities that i needed to improve, or not very quickly.
right now i really need to start getting some longer intervals back in there, and am slowly heading there, so we'll see how this all pans out in a month or so:-)
2009-02-08 9:42 PM

User image

Regular
Buckeye
Good luck training... 
2009-02-08 9:58 PM
in reply to: #1951870

User image

Champion
thanks.

2009-02-09 2:56 AM
in reply to: #1951811

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

newbz - 2009-02-08 6:48 PM  this is the same crowd that runs 9 min miles for a 5k then sprints the last 30yrds;-)

LOL You have my number on that one, except that my average is closer to 8:30. I negative split the run so on a couple of occasions I did run down someone in my age group in the last 50 yards. I have to admit that I really enjoyed running down someone who ran past me earlier at AG Nationals. As I turned around the final corner, there he was. I beat him by 1 sec . Later I found out he lived only 10 miles away. The finish line photo made the USAT race photo montage video. I guess I'm one of those guys. :-)

2009-02-09 10:16 AM
in reply to: #1951971

User image

Champion
2009-02-09 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

I'm a bit late to this party but thought I would add my 2 cents. Sets done on tight intervals will provide much larger gains than high intensity- long rest sets. I try and do sets in the pool like I do them in the weight room..until failure. If I'm doing a set of 10X100 and put the interval at 1:10, The first few will be managable, the next few will hurt and the last couple I will either be touch-n-go or I will start the miss the interval. If I get to the point that I can criuse all 10, then I need to either add more 100's or make the interval harder. The high intensity with a big rest (as others have stated) is designed for top end speed and I almost never do them. As a middle distance swimmer in college, we rarely did those sets even then. They help get you clear for the swim start and around tight buoys, but honestly, if you are not in the front of the pack, then you would benefit more by tight interval sets to get you overall pace faster. Once you find yourself towards the front, then break out the sprints.

On a side note, I always seem to see people fixing the rest in their workouts (i.e. 5 X 100 with 20 seconds rest between). I guess this is a bleed over from track workouts or something, but it was just not something we ever really did at any of the teams/programs that I have trained under in the 30 years I've been swimming.  I would suggest that if you are stuck in a rut with your swimming, scrap the mandatory rest and go to an interval based workout, at least for your big sets.

2009-02-09 11:31 AM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
I refer to my rest interval only for purposes of example for others who may be slower/faster. I typically do my 10x100 sets  on 1: 25 or 1:30. It would be impossible for me to keep track of my time and when to leave otherwise.
2009-02-09 11:58 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I think you'll find the fixed rest intervals are more common in something like a masters swim set where the people doing the set have a wide range of ability or speed.

2009-02-09 1:14 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
I follow a similar approach that runner Stu Mittleman (_Slow Burn_) takes.
You will make far more progress building up your aerobic capacity by doing repeat swims on your "cruise" or "base" interval (100's with approximately 5-10 seconds rest between), then to work on your anaerobic system (25, 50, and 100 sprints).

In fact, I'd rather see swimmers to a longer swim (say a 500) and do some faster laps within that swim to play with their speed, rather than a short set of all out sprints with a lot of rest.

Hope this helps!
2009-02-09 9:00 PM
in reply to: #1952873

User image

Regular
Buckeye

Sorry, but I beg to differ...  if you trained consistently at 60-70%, you progression of speed increase will decrease and eventually plateau.

Working in training at 75-90%, or your anaerobic rate, as the season progresses will do wonders.  So will drastically reducing your distance the last 2 weeks of training before your main race (you must focus on high, greater than race pace intensities).

Now, anaerobic training can be broken down into two different forms, longer rest where the body has time to eliminate the lactic acid build up from the distance swam or shorter rest where the body is not given enough time.  The latter will simulate swimming fast towards the end of the race.  And there is nothing that states that this training has to be 25s and 50s.  Remember that everthing can be tailored to the race distances that the athlete is attempting.

Translation, swimming shorter distances at faster than your race pace definitely has its place.  For one thing, if you are always "cruising" how will you know how your body will react at you race pace?

Ahh, now we are in the age old argument of quantity vs quality.  A balanced training program will lead to the best results!!

2009-02-09 9:20 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

oops.

Edited by tjfry 2009-02-09 9:22 PM
2009-02-09 11:16 PM
in reply to: #1953723

User image

Champion
i like the quote from the speedo page

" Its not about how fast you swim,
Its not about how far you swim,
Its about how far you swim fast."

i think that pretty much sums it up.

you need to swim a lot, and do a lot of it hard, mixing up in a ratio (so far for me and what i have seen) of about 80/20 of harder efforts with little rest (upping threshold) vs harder efforts with longer rest (upping max pace), seems to work the best. so far have not found a great use for just cruising other than longer open water swims.

just my non swimming thoughts
2009-02-10 1:32 AM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

I'm a bit intrigued by what people are referring to by "cruising" along. The only time I'm cruising is during my warmup. There was a time (eons ago) when all I had was 1 hour to swim. I wasn't participating in triathlons or Masters Swimming. I had an hour and I wanted to get the most out of it. My decision was to swim as far as I could in the hour. Obviously to do that I had to swim as fast as I could for the hour.

There is no other way to describe the first 500 other than it was scary. You then had to tune out all negative thoughts and go like hell. After doing this same workout over an 6+ month period swimming (if I recall) 5 days a week, I finally hit a plateau at just under 1:12 per hundred non stop for an hour. It may sound funny, but I was never bored by this workout. I was entirely engaged during the swim.

When I choose to do a straight out swim for my workout and I have been swimming regularly, my goal remains the same. Swim as fast as I can and hold on for dear life. I'm not suggesting this as the best workout for triathlons, but it does show you can get the necessary speed as well as endurance in a continuous swim. It is all about the intensity.

2009-02-10 12:10 PM
in reply to: #1916090

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.

SevenZulu - 2009-01-19 9:11 AM You See Chris, the problem with a master's swim workout is that you have all those other people there to provide peer pressure and keep you doing the entire workout. When you swim by yourself, you can start off with great intentions, but then survival instincts kicks in on sprint #15 of 30 and you modify your workout plan to only have 15 sprints.

That's when you give your car keys to the lifeguard and have them count. :D

To increase top speed, you need a lot of work either at or just below threshold. Death sets are good. No real set distance, swim until you drown/pass out/upchuck in the gutter.

Start with 100's on... you're at 1:05ish? Start with 100's on 1:20. Do them until you can't hold the pace, as in you get done with no rest available. Then do 100's on 1:25. Same drill. Keep adding 5 seconds rest until one of the above three conditions happens, or you notice that you are more drifting with the waves than swimming.

John 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming: What Interval To Set During Sprint Sets Rss Feed  

of 2