Sports Performance
30C / 86F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 32s
Overall Rank = 296/359
Age Group = 30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 14/20
Pre-race routine:

Awesome preparation for this race, I've spent the last week in bed with a really nasty gastro virus! oh well at least I was racing 4kg's lighter. not a great weight loss program believe me.

I really wasn't sure whether to race or not today decided I had paid up and entered so should just show up and participate.

rocked up to the race venue to find it full packed and so many people milling about. I get there dead on registraiton opening normally but think with the size of races here now I'm going to have to start getting to them earlier then the opening of registration.
Event warmup:

as per usual no warm up. I wandered down to the start and watched the fun tri go by, cheered a good friend on in the middle distance race and waited for the start of the sprint race.
Swim
  • 17m 16s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 18s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was a bit worried to start that navigation would be an issue. We were staring directly into the sun everytime you looked up to sight the buoy. I'd lined up a big pole in the river in line with the buoy and headed straight towards that. I actually had no problem navigating whatsoever.

I also swim naturally in a straight line so just put my head down and swam. unfortunately a great big group from the wave in front swam WAY off course and managed to get back on course just as I was rounding the first buoy. there was a bit of carnage in the process. but I managed to get round most of those guys and settled back in to swim back to the startline.

It was fabulous swimming without a wetsuit for a change. the river water was soo warm. I got back to the start without feeling too horrible. my actual swim time was 14mins, there is a very long run to transition from the river up a hill hence the 17min swim time
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I had a pretty good transition it all went to plan really
Bike
  • 49m 56s
  • 20 kms
  • 24.03 km/hr
Comments:

I had an absolute rubbish ride. I was definitely not over being sick. I just had absolutely nothing in the tank and my heart rate was skyrocketing anytime I even thought about climbing the hills. the only time I felt comfortable was catching my breath on the downhills.

I could not even make myself hurt on this race. I knew it was just a matter of pretending it was a training day and not pushing it over the limits. so I just adjusted my race plan and tried to get through without damaging myself further.

This is a tough course with the hills.

Not do a race after a week of gastro and no food for a week.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

again transition went pretty well. I still put socks on for a 5k run which takes time, but I can't go without because of blisters.
Run
  • 28m 18s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 40s  min/km
Comments:

I felt pretty blahh by the tiem I got to the run, I knew I couldn't pull a run out like last weeks race. so just plodded along thinking about this as a training run.

It was hot by this stage and I didn't get enough fluids. But I just kept running along knowing I was getting closer to the finish each step of the way

On the plus side I think a week off my calf has helped~ I didn't have any huge niggles with my calf while running!

Not run after being very ill all week
Post race
Warm down:

I recovered on the finish line pretty quickly didn't feel great but better then when I was moving, (wouldn't call it racing)
realised that I'm and idiot and need to listen to my body and rest when its telling me to rest.

I really do like this race on australia day though great atmosphere!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

being sick for a week before hand.

Event comments:

Great race on Australia Day I'd do it again next year if it fits in!
Off to the fireworks to celebrate afterwards

Last updated: 2009-01-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:16 | 750 meters | 02m 18s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/20
Overall: 138/359
Performance: Good
Suit: trisuit
Course: Swim parallel to the short right turn around a buoy 40m's in towards shore right turn around another buoy and back along to the startline
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 26C / 79F Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:56 | 20 kms | 24.03 km/hr
Age Group: 15/20
Overall: 297/359
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: 3 laps of a loop course 2 big hills each lap and 2 downhills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:18 | 05 kms | 05m 40s  min/km
Age Group: 15/20
Overall: 312/359
Performance: Below average
Course: 1 lap out and back course with a nice big hill to finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-01-26 11:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: Australia Day Triathlon

2009-01-27 1:06 AM
in reply to: #1930829

User image

New user
Lesmurdie, Perth
Subject: RE: Australia Day Triathlon

Congrats on the race. To bad about the gastro, but at least you pushed through and completed the race. I came from the hills to come and spectate, as I was suppose to race, but got injured, however it was a great race to watch, and a tough one too. I am trying to make it to the March 29th race, which is held at the same place. Might see you around. All the best

Oggi

2009-01-28 11:59 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Nice one! Still a good race even with health issues

2009-01-30 1:01 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
hope you're feeling better now, sounds like a good tri to do in the future, well done for getting through it
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Australia Day Triathlon Rss Feed