Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2009-01-30 2:54 PM
in reply to: #1935628

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: Yet another BO promise broken

this is the problem....with everyone looking for a Quick fix.  The current path we're on is only going to continue to cannibalize itself.  It won't happen in one year...and it one happen in one presidential term. We won't get the market back to 1300 overnight...but you start. 

That viscious cycle....HAS got to be reversed...

2009-01-30 2:54 PM
in reply to: #1938002

User image

Houston
The government hasn't taken our tax money (yet). It is deficit spending. The idea being to make the recession softer now and pay for it later. Otherwise the spiraling economy will continue to falter. This in turn leads to things such as civil unrest.
2009-01-30 2:57 PM
in reply to: #1938012

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether

pengy - 2009-01-30 3:54 PM The government hasn't taken our tax money (yet). It is deficit spending. The idea being to make the recession softer now and pay for it later. Otherwise the spiraling economy will continue to falter. This in turn leads to things such as civil unrest.

So your solution to the crash caused by rampant consumerism based on credit is to let the Federal government join in on the fun?

That sounds like trying to dig yourself out of a hole by using a steam shovel

Edited by trinnas 2009-01-30 2:58 PM
2009-01-30 2:57 PM
in reply to: #1937996

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

pengy - 2009-01-30 3:47 PM

You are advocating that we give money to the companies so that they can continue to pay their workers and not lay them off. However, since the cycle has already started and demand for products are down due to layoffs, the companies will not retain workers they don't need to make products people are not buying.

The other option is to create jobs through deficit spending to improve things that, hopefully, already needed improvements. This will put money in the pockets of companies (they are the ones that will receive the money to do the work) and consumers so that they have purchasing power again.

I am not advocating that we give companies money.  I am suggesting that we make the climate more attractive to KEEP manufacturing jobs here.  By giving companies tax breaks on new machinery the government might be loosing a bit of tax income but it's far less than the money they need to spend to "support" those who have lost their jobs.

So you say deficit spend.  We've been doing that for decades.  When do you get the money back?  You eventually have to raise taxes.

Which brings us back to the original point... why not get rid of the wasteful spending the the first place? 

There is an earmark for $50 million for the National Endowment for the Arts.  How in the bloody hell is that stimulating the economy?

This bill is FULL of wasteful spending plain and simple.

2009-01-30 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1938020

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
TriRSquared - 2009-01-30 3:57 PM

pengy - 2009-01-30 3:47 PM

You are advocating that we give money to the companies so that they can continue to pay their workers and not lay them off. However, since the cycle has already started and demand for products are down due to layoffs, the companies will not retain workers they don't need to make products people are not buying.

The other option is to create jobs through deficit spending to improve things that, hopefully, already needed improvements. This will put money in the pockets of companies (they are the ones that will receive the money to do the work) and consumers so that they have purchasing power again.

I am not advocating that we give companies money.  I am suggesting that we make the climate more attractive to KEEP manufacturing jobs here.  By giving companies tax breaks on new machinery the government might be loosing a bit of tax income but it's far less than the money they need to spend to "support" those who have lost their jobs.

So you say deficit spend.  We've been doing that for decades.  When do you get the money back?  You eventually have to raise taxes.

Which brings us back to the original point... why not get rid of the wasteful spending the the first place? 

There is an earmark for $50 million for the National Endowment for the Arts.  How in the bloody hell is that stimulating the economy?

This bill is FULL of wasteful spending plain and simple.

Aw dude Artists gotta eat too you know

2009-01-30 3:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

pengy - 2009-01-30 3:54 PM The government hasn't taken our tax money (yet). It is deficit spending. The idea being to make the recession softer now and pay for it later. Otherwise the spiraling economy will continue to falter. This in turn leads to things such as civil unrest.

BUT again your instant grattifying the whole thing.  So you're delaying the inevitable and continuing the (my) viscious cycle.....

2009-01-30 3:01 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

pengy - 2009-01-30 3:54 PM The government hasn't taken our tax money (yet). It is deficit spending. The idea being to make the recession softer now and pay for it later.

Basic accounting will show you that deficit spending is debt.  You have lost that money.  You are now in debt.  If ANY business in the world tried to run itself this way it would not be long for the world.  But becuase the government can print more money then they can.... at least until that money is worthless.

This is also the attitude that (partially) got us into this mess... 

"I want my $400k house now.  I know I can't afford it but the market will go up and I'll be OK".

2009-01-30 3:07 PM
in reply to: #1938027

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
TriRSquared - 2009-01-30 4:01 PM

pengy - 2009-01-30 3:54 PM The government hasn't taken our tax money (yet). It is deficit spending. The idea being to make the recession softer now and pay for it later.

Basic accounting will show you that deficit spending is debt.  You have lost that money.  You are now in debt.  If ANY business in the world tried to run itself this way it would not be long for the world.  But becuase the government can print more money then they can.... at least until that money is worthless.

This is also the attitude that (partially) got us into this mess... 

"I want my $400k house now.  I know I can't afford it but the market will go up and I'll be OK".

Agreed....WHY is this so hard to digest?!?!?

2009-01-30 3:19 PM

User image

Houston
Debt is not bad. Taking on debt foolishly is bad. Markets tend to sort these things out on their own. Hence it is near impossible to buy a house/car right now without an impeccable credit rating and plenty collateral to back it up.

I honestly don't know or understand enough of government deficit spending to make any sort of argument about it. I do feel that a laissez-faire policy right now would only serve to deepen the crisis of the recession. If things get to depression level unemployment you have a whole lot more to worry about than the problems of balancing the government's books.

I completely agree that the bill is filled with pork spending. That is sadly the nature of government spending. However, there are also worthwhile things in it that I hope in the end will do a lot to restore market stability.

Edited by pengy 2009-01-30 3:22 PM
2009-01-30 3:31 PM
in reply to: #1938062

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI

pengy - 2009-01-30 3:19 PM Debt is not bad. Taking on debt foolishly is bad. Markets tend to sort these things out on their own. Hence it is near impossible to buy a house/car right now without an impeccable credit rating and plenty collateral to back it up. I honestly don't know or understand enough of government deficit spending to make any sort of argument about it. I do feel that a laissez-faire policy right now would only serve to deepen the crisis of the recession. If things get to depression level unemployment you have a whole lot more to worry about than the problems of balancing the government's books. I completely agree that the bill is filled with pork spending. That is sadly the nature of government spending. However, there are also worthwhile things in it that I hope in the end will do a lot to restore market stability.

Your feeling of a laissez-faire attitude right now leading to deepen the crisis - what is that based on?  I think that the more the governement gets involved the deeper the recession happens to get.  It's like a car that gets stuck in the mud.  The more you gun the engine, the deeper the car is going to get.  The more the gov't tries to do the more nervous I get.

Yes, people are losing and will continue to lose jobs.  Bonuses might be withheld but this is the medicine we have to take in order to get better.  Creating rediculously false jobs and paying artists whose paintings nobody wants to buy or pay to see doesn't create wealth.  Markets are incredibly good at figuring things out.  My fear is that the Dems realish this opportunity to create all this crap all under the title of financial crisis.  Listen to BO earlier today.  He really seems to relish focussing on how bad things are.  Partly it's to focus on that so if things improve he can wear it as a badge of honor whether he deserves the credit or not.  I believe he also does this to justify all this excessive spending under the umbrella of crisis.

I hope we get through this because the ramifications could be felt for generations.

2009-01-30 3:33 PM
in reply to: #1938062

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

pengy - 2009-01-30 4:19 PM Debt is not bad. Taking on debt foolishly is bad. Markets tend to sort these things out on their own. Hence it is near impossible to buy a house/car right now without an impeccable credit rating and plenty collateral to back it up. I honestly don't know or understand enough of government deficit spending to make any sort of argument about it. I do feel that a laissez-faire policy right now would only serve to deepen the crisis of the recession. If things get to depression level unemployment you have a whole lot more to worry about than the problems of balancing the government's books. I completely agree that the bill is filled with pork spending. That is sadly the nature of government spending. However, there are also worthwhile things in it that I hope in the end will do a lot to restore market stability.

I don't understand...you don't understand enough about deficit spending to make an argument...but you understand enough to know that is what we need to do?!?!

Ok.....You personally go about living your financial life with the same principals as what you're advocating. Hell...start a company and do the same thing.  Get back to us with the results.....Government is not immune to basic financial principles. 

AND....debt IS bad...you've also been sold a bill of goods by the same people that want you to borrow their money.  Using debt in an intelligent manner can benefit and get SMART people ahead. But debt in and of itself is bad.  It's like fouling at the end of a basketball game....you use it...but it in and of itself isn't good.

2009-01-30 3:45 PM
in reply to: #1938094

User image

Houston
Tri'nNC - 2009-01-30 3:33 PM

pengy - 2009-01-30 4:19 PM Debt is not bad. Taking on debt foolishly is bad. Markets tend to sort these things out on their own. Hence it is near impossible to buy a house/car right now without an impeccable credit rating and plenty collateral to back it up. I honestly don't know or understand enough of government deficit spending to make any sort of argument about it. I do feel that a laissez-faire policy right now would only serve to deepen the crisis of the recession. If things get to depression level unemployment you have a whole lot more to worry about than the problems of balancing the government's books. I completely agree that the bill is filled with pork spending. That is sadly the nature of government spending. However, there are also worthwhile things in it that I hope in the end will do a lot to restore market stability.

I don't understand...you don't understand enough about deficit spending to make an argument...but you understand enough to know that is what we need to do?!?!

Ok.....You personally go about living your financial life with the same principals as what you're advocating. Hell...start a company and do the same thing.  Get back to us with the results.....Government is not immune to basic financial principles. 

AND....debt IS bad...you've also been sold a bill of goods by the same people that want you to borrow their money.  Using debt in an intelligent manner can benefit and get SMART people ahead. But debt in and of itself is bad.  It's like fouling at the end of a basketball game....you use it...but it in and of itself isn't good.

So how's purchasing the house with cash coming?
How about a car?
Oh man, what about student loans to get through college?
I personally plan to ask my gf to marry me soon and there is no way I can afford a ring with straight cash as a student.

Seriously, DEBT is a part of the world. The economy does not function without debt because at times there are purchases too large to be made with straight cash.

I've never heard of a company being started without debt. Stocks - bonds - investors: these are all debt that allow a company to be created and grow. You advocate entrepreneurship but you're going to turn around and tell me the #1 thing that allows American companies to be created is a bad thing?

When I say I don't know enough about deficit spending, I mean I don't understand the intricacies of it, such as the fact that our economy's inflation makes much of the debt we incur negligible. That much of the actions the government made with the banking system actually have a chance to repay the government with interest. I do, however, know enough about it that we are dealing with a pre-Great Depression economic disaster right now and government action, whether that be through tax cuts (which is still deficit spending) or out right job creation, is a better answer than nothing at all.

And why don't you try to be a bit less aggressive?

Edited by pengy 2009-01-30 3:46 PM
2009-01-30 4:04 PM
in reply to: #1938119

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

pengy - 2009-01-30 4:45 PM

So how's purchasing the house with cash coming? How about a car? Oh man, what about student loans to get through college? I personally plan to ask my gf to marry me soon and there is no way I can afford a ring with straight cash as a student.

Then you wait.  That's the mentality that gets people into trouble.  "I'll just charge it." 

I saved and saved and paid cash for my wife's ring (and I was a broke college student too).

I've never heard of a company being started without debt. Stocks - bonds - investors: these are all debt that allow a company to be created and grow. You advocate entrepreneurship but you're going to turn around and tell me the #1 thing that allows American companies to be created is a bad thing?

I started my company with the cash I had in the bank.  We were profitable from day one and have never had any debt.  Last year's sales were close to $2 million.  I know of plenty of others with the same story.

Going into debt for an asset that will appreciate is not bad.  Examples include homes and education.  

Buying things like TVs, DVDs and rings on credit cards IS bad debt.  These items do not appreciate.

So the same anlogy applies to government spending.  Spending money on things that bring back benifits is a good thing (tax break to create jobs etc..).  However this spending bills has an awful lots of Tvs and DVDs on the credit card.

Edited by TriRSquared 2009-01-30 4:07 PM
2009-01-30 4:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

*I* would appreciate it if you would buy me things like TVs and DVDs.  Thanks, I appreciate it!

2009-01-30 4:26 PM
in reply to: #1938163

User image

Houston
TriRSquared - 2009-01-30 4:04 PM

pengy - 2009-01-30 4:45 PM

So how's purchasing the house with cash coming? How about a car? Oh man, what about student loans to get through college? I personally plan to ask my gf to marry me soon and there is no way I can afford a ring with straight cash as a student.

Then you wait.  That's the mentality that gets people into trouble.  "I'll just charge it." 

I saved and saved and paid cash for my wife's ring (and I was a broke college student too).

I started my company with the cash I had in the bank.  We were profitable from day one and have never had any debt.  Last year's sales were close to $2 million.  I know of plenty of others with the same story.

Going into debt for an asset that will appreciate is not bad.  Examples include homes and education.  

Buying things like TVs, DVDs and rings on credit cards IS bad debt.  These items do not appreciate.

So the same anlogy applies to government spending.  Spending money on things that bring back benifits is a good thing (tax break to create jobs etc..).  However this spending bills has an awful lots of Tvs and DVDs on the credit card.

I've been saving for a ring and plan to pay for the rest through a loan by bank or family. I refuse to even own a credit card. However my example still stands as an argument for intelligent debt possession, and I think you fundamentally agree. TriNC was saying all debt was bad. When it is the grease that allows our economy to function.

I applaud you on using your own wealth to start a company. My mother did the same thing, but did accrue debt after a time to keep it afloat. Most people do not have the finances to start a solar company, car company, etc on their own wealth. You have to have investors for that and that is where stocks and bonds come into play. Otherwise only the wealthy are able to become entrepreneurs in which case you are creating an even greater division between the rich and poor -- but that is a whole other discussion. The same applies to a house. The vast majority of people simply do not have the money to buy a $100,000 house with cash. What happened during the housing bubble is a lot of companies had an enormous amount of debt wrapped up in houses (which they assumed would continue to appreciate) and that burst when people started defaulting on their mortgages due to bad lending standards. In other words, the banks had foolish amounts of debts which has now led to the current credit crisis.

Personally I take the Republicans stance that there should be more tax breaks for companies, not tax credits. I think it will help bring deleveraging to an end faster; but more importantly I would like to see that paired with job creation in areas that will serve to aid our country both temporarily and in the future - such as infrastructure projects.
2009-01-30 5:26 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Just for the record I had no WEALTH when I started my company.

2009-01-30 6:20 PM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
We've been here before and it will be the highway, public works and defense projects that will keep us afloat until the economy corrects. IMHO this proves that Reagan had the right idea just the wrong direction. It's the "trickle up" economy that drives the nation's marketplace.
2009-01-31 10:31 AM
in reply to: #1938198

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

pengy - 2009-01-30 5:26 PM 

I've been saving for a ring and plan to pay for the rest through a loan by bank or family. I refuse to even own a credit card. However my example still stands as an argument for intelligent debt possession, and I think you fundamentally agree. TriNC was saying all debt was bad. 

Please read again what I wrote...I think you missed this.... 

"Using debt in an intelligent manner can benefit and get SMART people ahead." I.E. buying a house you can afford and not leveraging it on an interest only or an adjustable rate so you can buy more house than you can afford...etc.   

When it is the grease that allows our economy to function. I applaud you on using your own wealth to start a company. My mother did the same thing, but did accrue debt after a time to keep it afloat. Most people do not have the finances to start a solar company, car company, etc on their own wealth. You have to have investors for that and that is where stocks and bonds come into play. Otherwise only the wealthy are able to become entrepreneurs in which case you are creating an even greater division between the rich and poor -- but that is a whole other discussion.

... this is the exact attitude that keeps people from becoming entreprenuerial. My father did the same thing...started a business that is now 20 years going and he started it with nothing while we were living with my grandparents.  No loan....just living on rice and beans and building. Those that keep thinking it CAN'T be done are only passed by those (like my father and TriRSquared) that do the "impossible". 

The same applies to a house. The vast majority of people simply do not have the money to buy a $100,000 house with cash. What happened during the housing bubble is a lot of companies had an enormous amount of debt wrapped up in houses (which they assumed would continue to appreciate) and that burst when people started defaulting on their mortgages due to bad lending standards. In other words, the banks had foolish amounts of debts which has now led to the current credit crisis.

Wrong...the housing bubble/credit crisis occurred due to (yes) those poor lending standards but those standards were imposed by the government.  Check out the evolution of the Community Reinvestment Act starting back in the 70's and the changes made to it in 95 creating the "subprime" market.  So the problem didn't start with the banks it started with our government imposing on the banks.

Personally I take the Republicans stance that there should be more tax breaks for companies, not tax credits. I think it will help bring deleveraging to an end faster; but more importantly I would like to see that paired with job creation in areas that will serve to aid our country both temporarily and in the future - such as infrastructure projects.

job creation and projects which should be created due to tax breaks on companies and individuals, NOT deficit spending by the government.

2009-01-31 10:42 AM
in reply to: #1938329

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
De Cracker - 2009-01-30 5:20 PM
It's the "trickle up" economy that drives the nation's marketplace.

The trickle up vs. down argument will go on forever without resolution. IMO, we need both. People need the money and confidence to spend. Also, the government should do everything it can to make starting a successful business easy. I've started lots of business never with borrowed money, "not that there's anything wrong with that". It's unneccesarily difficult. Selling a product at a profit is the easist part and that's just plain wrong.

Edited by breckview 2009-01-31 11:09 AM
2009-01-31 11:07 AM
in reply to: #1938163

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO

I'm going to respectfully disagree. First off, doing whatever you have to do to propose marriage to someone you love is a good investment. Investment return is not always about bigger numbers on a bank statement.

Secondly, IMO, "things" you want can offer you great returns in quality of life. It's all about responsibility and reality. If you have no chance of ever paying back these debts, obviously that is irresponsible (eg. US govt).

However, say you're talking about $50k in credit card debt. In order to offset that debt to zero, you'd only have to create a revenue stream that makes $833/month in profit (assuming a valuation of 5x earnings, 833x12x5=50k). I'm sorry but that's not difficult for people who seek the knowledge of how to make money. Obviously if you have no entreprenural abilites or desires, you are stuck with a fixed income and therefore should live within your current means. But others are very confident that some day they will be able to control/increase their incomes. For them, I see nothing wrong with taking some risk now and buying things on credit that will enrich their current life experience.
2009-01-31 5:09 PM

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA

Write a check to me for $250,000,000.00 and I will stimulate the economy beyond most peoples wildest dreams.

2009-01-31 5:20 PM
in reply to: #1938812

User image

Houston
... this is the exact attitude that keeps people from becoming entreprenuerial. My father did the same thing...started a business that is now 20 years going and he started it with nothing while we were living with my grandparents. No loan....just living on rice and beans and building. Those that keep thinking it CAN'T be done are only passed by those (like my father and TriRSquared) that do the "impossible".

Please explain to me how to start an airline manufacturing company, steel mill or nuclear plant with your own money. This isn't about saving $500,000 to purchase the necessary equipment; this is about having to invest millions to billions of dollars of money. If people did not go into debt to do these things then only the mega-rich would be able to do so. My attitude isn't preventing people from becoming entrepreneurial, it encourages them to do so! Want to higher another worker but don't currently have the money to buy a second computer? Purchase the computer on credit and hire the worker! With the increased productivity it hopefully will be easily afforded! Yes there are companies that require smaller investments, but 99% of companies large and small use debt to increase profit.

Wrong...the housing bubble/credit crisis occurred due to (yes) those poor lending standards but those standards were imposed by the government. Check out the evolution of the Community Reinvestment Act starting back in the 70's and the changes made to it in 95 creating the "subprime" market. So the problem didn't start with the banks it started with our government imposing on the banks.

I really think you should do more research into the claims you've made about the CRA. Just because Ron Paul says something doesn't mean it is entirely true. There were a lot of other factors going on such as unregulated mortgage lenders that did not fall under the CRA's jurisdiction, the failure of the Federal Reserve to enforce the Home Ownership and Equity Protection Act or the Securities and Exchange Commission allowing Wall Street to increase their leverage. The CRA is only part of the puzzle and many argue that it did not even have an effect. I'm not claiming that deregulation caused the crisis or regulation - just a combination of factors.

And I was not wrong about what caused the crisis. I gave a time line, you are trying to assess the source.

job creation and projects which should be created due to tax breaks on companies and individuals, NOT deficit spending by the government.

Tax breaks are deficit spending also, please make no delusions about that.
2009-01-31 7:20 PM

User image

Elite
OK here's one of my problems with the "tax cuts" solve everything crowd. I heard a neo-con congressman ( from my state) railing against the spending plan and his idea was to give the same amount in income tax breaks to individuals.  Well that's great if you have a job and some income. I've had to let go some very good hard working folks in the last year. Income tax breaks won't help them with their immediate needs. We need this stimulus. If AIG can receive the equivalent of the combined annual budget of the Dept. of Ed., Dept of Health and Human Services, and the Dept of Justice, then I would suppose we could spend some money on honest hard working folks.
2009-01-31 8:14 PM
in reply to: #1939314

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts

De Cracker - 2009-01-31 5:20 PM OK here's one of my problems with the "tax cuts" solve everything crowd. I heard a neo-con congressman ( from my state) railing against the spending plan and his idea was to give the same amount in income tax breaks to individuals.  Well that's great if you have a job and some income. I've had to let go some very good hard working folks in the last year. Income tax breaks won't help them with their immediate needs. We need this stimulus. If AIG can receive the equivalent of the combined annual budget of the Dept. of Ed., Dept of Health and Human Services, and the Dept of Justice, then I would suppose we could spend some money on honest hard working folks.

Not sure how a tax credit wouldn't help these people?  One, they would get money back even if they did not work enough to owe federal income tax, and two with more disposable income, hopefully the other people that also received either cuts or credits would spend more thus driving demand for products and services. 

Instead we should just fund ACORN, talk about pay to play politics, every pet project known to a politician was in this bill, tell me how the elected dumocrats expect that to stimulate the economy and help the average joe.

2009-02-01 5:22 AM
in reply to: #1939380

User image

Elite
Check your facts. Oh and your refund cure all...one payday a year ain't cuttin' it.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Yet another BO promise broken Rss Feed  

of 6