Fountain Hills, Arizona
United States
Helena Running Club
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Sat around a nice fire to keep warm, drank lots of coffee and talked with friends.
Event warmup:

Sprinted 1/2 a mile to Jude and walked to the finish with her.
Run
  • 3h 10m
  • 15.5 miles
  • 12m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

This event didn't go the way I had planned. I had originally thought the race was going to be the 15th, and didn't find out it was the 14th until the afternoon before the race as I was on my way to "Happy Hour" at a friend from work's place. I have to admit that I was pretty stupid to drink 3 margaritas and 2 beers that evening, but I honestly don't think that is the reason I got so sick during the race. Jude didn't drink, and she got sicker than I did. We did eat a bunch of things people had made and brought to the party, but I think food poisoning only takes a few hours to hit you. I dunno.

ANYWAY...the race for ME started when Sandy came to the finish line very concerned because Jude (my partner for the race) had been throwing up since mile 7. She was a good half mile behind Sandy, so I ran as fast as I could to go help her. She was looking terrible and kept throwing up. I tried to talk her out of pushing to finish before the cut-off time and to take it easy, but she wasn't going for that. I really have to give it to her for sticking with it.

Once we got her to the finish with no time to spare, I took off. I had plans to run this race with a friend, but told him to take off with Sandy's partner because I didn't want him to be disqualified with me if Jude didn't make it to the finish on time. Admittedly, I took off too fast. I wanted to catch Robert and being the excitable person that I am, was pumped from being concerned about Jude.

The first half of the race was pretty nice. I walked as fast as I could during all the up-hills, and ran on the flats and downhill sections. Sandy loaned me her Garmin, which was great. Being able to check out my pace while running/walking was awesome! I need to get me one. At around mile 4, my stomach started churning. Nothing bad, but I have a caste-iron stomach and this was new to me. At the first aide station, I only took water and moved on. I was pushing as hard as I could to catch Robert. By mile 8, my stomach felt TERRIBLE. Every time I tried to full-on run, my stomach would wrench. Drinking water was also giving me problems. Since stomach problems were new to me, I couldn't decide if it was better to just get sick, or to try to hold it in. I decided to try to keep it in me. My thinking was that if I got sick, it would just open the flood-gates and I would end up worse off.

Right at the 10.24 mile mark there was an aide station and Robert was there! I had made it there just under 2 hours. We were stoked that I had caught up to him and that we would get to run the last leg together. Even though I was hoping to finish the course in under 3 hours, I kept him at the aide station far longer than he probably wanted. I just didn't feel good and was trying to rest a bit so I could eat something. It wasn't going to happen though, so after sucking on a couple oranges, we took off. We kept our pace between 10:30-11:30 per mile. The last 2 miles were complete Hell for me. Robert was going at a strong, steady pace. He looked great! I, on the other hand, just wanted to finish.

I have to say that I gave it my all. I was completely spent after this race. I haven't been good at pushing myself lately, and wanted a race that would do that. Well, I got it!! I even looked back at the course after passing the finish line and said "yep, everything is back there on that course. I have nothing else to give". This is definitely something I would like to do again!!!!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing!! I felt I ran the race as smart and as hard as I could. I took what the day gave me and made the best of it.

BEFORE the race I could have taken better care of myself with what I ate and drank, and could have trained better. But I didn't so I have no excuses.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around for a few minutes talking to friends and waiting for Sandy's partner to come in. I wanted to go home and crawl into bed!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I felt sick.

Last updated: 2009-02-15 12:00 AM
Running
03:10:00 | 15.5 miles | 12m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Awesome trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-02-15 6:40 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Pemberton 50K

2009-02-16 8:15 AM
in reply to: #1963492

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Pemberton 50K

OMG! I feel so bad for you and Jude. There's no way I could have ran feeling like that! You guys are troopers!

Well done finishing so well under those cicumstances. Take care of yourselves!!! 

2009-02-16 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Congrats for pushing through your physical issues to finish. I'm thinking the margarita & beer mixture did not help your cause.
2009-02-16 4:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Nice work keeping going Chris, you had some of challenges out there (and not know when the race was) but you didn't let them stop you! Things like that will help you cross the finish line in November!
2009-02-17 9:16 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-02-17 10:48 AM

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Way to tough it out to the finish and leave everything out there.  What a great feeling to know you left it all out there.  I'll see you in November for the big one!

2009-02-17 1:08 PM

Pro
AZ
Great job Chris! You did awesome!
2009-02-17 2:39 PM

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Great job in rising up to meet every challenge the day threw at you, Chris.  Even though the day didn't go as planned, you will probably remember this one as a very proud accomplishment.  Going that distance is always hard, then throw in trails and physical issues and you had a beast of a day in front of you.  Way to go! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pemberton 50K Rss Feed