General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much time difference does aero really make? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-16 8:20 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: How much time difference does aero really make?
Thanks to everyone for the advice last week. I will focus on comfort and familiarity and do my HIM on my road bike without clip on aero bars and wait until I get a tri bike for the aero thing. My question is . . . assuming a rider uses the same amount of power during the bike, how much time difference would there really be in aero v. road position in a HIM? I know that this is more of a theoretical question and that there are tons of variables, but can anyone make a guestimate? Thanks.

2009-02-16 8:40 AM
in reply to: #1964097

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
Subject: RE: How much time difference does aero really make?

I'm still new at this myself, but Iwould think that once you start talking about 15+ mile and longer rides that the time savings would really start to add up.

I think I've read that that single biggest factor in slowing people up on the bike (or ways to increase speed) is to reduce air drag.

The body's resistance to the wind or air flow is the single biggest thing that slows you down, so the more you can get into and the longer you can stay in an aero position ... I would say would add significant time savings.

2009-02-16 8:57 AM
in reply to: #1964135

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Depends on you, your position and the overall coefficient of drag that the complete package (you and bike) make.  The lower the CD, the better you will go through the wind.

I just tried to find the real world testing that Cyclingnews did with a road bike, TT bike and adding parts to quantify the benefits, but I can't find it ... grrrrrrr.  Need to bookmark it when I do!

If you go from a normal upright position on a road bike to a completely aero position with all the aero goodies (and a proper fit to that position) you could see anywhere from a 3 - 5 mph difference in your speed as a very broad and general number.  A lot of factors go into that which could move that number up or down.

Edited by Daremo 2009-02-16 8:58 AM
2009-02-16 8:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
I went from one race on my road bike at 18 mph average, the next race had larger hills and more of them I averaged almost 20mph with the clip-on bars.
2009-02-16 9:03 AM

User image

this might be the link you are thinking off... interesting stuff

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2008/features/jeffs_need_for_speed08

2009-02-16 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1964176

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Bingo!!

I had it linked in another thread last year but just couldn't find it.

2009-02-16 9:14 AM

User image

Regular
Wow. . . 3-5 m.p.h. is way more than I was expecting. Applying my extremely elementary math to a HIM bike - 15 m.p.h. would take 3:42; 17 m.p.h. would take 3:20; and 20 m.p.h. would take 2:48. That makes aero savings between 32 and 54 minutes in a 56 mile leg. Incredible!
2009-02-16 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1964201

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Again, there are a ton of variables.  And I said going from a simple road position to a full on TT bike and position with all the goodies.  That means helmet, aero bars, wheels, etc.
2009-02-16 9:41 AM
in reply to: #1964255

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.

Daremo - 2009-02-16 8:36 AM Again, there are a ton of variables. And I said going from a simple road position to a full on TT bike and position with all the goodies. That means helmet, aero bars, wheels, etc.

x2. Aero position on a properly fitted TT frame, after that your biggest savings are an aero helmet, and a wheel cover. (You get pretty much the same savings out of a wheel cover as you do a disc, and a fraction of the cost.)

John 

2009-02-16 9:43 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

So, not to Hijack but to add to the OP's question, would that mean you would expend less energy holding the same average speed on a properly fitted Aero setup Vs a Traditional road setup??

2009-02-16 9:55 AM
in reply to: #1964274

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Rudedog55 - 2009-02-16 8:43 AM

So, not to Hijack but to add to the OP's question, would that mean you would expend less energy holding the same average speed on a properly fitted Aero setup Vs a Traditional road setup??

All other things being equal, theoretically yes.

One of the analogies I use is that you have a certain amounts of endurance credits to spend in a race. You spend X to do the swim, Y to do the bike, and Z to do the run. Ideally, you want to get to zero credits and the finish line at the same time.

Now, if doing a 40k TT normally costs you 70 credits at 20mph on a non aero/non fitted setup, theoretically you could then do the 40k TT at 20mph and only need to spend say, 60 credits. That gives you another 10 credits to spend on the swim or the run. 

John

2009-02-16 10:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson

There a lot of people here that can speak to this with more knowledge than I, but I bought a tri-bike in December and have been trying to get a feel for exactly what you are asking.  I have made a couple of observations over the 10-12 rides I have made so far.

* I don't climb hills as well on the tri-bike as on the road bike.  People say this will get better as I get more used to the tri-bike and I think I am getting a bit faster.  However, I can still climb better on the roadie after about 350 miles on the tri bike.

* I can't tell any difference running off of the tri bike as compared to the road bike even though people told me it would be easier.  My legs feel the same either way.  My back feels better coming off of the tri bike, though, just doesn't really translate into more speed on the run.

* Obviously, the aero position provides more benefit the faster you are going.  So, stronger riders that can average higher speeds will derive more benefit than riders that typically average 15-16mph.  My anecdotal observations (very unscientific) are that the tri bike benefit at speeds below 15-16mph is negligible, 17-19mph is modest, and 20 and higher is pretty significant.  I have come to these conclusions from observing the differences between rides I have done with another fairly equal rider that I have also ridden a lot of miles with on my road bike.

* I think some of the aero benefits are diminished somewhat on a hilly course.  Sure, you can pick up a lot of distance on the downhills, but the time you spend going downhill is less than the time spent climbing hills since you are going probably double the climbing speed.  The tri bike is still beneficial, but I think it is even better on a flattish course where you are cruising at a higher speed continuously than a course where your speed is going up and down.  I discovered this from comparing Garmin 305 data (you know, one of those 'toys') on identical rides on the tri bike and road bike.

* Drafting in the aero position behind my partner (he trusts me) is a pretty big deal.  After about a minute drafting, my heart rate drops 25-30 bpm, just to give you an idea of the drop in workload.   Sure wish we could draft in triathlons!  When we are going downhill and I am aero, I have to keep hitting the brakes while my riding partner is still pedaling.

Of course, YMMV.  I just started cycling a year ago, 52 years old, and probably average cycling fitness for my AG but significantly below what the typical, younger triathlete could do with my bike.  I now prefer riding the tri bike over the roadie since getting used to the aero position.  To me, it is more relaxed and when I lean over and drop my arms in the cups it is almost like chilling out.  I know that I can ride at least 50% farther comfortably on the tri bike than the roadie because my back, shoulders, and arms don't get as tired.

FWIW,

Greg

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much time difference does aero really make? Rss Feed