Abitaman Series
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 59m 17s
Overall Rank = 102/400
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 13/40
Pre-race routine:

Awoke from a terrible night's sleep around 4am. Drank 2 scoop HEED mixture, 2 endurolytes. 4:30 Stretched. Loaded up truck. 5:10 left house for race. 5:30 - 6:00 set up transition. Rain started, delayed start from 7am to 8am.
Event warmup:

Ran .25 mile before the rain started. Swam just 100m before I was told to get out of the pool. Definetly should have gotten in pool sooner.
Swim
  • 08m 43s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

Goggles came off on the first push off. Swam first 50m then fixed them, that sucked.
What would you do differently?:

Did not at all stay focused on form, was flailing like a flounder on the beach. Did not do any bilateral breathing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Since there was a rain delay, put bike shoes on first since I left them in the Trans Bag to keep them dry. I had the bag packed with swim to bike stuff at the top, and bike to run stuff at the bottom

Under rain condition, not too much.

Bike
  • 29m 47s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.15 mile/hr
Comments:

I was hoping to come in under 30 minutes with high hopes for around 25 minutes. Aero or disc wheels will help some for the race next year.

Did not use my aerobottle, will use it next time for sure. I should have went out harder and forget about the heart rate on the short course like this. I need to keep my head down in the aero position longer. I noticed that I was looking up at the road too much and at the other competitors that passed too much.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Shoes were wet and would not go on correctly.

Use speed laces instead of trying to slip shoes on.
Run
  • 16m 55s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I went out a little too fast, backed off pace a little. Regrouped then, picked up the running pace for last 1/2 mile. At the run start I reverted back to my heal striking and started to get some knee soreness as a result. Corrected to mid foot striking and knee pains went away.

Run faster than a snail.

Post race
Warm down:

Recoverite drink (2 Scoops 18oz)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No speed training has been performed. Training focus has been on endurance for longer events later in the season. I entered the race with a goal of finishing in under an hour. I hoped to accomplish the race with a time around 55 minutes. My swim time was off my estimated pace by about 1 minute due to a higher breathing rate, a lack of bilateral swimming and a couple of mishaps. I was a little slow in T1 getting my stuff out of my Trans Bag, which cost me at least one minute. I had to run with my cycling shoes as a result of the rain. It maybe cost me 10 seconds trying to clip into the wet pedals. On the bike, I should have stayed more aero. T2 could have been smoother with the transition to the running shoes. I had to sit down to fix the foot liner in one. I also should have grabbed the number belt and put it on while running. On the run I performed about as well as expected coming off the foot injury three weeks ago. An 8:30 pace is faster than what I had been previously training at.

Event comments:

I entered the race with a goal of finishing in under an hour. I hoped to accomplish the race with a time around 55 minutes. My swim was off my estimated pace by about 1 minute due to a higher breathing rate and a couple of mishaps. I was a little slow in T1 getting my stuff out of my Trans Bag, which cost me at least one minute. I had to run my cycling shoes as a result of the rain. It maybe cost me 10 seconds trying to clip into the wet pedals. T2 could have been smoother with the transition to the running shoes. I had to sit down to fix the foot liner in one. I also should have grabbed the number belt and put it on while running.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-10-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:43 | 400 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 24/40
Overall: 197/400
Performance: Below average
Suit: No
Course: Eight lengths of the UNO pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:29:47 | 10 miles | 20.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/40
Overall: 62/400
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Lakefront Loop
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 105
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:16:55 | 02 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/40
Overall: 186/400
Performance: Below average
Course: Around UNO arena and back
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-03-20 9:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
Subject: Abitaman #1 New Orleans

2005-03-26 10:14 AM
in reply to: #132134

Online or Offline
Subject: RE: Abitaman #1 New Orleans

Wow I missed your race report! Caught you on your next race and then realized I missed this one!!

Nice splits in all sports! Congrats! "No speed training?" I'd LOVE to have 8:28 min/mi splits and 20+ mph on the bike

Thanks for posting pics!!! Waiting for today's race report!

2005-03-27 11:07 AM
in reply to: #132134

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Abitaman #1 New Orleans

When I saw "Abitaman" I thought you were going to say you swam in Lake Ponchatrain and biked and ran on the North Shore.  Sounds like a cool race, though.  Biking and running on the Lake Front.

BTW.....I lived and worked in NO for a few years.

TJ

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Abitaman #1 New Orleans Rss Feed