General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spring 2009 12-week "No Sugar" challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-05-19 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2155410

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Subject: RE: Spring 2009 12-week "No Sugar" challenge
kcovert1 - 2009-05-16 9:57 PM

So we're coming in on the last week of the challenge....how does everyone feel??

I, too, am struggling which is kind of surprising. Not so much with the sugar but I feel like I just can't get enough to eat throughout the day. I am so scared to eat more now that I have gained a few pounds...yes, they are still with me so I don't think it was salt or anything else but thanks to everyone for your feedback. A friend told me that she thinks I am not eating enough for the workouts I am doing. Is that possible? I have started a food log to track my calories and see. I definitely feel stronger during my workouts but I feel more lethargic as the day goes on.

I can't believe the challenge is almost over...I never thought I could remove sugar from my eating like I have. That being said, I am already starting to look forward to my 10-calorie piece of gum in the afternoon!! Thanks to everyone for your support.

2009-05-19 8:56 PM
in reply to: #1966763

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horsham, PA

Is the challenge really over this week?  I have thought all along that it goes until June 1st.  I may have to keep going for another week just to keep my mindset!  I have been thinking about how I will continue some significant non-sugar modifications to my diet when this is over.  I feel like I have really made great, healthy adjustments that I want to keep up.  I have been reading Jillian Michael's new book "Master Your Metabolism" to move on from here.  She talks about hormonal balance through managing your diet by removing certain foods and adding other foods.  Sugar just happens to be one of the foods she says needs to be removed.  Has anyone else read the book?  It's quite interesting!

2009-05-20 8:13 AM

Extreme Veteran
Reston, VA
I've been doing alright lately, a few dings here and there.  I have gained a few pounds over the last week or so - my sister was visiting which of course was an excuse to go out to eat and I ate too much for a few days, plus I've had a nasty head cold/upper respiratory infection since about Sunday which has temporarily cut off my training.  I've also been eating more to compensate for lower energy since I got sick.  I'm sure it will balance out once I get healthy and get back to training.
2009-05-20 6:46 PM
in reply to: #2162139

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
starrlinda - 2009-05-19 9:56 PM

I have been reading Jillian Michael's new book "Master Your Metabolism" to move on from here.  She talks about hormonal balance through managing your diet by removing certain foods and adding other foods.  Sugar just happens to be one of the foods she says needs to be removed.  Has anyone else read the book?  It's quite interesting!

I have not read it but I am curious.  I always wonder about how you would know if your hormones/body chemistry are out of whack in way that might work against you and if it can be fixed.  I also wonder what the consequences of my years of poor choices and over-eating at times might have had on me besides big swings in weight.
2009-05-20 8:41 PM
in reply to: #2162139

User image

Veteran
Cazenovia
starrlinda - 2009-05-19 9:56 PM

Is the challenge really over this week? I have thought all along that it goes until June 1st. I may have to keep going for another week just to keep my mindset! I have been thinking about how I will continue some significant non-sugar modifications to my diet when this is over. I feel like I have really made great, healthy adjustments that I want to keep up. I have been reading Jillian Michael's new book "Master Your Metabolism" to move on from here. She talks about hormonal balance through managing your diet by removing certain foods and adding other foods. Sugar just happens to be one of the foods she says needs to be removed. Has anyone else read the book? It's quite interesting!

It's really over this week.

Final weights must be posted by 11:59 PM (Pacific time) on Sunday, May 24, 2009. No more reminders will be issued. We've had a bunch of people who posted starting weights and then never followed up. I'll be really suspicious if they post on Sunday with a massive weight loss and no dings. Should be interesting.

A bunch of you have really been doing well. I have not been doing so well. But I guess my heart wasn't really into it from the get-go. I think the lesson I've learned is that a restrictive diet just doesn't work for me. I just really need to work on moderation. I'll look forward to tallying the results on Monday!

~Sue
2009-05-22 2:57 AM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA

Sue ~ I will post my final weight but don't include me in the final tally as I didn't update my dings from when I was home.  With that being said, I've definitely learned a lot from this challenge and while I (like many of you) had my bad days (sometimes weeks) and my good ones, I've made some changes that I plan on sticking with.  My hubby has even commented about how he has lost 8 lbs because I "won't let him have sugar in the house." 

Starrlinda ~ I've looked at getting that book...what do you think of it?  Is it worth it?

Edited by Happychick 2009-05-22 2:58 AM

2009-05-22 8:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Well, I've started up my nutrition journal again.  That really seems to help me get the scale to move, so we'll see. 

I can't believe the challenge ends in two days!
2009-05-23 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2167423

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horsham, PA

Happychick - 2009-05-22 3:57 AM

Starrlinda ~ I've looked at getting that book...what do you think of it?  Is it worth it?

The book is definitely worth it.  Get it on Amazon....it's cheaper than anyplace else. 

Linda

2009-05-23 12:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
I can't believe we are almost done, either!!  Now that it is almost over, it seemed like it went so fast!  I'm really hoping that I can sustain the good habits I've put into place during the challenge.  I don't think I'm going to be so strict with myself (I really miss honey and gum!), but I am still going to limit sweets to once per week or so.

Thanks to all of you who have been so supportive---I think we all did great and learned a lot!!

I'll put my weight in tomorrow...it should be good, I had a super long workout today!!
2009-05-24 6:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Yeah!  I'm just about half-way to my goal weight (145 this morning)!  Counting calories this past week has really made a difference and got me down 3 more pounds.  I'm going to try to stay on that track all the way to my goal of 135.  Thank you all again for the motivation, inspiration, and support.

I think it would be helpful to do this again (but maybe not immediately).   Stay tuned for another challenge....  : )

Edited by carteroak 2009-05-24 6:22 AM
2009-05-24 9:37 AM

User image

Expert
I entered my final weight on the spreadsheet...hopefully I am the only one that managed to GAIN weight on this challenge! :0
Seriously though, this challenge has helped me change my "snacking" habits dramatically and I am sure that my weight will come back down over time. I definitely have more energy and I don't crash at night like I used to. Now, I grab a piece of fruit when I am craving something sweet and I have given up the processed crackers and quick foods that I used to grab all the time. I think I will go back to having some things with sugar in them (like ketchup and gum) but I have given up most of the bad stuff.

Thanks to everyone for your support. It was great meeting all of you and I hope to see you in another challenge...I am doing the June run challenge. Anyone interested?

2009-05-24 8:39 PM
in reply to: #2164773

Extreme Veteran
Reston, VA

A bunch of you have really been doing well. I have not been doing so well. But I guess my heart wasn't really into it from the get-go. I think the lesson I've learned is that a restrictive diet just doesn't work for me. I just really need to work on moderation. I'll look forward to tallying the results on Monday!

~Sue

This is the case for me as well.  I ended the challenge right where I started it regarding weight, though my dings aren't accurate on the spreadsheet.  After the first month or so my focus and determination sort of fell off the wagon.  If nothing else I keep telling myself that if it weren't for the challenge I might be worse off than I am right now.  Plus, I've managed to get back into a training schedule.

Congratulations to everyone in this challenge, and thanks to all of you for your support!
2009-05-25 2:29 AM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
I, too, would like to thank all of you for the support!  I also have made some big changes that I plan on sticking with but the ketsup bottle is calling my name!
2009-05-25 5:52 AM
in reply to: #2171398

User image

Veteran
Cazenovia
CONGRATULATIONS KARLA!!!

Only three dings and a 5.8% weight loss makes you the Spring "No Sugar" challenge winner!!!!

I'm really happy that you all participated in this challenge; I know it raised my awareness about whether I really wanted to eat a tempting item or not. I really, really missed gum and I know I will go back to that tomorrow at work. And I really missed regular jam, too. Not that I mind the fruit juice sweetened kind, but it's just too darned expensive to keep buying on a permanent basis.

And now, I am off to do my first OWS of the season.....Karla - I will PM you later today to find out where you want the donation to go.

Nicely done, everybody -- we all deserve a pat on the back!!!!

~Sue
2009-05-25 7:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Wow!  I didn't expect that.  Thank you all again for providing this opportunity for motivation and support to make some important changes.  Everyone who has made significant changes, learned more about themselves and what works and what doesn't work for them, and who resisted some serious temptations during the challenge deserves huge CONGRATULATIONS!
2009-05-25 11:35 AM

User image

Expert
CONGRATULATIONS Karla!! Keep up the great work and those last few pounds will melt off before you know it!

2009-05-25 1:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
Congrats, Karla!!  Only 3 dings...that is very impressive!! 

It's been a weird day for me, knowing that I can eat sugar if I want.  Very strange indeed!!  I'm hoping to keep up some semblance of what we've been doing, just a little bit more relaxed.

Thanks again to everyone!!
2009-05-27 3:18 AM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Awesome Job, Karla...WTG!!
2009-05-28 6:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
I miss the rules!!  I've had a rough week, and have kind of been craving the rules again.  Anyone else??
2009-06-01 1:13 AM
in reply to: #2179808

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
kcovert1 - 2009-05-28 1:57 PM I miss the rules!!  I've had a rough week, and have kind of been craving the rules again.  Anyone else??

Kelly, I totally agree!  I had less issues when I had to report to others than I do now.  It is such a conscience effort for me since this ended.  WHY is that??  Actually I know why...during the challenge I didn't have a "choice" to make whereas now I know sugar is allowed and it's harder for me to say no.  I will say, however, that as the days go by it's getting easier since I just keep telling myself just because I don't have anyone to report to doesn't mean I have to change the way I was doing things!
2009-06-02 7:04 AM
in reply to: #2185448

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
Happychick - 2009-06-01 2:13 AM
kcovert1 - 2009-05-28 1:57 PM I miss the rules!!  I've had a rough week, and have kind of been craving the rules again.  Anyone else??

Kelly, I totally agree!  I had less issues when I had to report to others than I do now.  It is such a conscience effort for me since this ended.  WHY is that??  Actually I know why...during the challenge I didn't have a "choice" to make whereas now I know sugar is allowed and it's harder for me to say no.  I will say, however, that as the days go by it's getting easier since I just keep telling myself just because I don't have anyone to report to doesn't mean I have to change the way I was doing things!

That is exactly it!!  Yesterday, I just had to put my foot down with myself and say no more!!  I have relaxed my "rules", so to speak, but hopefully I can maintain the will power!

2009-06-03 3:16 PM
in reply to: #2188619

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
kcovert1 - 2009-06-02 2:04 AM
Happychick - 2009-06-01 2:13 AM

That is exactly it!!  Yesterday, I just had to put my foot down with myself and say no more!!  I have relaxed my "rules", so to speak, but hopefully I can maintain the will power!

I did the same thing.  After my earlier post I told myself "enough is enough!"  I did soooo good for so long why blow it now?!  Soooo, I have been so much better in the last couple of days.  Plus, I have a race coming up on Sunday and wasn't happy with how I was feeling so that was motivation enough for me.  I'm going to add you to my friends list and I'll come check up on you ~ maybe if I'm trying to help someone else in the process it will help me!!
2009-06-05 4:53 PM

User image

Expert
Hi all. I wasn't sure if anyone was still reading this thread but I have something I want to share for those who are still checking in.

At the end of the challenge, I had gained 3 pounds and didn't understand what was going on but I decided that I was on a mission to reduce my sugar intake so I decided to stick with it. The first weekend after the challenge I was tempted by catered food for a weekend training event. I did good resisting the food on Saturday but on Sunday I gave into temptation and had pizza, chips and cookies. I thoroughly enjoyed it until I got home and sat on the toilet for several hours!! According to a "health nut" friend of mine, my body was rebelling against the "bad food" I had consumed. I decided that I like the way I feel without sugar so I got back to it again. Since that weekend, I have only had one ding and I have dropped those mysterious 3 pounds that I gained during the challenge. Just this week I received several comments about being more toned and "cut" and I am starting to notice too!

Just today, I missed lunch and was on my way to get my kids and rather than grab a pack of cheese crackers, I decided to run into a grocery store and get 1/8lb of turkey breast from the deli. It filled me up and when I took my kids for an ice cream (to celebrate the last day of school) I didn't even want any!! So, this is my approach to food now. I am doing way better than I was BEFORE the challenge and I know my body appreciates the changes I am making. I know that long term I will make better food choices because I feel better all around...I certainly don't want to feel the way I did after the pizza and cookies!

Why am I sharing this? Because no matter what happens, we are all better off for trying to reduce our intake of processed food and sugar. If it means you need a BT challenge to keep you on track, by all means create another challenge! The end goal is to create a healthier lifestyle for YOU. You shouldn't feel bad b/c you "mess up". Just find a system that works for you and that you can maintain long term. I think I am on the right track (for me) and expect to enjoy sugar once in a while but I don't want to be dependent or crave it like I used to. Sorry for the length of this post but I really wanted to share since you all helped me get to where I am now!! Good luck and I hope to see you around BT!

Edited by surfnturf 2009-06-05 4:54 PM
2009-06-05 7:19 PM
in reply to: #2198205

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
surfnturf - 2009-06-05 11:53 AM Hi all. I wasn't sure if anyone was still reading this thread but I have something I want to share for those who are still checking in. At the end of the challenge, I had gained 3 pounds and didn't understand what was going on but I decided that I was on a mission to reduce my sugar intake so I decided to stick with it. The first weekend after the challenge I was tempted by catered food for a weekend training event. I did good resisting the food on Saturday but on Sunday I gave into temptation and had pizza, chips and cookies. I thoroughly enjoyed it until I got home and sat on the toilet for several hours!! According to a "health nut" friend of mine, my body was rebelling against the "bad food" I had consumed. I decided that I like the way I feel without sugar so I got back to it again. Since that weekend, I have only had one ding and I have dropped those mysterious 3 pounds that I gained during the challenge. Just this week I received several comments about being more toned and "cut" and I am starting to notice too! Just today, I missed lunch and was on my way to get my kids and rather than grab a pack of cheese crackers, I decided to run into a grocery store and get 1/8lb of turkey breast from the deli. It filled me up and when I took my kids for an ice cream (to celebrate the last day of school) I didn't even want any!! So, this is my approach to food now. I am doing way better than I was BEFORE the challenge and I know my body appreciates the changes I am making. I know that long term I will make better food choices because I feel better all around...I certainly don't want to feel the way I did after the pizza and cookies! Why am I sharing this? Because no matter what happens, we are all better off for trying to reduce our intake of processed food and sugar. If it means you need a BT challenge to keep you on track, by all means create another challenge! The end goal is to create a healthier lifestyle for YOU. You shouldn't feel bad b/c you "mess up". Just find a system that works for you and that you can maintain long term. I think I am on the right track (for me) and expect to enjoy sugar once in a while but I don't want to be dependent or crave it like I used to. Sorry for the length of this post but I really wanted to share since you all helped me get to where I am now!! Good luck and I hope to see you around BT!

That is awesome, Dana!!!  And you are soooo right about the end result being a healthier lifestyle with some added "pleasures" in there that you can live with!
I am finding my groove again...I guess after having that "freedom" from the challenge I went a bit crazy and paid for it.  I am now back to where I was in terms of resisting and not "needing" the crap...Ok, with the exception of the brownie incident for those of you that read my blog!   I'm just trying to remind myself that even if I don't have that cake/pizza/whatever right now, it will still be there for me later/tomorrow/next week if I so desire.  I want to eat to fuel my body and just keep reminding myself of all my hard work I've done to come this far and I don't want to blow it ~ I'm actually starting to like the new me!
2009-06-06 7:49 PM

User image

Expert
Michelle,
That is awesome!! It sounds like you have come to the same realization I did. I know that sugar will always be a temptation for me but I also recognize that it is okay to have sugar IN MODERATION. Now, I am looking to fuel my body with the types of food my body wants and my body is responding as a result. Good luck to you and I know we will keep in touch through inspires and logs/blogs.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spring 2009 12-week "No Sugar" challenge Rss Feed  

of 26