General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spring 2009 12-week "No Sugar" challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-02-17 2:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Cazenovia
Subject: Spring 2009 12-week "No Sugar" challenge

Ok, since I didn't see Dream Chaser's no sugar challenge until after it had started, and since there is interest in doing something similar again, I'm heading up the challenge. 

Because it looks like we'll have some participants from the last challenge (and because I can't really think of any way to improve on the challenge), we'll be using pretty much the same rules that Dream Chaser established. 

The only thing I'm changing is that I will put up $50.00 and it will go towards supporting an athlete who's participating in a charity event (Team in Training, Tour de Cure, etc).  If the winner chooses to pick out the recipient of the $50.00 they can do so, otherwise it will be my choice.   

Here's Dream Chaser's original rules (plagarized completely, with DC's permission):

Only participants with a sweet tooth are allowed to enter.  If you don't have a problem with sweets, please do not enter. 

Please at some point, and only once, post your starting weight.  You must post your weight before the official start date.  There is a chance this contest may end in a tie, and the tie breaker will be the biggest weight loss percentage.

The official Start Date is Sunday March 1st Midnight.  No Exceptions.  Sorry, but if you have not posted your desire to join by midnight, Sunday March 1st you cannot join.  Sorry   The contest will end on May 24th at 12 midnight.  Tie-breaker weights must be posted before midnight that night. 

I had a friend who was enormous.  6' 7" tall, and an unbelievably huge belly.  He moved out of state, than 6 months later visited and his gut was completely gone!  We all asked him what diet he was on.  He simply said he cut out added sugars.

The Rules: 

a.) No added sugars: fructose, corn-syrup, high-fructose, maltose, evaporated cane juice etc...  If you read the ingredients on an item, and one of the first three ingredients is sugar (or any form of sugar) it's banned.  No Junk Food.  Junk food defined as any processed snack.  There are exceptions and I will list them below, along with examples of what can be eaten and what can't. 

b.) If you relapse/ cheat/ screw-up ... it's okay.  Not the end of the world.  But you must report it.  Every time you cheat - you must post it in this thread and an "X" will be marked next to your name on an excel spreadsheet   The person with the least amount of "X's" on May 24th midnight is the winner.  If there is a tie, then weight loss percentage will be the tie-breaker.

c.) We are going on the Honor System here people.  Us triathlete's are very honest people so I don't see this as being a problem.  Like the famous phrase goes: "You can quit and no one will care if you do.  But you'll know."  Just the same, if you cheat - it will be on you and you will know.  And I'm a firm believer in Karma

Please read these rules again.

What you Cannot eat: 

1.) No junk food - NO SODA.  Junk food defined as: dorito's, potato chips, pretzels, ring dings, candy, cookies, lifesavers,licorice, lifesavers, buttered popcorn,  ... use common sense.  Also no muffins, no cakes, pastries, etc...  We all know what junk food is  

2.No added or refined sugarsNo sugar in your coffee.  If an item has ingredients, and sugar is in the top three ingredients - it's banned.  If sugar or a form of sugar is ingredient number four ...it is allowed.

3.) No Chocolate!!  Yes, NO CHOCOLATE.  Sure this will be a deal-breaker or often slip-up item for many ... but no chocolate of any kind is allowed.  This will be so damn hard for me especially!

4.) Artificial Sweetners - splenda, sucralose, sacchrin, etc.. they are NOT allowed.  No you cannot have diet soda or sugar-free snacks.  They are unhealthy and they are a crutch and they will lead you back to the real thing - studies have proven it.  If you want to get healthy and lose weight, let's get honest.  Let's get really honest.  Artificial Sugar is just as bad, if not worse for our bodies.  Every packet of sweet and low is a slip!! 

What you Can eat:

1.) Don't fret, there is lots you can eat, like:  Natural Sugar.  Any natural fruit - apples, strawberries (no whipped cream on them though!) raisins, raw nuts (no honey-roasted), bananas, cherries, etc...   You also can eat popcorn, but without the artifical butter.  If you want to melt your own natural butter, that's fine and allowed.  But the artifical butter is not allowed.    

2.) Exceptions List: Training Aids are allowed.  An hour before training - During Training - and Up to an Hour after training you are allowed to use any training-specific foods, meaning YES you CAN drink gatorade, infinit, gels, any powerbar, hammer nutrition products etc...  You can have a chocolate powerbar, you can have a chocolate protein shake - but only one hour before - during - or one hour after training.  That's the window, and it has to be a training specific nutrition food.  And Please Use your Discretion.  Example: If you normally eat a snickers on your long ride, than you eat one.  If you normally don't, and now want to start - you're fooling yourself. 

Another exception is in case of illness - like a sore throat, Yes you can have lozenges.  Again, use your discretion. 

3.) We all get one Holiday Free Pass (mulligan).  That's right, we all get ONE FREE SLIP.  And by one free pass I mean one slice of cherry pie, or one piece of cake, one bite of a chocolate rabbit.  Not an entire night of eating.  One snack. 

4.)  Birthday Cake Exception.  I'm superstitious. I admit it.  If you go to a birthday party, or it is your birthday - Yes, you can have one regular-sized piece of cake, regardless of what kind of cake it is.  You will not be dinged.  This is allowed.  If you'd like you can include Weddings and Anniversary parties, so long as the person is close to you.  Use your discretion.

When in doubt, use the Neanderthal man rule.  Ask yourself this question:  Could neanderthal man eat this snack?  If the answer is YES, than you can eat it.  If the answer is NO, than it's banned.   If you still are unsure, post it here and we will vote as to whether it is allowed. 

If you wish to enter please think about it for a while and see if you are really ready to commit to a plan like this. 

Here's a quick rehash:  You must post "Yes" I want to join.  Then, before March 1st midnight, you must post your weight.  A spreadsheet accessible in this thread will post your name/ username and your weight.  Any and every time you slip-up you must post it in this thread and an "X" will be placed next to your name.  The BT'er with the least amount of "X's" on the finish date of May 24th, midnight is the winner.  No honey in your tea, no sugar in your coffee, no candy bars, no artifical goodies of any kind.

If you know a BT friend who might be interested tell them about this contest as, again, it starts promptly in 11 days.  This is challenge is a huge commitment and undertaking.  It will not interfere with your normal square meal intake during the day.  You can eat all the meats, veggies, fish, potatoes, sandwiches you want ... and you can eat any processed food you want... so long as a form of sugar is not in the first three ingredients listed.  Example: Total cereal - second ingredient is Sugar.  You Cannot eat it!  Thomas's English muffins, corn syrup is the fifth ingredient so YOU CAN eat it!

Please post any questions you may have.

2009-02-17 2:20 PM
in reply to: #1966763

User image

Veteran
Cazenovia
Subject: Spreadsheet link
2009-02-17 2:39 PM

Subject: RE: Spring 2009 12-week "No Sugar" challenge
Hey folks, I know I don't normally post in the Weight Loss forum, but can I play anyway? I've been really bad about my eating habits over the last several months, and need to shed some excess pounds, for my frame, anyway. Not looking to starve myself, but just trying to get back to the healthy eating habits that I used to have. I'm approaching 30 and the days of eating whatever I want are rapidly vanishing...sigh... I think I need something drastic to 'reset' my eating habits, ya know?
2009-02-17 5:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Cazenovia

Don't worry, Abbie - we're keeping the birthday cake rule *and* one mulligan.  This will be virtually identical to DC's challenge; except I've dropped the reward to $50 and it goes towards an athlete doing a charity event. 

I am definitely open to any other ideas or suggestions that you all worked out along the way....I know you had a debate going about honey and I can't remember exactly what was determined.  Allowable or not?  

2009-02-17 6:12 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Yay for birthdays!  Honey was allowed.
2009-02-17 6:56 PM

User image

If Honey is in... then I'm in again  

I allowed honey on the basis that it's 100% natural and the body breaks it down efficiently, and hopefully people won't abuse the privelege and will only have one teaspoon when they do have it. 

Lemme know.  It's your contest now - your rules  

Oh, and I like charity prize.  Karma points there... now I'd actually feel like I'm doing it for someone else!!  And it's a tax right off :p

2009-02-17 8:11 PM

User image

Elite
yep, I'm in again too!
2009-02-17 8:22 PM

How does one access the spreadsheet?
2009-02-17 8:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Cazenovia

All righty then; honey is allowed.  Glad to have everybody on board so far.  Spread the word - let's get lots of challengers!

2009-02-17 8:37 PM
in reply to: #1967413

User image

Veteran
Cazenovia

wurkit_gurl - 2009-02-17 9:22 PM How does one access the spreadsheet?

go to www.docs.google.com

for email, enter "btchallenge"

for password, enter "challengeforum"

Then look for the "Spring 2009 12-week "No Sugar" challenge.

OR - after my initial post in this thread, I tried posting a link to the spreadsheet.  Try it and if it doesn't work, I'll try to fix it and post again. 

OR...if you have a g-mail account already, PM your address to me and I can send you a direct invitation to the spreadsheet. 

2009-02-17 8:44 PM
in reply to: #1967442

TryTryTry - 2009-02-17 9:37 PM

wurkit_gurl - 2009-02-17 9:22 PM How does one access the spreadsheet?

go to www.docs.google.com

for email, enter "btchallenge"

for password, enter "challengeforum"

Then look for the "Spring 2009 12-week "No Sugar" challenge.

OR - after my initial post in this thread, I tried posting a link to the spreadsheet.  Try it and if it doesn't work, I'll try to fix it and post again. 

OR...if you have a g-mail account already, PM your address to me and I can send you a direct invitation to the spreadsheet. 

Oh, okay - I have accessed other challenge spreadsheets, but didn't know if this one used the same passwords as the ones in the "Challenge" forum - thanks

2009-02-18 8:07 AM

User image

Regular
South AL
I am in again too!

Debbie
2009-02-18 8:13 AM

User image

Master
I'm in!!!

I will post my starting weight on March 1 because I will likely lose a little more before then.

I recently cut out sugar from the coffee ... I am almost there! But the diet soda (and, let's be honest, once in a while regular soda) kills me.

I have 10 blissful days left to drink my Diet Mountain Dew. Ah, sweet nectar of the Gods...

12 weeks without soda? Hmm... this IS a challenge! Longest I've gone is a week.
2009-02-18 8:13 AM

User image

Master
(BTW, my spouse says giving up diet soda is not realistic.) Heh.

Edited by Offthegrid 2009-02-18 8:14 AM
2009-02-18 9:22 AM

Chocolate and baked goods are my weakness. For an otherwise healthy person, I have no will power when it comes to those things. Which is why I don't buy them on a regular basis. But they seem to keep appearing at work, my roommates bring them home to share, etc.

Will post weight some time this weekend - I don't actually own a scale (used to be a dancer, never thought it was healthy to own one as I was afraid I'd obsess more than I already did). But I know the last time I was at the doc, they weighed me and I remember the number. But I'd like a recent measurement. I won't be going for too much weight-loss, since I'm not overweight, but definitely looking to change some body composition.  But I can report as to how my clothes are fitting.

2009-02-18 11:24 AM
in reply to: #1968161

User image

Veteran
Cazenovia
wurkit_gurl - 2009-02-18 10:22 AM

Chocolate and baked goods are my weakness. For an otherwise healthy person, I have no will power when it comes to those things. Which is why I don't buy them on a regular basis. But they seem to keep appearing at work, my roommates bring them home to share, etc.

Will post weight some time this weekend - I don't actually own a scale (used to be a dancer, never thought it was healthy to own one as I was afraid I'd obsess more than I already did). But I know the last time I was at the doc, they weighed me and I remember the number. But I'd like a recent measurement. I won't be going for too much weight-loss, since I'm not overweight, but definitely looking to change some body composition.  But I can report as to how my clothes are fitting.

I am in a similar situation...I try very hard to eat healthy; I don't buy chocolate, etc. myself, but fall prey when they are brought to work.  I'm also a sucker for Girl Scout cookies, so it's no coincidence that the timing of this challenge falls in GS cookie time. 

I really wanted to measure a tie-breaker in terms of percentage of body fat lost instead of weight loss, but I wasn't sure if people would be able to get body fat measured easily enough.  For myself, I'm not looking so much for weightloss as I am a decrease in BF percentage. 

It's going to be interesting, that's for sure! 

2009-02-18 11:25 AM
in reply to: #1968551

User image

Elite

Personally I know I have no way of winning, I'll be dinging a lot, but for a lot of folks on the other challenge they were doing body fat percentage since they didn't lose a lot of weight.

You should still require everyone to post their weight or body fat percentage, that was the tiebreaker to the dings.

2009-02-18 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1968551

TryTryTry - 2009-02-18 12:24 PM

I am in a similar situation...I try very hard to eat healthy; I don't buy chocolate, etc. myself, but fall prey when they are brought to work.  I'm also a sucker for Girl Scout cookies, so it's no coincidence that the timing of this challenge falls in GS cookie time. 

I really wanted to measure a tie-breaker in terms of percentage of body fat lost instead of weight loss, but I wasn't sure if people would be able to get body fat measured easily enough.  For myself, I'm not looking so much for weightloss as I am a decrease in BF percentage. 

It's going to be interesting, that's for sure! 

Same here - looking to change my body fat % as I'm positive that it's not where I would like it to be. It's just hard to measure accurately. The caliper method is only slightly accurate (and not sure where I would get that done at the moment, anyway, as I only have emergency health insurance - the lovely part of being laid off). And the scales are not accurate, either, though at least if you saw the number go up or down, you'd know if there were changes happening, even if the value itself wasn't correct. So I will have to judge by clothing fit and a little bit on the scale. I'm not looking to win it with the most amount of weight lost. I know there are folks on here who have it as a legitimate goal, and that's awesome. I just want to do this to get myself back on track and back to where I was 2 years ago. And I also want to see if I can resist temptation. Already giving up wheat products for Lent, in an attempt to avoid processed carbs and baked goods, so I figure how much harder could it be to give up sugar. Just means I will eat more whole foods.

2009-02-18 11:53 AM
in reply to: #1968559

User image

Veteran
Cazenovia
turtlegirl - 2009-02-18 12:25 PM

Personally I know I have no way of winning, I'll be dinging a lot, but for a lot of folks on the other challenge they were doing body fat percentage since they didn't lose a lot of weight.

You should still require everyone to post their weight or body fat percentage, that was the tiebreaker to the dings.

Yup, people will have to post their weight prior to the start of the challenge.  Why do you say you'll be getting a lot of dings?  What do you see yourself "dinging" on? 

I have been wavering on how well I think I'm going to do.  I really, really want to get through ding-free.  I don't know if I can do it, though.  I do love sweets.  That's what has made this so appealing to me...it will be a struggle.  But it will be worth it if we can do it. 

2009-02-18 1:41 PM
in reply to: #1968016

User image

Expert
Offthegrid - 2009-02-18 7:13 AM

Diet Mountain Dew. Ah, sweet nectar of the Gods...

AMEN!

Edited by cayrip 2009-02-18 1:52 PM
2009-02-18 1:51 PM

User image

Expert
Yes--I want to join. I am a closet addict to soda and junk food (my wife only knows about half of what I consume--she always asks me how I still have a belly considering all the training I do---I KNOW WHY!)

I do have a question. What about beer and alcohol? Are they excluded? I give myself one day a week to indulge so I need to know what I'm getting myself into.

Thanks and I'm excited to challenge myself to this (and scared!)

2009-02-18 2:15 PM
in reply to: #1968976

User image

Veteran
Cazenovia

cayrip - 2009-02-18 2:51 PM Yes--I want to join. I am a closet addict to soda and junk food (my wife only knows about half of what I consume--she always asks me how I still have a belly considering all the training I do---I KNOW WHY!) I do have a question. What about beer and alcohol? Are they excluded? I give myself one day a week to indulge so I need to know what I'm getting myself into. Thanks and I'm excited to challenge myself to this (and scared!)

Beer and alcohol are allowed, so long as it's not a "liqueur" (kahlua, bailey's, etc.)

2009-02-18 2:35 PM

User image

Expert
Count me in---I need this BADLY!

I'll have to cut out my margaritas unless I can figure out how to make them naturally.

Edited by cayrip 2009-02-18 2:36 PM
2009-02-18 2:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Cazenovia
You're on the spreadsheet!
2009-02-18 2:56 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
I'm in again.  I have a feeling that I'll slip into my old bad sugar-eating habits without the challenge and everyone to report to.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spring 2009 12-week "No Sugar" challenge Rss Feed  

of 26