General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running, biking UGHGHGHGH Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-10 3:16 PM

Silver Spring, Maryland (By Way of Kamloops, B.C.)
Subject: Running, biking UGHGHGHGH
For some reason Im starting to lose interest in the middle of my running and biking workouts. Any suggestions for a more creative way for me to complete these workouts? Esp. the cycling on a stationary trainer... AND running on a treadmill. I don't want to do anything that takes away from intensity - I just want something to cure the boredom. Im in the 6th week of the 16 week sprint program.

Thanks in advance!

2004-03-10 3:23 PM
in reply to: #11728

User image

NW Suburbs of Chicago
Subject: RE: Running, biking UGHGHGHGH
YARRRRGGGHHHH.... running on a treadmill AND riding on an indoor trainer?
No wonder you are losing interest - how normal of you!!

Can you get outside for the run?
I know it is cold in Maryland, but it is cold in Chicago too.
I have run outside all winter to keep me out of a straight jacket.
It is actually a nice change - and at least you have scenery.

Do you run or ride with music while you are training indoors?
Or hit the speed button up and down a couple of times to vary the intensity for a minute or 90 seconds?

Just some random thoughts.......

Hang on, Spring will be here soon!

2004-03-10 4:45 PM

Coeur d'Alene, ID
I am training indoors for now too, and I also recommend music. That and ESPN. I just know I can be like those athletes if I try hard enough.
2004-03-10 5:18 PM

, Alabama

If you have to be indoors, I would recommend changing the grade, speed, anything you can every X amount of minutes.  That way, you can look forward to, say, in 5 minutes I get to do this change, etc.  Sometimes it's easier seeing a lot of 5 minutes than looking at an entire indoor ride for say, an hour. 

Sharon

Edited by snikpos 2004-03-10 5:18 PM
2004-03-10 5:25 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
here's what i do, as music somehow doesn't always keep my interest, when i'm training indoors.

Well first, it really breaks it up nicely if you can get out once a week into the open air. I try to do that on weekends when I have more time to go somewhere and do something a little different, a little interesting. It really keeps it fresh for me.

Treadmill
if there isn't a baseball game on (which I love, and alas, not much until April), i listen to books on tape. this has been great. not only have a 'read' some great books, but i've also sped through my work. the way my mind works, i need something complex to keep my mind on and music though enjoyable is not enough.

Bike Trainer
again, i look for storytelling aparatus rather than music. my trainer is in the attic, so i don't have access to a tv, but i bring up my laptop (or i should say, my housemates) and put a dvd on it. that works for me. i've also wanted to get a hold of spinervals--which gives you a directed workout on the trainer. i'd really like that and i imagine that it will work well.

BUT MOSTLY, I would recommend trying to get out once a week. It will make a difference when it comes to the daily grind training!!

Best of luck to you!!

Dana

2004-03-10 5:57 PM
in reply to: #11757

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
snikpos - 2004-03-10 5:18 PM

If you have to be indoors, I would recommend changing the grade, speed, anything you can every X amount of minutes. That way, you can look forward to, say, in 5 minutes I get to do this change, etc. Sometimes it's easier seeing a lot of 5 minutes than looking at an entire indoor ride for say, an hour.

that's what I do.  I use the commercials as my guide so I'm not staring at my watch the entire time.  I call it "commercial intervals" 

2004-03-10 7:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
I try setting goals such as distance/time/intensity, this gives me something to work towards. i use this website as motivation too, at the end of the day i love being able to fill out my log with all the training i do... im doing twice as much as what i was last year!

aidan
2004-03-10 8:10 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
I agree w/ many above. Get outside as much as possible. If you must be in then break your workout up into intervals so you don't focus on just riding a steady pace for an hour. Major nose pick there. I like Ellen's idea of commercial intervals. :-)
2004-03-10 11:55 PM

Champion
I'm in the boat with Snikpos and TriMom...work in as much variety as possible. Here's one of the things I do on the treadmill, but there are others too:

1. Warm up for 5-10 mintues at a brisk pace. After that, I increase the incline by 1% each minute until I hit the maximum grade (15%). I used to be able to hold it there at that pace (3.5 mph) for 2 minutes, but my fitness is getting better, as I did this yesterday and held it for 15 minutes. Then do a decrease at 1% per minute until back to level. By that time my breathing and heart rate is back down. Increase the grade to 5% and run at 10 minute/mile pace for 10 minutes. Cool down. If these paces and grades don't fit your ability, make adjustments so you can do something similar. Get used to playing games like this on the equipment, as it helps pass the time. Good music is a must as well.

Max
2004-03-11 2:47 AM

Veteran
budapest, hungary.
hi. my advice to you is:
whenever you are doing the activities indoor, dont do a normal run or a normal bike ride.
since many of those instruments has many options try to use them, like making an uphill training ,or speed interval training. just make sure that every few minutes something changes.

by the way i saw on tv , that many gyms in the u.s are now using running machines with a dvd. so you can bring your own movie and watch it ,as you a have a big screen infront of you on the control panel.
2004-03-11 10:18 AM

Thanks Shay -- this is a good prompt for me. I tend to get into a rut and stay there. Using dfferent settings is a good idea for me to start doing more of. I do try to run at least one time a week outdoors. It's SOOOO much nicer.

2004-03-11 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
I absolutely detest the treadmill and the lifecycle at the gym. I only use them when absolutely necessary, which in Houston, Texas is not that often! It has been a couple of weeks since I have even needed an extra shirt while biking. March and April are just gorgeous here, but we pay for it in August and September...

2004-03-11 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
I pray for the day when I'm running so long on the treadmill that I get completely bored! It's the bike that kills me. I just can't make past 30 min. I get crazy, distracted it drives me nuts!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running, biking UGHGHGHGH Rss Feed