General Discussion Race Reports! » Scottsdale Youth & Adult Sprint Triathlon & Duathl Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Scottsdale Youth & Adult Sprint Triathlon & Duathl - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Scottsdale, AZ
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 14m 39s
Overall Rank = 59/98
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/14
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5 AM, left for race at 5:30. Stopped at McDonald's for a large coffee and ended up at location at around 6 AM. Set up transition area and made sure everything was "just so" for about 30 mins. Got waaaay nervous and decided to sit in the car and eat something. Had a banana and a yogurt and washed it down with a little bit of Cytomax. Decided to get out of the car and mill around to see what else I needed to do. Saw the line for getting inked up with the numbers starting to form so I went ahead and got that done by a woman who didn't seem to be too happy to be there. Then milled around for about 1.5 hours between going to the bathroom, talking to the mrs. and just chilling out with the ipod. The race started late, but that was ok because it was freezing. Had a blast watching the kids do their thing first.
Swim
  • 06m 40s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

So...I stayed loose going into the swim. Talked with people, tried to smile a whole lot, you know. In my experiences, if I think about something too much, I blow it. What I don't do is prepare for the unexpected. When I jumped into the water, my left goggle fills half way with water. Immediately, I'm not thinking about the swim but my goggles! I think to myself, "do I stop at the end of the pool and drain it out, or do I make the best of it". I'm worried about being passed. At this point, I have no idea if I'm swimming correctly, how my breathing is going, or even how far I've swum! After about 150 yds, I get passed by BOTH of the women who were behind me. So, I decided to calm down and just concentrate on my stroke, breathing, etc and just close my left eye and it'll all be over soon. Good news is, 20 guys finished behind me and I know I could have shaved 30 secs off of my swim if I hadn't freaked out.
What would you do differently?:

GET BETTER GOOGLES! And be prepared for the what if's.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Getting the googles off was the easiest thing I've ever done. I couldn't wait to get rid of them. I got to T1 in pretty good shape. I was breathing hard, but that was almost entirely due to stress. I put my shoes on, and instantly decided to go shirtless, which I think saved tons of time, took a gel shot, rinsed it with some Cytomax and put on the helmet. I positioned the bike to within 15 feet of where I could get on my bike and that saved time too.

Nothing, it went as well as could be expected.
Bike
  • 40m 5s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.96 mile/hr
Comments:

I definitely could've gone hareder, but I wanted to hold back so I'd have something for the run. Passing was hairy on the narrow lanes, so I just didn't. I passed the really slow folks, but after a while the field became crowded as more people left the pool. Some riders didn't let you know they going to pass you and I saw a lot of close calls as someone would drift just a little to their left not knowing someone was on their shoulder. I just sat up when I got behind someone slower and waited until the lanes opened up. Also, the laps were counted by marks on your arm. So, we were routed into a parking lot off the road, and were asked to slow down and get the mark. This too was an accident waiting to happen, as people would get their mark and then jockey for position to get back on the road. I had waved a couple by me one time only to pass them on the wide street, but they seemed anxious so it seemed to be the right thing to do.

Not much in that situation, but when I did open it up, I poured it on. My max speed was 26.7 according to my computer.
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

This transition I needed a little more time. Luckily, I remembered to get into an easier gear and shake my legs loose before I got off the bike, so my legs were in better shape than they otherwise would have been. I got my running shoes on, and my shirt and off I went.

Nothing
Run
  • 23m 57s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

So, I'm in the 70's overall in the swim and the cycling and finish in the 40's in the run. Who knew? That just blows me away...I don't know what to make of this. I kept a good pace and I did pass some people, but...anyways, I'll take it. Sub 8's was a pipedream for me and I just made it, so I'm way stoked over that. It goes to show I may have been going too easy on the bike. The second half of my run was better than the first so I don't know what that pace was, but it had to be pretty quick for me.

Not a lot! I need to work on it just a tad more, and I can really improve my times.
Post race
Warm down:

Kissed the wife and looked for water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nerves, inexperience, passivity, inexperience, and did I mention inexperience.

Event comments:

My first tri is under my belt! 6 weeks ago when I started this I figured I'd come up with some lame excuse not to do it, but surprisingly, I followed through. Not my strong suit either. Hopefully, this will begin a new trend for me. I can't wait until my next one, which I have my eyes on a Memorial Day event. 10 weeks and counting.

Last updated: 2005-03-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:40 | 300 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/14
Overall: 78/98
Performance: Below average
Zig-zag under the ropes until you get to the end and then run out of the shallow end to the transition area
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:05 | 12 miles | 17.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/14
Overall: 71/98
Performance: Average
4 loops around the park. Half was on wide lanes easy for passing and the other half were narrow bike path's.
Wind: Little
Course: Flat...one tiny incline over a bridge.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:57 | 03 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/14
Overall: 49/98
Performance: Good
Out and back on a concrete trail through the park.
Course: Pretty much flat with one section that dipped.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-03-21 9:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson, Arizona
Subject: Scottsdale Youth & Adult Sprint Triathlon & Duathl

2005-03-21 11:44 PM
in reply to: #132554

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Scottsdale Youth & Adult Sprint Triathlon & Duathl
Awesome race!  You finished well!  Keep up the training!  It only gets better!
2005-03-22 9:45 AM
in reply to: #132588

User image

Veteran
Tucson, Arizona
Subject: RE: Scottsdale Youth & Adult Sprint Triathlon & Duathl
Thanks for the encouragement. I hope it gets better, but in the end, I had a blast doing this and as long as that keeps up I'll be happy.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Scottsdale Youth & Adult Sprint Triathlon & Duathl Rss Feed