in reply to: #1984375

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Frustrations
ChrisM - 2009-02-26 3:39 PM
Aikidoman - 2009-02-26 3:08 PM
ChrisM - 2009-02-26 2:49 PM

Here was my goal:  Maybe to get a couple people to at least realize bigger guys have it 'rougher' in this sport and recognize that.  Maybe understand that it can be frustrating and comiserate a bit.

Well, they do give us the Clydesdale division, and had you waited around, you would've won your AG at your IM!!!!!

In all seriousness, I get it, at races and in training.  Guys I  ride with used to drop me within 5 miles when I first started.  Eventually, I could keep up, and sometimes lead a little, but when they really want to have a go it at, or do a hill climb, I am constantly reminded that they are 5'8" and 160, not to mention years and decades of riding, whereas I am... not.

That stuff is nice.  For me, during my first season, I would beat some people, but look at them and say (to myself), "I should be beating them".  I know, that probably sounds arrogant.  BTW, there were some others that looked like I should beat them, but still kicked my arse.

This last season, I was finally beating people that based on appearances, made me proud that I prevailed.  I felt I arrived.  They were trim, athletic, had nice equipment (yes, I know that says nothing about the 'engine').  I finally felt like I belong in triathlon.

I guess that's just the competitive side of me talking and only pertains to ME and my view of myself.  It's no reflection on any other competitors...

Probably didn't happen to you at Silverman, but on a loop course at IMAZ, it was nice being on the third loop,. running with people on their second    I looked at them and thought "you should be faster than me," and I'll bet a couple looked at me and thought "how the hell are you faster than me???" 

I should edit above, you DID win your AG, you just weren't there to stand on the podium

Ha!  The 'old and fat' AG!!!!    But I am proud of that....

At silverman, people would pass me on the bike, and I would say, "that seems right", but then when I passed them on the run?  I was stoked.  When things were bleak, but I had someone who looked like a much better athlete in my sights, I would dig deep and pass with a little gusto....  with a casual "good job" (even though I was hurting on the inside!)

Edited by Aikidoman 2009-02-26 5:46 PM

2009-02-27 11:19 PM
in reply to: #1978294

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA

I am an athena and I am also proud of my athletic accomplishments.  But I completely get what you are saying...

When I was a MUCH younger gal I danced ballet and I was pretty good.  As I hit my growth spurt it became clear that my chances of being a ballerina were slim - as I was not.    No matter how graceful I could be... I was just too "sturdy" to be the delicate swan.  I went on to use my athletic build in a variety of sports where it has served me well over the years.  I've rowed crew, paddled outrigger, and play roller hockey.  I still love to dance and even catch the ballet once in a while.  But whenever I go there is always that 1% of me that envies the dancers and the genetic gifts that I didn't get.

Now I just channel my power into triathlons.  As a newbie (2007) I have so much to learn but I love that challenge!  I just try to improve a little with each race.

2009-02-28 9:18 AM
in reply to: #1977249

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
I've kind of resigned myself that being part of the under 25 crowd and being heavy means being dead last. I've seen plenty of girls doing their first triathlon who just blow past me in their tiny booty shorts without breaking a sweat...and it kills me and makes me feel even more self conscious about every inch of my body which has to be crammed into a mens tri suit because I'm not petite enough to fit a womens tri suit.

I just wish that I could take off about 50 lbs for race day and see how I go with my current health level. Just to see. Just to validate that I don't totally suck at this.
2009-03-03 6:40 PM
in reply to: #1984264

User image

I totally understand where you are coming from Akidoman -- I will never be at the top, and if I do podium, it is because no one bothered to finish. Most of the time, I am pretty happy with what I am doing. Most of the time. But every once in a while it gets driven home that I will never be taking one of those awards home and it does bother me a little bit.

My mother has asked me several times since I started doing tris why I am doing it if I am not going to win. I keep trying to tell her that it isn't about "winning" - it is more about my own self-respect and determination. Last year, I came in dead last in my 3 olympic distance races. The Tempe International kicked my butt, and as I came across the finish line, the RDs were handing out the awards. I was about to drop, and luckily, a friend of mine (who got an award) saw me and ran over and took my timing chip off. In Deuces Wild, I met the sweeper on both the ride and the run. By some fluke, no one showed up that day, so because I finished the race, I got third in the Athena class. I admit, I was a tiny bit bitter about that. The third race was Blue Water in Parker, and there were 40mph winds all through the ride. I finished it. Many didn't bother to finish because they were wiped out by the wind. That jerk who runs Mountain Man events had already taken down the timers by the time I was done, and so I had no times for my bike or my run, but I still marched down and got my finishing medal. Will I be doing races this year? Yup. Will I come in DFL again? Maybe. Is there a corner of me that is thinking "G-D, can't I just once get called up for an award?" Yes. Does it make any difference in what I will actually do? No. I think you are on the same wavelength as well. It is irritating at times, since we (Athena and Clydesdale athletes) are putting in more time (sometimes) and way more effort (b/c of our size) than those skinny little people. They will never realize it unless they actually experience it.

Most of the time, I am happy with the respect that I am given as a finisher, but sometimes I am a little jealous of those who get to take home some hardware or proof of their hard work and committment to the sport besides being totally exhausted.

Leslie

2009-03-03 7:07 PM
in reply to: #1995187

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Thanks for sharing... 
2009-03-03 11:22 PM
in reply to: #1995241

User image

Champion
the colony texas

what gets me sometimes is that I don't think some of my  friends understand how different it is for a 42y/o 220LB + guy vs some 25 y/o 150lb ex college runner...   They will try to console me when they compare my time vs the winner's time, or just the top AG.   I"ve placed in the Clydes at a few local events, and they think that means I am a top AG or over all person.. silly people

I can explain that they are pro's, Top AG, or just young punks    and I happy for what I can do, but i'm not upset that I didn't win, just that I thought I could have done better at some aspect out on the course.

But yea,, some days I just think I have more could have more fun training and just doing a couple local events a year, instead of an IM, HIM and lots of local events.. I"d save some cash too

Edited by Gaarryy 2009-03-03 11:23 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Frustrations Rss Feed  

of 2