Japan
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 52m 31s
Overall Rank = 612/9010
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got the kids dressed, ate loaded the car and headed down to Comprehensive Park to check things out. Played at the park for a while with the kids. A 9 a.m. start time is pretty wierd.
Event warmup:

Stretched a bit, hit the bathroom a few times.
Run
  • 3h 52m 31s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

The hills were brutal. The course started out pancake flat then the hills began. I didn't have problems with the uphill but the downhills were steep and painful after a few hours...especially the final downhill that lasts 2K. I really could not ever get in the groove out there. I was kind of ho-hum at the start line. Since I didn't know anyone and most don't speak english it was a bit wierd not being able to talk to anyone. I think I wasn't mentally in the race from the start but I still had a good time.

The Japanese crowd was amazing. You couldn't go 20 feet without seeing people and most of the time the streets were lined with people. You've got to watch what you grab as you hit the tables because I drank some Japanese tea at one table thinking it was water then I almost grabbed a cup of noodles at another station. They were all handing out stuff, most of which I had no idea what it was. There was a bunch of salt trays that runners would just dip there fingers in and stick in their mouth, but knowing where my hands go during a marathon there was no way I was mixing my gross with 1000's of other people's gross. You could always tell when you were nearing Americans cheering because you could hear them "Wooo"-ing from a far away distance while the Japanese banged drums and said "go-go-go". Did I say the crowds were awesome? Some ladies even ran out in the road and offered me weird stuff saying "please take". There were at least 10 authentic Japanese drum teams rocking the roads. I can't imagine how many times I bowed my head and said arigato. It was awesome.

The day started off pleasant but then as it does often here the weather changed and it got real windy and drizzly. I was rolling it out for a while there then I hit the point were my body said "Hey, remember how little you trained for this?" I replied "eff off" and my body replied with a doozy of a cramp in my leg. Figures that after 18 miles I cramp on the only section of the course that runs through an American Air Force Base. I stretched for a couple of minutes then hit it again, a bit slower but I kept moving. A couple of times the cramp tried to come back but I fought it off and headed in.

2 of the last 3K is on this insane downhill. That was painful. I need to learn some Japanese curse words because I know the guys around me were chucking them around like no body's business. Turned back into the park heard my wife "woo" saw my kids smiling and yelling "daddy" and I crossed the mat. They took my chip then immediately printed off my finishers certificate, gave me a cool medal and sent me off. There were huge concessions getting ready to throw one mean party but I had to roll. I didn't even have time to stop by the free acupuncture tent....next time.
What would you do differently?:

Uh? Move here earlier and hit the hills? Use my fuel belt water is good but my body is use to a bit more in between water stops.
Post race
Warm down:

Checked out a few things then hit the bricks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Didn't train enough on hills

Event comments:

I'll be ready for the hills next year. Count on it.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-01-11 12:00 AM
Running
03:52:31 | 26.2 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/9010
Performance: Average
Course: One loop. Started out flat as a pancake then we hit the hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-02-28 3:11 AM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Subject: Okinawa Marathon

2009-02-28 7:32 AM
in reply to: #1987274

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Okinawa Marathon

Awesome!  Congrats on the finish in an amazing race!

I just applied for a few positions as an architect for the US government in Japan, would be fun to run in that kind of event!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Okinawa Marathon Rss Feed