General Discussion Triathlon Talk » half IM reality check Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-27 12:24 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: half IM reality check
Im signed up to do my first half IM this June in New Hampshire. Im soo excited and fairly confident that I will finish, which is probabally a bad thing. I haven't really worried about the length of the race or how hart it will be. Reading all of these forums is making me wonder if I should be worrying more, its just that nothing seems real. I would love to hear your experience of your first half IM or IM to see if things will set it! What happened that you didn't expect? What would you do differently in your training etc.... Thanks so much. Hopefully this works

2005-03-27 6:02 AM
in reply to: #134499

Online or Offline
Subject: RE: half IM reality check

Sounds like Mooseman that you are doing in June.

I don't think that feeling confident that you'll finish is a BAD thing UNLESS you haven't been training. I've been putting in a good effort trying to maintain whatever training plan I can, as life permits, and am confident I'll finish; but not first in my AG. I did that course last year when EndorFun ran an Olympic on it, and the only thing that surprised me was how trashed my legs were after climbing a hill on Mile 5 when I thought I had trained "enough" for rolling hills.......

There are some very interesting Race Reports in the forum section about first timer 1/2 iron competitors - using the search function would definitely give you plenty to read!

2005-03-27 8:50 AM

Champion
I did the Timberman in NH last August. Coming from a biking background, I had no trouble with that part. The trouble is, I went pretty hard on the bike, passing a lot of other people, finishing the 56 miles in 2:45. I should have saved more energy for the run (and done more run training). I ran the first 6 miles, then did a run/walk routine for a rather slow 2:35 half marathon. But I had no doubt that I would finish. Once you get to the 1/2 IM and full IM distances, it's all about pacing and keeping up your hydration and nutrition. Those things will knock you out faster than anything.

2005-03-27 10:46 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
Here is my first 1/2 IM:

http://tinyurl.com/6wcqb

As you can tell, I just finished it last week. I think outside of my injury, I was ready for it. I learned quite a bit. There was never a doubt about finishing, but I had a time goal that I wanted to meet (6 hours) that I missed. I think if you have an semi-agressive time goal and train to meet that goal, then simply finishing shouldn't be a problem.
2005-03-28 12:47 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
I'm on the same timeline and sometimes feel the same way. My first 1/2IM is in TX in June.
I looked at your logs, and you have obviously been training. (by the way, that's REAL!!!)
When I read "nothing seems real" I hope you have some shorter races before the 1/2IM. If you have forgotten to prep for transition or nutrition, etc, hopefully a short race will connect you and make it real. Then you'll be focused for the big race. At least plan some bricks to simulate race day.
I'm banking on long, hot bricks and a few training races to bring it all together.
Best of Luck
2005-04-07 8:46 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I did my first 1/2 IM last year.  It was also my first triathlon!  The Buffalo Springs Lake 1/2 IM.  I was horribly undertrained due to work commitments.  Before the race, I had not run the full 13.1 miles at a shot (my current long run was 9), I had not biked the full 56 miles that season (maxed out at 40 and had only been riding once a week), and while I did 2000yd swim workouts, I had never swam a 1.2 continuous and never in open water.  Never mind attempting all three in one day!

I survived.  It took me 7 hours, but I survived.  And had an AWESOME time!  So much so that I'm going back this year...hopefully properly trained!  The only thing 'unexpected' that happened to me, was that when I pulled into T2 on my bike...the dude in the next row was dismantling his transition area with a big medal around his neck.

As for things I would do differently in my training...uh...actually train?  Yeah, that's it.  While proving that a solid endurance background (I've been doing mary's for many years, and had been riding centuries for a couple) will get you through the day, I now have the itch to do better instead of just finish.  I would also do at least one other tri first as 'practice'.

I could go on forever...but all I'll say, is for your first 1/2, just have a goal of finishing.  Do some shorter races to figure out what triathlon is all about, and have fun in the 1/2 IM.  :-)

2005-04-08 1:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis, MO
After doing two 1/2 IMs last year my biggest advice would be twofold:

1) Take Care of your nutrition on the bike. This means calories, fluids and electrolytes. Practice these NOW! After your long rides, do some short (3-5 mile) brick runs to evaluate how much you have "reserved" fuel wise. Then ask yourself how much nutrition you took in? Was it enough? Too much? Learn this now. A great bike ride won't mean squat if you can't run effectively afterwards...

2) Hold back on the first 1/3 to 1/2 on the bike! Gaining 4-5 minutes by going harder on the bike could mean the difference between running the entire 1/2 marathon and walking most of it! You will be shocked how many folks you will pass in miles 10-13 on the run if you have managed your bike ride correctly and are able to "run" the entire 1/2 regardless of pace.

My .02,
Paul
2005-04-09 8:13 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Second what Paul said.  I only have one 1/2 IM under my belt, but I didn't practice correct nutrition NEARLY enough.  Practice taking in nutrition during intense workouts too, not just the easy ones.  I found that what my stomach will tolerate on an easy to moderate club ride and what my stomach will take during a race are two VERY different things.

OH, KNOW YOUR COURSE!  I actually did a 15.5 mile half-marathon on mine because a volunteer directed me to go the wrong way.  Because I hadn't really studied the course I didn't have the confidence to ignore her.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » half IM reality check Rss Feed