Tri Events
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We only had 5 hours of sleep - we went to Star Anise last night for dinner to celebrate my brother finishing his chef apprenticeship, and it ran waaay later than expected, we started eating at 6.30pm and finished at 11.30pm holy carp!

We were up at 5am in order to catch the free train down to Kwinana Train Station. We live very close to Greenwood Train station and I am glad we were able to get on there, because on the Esplanade and Bullcreek stations there were very few people that could squeeze on.
Event warmup:

Erm ... more like trying not to turn into an icicle. Holy carp it was FREEZING this morning before the sun came up. There was steam coming out of my mouth and all I was wearing was my sleeveless tri suit and some arm warmers. It was torture standing there waiting 30-40 mins for the race to start. When the race started it took about 15-20 mins of cycling before I was warm!
Bike
  • 1h 43m
  • 60 kms
  • 34.95 km/hr
Comments:

This was not a timed race, I timed myself. I am sooo pleased with my time, it blew all my expectations out of thw water! I have NEVER ridden this fast.

My original plan was to maintain just over 30khr but since I am currently really unwell I honestly didn't think I could do it and I just wanted to finish, no matter how long it took. But I far exceeded my own expectations! I won't deny that a lot of it was thanks to drafting so I know I won't be able to go this fast in HIM! I got caught up in a big pack about 10k outside of the Kwinana train station and hung on for about 20k. Then I got dropped coming over the Narrows - I just started getting really tired. In the pack I was maintaining 34-38k/hr and when I got dropped I was doing 30-32khr on my own. After about 10k of this another pack came up behind me and I jumped onto the back of them and managed to hang on until the end, immediately my speed jumped up again! Yay for packs.

There were quite a few falls on the ride today. Near Joondalup there was a guy lying on a spinal board with an ambulance tending to him. I hope he's OK.
What would you do differently?:

Erm ... not get a cold??? LOL
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a banana and had a coffee, milled around chatting to friends and enjoying the warm sun. Then rode home very slowly with a very painful throat and now I am off to bed to try to recover.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Illness.

Event comments:

I. LOVE. TO. RIDE. MY. BICYCLE!!!!!!!!!!

Last updated: 2009-03-05 12:00 AM
Biking
01:43:00 | 60 kms | 34.95 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Undulating, non stop freeway. Lovely maintained road surface.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-03-22 1:18 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: Freeway Bike Hike - 60km

2009-03-22 7:07 AM
in reply to: #2032590

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Subject: RE: Freeway Bike Hike - 60km

Hi Magda  

I always look forward to reading your race reports, this one was great too.  I had brunch with friends who'd done the cycle and they had a fantastic morning.  Your time was amazing but what came through was your total enjoyment.  I'm sure that will carry you on to do great things at the HIM in May.  Hope your throat gets better soon.

2009-03-22 8:41 PM

User image

Perth, WA

That is an AWESOME result! Well done!

This hopefully will be a mental boost for you, 5 weeks out from Busselton.

Great Ride!

Edited by Try-Athlete 2009-03-22 8:41 PM
2009-03-22 9:50 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney
This sounds like so much fun!!!
2009-03-23 12:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Woo hoo! That's a freakin' fast time. Good job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Freeway Bike Hike - 60km Rss Feed