Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Sunday discussion - "NASA: What's the point?" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-03-29 11:12 AM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
Subject: Sunday discussion - "NASA: What's the point?"

Seriously, what's the point of spending billions for a space station?  If I use the same logic, perhaps I should forego my mortgage payment in lieu of a new Cervelo.

Discuss....

2009-03-29 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2046942

User image

Pro
Eureka, Ca
Subject: RE: Sunday discussion - "NASA: What's the point?"
Big Mac - 2009-03-29 9:12 AM

Seriously, what's the point of spending billions for a space station?  If I use the same logic, perhaps I should forego my mortgage payment in lieu of a new Cervelo.

Discuss....

Space exploration technology is now used in common everyday devices that makes your life easier... that little ipod you so luv? would be so little with out technology developed from the space programs..

2009-03-29 12:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
I dont know it is a little silly. I think the research could still be there with out the actual space travel. We could still get the cool things but with less money spent.
2009-03-29 12:09 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-03-29 12:23 PM

Extreme Veteran
I think that NASA should be completely dismantled, and space ought to be privatized. With competition in space exploration/technology, a lot more could get done without wasting tax dollars. Besides, it would be more efficient with a lot less red tape and bureaucracy. Finally, there is no Constitutional authorization for NASA to exist.
2009-03-29 2:00 PM

Expert
Woodland, California

NASA is certainly the most visible of entities involved in spaceflight, but that's because of the manned missions.  NASA is involved in a lot more than that.  One thing that pops into mind is that NASA provides spacecraft for NOAA - forecasting and study of weather, and search and rescue.

Also keep in mind that there are a lot of private entities involved in space flight.  Launch vehicles (rockets) provided by these companies launch most satellites into space, including those made by NASA as well as military and communication satellites.

2009-03-29 2:07 PM

Master
Highlands Ranch
NASA gave us Tang, velcro, and the transistor to name just a few trickle-down technologies we now coinsider indespensible for everyday life.  Assuming that new Cervelo you'll be picking up is carbon fibre, that'd be another...
2009-03-29 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2047001

Pro
Texas
AcesFull - 2009-03-29 12:09 PM

In general, I'm a big science guy, who is very pro-space, pro-NASA.  Not sure that space exploration is really giving us bang for our buck right now. 

Let's see how well you do your job when you're having to do the same work you did 20 years ago but with 1/10th the budget. NASA's been underfunded for years & years now, and their quality is remarkable given the constraints they work under.
2009-03-29 2:12 PM

Veteran

Space exploration is an awesome activity for our science dollars.

Manned space is not exploration any more.  It's a collosal waste of resources that could be far better spent on other activities that would have the potential to let us explore the solar system.

2009-03-29 2:22 PM

Pro
St Charles, IL

Satellite communications.

GPS.

Weather sats to monitor those pesky hurricanes.

Fire resistant fabrics that protect firefighters and rescue workers.

The speedo LZR (bet you didn't know that one).

Lithium battery technologies.

Aerodynamic research which heavily influenced 18 wheeler truck designs.

Polymer coatings on implantable medical devices.

Software originally used to interpret satellite imagery is being used for noninvasive ultrasound heart monitors.

2009-03-29 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2047014

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

SrA_Rugenstein - 2009-03-29 1:23 PM I think that NASA should be completely dismantled, and space ought to be privatized. With competition in space exploration/technology, a lot more could get done without wasting tax dollars. Besides, it would be more efficient with a lot less red tape and bureaucracy. Finally, there is no Constitutional authorization for NASA to exist.

Yes, let's privatize it.  With all the business money that's running our economy.  Just like we should have privatized social security.  There is no constitutional authorization for that either.  Besides, if we get rid of NASA, then the Chinese, the Indians, and the Europeans can take over in space.

Why do you hate America?

2009-03-29 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2047167

Extreme Veteran
coredump - 2009-03-29 2:22 PM

GPS.

Software originally used to interpret satellite imagery is being used for noninvasive ultrasound heart monitors.

All of those technologies would have been discovered faster and without wasted tax dollars all the same if space exploration and research was private. Private companies would easily have made the same discoveries, and maybe even would be able to make even more discoveries. There is still no Constitutional authorization for NASA. 

And Velcro was discovered well before NASA, so I do not even know where that discovery comes into play. NASA just happened to use it more when it came out. A private space exploration company would have done the same, only without  wasted tax dollars.

2009-03-29 4:11 PM
in reply to: #2047271

Extreme Veteran
gearboy - 2009-03-29 3:55 PM

SrA_Rugenstein - 2009-03-29 1:23 PM I think that NASA should be completely dismantled, and space ought to be privatized. With competition in space exploration/technology, a lot more could get done without wasting tax dollars. Besides, it would be more efficient with a lot less red tape and bureaucracy. Finally, there is no Constitutional authorization for NASA to exist.

Yes, let's privatize it.  With all the business money that's running our economy.  Just like we should have privatized social security.  There is no constitutional authorization for that either.  Besides, if we get rid of NASA, then the Chinese, the Indians, and the Europeans can take over in space.

Why do you hate America?

Social Security ought to have never existed, and it is unconstitutional. It is ridiculous and immoral that I have to pay into a ponzi scheme like Social Security. It is more immoral that even the terminally ill are forced with a gun to pay into Social Security, though they will never see the benefit.

There would be plenty of business money in the economy if the government did not absorb so much GDP with taxation and unconstitutional spending programs. If the Federal Reserve system did not exist, we would have an honest, sound money system which would not have these huge housing and bond bubbles that we have to deal with because of them; and the Federal Reserve is also unconstitutional. 

So it seems like if the government just obeyed the Constitution, we would be doing very well right now. I don't hate America, just 90% of the government. Ironic, because being in the military, I am part of the government. Ponder that...

2009-03-29 4:33 PM
in reply to: #2047279

Pro
St Charles, IL
SrA_Rugenstein - 2009-03-29 4:04 PM

GPS.

All of those technologies would have been discovered faster and without wasted tax dollars all the same if space exploration and research was private. Private companies would easily have made the same discoveries, and maybe even would be able to make even more discoveries. There is still no Constitutional authorization for NASA.

If private companies could do it faster, why didn't they?  It's not like NASA is going around shutting down private R&D.

There's no FAA or FCC in the Constitution either.  Should we get rid of those?

If you want to talk about wastes of money, let's talk about the F-22. 

2009-03-29 4:37 PM
in reply to: #2047296

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Spokes 2009-03-29 4:56 PM
2009-03-29 4:55 PM
in reply to: #2047317

Extreme Veteran
Spokes - 2009-03-29 4:37 PM
SrA_Rugenstein - 2009-03-29 2:11 PM
gearboy - 2009-03-29 3:55 PM

Why do you hate America?

Social Security ought to have never existed, and it is unconstitutional. It is ridiculous and immoral that I have to pay into a ponzi scheme like Social Security. It is more immoral that even the terminally ill are forced with a gun to pay into Social Security, though they will never see the benefit.

There would be plenty of business money in the economy if the government did not absorb so much GDP with taxation and unconstitutional spending programs. If the Federal Reserve system did not exist, we would have an honest, sound money system which would not have these huge housing and bond bubbles that we have to deal with because of them; and the Federal Reserve is also unconstitutional. 

So it seems like if the government just obeyed the Constitution, we would be doing very well right now. I don't hate America, just 90% of the government. Ironic, because being in the military, I am part of the government. Ponder that...

I don't believe in cradle to grave gov't either, but I'm assuming then you're OK with the current Wall Street/Bank Mess too?

What happens to the military when the economy collapses to the point there's no money to fund it?

Do you honestly think most Americans today would willingly participate in a draft to cut gov't costs... or would even contribute the billions that are wasted in military procurement/cost overruns annually? I think not. The Soviet threat was overstated, the Chinese 'threat' is being overstated, the North Korean threat is being overstated... the military/industrial complex has a vested interest in portraying a much meaner world than what actually exists, IMHO. When they started dismantling the Russian missile silos, they found many that would've never launched because the silos were literally falling apart.

That doesn't mean that there aren't legitimate threats to national security, because I think most people would certainly agree that there are. But maintaing a military that is designed to fight a World War II scenario, rather than LIC, is hideously expensive, and as demonstrated in Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Lebanon simply ends up with our soldiers being killed for nothing. You can't arbitrate a civil war between clans by trying to police.

As a matter of fact, I believe that a much better application of our military would be to clean up the streets of places like Oakland, to enforce a much higher level of airport security than Homeland Security... I felt a lot better after 9/11 when we had fully armed soldiers in balaclavas and BDUs patrolling the airports, as is the case in Europe. Even the most vehement terrorist ain't going to get far past someone properly armed with an assault rifle.

And look at the drug problem in Mexico as well as elsewhere in our country. That's a much bigger threat to our national security than secular/religious wars in the Middle East, where the only reason we are there is oil. Why aren't we invading Mexico, Columbia, et. al and removing the drugloads and destroying their supply lines... ?

All of this takes money. Where are you going to get it? All of this takes people... where are you going to get it?

Should we simply put people when they are old on an ice floe and let them die? Should we not educate children? Should we let the richest rich and corporations dictate how people will live - example, tobacco industry, which has created an enormous amount of damage to America?

If you are so unhappy being associated with the US gov't, honest question... why do you continue to work for it? If everything is unconstitutional, as the way its been interpreted by all three branches of gov't, we're in a heap of trouble.

You were almost preachin to the choir with that post. I am a Libertarian, and a huge Ron Paul supporter. I oppose our troops being in 130 other countries, dying for the defense of other nations. The US Government's foreign policy is unconstitutional.

I am also a big proponent of personal responsibility and voting with your dollar. The economy is only in a mess for Keynesian economists, but in the Austrian school, this is the solution to years of artificially low interest rates brought by the Federal Reserve.

You ask what happens to the military when money runs out, and it is a good point. One of two things will happen. The government will go fascist and force people into the military without pay and force companies to give the government supplies and weapons, or the military will "revolt" and the American government will collapse because of a lack of ability to enforce laws, thus allowing for some other stronger nation to take over, or for freedom loving Americans to form a new government.

I disagree that the military should applied at home in the manners you suggest. If pilots were armed, 9-11 probably could have been prevented, and if airports had private security, like many other nation's airports have, security would be better and more efficient.

You also ask what should happen to the old and young, and while your examples are extreme, I understand. But this is an easy answer: family members take care of each other. When Mom and Dad get old, they are taken care of by their children.  Then parents take care of their children, educating them through home school, or by sending them to a school of their choosing (if America was the way I would like to see it, rather than the government ran, propaganda filled, failing school system we currently have).

Finally, you ask why I continue to work for the Government if I hate it so much. This may seem like a poor answer, but it is simply because I signed a contract to serve it for 6 years when I was younger and ignorant, right out of high school. Now that I am almost half-way through my enlistment, I will put up with it because I'd rather not go to jail, and I can take advantage of the money I get paid and go to college part time for almost free.

We are in a heap of trouble, and most people do not know how bad it will get. The dollar will collapse at the rate things are going, hyperinflation is in store for this nation, and things probably get as bad as pre-WWII Germany. Let's hope that basic mathematics are wrong, and that I am wrong as well. 

2009-03-29 5:01 PM
in reply to: #2047167

Pro
MAC-opolis
coredump - 2009-03-29 3:22 PM

GPS.

And all of these are related to space exploration how?  I would guess that at some point, all of these products would have been developed minus NASA.  My question is: what's the point of a "space station".  It will be used for.............?  The ROI for the tax payer is............?

2009-03-29 5:02 PM
in reply to: #2047314

Extreme Veteran
coredump - 2009-03-29 4:33 PM
SrA_Rugenstein - 2009-03-29 4:04 PM

GPS.

If private companies could do it faster, why didn't they?  It's not like NASA is going around shutting down private R&D.

There's no FAA or FCC in the Constitution either.  Should we get rid of those?

If you want to talk about wastes of money, let's talk about the F-22. 

No, NASA does not directly shut down R & D, but because money in the economy that could be used by private companies is soaked up by NASA, private sector progress is hampered. If the money that NASA gets through taxes was instead money that private companies had, there would be more investment money available for private space exploration and research.

We should get rid of both the FAA and FCC. Many other nations have privatized versions of the FAA, and private companies could provide far better airport security. The FCC is ridiculous in the fact that someone thinks it exist, as it is almost like "prior restraint" on journalism and has the ability to censor as it pleases.

We can talk about the F-22, I know a little bit about that, being a weather forecaster in the Air Force. Yeah, it is a big waste of money. They try to upgrade the aging Air Force fleet, but there is no money in the budget for it because of insane no-win wars all over the world that America can no longer afford. I cannot wait for the American Empire to shrink back, realizing that people like Ron Paul and the Founding Fathers were right all along.

2009-03-29 5:33 PM

Houston
Blind support of private industry is just as ignorant as blind support of government. You need a balance and there are simply some things that government can facilitate that private enterprise cannot. We would not have gone into space when we did if we left space to private enterprise. It is pretty debatable what level we would be at now if the government had not chosen to do so or if we would have been exploring it yet at all.

I suppose all you people saying we shouldn't invest in space exploration also think the government shouldn't give grants for cancer research? What about AIDS?

Edited by pengy 2009-03-29 5:34 PM
2009-03-29 5:55 PM
in reply to: #2047368

Master
Portland, ME

pengy - 2009-03-29 5:33 PM Blind support of private industry is just as ignorant as blind support of government. You need a balance and there are simply some things that government can facilitate that private enterprise cannot. We would not have gone into space when we did if we left space to private enterprise. It is pretty debatable what level we would be at now if the government had not chosen to do so or if we would have been exploring it yet at all. I suppose all you people saying we shouldn't invest in space exploration also think the government shouldn't give grants for cancer research? What about AIDS?

If you are saying that the government shouldn't be in the business of choosing who lives and who dies, I would agree with that.

Are you sure about your statement the NASA was the fastest way to space? What other government own program has done things better, quicker, and more effectively that the competitive market?

It was Charles Limburgh and not the Air Force who flew across the Atlantic to claim his $25,000 prize.

According to a book I read recently, NASA is spending $450 Billion over the next 20 years getting to Mars. Why not offer a prize of $10 billion for the first company to put a lunar base on Mars and $20 billion for the first company to get to Mars and back? I bet the winning company will get there quicker than Nasa at a huge savings to the $450 Billion the government plans to spend.

Edited by Jackemy 2009-03-29 5:57 PM
2009-03-29 6:03 PM
in reply to: #2047394

Extreme Veteran
Jackemy - 2009-03-29 5:55 PM

pengy - 2009-03-29 5:33 PM Blind support of private industry is just as ignorant as blind support of government. You need a balance and there are simply some things that government can facilitate that private enterprise cannot. We would not have gone into space when we did if we left space to private enterprise. It is pretty debatable what level we would be at now if the government had not chosen to do so or if we would have been exploring it yet at all. I suppose all you people saying we shouldn't invest in space exploration also think the government shouldn't give grants for cancer research? What about AIDS?

If you are saying that the government shouldn't be in the business of choosing who lives and who dies, I would agree with that.

Are you sure about your statement the NASA was the fastest way to space? What other government own program has done things better, quicker, and more effectively that the competitive market?

It was Charles Limburgh and not the Air Force who flew across the Atlantic to claim his $25,000 prize.

According to a book I read recently, NASA is spending $450 Billion over the next 20 years getting to Mars. Why not offer a prize of $10 billion for the first company to put a lunar base on Mars and $20 billion for the first company to get to Mars and back? I bet the winning company will get there quicker than Nasa at a huge savings to the $450 Billion the government plans to spend.

Nice post Jackemy. It reminds me of the Human Genome Project, as an example of how private industry is better than government bureaucracy.

2009-03-29 6:13 PM
in reply to: #2047394

Houston

I don't argue that private enterprise most often does things better than government. But I think it is pretty safe to say though that in the 1950's there were not a whole lot of private companies experimenting in rocketry if it wasn't for the government.

What I argue for is continued support of private enterprise into space, but that doesn't negate NASA; I think it means NASA's role needs to be refined. The government will always have an interest in space and you cannot expect the U.S. to completely ignore it while most other countries are striving to enter and surpass the U.S.
2009-03-29 6:16 PM
in reply to: #2047403

Houston
SrA_Rugenstein - 2009-03-29 6:03 PM

Nice post Jackemy. It reminds me of the Human Genome Project, as an example of how private industry is better than government bureaucracy.

How is that a good point? The human genome project and what he proposed do not compare.

X-Prize money is privately funded. No company is going to fund $10B or $20 for other companies to go to Mars. That kind of money can only come from...

drum roll please...

The government.
2009-03-29 6:25 PM
in reply to: #2047413

Extreme Veteran
pengy - 2009-03-29 6:16 PM

How is that a good point? The human genome project and what he proposed do not compare. X-Prize money is privately funded. No company is going to fund $10B or $20 for other companies to go to Mars. That kind of money can only come from... drum roll please... The government.

How does it not compare? The HGP was government funded, yet was surpassed by Celera Genomics, a private industry. This was with literally 1/10 of the budget, and all money Celera used was private funds, not money taken from taxpayers by the barrel of a gun. It is a great example of how private industry trumps government.

Companies would front that much money, if there was profit involved. This is where the controversy between private research vs. government research comes into play. Private industry usually will only work for a profit, which is fine. Government "tries" to do research to "benefit all people." Though government ran programs are generally clumsy and have a lot of bureaucrats getting paid to do nothing other than create more red tape, which inhibits progress.

2009-03-29 6:34 PM
in reply to: #2047422

Houston
SrA_Rugenstein - 2009-03-29 6:25 PM

pengy - 2009-03-29 6:16 PM

How is that a good point? The human genome project and what he proposed do not compare. X-Prize money is privately funded. No company is going to fund $10B or $20 for other companies to go to Mars. That kind of money can only come from... drum roll please... The government.

How does it not compare? The HGP was government funded, yet was surpassed by Celera Genomics, a private industry. This was with literally 1/10 of the budget, and all money Celera used was private funds, not money taken from taxpayers by the barrel of a gun. It is a great example of how private industry trumps government.

Companies would front that much money, if there was profit involved. This is where the controversy between private research vs. government research comes into play. Private industry usually will only work for a profit, which is fine. Government "tries" to do research to "benefit all people." Though government ran programs are generally clumsy and have a lot of bureaucrats getting paid to do nothing other than create more red tape, which inhibits progress.

• .. you just disproved your point. A privately funded company, Celera, with only a $300M budget lost out to a government funded project with a $3B budget.

• You do realize that NASA doesn't actually create all the things it shoots into space right? Private companies like Boeing, Lockheed Martin, etc make bids and NASA chooses the least expensive. Hence Alan Shepard's famous quote: "It's a very sobering feeling to be up in space and realize that one's safety factor was determined by the lowest bidder on a government contract."
    New Thread
    Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Sunday discussion - "NASA: What's the point?" Rss Feed  

of 3