Ocean Drive Run Club
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 16m 56s
Overall Rank = 214/429
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 59/83
Pre-race routine:

This is a point-to-point marathon run from Cape May, NJ to Sea Isle City, NJ. It's a small marathon and very scenic.
http://www.odmarathon.com

I stayed in Sea Isle. Woke up at 6am. Caught the shuttle to Cape May and hung out a hotel lobby until 8:45am. Race started promptly at 9am. I was supposed to run with a friend, but she had to bail because of an illness so I was on my own for this event.
Event warmup:

Stretching. Nutrition was good.
Run
  • 4h 16m 56s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to finish under 4:15:00.
My first half split was 2:02:30 and I felt great, so I had visions of finishing around 4:05. The first 15 miles of the course was overcast, cool and breezy. Somewhere around 16 miles the sun came out and things warmed up quickly. I hit the wall around mile 20. I never stopped but my pass slowed considerably. 2nd half split 2:14:26.
What would you do differently?:

Start out a little slower. I may have done better if I kept my 9:30 pace. I got too anxious to finish faster and, in the end, I probably lost time.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching & walking. Went to the food tent, grabed some chicken brooth and my bag and went back to the house for a shower. I probably only hung around the post-race activities for ~ 10 mins. For some reason I just wanted to get home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I may have done better if I kept my 9:30 pace. I got too anxious to finish faster and, in the end, I probably lost time.

Event comments:

The race was organized. This was a small event so it lacks the crowd support and 'glamour' of the larger marathons. I was running by myself most of the time.

Last updated: 2008-12-15 12:00 AM
Running
04:16:56 | 26.2 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 59/83
Overall: 83/429
Performance: Average
There is no chip timing on this course so this was the clock time, however I was only 15-20 secs back of the clock. There were about 1000 people who started (about half for the marathon & half for the 10 miler).
Course: Large Mile Markers at every mile. Digital Clocks at Mile 1, every 5th Mile, the Half-Marathon mark, and the Finish. Roving medics throughout the ODM course. Aid Stations were at intervals within 2.5 miles of each other with water throughout. Gatorade from Mile 11 onward. Fruit (cut oranges and bananas) from Mile 15.8 onward, and, energy gel at Mile 14.1 & Mile 21. Port-o-pots were located at the Start, every other Aid Station, and, at the Finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes