United States
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 29m 46s
Overall Rank = 51/71
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/15
Pre-race routine:

Being from out of town, I flew into Las Vegas the day before (leaving behind some pretty horrible weather), and went straight to my favorite massage place for an awesome 2 hour massage that really loosened up several weeks worth of workout soreness. Had a sushi dinner with my uncle, and got about ten hours of sleep.
Because this was an afternoon race, I got to sleep in and then have a great pancake breakfast with my in-laws. Then went to the bike shop where I rented the road bike I would use for the race. They put on my pedals for me, and I went back to my in-law's to figure out the shifting process (I'd never ridden a road bike before), and finish packing my tri bag before leaving for the race. My uncle, Sammy, drove me there, we found check-in, then set up transition and waited.
Oh, the other benefit of an afternoon race is being sure to use the bathroom for a BM prior to the race...there was plenty of time for that.
Event warmup:

Usual stretching and such while sipping a Gatorade for the last hour prior to race start. My coach, Brett, suggested I warm up jogging the last mile of the run, so I did a quick out and back to get my bearings for that final stretch.
Once the wetsuit was on I decided to jump in the water for a quick stroke warmup. It was very quick because the water was 62 degrees and I decided to wait for the race, so I got out and waited the final few minutes for our International distance wave to go off (we were first to go at 3:30 pm).
Swim
  • 18m 45s
  • 1200 meters
  • 01m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

My first couple hundred meters to the first buoy were good. I kept up with the top 3 or 4 guys up to there, then as we rounded the first buoy, I did the breast stroke to sight well and not get kicked. Then to my dismay, I felt a rush of water into the back of my wetsuit, and I felt as if someone were holding me still. It has never done this to me, but maybe with all my hard training and weight loss, some extra room in the suit has appeared.
Well, to make a long story short, the rest of my swim was a lesson in just trying to survive and get it over with. Every stroke felt like I was pulling an ox through the water. Very disappointing for how much time I've been putting in at the pool. I eventually got to the dock, and found even getting up the ladder was tough with all that extra water weight. It felt good to be on my feet.
Oh, and did everyone see that the water temp was 62 freaking degrees. I always wondered what the temp of my ice cold diet cokes are I get out at restaurants. Well, I think they are 62 degrees. It was COLD! It was weird swimming with completely numb hands and feet. But everyone had to swim in the same water, so I'll quit complaining now. But one last time...IT WAS COLD!
What would you do differently?:

Make sure my wetsuit is tighter to avoid this horrendous event from happening again.
Transition 1
  • 05m 13s
Comments:

T1 time started right at the dock, then we had a long run up a hill onto the pedestrian bridge where transition was. I did go a bit slowly on the run until my feet warmed up, but most of my time was wasted getting my wetsuit off. This was terrible. I almost fell over twice before I decided to just sit down to pull it off. After that helmet and shades went on, and I was off.

Sit down immediately to pull the wetsuit off my legs instead of trying to do it standing up.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 47s
  • 20 miles
  • 16.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Hills, hills, and hills. This wouldn't have been bad with my own tri bike, but a rented road bike that wouldn't stay in the top two or bottom two gears of the cassette made for a tougher time than it should have been. It made me have to climb most of the hills out of the saddle just to get enough power to move forward.
But the scenery was beautiful, and the motorists were courteous to the racers.

Have the bike shop check the gear shifting prior to leaving the shop.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Pretty standard routine for me in T2.

Nothing
Run
  • 49m 50s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

With my trials during the swim and bike, I couldn't wait to get to the run course. And it showed. All of my training with Brett's plan seemed to pay off as I've never ever run a pace like this during a race before...especially on a course with such strange terrain and elevation changes.
I hydrated well, and just flat out enjoyed this run, period.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, bagel, walk around to cool down. It was weird to race in the desert, because the dry air caused my sweat to evaporate so quickly it left lots of white salt lines on my face and tri suit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Equipment problems...but that comes with racing this sport. At least none of it was so bad to cause a DNF, so I am thankful for that.

Event comments:

I'm not from the area so I don't know about their other races, but this one was fun and organized. Plus props to Dom and Keith for handling some issues I needed because of being from out of town. They were very nice to me with all of my requests.

Last updated: 2009-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:45 | 1200 meters | 01m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 0/71
Performance: Below average
Suit: Quintana Roo HydroFull
Course: After a tread water mass start, we headed straight out to the first buoy about 200 yards away, then a 90 degree right for the long out and back part, finishing back at the boat dock. Two rickety ladders were all we had to get out of the water.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:13
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:14:47 | 20 miles | 16.05 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: A couple miles inside of Lake Las Vegas Resort, then a left hand turn on Lake Mead Pkwy down to Lake Mead Park. Straight out and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:50 | 06.2 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back, with the first 1.5 miles on the roads of LLV Resort, and the other 3.2 miles on a packed dirt and gravel area of trails, hills and valleys. It looked exactly like the landscape of Mars you see in pictures.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-03-30 9:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Subject: Showdown at Sundown

2009-03-31 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2049963

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Showdown at Sundown

Ah!  I have a witness to the hills!  This is all I get to race on, so I often wondered why I was so slow compaired to people on the east coast!  16mph is a solid pace for this course (at least for me).

Good job on the race.  I'm glad you liked it...

Edited by Aikidoman 2009-03-31 10:52 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Showdown at Sundown Rss Feed