General Discussion Race Reports! » Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run - Run10 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Washington, Washington, D.C.
United States
Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 28s
Overall Rank = 739/8288
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 265/2695
Pre-race routine:

woke up about three hours before the race. this ended up begin really good for me...more important than that is that it was about 1hr 15 min before we had to leave. that gave me plenty of time to drink some water as soon as i got up, grab a cup of coffee, and have plenty of time to use the bathroom. This is unlike my usual routine of waking up 30 minutes before i have to leave, throwing on clothes and running out the door. i will have to continue this in the future.

i did not eat at home because it was so far before the race. instead, i packed up a celery stalk w/ peanut butter and took it with me. i ate it when i got to the race site about 30 min before the start. this also worked out really well. i never felt hungry. we got to the race site with about 35 minutes to spare. the lines for the porta john were super long. we barely had enough time to get through the bathroom line, check our bag, and get to our corral. in the end it all worked out perfectly because there was no waiting around.
Event warmup:

....since we were running behind due to bathroom lines, there was no warm-up. i did pay for that with some very mild cramping early on.
Run
  • 1h 20m 28s
  • 10 miles
  • 08m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

lap times were as follows: 8:20, 8:08, 8:00, 8:10, 8:03, 8:19, 8:17, 7:10, 8:07, 7:49

we were both really surprised that our first mile was that fast, especially since we had to dodge ALOT of traffic. it felt good to start on a great mile though. second mile was even faster. ryan and i both agreed that we needed to slow down just to make sure we left enough in the tank to get home. clearly, that didn't work because our next mile was even faster still. i felt though whole time that i was "running within myself". i never felt out of control. i never felt like i was in too high a gear. i was always in that comfortable place that felt like it was sustainably fast. i am just really surprised it ended up being so fast. the funniest part is that we felt like we maintained a pretty consistent pace the whole time, but i have no idea where the 7:10 mile came from. i didn't believe it when i hit the lap timer. i thought i must have accidentally hit the lap button earlier on. strange boost of energy i guess.
this was a really great race for us. it was awesome that i felt like i ran my own race and ryan was able to keep right there. neither of us waited for the other, we were just perfectly matched today. it was really awesome being able to stay together. ryan was great too and gave me half his gu at mile 6. this, he says is why we were so fast the next mile. he tells me if he had not shared it, he would have been TWICE as fast.
the weather was literally perfect. there is nothing that could have possibly been any better to make this more perfect running weather.
What would you do differently?:

the ONLY thing i would have done any different it to look at the cherry blossoms more. i got to the end of the race and realized that i had been so focused that i forgot to take in the scenery.
Post race
Warm down:

met up with Jess from my BT mentor group!! it was so cool to meet in person. it felt like i was meeting someone i internet dated for a few months but just met for the first time :)
in terms of real cool down,...nothing, and i will pay for it. i am already feeling stiff. i need to take belle for a walk to work out the kinks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

i do think i lost some fitness in the last 3 weeks. between twisting my ankle and the workout blues, but i cannot be unsatisfied with anything today. this is a 8min 30 sec pr for me.

Event comments:

this was a really fun race. i would definitely do it again. what a nice way to ring in spring. there were NOT enough bathrooms, and the post race food was not in a good location. the whole post race scene was way too far spread out. otherwise, great event.

Last updated: 2009-02-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:20:28 | 10 miles | 08m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 265/2695
Overall: 2695/8288
Performance: Good
Course: awesome course. beautifully flat. it felt so nice after running all those crazy hills in reston. it was nice because we never run flat courses so i guess we totally underestimated our abilities on them. our best goal time going into this was 1:26. i would have been SUPER happy with that. i am in total shock with the 1:20
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-05 2:44 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run

2009-04-05 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2063887

Subject: RE: Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run

Nice job today, very speedy! I get up super-early before races too...it always seems to work well, gives your body time to take care of certain things, and enough time to warm up (usually).

2009-04-05 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2063898

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Great run, super fast!Laughing

2009-04-05 4:49 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC

Great run!!

2009-04-05 6:02 PM

User image

Expert
Bethesda, MD/Northern NJ

Great job today Lisa!! It was great to meet you, and you need to teach me how to run a 7:10 mile!!  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run Rss Feed