United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 23m 49s
Overall Rank = 49/184
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/19
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6am and had banana and clif bar with some gatorade... Got to race and registered, picked up bib and chip. Not a great pre-race meal night before and only about 4-5 hours sleep.
Event warmup:

Ran about 1/4 mile to warm-up... First 5k I've done so no real expectations.
Run
  • 23m 49s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I have not trained for speed in really long time. All endurance base runs etc so really did not know what to expect. Was just hoping for under 25 minutes. First mile was around 7:15 so knew I had paced that wrong. Must have slowed 2nd and 3rd mile, but did not look at watch. Had nice pace and felt good that person to my right had postive comment on form etc. She was good to chat with for a little while... Had no sprint to the line and no regrets. I have another 5k this weekend and then 2 tri's rest of month so know great reason to push it. Did race with friend James and was fun...
What would you do differently?:

Maybe train for speed work, but that was not my intention, just wanted to enjoy it and have good time for good cause... Could have shaved 30 seconds last 500 yards, eehhh...
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed bottle of water and saw James then walked the course to catch up with Erin who was walking for charity. Stayed for awards since he grabbed third in AG and then left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Tempo runs, intervals... Any type of training vs my base runs last few months. That and no need to push it really.

Event comments:

Would do again for Charity sake, hope they figure out better course though, especially the start...

Good time!

Last updated: 2009-04-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:49 | 03.1 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/19
Overall: 49/184
Performance: Average
Course: Crazy course that had you running on roads, paths etc. Very tight path at start that really bottle-necked everyone... Opened up after first 1/2 mile though. Many commented afterwards that course was about .20 mile long, but I wasn't going to be competitve so didn't care...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes