Set-up Inc
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 40m 59s
Overall Rank = 217/240
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Pre-race routine:

I had the traditional carb-load dinner of pasta with various sauces for dinner at 7:30 the night before. Didn't try to go to bed early since I figured I'd just lay there and worry. So, to bed about 11:00. Up at 6:30 and breakfast - the usual: lo carb yogurt, Uncle Sam's cereal, T-juice and coffee.
Quick shower to shave legs and pits before race. Dressed for race by 7:30.
Event warmup:

I didn't do a real warm-up. It was absolutely POURING rain when we set up transition area. Meant that I couldn't really set up properly. Paid for that later.

Lack of warm-up was an error for the pool.

Overall rank is compared to female entrants only.
Swim
  • 08m 24s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wasn't a stellar pool time. Just couldn't get my breathing. Got nervous right as I started and couldn't calm down.

Time finally came in. Better than I expected. I guess I was trying to swim too fast.
What would you do differently?:

Swim some slow warm-up laps
Transition 1
  • 05m 5s
Comments:

This transition went pretty well. I had a water bottle under my rain tarp. Used it to rinse the mud and leaves off my feet. Took my time to get shoes, gloves, and helmet on. Ran through the mud to the start.

Lay out transition. Even if it IS raining. Take a water proof tarp for both above and below.
Bike
  • 45m 28s
  • 20 kms
  • 26.39 km/hr
Comments:

I think this was my best segment. I kept gearing so that my cadence stayed up. I even passed a few people!

Interesting - this was my best relative time. Except in comparison to age group.

Just need to get stronger. Overall I'm pleased with performance on this segment.

Oh, and I need to learn how to stop gracefully. I had a hard time gracefully stopping at the transition point.
Transition 2
  • 03m 4s
Comments:

Forgot my race number. Again, hadn't laid out transition area because of the rain and just totally forgot. Brain dead.

LAY OUT TRANSITION!!!
Run
  • 39m
  • 5 kms
  • 07m 48s  min/km
Comments:

Wellll, it was more of a jog than a run, but I kept jogging except for the watering spots. Haven't figured out how to jog and drink. BUT I kept a good enough pace that I could pour it on for the last 100 yds and make a good looking finish!

Happier than I expected. Almost right on overall ranking.

Not sure. I think I just need to keep running more to build up speed and endurance.
Post race
Warm down:

I pushed it hard enough coming down the chute to the finish line that I really just needed to walk around and recover my breath.

The "three Margarets" that entered the race together celebrated together for a few minutes.

Husband and son brought me a chai and oat-nut scone from Starbuck's that felt good

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just flat endurance and ability to "pick 'em up and put 'em down"

Event comments:

It is a fun race and a good one for first timers. Flat course with plenty of shade.

My only disappointment is that the awards ceremony is on a cruise this evening limited to 200 people. I don't expect to get an award, but I would have enjoyed watching others recieve theirs.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-03-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:24 | 300 yards | 02m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 221/240
Performance: Bad
Actually not too bad a time for me. This includes a run down the stairs.
Suit: Danskin two piece tri outfit
Course: Pool swim. 12 laps of 25 yd pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder:
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:05
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:28 | 20 kms | 26.39 km/hr
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 205/240
Performance: Good
Had HR set to beep me if it went over 158 (90% of MHR). When I first went out and turned it on, it was beeping like crazy. Helped remind me to breath and relax a bit.
Wind: Some
Course: Flat, partly shaded. Around UNCW campus and surrounding neighborhoods. 2 10K loops. Considered a "technical" course. Lots of turns.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:04
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:39:00 | 05 kms | 07m 48s  min/km
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 218/240
Performance: Average
Again, kept the HR set to alarm me if I went over 158. Kept HR in the 150-155 range. This seemed to work well
Course: Out and back course on UNCW campus. Considered technical course. Lots of turns
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-04-02 2:24 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: Azalea Festival

2005-04-02 3:30 PM
in reply to: #137185

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: Azalea Festival
Margaret!  You had an awesome race!!  OMG I am so thrilled for you!  LOL  Now that the first-time jitters are over with, when are you racing again?   

Thanks for putting the pictures up too.  Y'all look like you had a blast!
2005-04-02 4:01 PM
in reply to: #137199

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Yep, I'm racing again. I figured if I could brave wind and rain it can't get any worse.

Next race will be end of June. Nothing between now and then fit my schedule and skill level

I'm pretty pleased overall.

I ended up running without socks because of the wet and mud. Probably was an error. I have HUGE blisters on both feet. Some popped and peeled during the run.

I was really pumped at the end. Rounded the corner into the "chute" and ran for all I was worth. Crowds cheered! Cameras flashed! She finishes looking like a stud (studette?).

Oh and I broke a nail - I'm devastated
2005-04-02 5:27 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
This is spectacular! Great job soldiering through the rain and mud! It's cool to see photos too, I always forget to post them. It'll be fun to see the splits. I love getting mine - it's the statistics geek in me.

How weird about the award cruise! Whether you're getting the hardware or seeing who got it, I thought the whole point was the whole crowd being there. Do only the top finishers get to go? How bizarre.
2005-04-02 5:34 PM
in reply to: #137228

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
I'm a serious geek as well. I'm vulturing the site in the hopes that they will post the splits tonight instead of tomorrow.

The awards cruise is even dumber than having only the winners...

Only the first 200 to sign up. Including family members. It was sold out within days of opening the sign-up. SO there are people who WON an award that won't be there to receive it. They will get it in the mail later. Really strange.

If they want to do a celebratory cruise, so be it. But I think they should do the awards at the event. Except for the rain, most everyone was still hanging around.
2005-04-02 8:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Congratulations on a great race!
Well done on sticking with it through the mud and rain - conditions can only get better for your next race!
Happy resting.
M

2005-04-04 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Congratulations Margaret!  Too bad that your first tri was dreadful conditions.  Sounds like you handled it all like a pro though!  Glad to see you had such a good bike.  I think that I would have been highly intimidated with the wet conditions, and a course with lots of turns.  Again, looks like you had no problems there!  Way to go!

I'm dragging my family down to do Kure Beach, so hope to see you there! 

2005-04-04 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL

You should be proud of completing the race in those conditions...great job & now on to the next tri!

2005-04-04 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Thanks for updating with splits and rankings. Looks like you did a terrific job, especially for your first time out, under suboptimal conditions. Lots of treats for you this week!
2005-04-04 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC
Great race in tough conditions! Now get dried off and enjoy your recovery week!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Azalea Festival Rss Feed