Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2009-04-28 11:17 AM
in reply to: #2115380

New user

Hull, MA
Subject: RE: Mango's Group - CLOSED
Yep,

I am new to this site, sport, and group.  I was thinking it wasn't real.

2009-04-28 2:01 PM
in reply to: #2115546

User image

Champion
Gold member
We should have some news soon as to the status of Mango.  If not Mango then I will be your mentor.  Hello, my name is Ron.

Let's at least get something going...

What is everyone's current training been like - maybe for the last week?  Have you been consistent?  I'm a big believer in the 80/20 rule...you are doing good if you can get 80% of your workouts in.

I assume everyone has a plan.  Who isn't on a plan an needs some direction picking one out? (Restate your races and dates)
2009-04-28 2:36 PM
in reply to: #2093570

Hey Ron,

Thank you for stepping in for the entire group. I'm taking on my very first Sprint Tri this weekend May 2nd, and I feel that my fitness level will allow me to finish without a problem. However, I am a little nervous about the entire start process, because I don't want to screw up even before I start the race.

I'm also thinking about signing up for a 5K Road Race May 16th, that I organized 2 years ago for my work, but was never able to run it.  Additionally, I'm thinking about signing up for another Sprint Tri at the end of the month.  I was wondering what your thoughts are?  My goal is just to finish the Tri's.

After this week, I plan on starting the Olympic 20 week 2x balance plan, hoping to try a race in the middle of September and would love any comments or suggestions.

I must tell you that I feel completely out of place, because I'm doing the race on a mountain bike with road tires.  My wife completely supports me but stated that I should train for a couple of month and then buy a Tri-bike.  Iplan on buying a wetsuit in a couple of weeks.

So any help with anything I mentioned would be greatly appreciated.  I JUST started placing my workouts online, being that I was just writing it down.

Again thanks for stepping in.

Little Nervous
Shawn

Edited by ootman 2009-04-28 2:39 PM
2009-04-28 3:10 PM

User image

Elite
Just an FYI...I did get an email from mango today.
2009-04-28 3:17 PM

User image

Boston, MA
Hey all!! Sorry about the late responses, I just got the E-mail today that I will be your mentor! I am uber excited to help you all in your triathlon endeavors! It looks like we have a good group with a mix of people.  I think E-mail will be the best way to contact me. If you don't have your E-mail in your profile just E-mail me and I will respond.  I will also be checking this forum so we can have open dialog within the group! 

Again sorry about the late responses. This should be an awesome time!  

-Mango 
2009-04-28 3:52 PM
in reply to: #2103244

User image

Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Mango's Group - OPEN
Hey michele! 

That is great that you have done a couple of triathlons. What do you feel like is your least strongest discipline? What does your training week look like? When in May is your triathlon.

Also, Marathons are a great time! If you can train for a triathlon, you will have no problem training for a marathon. Also, all the riding on the bike will strengthen your quads which will help your run. 

Looking forward hearing from you!!

-Mango 

2009-04-28 3:56 PM
in reply to: #2103564

User image

Boston, MA
Your story is very common with falling in love with the triathlon lifestyle.

How is your training going with the triathlon you will doing in a couple of weeks? What are your goals this year? What does your typical training week look like?

I am defiantly a high intensity person! This will be a good time and hopefully we all can learn form each other!  

-Mango 
2009-04-28 4:01 PM

User image

Boston, MA
Hey all!!

Ok...I have been either Email you or PM you. Let's see if we can post all responses on the forum. I talked to Ron and he said this work best for the rest of the groups. We will be able to use each other for lively and fun discussions! If I have not contacted you personally please give me a day. I am trying to play catch up. This will be a good time!

I think just as a starting point if people want to post their goals and their typical training week I think that will give us all a good starting point!

Talk to you all soon! Smile

-Mango 
2009-04-28 9:16 PM

User image

Boston, MA
Hey Justin!

I'm currently training between 3 to 4 hours a week. I want to double that within the next two months. I'm on no set schedule and don't really know what I should be doing. Right now I try to swim, bike, and run each three times per week. Typical week looks like this:

Sunday: Swim/Run
Monday: Bike
Tuesday: Run
Wednesday: Swim
Thursday: Bike/Run
Friday: Off
Saturday: Swim/Bike

Swims average around 20 minutes
Bikes average around 45 minutes
Runs average around 30 minutes

It works for me, but I'm definately not averse to change. No real clue as to what I should be doing right now... I kind of adpated a less is more attitude for the early part of the year but I feel like its time to increase the training time now?!? I chose you as a mentor since you already have an IM under your belt, as most didn't.

As for the weight, I may be a few pounds over ideal weight, but I'm not too worried about it. I'm 5'10, 172. Would like to be closer to 165 come race day.

Thanks again for your help!

Steve (steveseer)

Hey Steve,

Thanks for choosing me to be your mentor. looks like you have been base training for a while. I am a firm believer in the phases of training. These phases are base, build, peak and taper. These phases can be as long and short as you want but I think effective training has to incorporate all of them.

I don't know the type of plan you are using but the plan that I used for my ironman had me starting out on 8 hours per week. So I think you should spend the next couple of months building up your endurance. Once you get into your plan it should incorporate more specific training like speed, tempo, ect.

Try not to build too much too soon. There is no hard and fast rule but the 10% rule works well. I know some people who have done more than that but listen to your body! If you start to ache I would ask the group what they think because I bet most of us have had an injury one in their training.

Keep us all updated with your training schedule and how things are going. if you have specific questions please ask!

-Mango
2009-04-28 9:21 PM

User image

Boston, MA
Justin,

I just ran a 5K race this past weekend and I did meet a few Tri guys and it does seem like it is more of a lifestyle.  I am at the point now where if I stop something for a few days then it seems as though something is really missing.

As for my 300 mile ride, I have been taking spinning classes through the winter and now with the warmer weather I have been getting out a lot more.  I haven't gone that distance yet, but it is broken up with many breaks and a slow pace for the people that decided yesterday that they wanted to ride a mountain bike for 300 miles.  I don't think I should have a problem with the ride.  Fortunately I live by many hills so I don't think they will have anything I can't handle.

The other elements I think are going well.  I swim pretty consistently two times a week.  I just started less than six months ago.  When I started I was taking a lot of breaks and couldn't even do 500.  Now I am more consistent, few breaks and have gone 2250.  I could probably go further but I have time constraints.  I have to be back home before the kids get out of bed at 7AM.  I have also started a 16 week training program for the Oly so that give me a better guideline of when and how much to do.  My time for 500 is hovering just over 9:00.  I think in time this will come down the more I am in the pool.

Running is probably my least favorite, but I like it much more than I did two years ago.  Maybe because I always run alone.  My mile time varies depending on the distance, anywhere from around 8 to 8:45.  I just started running longer distances.  This is a recovery week, so next week I will hit 6 miles.  That will be my furthest to date.

I haven't done many bricks yet.  I have done all three elements in one day, just at different times.  I have run after spinning a few times.  I have read several places about doing bricks and working on the transition.  I hope to work on that a little next week.  Also, as soon as I get back from my bike ride I have to try my wet suit and get some practice with the open water swimming.

Thanks for the advice,

Bill

This sounds GREAT! Keep up the great work. Please keep the group updated! If you have specific questions please ask. Do you have a log. I find it really helpful so I can keep track of the hours spent to make sure you don't over or under train. Also, you will be able to look back to see how far you have come!

Talk to you soon,

Mango
2009-04-28 9:25 PM

Cary, NC
Subject: RE: Brian Kress - Profile
NAME: Brian Kress

STORY: I am new to triathlons and from Rochester, NY. I did my first triathlon March 29th, 2009 on my 36th birthday. I needed something to shoot for to keep me motivated with my exercising. I next plan to compete in a sprint triathlon on June 7th, 2009. I am currently training for this race.  I am doing triathlons to keep me motivated in my workouts and my life long fitness goals. 

FAMILY STATUS: Live in NY with my Jennifer, our three boys, and our dog

CURRENT TRAINING: I believe that I am strongest in the biking and it is the event that I enjoy the most. I have done some running, but it has mostly been for soccer or basketball related training. I am newest to the swim. I am currently training exclusively outdoors and working on upgrading my bike to work better to compete in races

THIS YEARS RACES: I completed an indoor mini-triathlon in March. I am training for a Sprint Triathlon in June, I am considering a duathlon around the same time, and I hope to do another triathlon later this year.

WEIGHT LOSS: I do have a goal to lose weight as I train and compete in various races. I hope to lose between 20 and 35lbs this year.

WHY A MENTOR GROUP: I believe that I have much to learn and associating with other motivated triathaletes will help me to stay focused and improve my skills and techniques.

I am looking forward to hear about ways to improve and the great results we all achieve!!

Best regards,

Brian

2009-04-28 9:33 PM

User image

Boston, MA

Hey Mango,

Hey Mango I'm not sure if this is what I supposed to do, so sorry in advance if I'm wrong. I'm taking on my very first Sprint Tri this weekend May 2nd (PolarBear), and I feel that my fitness level will allow me to finish without a problem. However, I am a little nervous about the entire start process, because I don't want to screw up even before I start the race.

I'm also thinking about signing up for a 5K Road Race May 16th, that I organized 2 years ago for my work, but was never able to run it.  Additionally, I'm thinking about signing up for another Sprint Tri at the end of the month.  I was wondering what your thoughts are?  My goal is just to finish the Tri's.

After this week, I plan on starting the Olympic 20 week 2x balance plan, hoping to try a race in the middle of September and would love any comments or suggestions.  I was wondering that when I start should I start at the firs week, or move further into the plan, because I'm been doing most of the Sprint plan, a little week on the swim?

I must tell you that I feel completely out of place, because I'm doing the race on a mountain bike with road tires.  My wife completely supports me but stated that I should train for a couple of month and then buy a Tri-bike.  I plan on buying a wetsuit in a couple of weeks. 

Finally, I do have a swimming problem a pool that is readily accessible is somewhat problematic.  I do plan on swimming in open water when it gets warmer.

So any help with anything I mentioned would be greatly appreciated.  I just started placing my workouts online, being that I was just writing it down.

Again thanks for any help.

Little Nervous
Shawn

Shawn,

Good luck on your race this weekend. I remember my first race. I don't think anyone will ever forget it! If I may offer some tips:

1. Stand in the back of the pack for the swim start. It can get really crazy in there. Swimming can be nerve racking but if you stay relaxed and in the back you will do GREAT!

2. try to stay relaxed (easier said than done). this race will be a couple of hours long for you. the more relaxed you are the better it will seem.

3. While your setting up your transition before the start strike up a conversation with someone near you. Tell them you are a newbie. Triathletes are cool people and would love to help anyone coming into the sport.

4. Keep a race log. Write down what went wrong and what went right. so your next race you can look at the log to correct the mistakes.

5. Keep a supply list for a race. I can't tell you how many times I forgot something and had to either do without it or find someone to help me. Having this list will calm you down so you can focus on the race.

After your race tell the group about your experience. Then we can chat about training and schedule. Your goals sound great! I think you will do great!

Talk to you soon,

Mango
2009-04-29 7:55 AM

User image

Boston, MA
Mango,

I just finished posting a profile on BT. I also use the site to log my training. I favor biking because it is my favorite. I am trying to get out each day either running or biking. I am still working on a good consistent solution for swimming because I recently canceled my membership to the facility I was with that had one.

I am getting geared up for a June 7th Tri locally and I just ran the running course tonight to see how much work I really need to do on my running to be competitive. I think this is my weakest area and one of the reasons I joined your group. If I were to compete today based on last years results I would struggle to be in the top 30 of my age group. I have a goal of top 5 in my age group. It looks to be a large and competitive age bracket. I may need to adjust this goal. I will wait a couple more weeks to make that decision.

Best regards,

Brian 

Brian,
good for you having a training log. I found that having a training log really helps you keep in check of your mileage so you don't go over or under. Also it lets you look at your training and determine where you need the most work. 
Running is my favorite discipline in triathlons. Helpful hints I can give people to improve their running:
1. put some speed into your workouts. For the newbie runner I tell them to go to a track. do 400 meter     repeats. To work out should look something like this
        - 1 mile warm up
        - 5x 400 meter at hard effort with a 400 meter jog in between each sprint. 
        - 800 meter warm down
2. practice brick workouts. You can run all you want but running after you have been cycling is a WHOLE different story. 
3. When you are racing allow a couple of minutes for your legs to stretch out a little before you start running your race pace.
This will help your running a little bit. If you want more help with your running. post specific questions on the forum page. 
Talk to you soon,
Mango
2009-04-29 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2113420

User image

Boston, MA
ootman - 2009-04-27 2:56 PM Hello Mango,My name is Shawn, and I would love to join the group. Unfortunately, I really late for my first Sprint Tri, which is this coming Saturday May 2nd the PolarBear. I my goal is to participate in a Olympic Tri in September.Here is some information about me, and why I’ve decided to take on this task. I’m 43 years old, married, with 2 very active kids 13 and 11. If I’m not working, I’m driving one of them to a sporting event. I just recently retired from a police department where I worked rotating shifts, which is the main reason why my workouts have been limited and very unpredictable. It was very tough over 20 years, working overtime, court, training, etc.Now, I’m a police administrator working a normal schedule for the first time in 20 years. I usually get up around 4:30 am, and run 40-50 minutes (4 to 5 miles) 4-5 times a week, bike when I get home 3-4 times a week. However, the swimming is the biggest challenge regarding my schedule, and its solely due to the availability of the pool and family issues.Second challenge, I’ve had two knee surgery’s 1980 and 1992. Nothing too big, but I can feel it on some day’s with longer runs. The primary reason why I’m doing this is for my bucket list, my family, weigh lost, and most importantly for ME!!!!!!! I got the bug from my brother in law, who has done many Sprint’s, Olympic, HIM and Full IM.I’m just starting in the sport, riding a mountain bike with road tires, and my wife has promised to give me permission to spend money on a bike next year, after completing a couple of Sprints. I’m looking for help in nutrition and a balance training plan that will meet my needs of just finishing this year. My motto throughout life has always been “What doesn’t kill you, will make you stronger”.Hope this is enough for consideration.Shawn“What doesn’t kill you will make you stronger”

Shawn,

Good for you for wanting to get outside more! It sounds like you have a good fitness base all ready which will help you in your goals. Don't worry about the bike. what counts right now is that your on the bike being active and training. I also raced my first year in triathlon on a mountain bike. 

What type of knee surgery did you have? Do you goto PT? I found that incorporating lower extremity strength exercises helps a lot of people with knee problems. PLEASE check with your PT or MD about doing this. I don't want you to injure yourself so early in the triathlon season. 

Nutrition is a very tricky subject. You have to find what works for you. Why don't you post what a typical day looks like (nutrition wise) on the forum and then we can start from there.

I like your motto!! 

Talk to you soon,
Mango 
2009-04-29 8:19 AM
in reply to: #2111664

User image

Boston, MA
fullback4025 - 2009-04-26 9:32 PM Hey Justin,

My name is Greg, I am a 23 year old male. I was wondering if you still had any space open in your mentor program.

I am also living in the Boston area, finishing up my physical therapy degree at BU. I have decided to start training for my first triathlon as a way to get back into shape and to relight my competitive nature. I used to be a three sport athlete in high school and since coming to college I have not been as active as I once was. My good friend also ran the Boston Marathon this year for the first time and seeing how much personal gratification she got from it, I decided it was time for me to do something that not only will put me back on track for a healthy lifestyle, but will tap back into my desire to compete, and give myself a sense of pride for accomplishing something like this.

I am currently 5'9" 213lbs. I really do not have a background in any one of the sports but am thinking if I give myself ample time to train (I'm thinking the 22 week couch to sprint program) I could finish my first race on Sunday Sept 27th at Nantasket Beach.

I am starting my training tomorrow, 50yard swim and a 20 minute walk/jog.

My personal goals are to lose 25-35lbs and just finish a race.

Thank you for your time and dedication to bettering other peoples lives.

Let me know if you still have space.

Best,
Greg

Greg,

Good for you for starting to exercise! That first step is the hardest. You are in a unique position because you are a PT student and have a good knowledge base of physiology. This will help you with stretching and  strength training. 

Just a couple of good tips

1. listen to your body in regards to aches and pain. Your body will tell you if your doing too much too soon.

2. Keep a log. This will allow you to visualize your training and also to prevent you from over training.

3. Don't forget about your daily nutrition. working out alone will help you get in shape but your daily nutrition is just as important

4. Find tri friends. I found that the more I talk with people (in forums and also at races) the more pumped I get about the sport

This is an exciting time!! These tips I gave you are VERY general tips. If you would like more specific training questions post them on the forum and we all can help you! 

Congrats and talk to you soon!

-Mango 
2009-04-29 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2111306

User image

Boston, MA
kslamp - 2009-04-26 6:38 PM Hi Justin, I’d like to join your group if it is still open. I’m a 27 year old female. I live in the south ‘burbs of Chicago with my husband and cat. I just did my first Sprint Triathlon last weekend—the Pioneer Sprint in Springfield, IL. Though it sounds like a silly reason, I wanted to do a tri to make myself go to the gym over the winter while finishing my doctoral thesis. I used the 3x Balance, 16 Week program. It went okay, though I really fell apart on the run. I’d like to do the Chicago ½ marathon at the end of the summer, but I’d also like to do another sprint in August. I’m mostly doing the ½ marathon to make myself train for the run, which I honestly don’t love. Thanks, Kassie Lamp

Kassie,

Good for you for wanting to stay in shape, especially while finishing up your Thesis. I first want to ask why you think you fell apart on the run during your run portion of the triathlon? Do you think it was a nutrition problem? Did you have pain during the run or did you just bonk?

It does not seem silly that the reason your doing a triathlon is so you will goto the gym in the winter. If winters are the same in chicago as they are in Boston they are windy, dreary, and freakin' cold! It is hard to stay motivated. I have a poster of a poster I got in hawaii of the Ironman that I keep in my office to keep me motivated.

Running is tough. Running after swimming and biking is even worse! Did you incorporate any brick training before your race? I find that this helped me out a lot! Also lower leg exercises helped me out (i.e. lunges, squats). These will also help you out on your bike. 

Are you doing any triathlons in the summer or are you just training for the 1/2 marathon in September?

Talk to you soon,

Mango

P.S. I am doing the Chicago Marathon this year. I hope it cools down this year as compared to past years!! Also, What are the must see attractions while I'm in Chicago. My wife and I have never been and we are really look forward to it!   

2009-04-29 8:40 AM
in reply to: #2111256

User image

Boston, MA
lwooley - 2009-04-26 6:00 PM Hi Mango-
Wondering if there is still room to join your group?  I am a 27 year old female from Boston.
I am mainly a runner, but after a bad case of shin splints, I hit the pool and decided I would give triathlons a shot.

I've done 2 marathons (Boston and Chicago) and lots of 1/2 marathons.  I took a few swimming lessons and feel pretty comfortable in the water.  The bike is my weakest link right now, so I'm looking for advice and support as I get ready for my first sprint tri and hopefully 1/2 ironman at the end of the summer. 

Thanks,
Lauren

Hey lauren,

Going from your sprint tri to a half ironman is an very ambitious goal! Go big or go home, right? This is totally doable! Just a couple of general tips:

1. keep a log! This will help you prevent overtraining. I think with the goals you have you will have to be very specific with your training.

2. Don't forget about your nutrition! This will help you with your workouts! fueling your body the right way will really charge your training days.

3. remember to go HARD on your hard days and EASY on your easy days. Try not to get stuck in this one speedy training

Do you have a training schedule?

I think you will have no problem fitness wise with the training. Running a marathon is no easy feat! Especially Boston, those downhills will trash your quads!

Keep us all updated on your progress! Specific questions just post in the forum and I will answer you from there.

I am very excited to hear about your progress!

Talk to you soon,
Mango 
2009-04-29 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2113713

User image

Boston, MA
maggiejake - 2009-04-27 4:50 PM Hi Mango,
I would like to join your group. I have registered for the Chicago sprint triathlon on August 30th. I am a lifeguard, a  runner and love cycling. I am from Canada, 51 years old woman with 3 kids(23-24-25 years old). My daughter will do her first triathlon with me. I work as a exercice physiologist for a University in Montreal, and also studying for a Ph.D. I could use a mentor to help me on my journey. I have weight to loose and I would like to be at my best shape. It is time I take time for myself.

Hope I can join your group

Andree

Andree,

I am excited that you are getting into triathlons! you will love it!! Even better that you and your daughter are doing the Chicago triathlon together.
You are ahead of the game with your knowledge in physiology. This will totally help you in knowing what muscles you will have to strengthen and how to avoid injury.

What does your training look like now in a typical week? Do you have a training plan to get you to your goals?

As for your weight loss, why don't you post a typical day (what you eat) on the forum and We all can help you.

I am very excited for you and look forward hearing from you.

Talk to you soon,
Mango 
2009-04-29 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2115360

User image

Boston, MA
stateu - 2009-04-28 11:21 AM I would like to join your group Mango. I am a 33yo male, in my 3rd season of triathlons. I also have a background in running. I qualified for Boston in December 2008 with a 3:09:45 marathon and plan to race Boston in 2010. I am signed up for a HIM May 9th and will race several local sprints this summer.

I first want to say congrats on qualifying for the Boston Marathon. That is an incredible accomplishment! 

How if your training for the Half Ironman going. You much be in your taper?

What are your goals for this summer? What do you feel you need the most help in?

I look forward hearing from you and I hope this forum can help you with your goals this year!

Talk to you soon,

Mango 
2009-04-29 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2106900

User image

Boston, MA
Freckles716 - 2009-04-23 9:33 PM Hi Justin,

I would like to join your group. We have some similarities but not in athletics.  I am a nurse, I grew up in Boston, now living in Hull, And I work for the VA working with vets.

I have never been an athlete.  My youth was spent taking the T to work after school.  I have worked out on/off for years over the past 20 or so.  I am 42 now.  About 6 years ago I had a trainer that I really clicked with.  I was with him for over a year then he moved away.  I felt great when I was working with him.  Then I went back to school, my second grad school experience, for an MSN, my first grad school experience got me an MB, and intellectual challenges overtook physical challenges in my time constraint schedule.

Anyway, I am a goal oriented person and like to challenge myself.  I feel I have challenged myself academically enough.  It is time to challenge myself physically, be healthy, be an example for my patients, and to feel great again.

My biggest problems not sticking to a regime is no motivation and no workout buddy or coach.  I have decided to try to do the Duxbury Beach Triathlon this September.  I am not sure if this is a realistic goal for me, as I am in horrible shape now, probably a good 25-30 pounds over weight.  However, a good friend of mine (Jim)  died this past February from Cancer at the age of 47.  To look at him you would never have known he had cancer eating him up inside.  He kept himself very healthy and strong.  I want to compete in the triathlon in his memory and donate funds raised to Dana Farber Cancer Institue.

Jim will be my motivation and I hope to meet others, on line or in person,with sporting interests with whom I can have some fun.

Oh yeah I am not so technologically suave

Diane

Diane,

Good for you for wanting to get in shape. I am sure your good friend Jim will be proud of you! getting your MSN is not easy.

What does your training look like now, on a typical week? What is a typical day look like with your nutrition?

I hope this forum will be a help to you. I love to inspire and motivate people.

You must have really enjoyed the weather the northeast has been getting in the past few days!

The triathlon in September is a TOTALLY do-able goal. Do you have a training plan? We will all help you through the process!

Talk to you soon,

Mango 
2009-04-29 9:11 AM

User image

Boston, MA
FHEW! I think I have responded to everyone! We have a good amount of members in this group! It will be a great time! Here are the members of Mango's group:

Steveseer
Mosejg3
Jtaddei
RedBerry
Wsolt
Whizzards23
Erbert
Slayerjul
Soccer23
Bkress
Nodnoc
Freckles716
Jgerbodegrant
SSchorsch
Mdsauro
Lwooley
Kslamp
Fullback4025
Ootman
MaggieJake
Stateu

If you don't see your name, please Email me. Also, If you have not received a Email or post from me please contact me!

Ok all I need to go hit the pool! I will talk to you all soon.

-Mango 

2009-04-29 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2117904

New user

Hull, MA
I have just got some books about training.  so I am at the VERY beginning.  I have been trying to find a coach, no luck.  Any idea how I can find one in this area. 

I have no knowledge base on nutrition or physical training..thus the books.  They have some good plans but I have encountered contradictory information, I guess some is opinion on best ways to start, how much base aerobic training I need to acquire. Thus I was left wondering if September is a realistic goal.  Then I don't want to start making excuses before I even start!

I am also trying to find a place with a pool.  I thought about training in the ocean, but man Nantasket beach in April can cause cardiac arrest even with a wet suit.

I need lots of help...where to begin???
2009-04-29 10:59 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
NAME: Jonathan Grant

STORY: So a friend of mine tells me that he has been doing triathlons now for a few years and is training for the lake placid ironman.  I have watched the HI ironman with my dad since I can remember.  I'm 28 now and have a background in both individual and team sports, but never running, biking or swimming....go figure.  So I'm super pumped to get into the sport.  Recently bought my first tri bike, a Felt S32.  I also bought a wetsuit, 2xu up at peak performance in portland, me.  I am prone to injuries and love any advice on shin splints and the like.

FAMILY STATUS: Single with a wonderful girlfriend.  Live with a roommate in Portsmouth, NH. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently training under a local Tri coach.  I've been working with him for a month, but the cost is too high for my lifestyle, so I'm venturing out on my own.  I currently am off running waiting for my shins to heal.  I got some orthodics, so we'll see how that goes.  I bike three to four times a week, a total of about 4-5 hours.  I'm starting my first swim lessons tomorrow, a mixture of TI and Red cross is what I'm told.  I have been swimming since I was 3, but have no idea how to do it correctly.

THIS YEARS RACES: I have to 5k's under my belt for the year.  Both at crappy times (27:18 and 26:45).  I am registered for the harpoon 5 miler, market square day 10k and the eastman sprint Tri..

WEIGHT LOSS: I do not want to lose any more weight, but it is coming off slowly.  I'm currently 6'3" 199 lbs.

WHY A MENTOR GROUP: Why not!?  Being an extreme newbie, I need all the advice/help I can get.  I'm not afraid to ask stupid questions and love gear talk!  I am also looking for training partners for myself and my girlfriend.  So if anyone is in the portsmouth, nh area, let me know!! 

Jonathan
2009-04-29 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2117859

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olive Branch, MS
mangorunner123 - 2009-04-29 8:52 AM

stateu - 2009-04-28 11:21 AM I would like to join your group Mango. I am a 33yo male, in my 3rd season of triathlons. I also have a background in running. I qualified for Boston in December 2008 with a 3:09:45 marathon and plan to race Boston in 2010. I am signed up for a HIM May 9th and will race several local sprints this summer.

I first want to say congrats on qualifying for the Boston Marathon. That is an incredible accomplishment! 

How if your training for the Half Ironman going. You much be in your taper?

What are your goals for this summer? What do you feel you need the most help in?

I look forward hearing from you and I hope this forum can help you with your goals this year!

Talk to you soon,

Mango 

Did a 42 min ows today that went well!! Felt great-like I could have swam forever!! I was a little dzzy when I got out and my wetsuit seemed too tight as I had some numbness in one of my hands.
80 min tempo run tomorrow, then taper.
I need more to get better on the bike for sure. I hope to improve my time in each of my sprints over the same races last year.
2009-04-29 11:55 AM
in reply to: #2117738

Mango,

I had a meniscus tear in my right knee in 1980, re-injured it again in 1992 and had it scoped at this time.  It was also determined that I have some arthritis in the same knee.  3 weeks ago I was just sitting, extended my leg out, and had some pretty bad pain, which caused it to be a little unstable feeling.  I rested a couple days, ran easy 4-miler with no problems during the run.  However, later on the day it started to hurt so I took a week off.

Now, I was very nervous about not being able to participate in the Sprint Tri, and called my Doctor, and got in right away (thank God he likes cops).  His prognosis was the same, I still had some arthritis and that I should be ok.   I asked him for a long term prognosis, stating that my ultimate goal is a bigger race maybe a HIM or Full IM, and he basically said “If I tell you to stop running, I know that you will just blow me off” which I replied “pretty much”.  He did recommend that I limit my activity to swim, bike and run.  That I should stay away from al; sports that has quick and rapid lateral movements (tennis, basketball, skiing etc).  This is not a problem and I completely agree with him.

I do not plan on doing speed workouts anytime soon.  I found that when I run fast the pounding causes some issues.  However, if I'm at a steady pace I have no problems with my knees.

Your thoughts on this concept / issue? 

Nutrition today

Breakfast

Coffee

Instant Oatmeal with splendid

Morning Snack

Banana

Lunch

Whole wheat bread with ham and regular mustard

Carrots

Afternoon snack

(2) Wasi crackers 

Dinner

Unknown, but mostly boneless chicken or steak with veggies.  I hate fish only lobster, and thats because I'm from Maine

Water Intake

I drink a minimum of a gallon of water while at work, and a couple of water bottles at home.  Maybe a Diet Coke 4 times a week.

This is very typical for me during the weekday.  The weekend depends on family events with 2 kids involved in every travel sport its hard.

Thanks for any information I’m a nutrition idiot, and have tendency to use food when I’m stressed out (but to an extreme).  However, since I’ve been working out I use the exercise as a stress release.

Questions:

Am I having enough fuel for my workouts, especially with starting the Olympic Plan?

What should I eat the night before and the morning of my event?

I know you should take a couple of days off during the week to recover.  However, when I take a day off I feel like I'm missing something, because I truly enjoy the workouts.  How do I deal with this feeling?  A short very easy run.

Have a great day!!!!! 

Shawn

“What doesn’t kill you will make you stronger”

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mango's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7