Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2009-04-29 6:00 PM
in reply to: #2093570

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA
Subject: RE: Mango's Group - CLOSED
hey mango sorry for the confusion, i've already got a mentor here on BT.com so please don't fill a spot with me.

Sorry about that!

p.s. sitting in on this episode 7 call, good show.

2009-04-29 6:09 PM
in reply to: #2117806

Phoenix
Subject: RE: Mango's Group - OPEN
Justin,
I think I fell apart because I hadn't trained on hills at all. Though the event description did say "gently rolling hills", I thought, hey it's Illinois. To my surprise, there were a number of hills, some fair sized around the turn around for the bike and the run finished on a good sized one. I did the first two miles of the run faster than I expected--ten minute miles (yes, I'm slow) but I saw that last big hill and just lost it. It was likely as much mental as physical though I admit my legs were done by that point though I wasn't in pain. I think I likely wasn't conditioned enough period and then the hills just made it worse.
I did a few bricks as proscribed by the training program in the last few weeks and they went fairly well. I think though the hills got me, I just needed more volume on the run because I'm slow.
As for training this week. I took the week off after the Sprint--there was some pain, mostly lower back, afterwards. I've just started back on a combination of the run focused 22 week Olympic plan and Hal Higdon's 1/2 marathon program (I didin't think the run focused would give me the distance for the half marathon and wanted longer work outs for conditioning and fat-burning). Basically I've just plugged Higdon's runs in on run days. The run (3x a week around 3 miles now) and bike (1 or 2 a week 48 and 88 min) workouts feel about right but I did 1950 yrds in 48 minuted in the pool today and have been pretty much useless, making me wonder if it is too much workout for me. I do want to add weight training--at least lower body, but haven't figure out quite how to do it. Maybe just some squats and lunges are the way to go? My plan was to do the Chicago 1/2 marathon (which I think is the same day as the Chicago Marathon?) and then the big Sprint Tri here in Chicago three weeks later - though I question the wisdom of doing two races so close.
Anyhow, this is a long post, I'll stop. Thanks for mentoring me. If you and your wife would like a place to stay for the Chicago Marathon, our doors are open.
Kassie
2009-05-01 9:35 AM
in reply to: #2118113

User image

Boston, MA
Freckles716 - 2009-04-29 11:05 AM I have just got some books about training. so I am at the VERY beginning. I have been trying to find a coach, no luck. Any idea how I can find one in this area.

I have no knowledge base on nutrition or physical training..thus the books. They have some good plans but I have encountered contradictory information, I guess some is opinion on best ways to start, how much base aerobic training I need to acquire. Thus I was left wondering if September is a realistic goal. Then I don't want to start making excuses before I even start!

I am also trying to find a place with a pool. I thought about training in the ocean, but man Nantasket beach in April can cause cardiac arrest even with a wet suit.

I need lots of help...where to begin???

If you want a one on one coach you can go to this website:  http://www.usatcoachdirectory.com/searchbydiscipline.asp/>
It is a complete listing of all USAT certifies coaches.

OK...Where to start. I think you should get a book or find a website with a training plan and use that when starting. There are MANY plans out there that focus on the first time triathlete. You will have NO problem finishing that race in September if you follow the plan. Also most of those plans are around 16 weeks. Which means you can start training now with no problem.

As for the pool I would look into the local YMCA. A lot of gyms have them but they are a little pricey. Also you could look into a local college. I hope this helps.

-Mango
2009-05-01 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2118391

User image

Boston, MA
Did a 42 min ows today that went well!! Felt great-like I could have swam forever!! I was a little dzzy when I got out and my wetsuit seemed too tight as I had some numbness in one of my hands. 80 min tempo run tomorrow, then taper. I need more to get better on the bike for sure. I hope to improve my time in each of my sprints over the same races last year.

That's awesome about your swim. I love those days when I feel I could keep on going.

That's weird about your wetsuit. hopefully it does not continue to happen.

Keep us updated with your taper. also if there is any questions you have going into the race.

Just one more question, what do you feel, specifically, you need help in the bike with? Is it speed, endurance, handling, ect.?

-Mango
2009-05-01 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2118440

User image

Boston, MA
ootman - 2009-04-29 12:55 PM

Mango,

I had a meniscus tear in my right knee in 1980, re-injured it again in 1992 and had it scoped at this time.  It was also determined that I have some arthritis in the same knee.  3 weeks ago I was just sitting, extended my leg out, and had some pretty bad pain, which caused it to be a little unstable feeling.  I rested a couple days, ran easy 4-miler with no problems during the run.  However, later on the day it started to hurt so I took a week off.

Now, I was very nervous about not being able to participate in the Sprint Tri, and called my Doctor, and got in right away (thank God he likes cops).  His prognosis was the same, I still had some arthritis and that I should be ok.   I asked him for a long term prognosis, stating that my ultimate goal is a bigger race maybe a HIM or Full IM, and he basically said “If I tell you to stop running, I know that you will just blow me off” which I replied “pretty much”.  He did recommend that I limit my activity to swim, bike and run.  That I should stay away from al; sports that has quick and rapid lateral movements (tennis, basketball, skiing etc).  This is not a problem and I completely agree with him.

I do not plan on doing speed workouts anytime soon.  I found that when I run fast the pounding causes some issues.  However, if I'm at a steady pace I have no problems with my knees.

Your thoughts on this concept / issue? 

Nutrition today

Breakfast

Coffee

Instant Oatmeal with splendid

Morning Snack

Banana

Lunch

Whole wheat bread with ham and regular mustard

Carrots

Afternoon snack

(2) Wasi crackers 

Dinner

Unknown, but mostly boneless chicken or steak with veggies.  I hate fish only lobster, and thats because I'm from Maine

Water Intake

I drink a minimum of a gallon of water while at work, and a couple of water bottles at home.  Maybe a Diet Coke 4 times a week.

This is very typical for me during the weekday.  The weekend depends on family events with 2 kids involved in every travel sport its hard.

Thanks for any information I’m a nutrition idiot, and have tendency to use food when I’m stressed out (but to an extreme).  However, since I’ve been working out I use the exercise as a stress release.

Questions:

Am I having enough fuel for my workouts, especially with starting the Olympic Plan?

What should I eat the night before and the morning of my event?

I know you should take a couple of days off during the week to recover.  However, when I take a day off I feel like I'm missing something, because I truly enjoy the workouts.  How do I deal with this feeling?  A short very easy run.

Have a great day!!!!! 

Shawn

“What doesn’t kill you will make you stronger”

Shawn,

It totally makes sense about it hurts to speed up. It is more pounding because you take longer strides which also puts more pressure on your joints. You ever think of trail running or running on grass? I have heard people doing this and have less pain after their run.

Interesting you call yourself a nutrition idiot but it seems your eating all the right stuff during the day. As for eating enough for an olympic training plan. I have two pieces of advice.  

1. after a workout longer than 30 minutes make sure to take in some calories within an hour of stopping the exercise. The research out there states that there is a window of opportunity to restore the glycogen stores you just burnt during exercise. The times vary depending on which study you look at, I have seen a 30 min window and I have seen a 2 hour window before you body is less efficient  restoring those stores. So that I go by the rule of an hour. restoring the glycogen store will allow you to have better energy stores for your next workout. Also, try to have this snack at a carbohydrate to protein ratio of 3:1 or 4:1. So for every 3 or 4 grams of carbs you should have 1 gram of protein. (my favorite is chocolate soy milk)

2. let your hunger be your guide with how much you should eat. As you train more the more you will need to eat more. My hunger as done a good job of guiding me. Just keep your choices healthy. It looks like you have the right idea from your food log.  

Now, in regards to your day off. You need a day off once in a while. I know some people who tak ea day off once a week and others that take one day off every 2 weeks but your body needs that rest day recover. With that said this "rest day" just means no hard training. So what I do is I go for a bike ride with my nephew or my wife. I will go for a hike with my family. I try to stay active but keep you heart rate below 120 bpm. 

I hope all this helps.

-Mango 

2009-05-02 4:52 AM

New user

Big Flats
I have a couple of questions about training.

First, I am doing a 16 week, 2x balanced plan.  I am a busy person and I don't want to miss any training.  This week I was supposed to ride on Friday and then run on Sunday. Due to scheduling conflicts (and the weather) I did my ride and run on Friday.  This will give me the whole weekend to rest before going at it again next week.  Does anyone see a problem with that?

My second question.  Sometimes when I ride hills or run longer distances my knees are sore after when I go up and down stairs.  No shooting pain, more like fatigue.  Is this normal?  And if it is, will it get better in time?

2009-05-02 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2125225

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
wsolt - 2009-05-02 5:52 AM I have a couple of questions about training.

First, I am doing a 16 week, 2x balanced plan.  I am a busy person and I don't want to miss any training.  This week I was supposed to ride on Friday and then run on Sunday. Due to scheduling conflicts (and the weather) I did my ride and run on Friday.  This will give me the whole weekend to rest before going at it again next week.  Does anyone see a problem with that?

My second question.  Sometimes when I ride hills or run longer distances my knees are sore after when I go up and down stairs.  No shooting pain, more like fatigue.  Is this normal?  And if it is, will it get better in time?

As a super-beginner, I can give you some insight as to what I've seen since I started in November.  It's not a problem to have two days off in a row.  Just make sure you dedicate one of the days to being very strict as far as nutrition and resting those legs.  I'm not familiar with your 2x balanced plan, but everyone is human, so don't go beating yourself up if you can't make every training day exactly as they tell you. 

Second question...I had the exact same problem.  Any time I would bike and run in the same day, the next day, wonky knees.  It helps to run first and bike second.  And always always always ice for 8-15 minutes immediately after.  Ice is the best friend your legs have.  If you wait for than a half hour, the inflammation kind of gets to you.  Just my 2C, hope it helps!!

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2009-05-02 10:31 AM
2009-05-03 7:13 AM

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know, that I finished my very first Tri and had a friggin GREAT TIME .  Here are my times, not too impressive, but hey I did this race for me.

Swim:   13:32  Very surprised with this time, I thought it would be slower, so next race I'm pushing it a little more.

Bike:     46:46  Nice easy ride, did not want to push too much, because I wanted to keep some gas in the tank.  I did not drink enough water though.

Run:      36:35  I know, very slow, but I have always been slow nice easy pass though

Overall Time:   1:37:58

I have to tell everyone that I had a great time.  Everyone was pleasant, nice, helpful, understanding, and supportive.  All las night I was telling my family "Boy that was fun" so much that all three of them started to make fun of me, but thats ok.

Well I'm signed up for another Sprint at the end of the month.  Goal is to push the swim harder.

I would like to personally thank Mango for some good advice which helped out a ton for this newbie.

I'm going to take a couple of days off, and start the Olympic Plan this week.

Shawn

"What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger"
2009-05-04 7:05 AM
in reply to: #2119396

User image

Boston, MA
kslamp - 2009-04-29 7:09 PM Justin, I think I fell apart because I hadn't trained on hills at all. Though the event description did say "gently rolling hills", I thought, hey it's Illinois. To my surprise, there were a number of hills, some fair sized around the turn around for the bike and the run finished on a good sized one. I did the first two miles of the run faster than I expected--ten minute miles (yes, I'm slow) but I saw that last big hill and just lost it. It was likely as much mental as physical though I admit my legs were done by that point though I wasn't in pain. I think I likely wasn't conditioned enough period and then the hills just made it worse. I did a few bricks as proscribed by the training program in the last few weeks and they went fairly well. I think though the hills got me, I just needed more volume on the run because I'm slow. As for training this week. I took the week off after the Sprint--there was some pain, mostly lower back, afterwards. I've just started back on a combination of the run focused 22 week Olympic plan and Hal Higdon's 1/2 marathon program (I didin't think the run focused would give me the distance for the half marathon and wanted longer work outs for conditioning and fat-burning). Basically I've just plugged Higdon's runs in on run days. The run (3x a week around 3 miles now) and bike (1 or 2 a week 48 and 88 min) workouts feel about right but I did 1950 yrds in 48 minuted in the pool today and have been pretty much useless, making me wonder if it is too much workout for me. I do want to add weight training--at least lower body, but haven't figure out quite how to do it. Maybe just some squats and lunges are the way to go? My plan was to do the Chicago 1/2 marathon (which I think is the same day as the Chicago Marathon?) and then the big Sprint Tri here in Chicago three weeks later - though I question the wisdom of doing two races so close. Anyhow, this is a long post, I'll stop. Thanks for mentoring me. If you and your wife would like a place to stay for the Chicago Marathon, our doors are open. Kassie

_kassie,

You asked about weight training and what I do it some lower body stuff (squats, lunges, step-ups) but I also do a lot of core training. You can look up core exercises and do a couple a day. this will DEFIANTLY help with your racing. Also, when you tell me that your lower back hurts it makes me think a little. Do you have a correct bike fit? Also another reason for lower back pain is a weak core. 

As for your training it sounds good. Maybe you need to cut down on the swimming. Practice more form than endurance but I think the distances are ok for the bike and run. 

-Mango 
2009-05-04 7:14 AM
in reply to: #2125225

User image

Boston, MA
wsolt - 2009-05-02 5:52 AM I have a couple of questions about training.

What kind of run were you doing? This would be ok if those workouts were going to be nice and easy days but if your run was suppose to be a hard tempo run it might be difficult to do that after biking. It's all about the quality of a workout. 

Knee pain can be due to A LOT of things. Have you ever had knee problems? too much miles too soon? overweight? I wish I had a magic wand that would diagnosis you. keep up updated with the aches and pains. When does it happen? does it hurt more to go up stairs than down stairs? 

-Mango

2009-05-04 7:17 AM
in reply to: #2126260

User image

Boston, MA
ootman - 2009-05-03 8:13 AM Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know, that I finished my very first Tri and had a friggin GREAT TIME .  Here are my times, not too impressive, but hey I did this race for me.

Swim:   13:32  Very surprised with this time, I thought it would be slower, so next race I'm pushing it a little more.

Bike:     46:46  Nice easy ride, did not want to push too much, because I wanted to keep some gas in the tank.  I did not drink enough water though.

Run:      36:35  I know, very slow, but I have always been slow nice easy pass though

Overall Time:   1:37:58

I have to tell everyone that I had a great time.  Everyone was pleasant, nice, helpful, understanding, and supportive.  All las night I was telling my family "Boy that was fun" so much that all three of them started to make fun of me, but thats ok.

Well I'm signed up for another Sprint at the end of the month.  Goal is to push the swim harder.

I would like to personally thank Mango for some good advice which helped out a ton for this newbie.

I'm going to take a couple of days off, and start the Olympic Plan this week.

Shawn

"What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger"

Shawn that is awesome!! Congrats dude! I am glad you had such a great time! If you could maybe share with the other group members what tips you would give a newbie that helped you the most. I think this will help a lot of the members if they heard the tips from a newbie! Again congrats and rest up!

-Mango 

2009-05-04 7:22 AM

User image

Boston, MA
ok, lets get some group participation on in this forum!! 

what is your favorite post-hard workout snack?

Also, What is your favorite food to eat after a big race?

I will start, my recovery snack is a HUGE protein shake:

skim milk
strawberries
banana
strawberry protein powder
Banilla (strawberry and banana) yogurt
vanilla extract
honey
stevia 

and then my post race meal is a large pizza with the works (hold the anchovies) with a whole bag of jelly beans after that. 

What does every one else do?

2009-05-04 9:03 AM

My post workout snack would be a banana and peanut butter, and my after race delight is a meat lover pizza and beer (1-only).

Workout Question:

Justin, I'm starting the 20 week Olympic 2x Balanced training program this week and was wondering if I should be running/biking a certain distance?  The plan states time only.  I'm a slow but very steady runner.

Second question:  After my race this weekend I felt extremely good, to the point that I think I should push harder next Sprint Tri in 4 weeks.  However, I'm new to this sport, with one under my belt, so I don't want to go ALL out in the swim and bike, and have no gas left for the run.  Do you have any suggestions how I can balance my swim, bike, and run equally so to better my time a little bit?  Swim 13:32 Bike 46:36 Run 36 minutes.

Thanks for the help.

Shawn
2009-05-04 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2127800

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olive Branch, MS
mangorunner123 - 2009-05-04 7:22 AM

ok, lets get some group participation on in this forum!! 

what is your favorite post-hard workout snack?

Also, What is your favorite food to eat after a big race?

I will start, my recovery snack is a HUGE protein shake:

skim milk
strawberries
banana
strawberry protein powder
Banilla (strawberry and banana) yogurt
vanilla extract
honey
stevia 

and then my post race meal is a large pizza with the works (hold the anchovies) with a whole bag of jelly beans after that. 

What does every one else do?

Beer.
2009-05-04 10:42 AM
in reply to: #2128217

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
haha...I would have to agree with beer.

I like to do a bowl full of plain yogurt, kashi, dried bananas, honey, raisins, and wheat germ.

Add this to your responses:  Favorite post race beer:  Guiness!!
2009-05-04 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth. TX

Two favorite post workout snacks:

Glass of water with chocolate Endurox and a Chocolate Brownie Clif bar, or a protein shake with chocolate protein powder, milk, a banana and a tablespoon or two of peanut butter.  (I think chocolate is the recurring theme here...)

So I did my first official triathlon last weekend: 300 yard pool swim, 14 mi bike, 5k run.  I started 24th in the water...apparently I entered too slow a swim time.  It was a bit hectic, as I had to climb over a couple of people who were not nearly as fast as advertised, and got caught in a log jam the last 75 yards.  Came out of the water in 3:38, I think the 7th fastest overall.  The bike course is pretty hilly, and the weather that morning was overcast and windy.  Bottom line, it made for a rough ride, especially for someone who's only been riding for about 4 months.  I managed 20 mph on the nose for the 14 miles, which I was happy with, all things considered.  But the so-called "Nice Hill", which is a short, but very steep hill about halfway thru the course, really trashed my legs.  I just haven't had enough hill training as of yet.  Getting off the bike was miserable, definitely a mental battle.  My first mile or so of the run was pretty slow, but as I got my legs back under me I was able to pick it up a bit.  The run was a series of very gradual inclines/declines, and like 4 turnaround points, so getting into a steady groove never really happened.  22:16 for the 5k...I think I was most disappointed in that leg.  1:09 for the whole race, good enough for 25th overall, 9th in my 25-29 AG. 

For my first race, I was very pleased.  I think the transitions and running ability off the bike will come with more experience.  My slowest leg against the field is definitely the bike...hopefully that will just come around with time. 

I'm shooting for a couple more sprints over the next 2 months...but then I think I want to try an Oly in September.  I've looked at the training plans available on BT (I'm not a paid member), and they aren't very specific.  My goal is to be compeitive (relatively speaking) in all of the races, and the training is mostly as time based.  Is that what its about for a new triathlete?  Just time spent, as opposed to a big mix of pace, tempo, and effort?  One problem I'm having right now is being involved in too many other activities that kind of interfere in regular training.  I'm in 2 basketball leagues and a volleyball league...I guess that playing 35-40 min of full court rec basketball is better than nothing, and can kind of substitute for some run training...or do I need to supplement those with workouts before/after?  I'm lost!

2009-05-04 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2128402

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olive Branch, MS
jgerbodegrant - 2009-05-04 10:42 AM

haha...I would have to agree with beer.

I like to do a bowl full of plain yogurt, kashi, dried bananas, honey, raisins, and wheat germ.

Add this to your responses:  Favorite post race beer:  Guiness!!

Newcastle Brown
2009-05-04 12:38 PM
in reply to: #2123397

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olive Branch, MS
mangorunner123 - 2009-05-01 9:41 AM

Did a 42 min ows today that went well!! Felt great-like I could have swam forever!! I was a little dzzy when I got out and my wetsuit seemed too tight as I had some numbness in one of my hands. 80 min tempo run tomorrow, then taper. I need more to get better on the bike for sure. I hope to improve my time in each of my sprints over the same races last year.

That's awesome about your swim. I love those days when I feel I could keep on going.

That's weird about your wetsuit. hopefully it does not continue to happen.

Keep us updated with your taper. also if there is any questions you have going into the race.

Just one more question, what do you feel, specifically, you need help in the bike with? Is it speed, endurance, handling, ect.?

-Mango

Took 3 days off this weekend to enjoy the Kentucky Derby-Great Time!!
Couple S-B-R sessions planned for this week, then race on Saurday.
I'm beginning to feel pretty nervous-especially over the ocean swim. Just gotta relax.
I'm hoping to break 6 hours with a 5:30 goal if everything goes right!
2009-05-05 7:41 AM
in reply to: #2128477

User image

Boston, MA
whizzards23 - 2009-05-04 12:08 PM

Two favorite post workout snacks:

Glass of water with chocolate Endurox and a Chocolate Brownie Clif bar, or a protein shake with chocolate protein powder, milk, a banana and a tablespoon or two of peanut butter.  (I think chocolate is the recurring theme here...)

So I did my first official triathlon last weekend: 300 yard pool swim, 14 mi bike, 5k run.  I started 24th in the water...apparently I entered too slow a swim time.  It was a bit hectic, as I had to climb over a couple of people who were not nearly as fast as advertised, and got caught in a log jam the last 75 yards.  Came out of the water in 3:38, I think the 7th fastest overall.  The bike course is pretty hilly, and the weather that morning was overcast and windy.  Bottom line, it made for a rough ride, especially for someone who's only been riding for about 4 months.  I managed 20 mph on the nose for the 14 miles, which I was happy with, all things considered.  But the so-called "Nice Hill", which is a short, but very steep hill about halfway thru the course, really trashed my legs.  I just haven't had enough hill training as of yet.  Getting off the bike was miserable, definitely a mental battle.  My first mile or so of the run was pretty slow, but as I got my legs back under me I was able to pick it up a bit.  The run was a series of very gradual inclines/declines, and like 4 turnaround points, so getting into a steady groove never really happened.  22:16 for the 5k...I think I was most disappointed in that leg.  1:09 for the whole race, good enough for 25th overall, 9th in my 25-29 AG. 

For my first race, I was very pleased.  I think the transitions and running ability off the bike will come with more experience.  My slowest leg against the field is definitely the bike...hopefully that will just come around with time. 

I'm shooting for a couple more sprints over the next 2 months...but then I think I want to try an Oly in September.  I've looked at the training plans available on BT (I'm not a paid member), and they aren't very specific.  My goal is to be compeitive (relatively speaking) in all of the races, and the training is mostly as time based.  Is that what its about for a new triathlete?  Just time spent, as opposed to a big mix of pace, tempo, and effort?  One problem I'm having right now is being involved in too many other activities that kind of interfere in regular training.  I'm in 2 basketball leagues and a volleyball league...I guess that playing 35-40 min of full court rec basketball is better than nothing, and can kind of substitute for some run training...or do I need to supplement those with workouts before/after?  I'm lost!

Congrats on the triathlon. GREAT START to the season! As for the training plan, you can totally have a training plan that is time based and still be competitive. I use time in all my training. What I do to compensate is to have effort levels for the workouts. So one work out will say: 1 hr run, 5x 5 min hard effort with 2 min job in between intervals.  This works for a lot of people. You just need to find a plan that gives you that. When I first started I used Tom Holland's book: the 2-week triathlete.

As for the other activities, playing all these sports is great and will help to keep your fitness but training needs to be specific. So the only way you will get better at running will be running. These other activities will help you keep fitness and hold your fitness but if you want to get better at triathlons you will need to train as a triathlete.  

I think a lot of triathletes battle with this. We are all highly motivated and want to do everything. I am the same way. So what I do every year is make goals for the year. Two years ago my goals included to just do a couple of half ironman's but compete in a marathon. So most of my training was directed toward my running. So if your goals include to play basketball in a league than perfect!

I hope this helps. I am happy to see your involved in physical activity.

-Mango 
2009-05-05 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2128756

User image

Boston, MA
Took 3 days off this weekend to enjoy the Kentucky Derby-Great Time!! Couple S-B-R sessions planned for this week, then race on Saurday. I'm beginning to feel pretty nervous-especially over the ocean swim. Just gotta relax. I'm hoping to break 6 hours with a 5:30 goal if everything goes right!

Just remember that your one main objective this week is to relax. All of the benefits from training happened a couple of weeks ago. You need to make sure your muscles are full of glycogen. DO NOT carbo load. If you keep eating like you were during your peak training you will do perfect. The decrease in physical activity and the food your taking in normally will do great. 

Is the swim a shore start or do you begin from a floating position?

What do you do to relax while your not training? Make sure to do that more often this week. I am sure you will do great!!

-Mango 
2009-05-05 7:47 AM
in reply to: #2128756

User image

Boston, MA
Took 3 days off this weekend to enjoy the Kentucky Derby-Great Time!! Couple S-B-R sessions planned for this week, then race on Saurday. I'm beginning to feel pretty nervous-especially over the ocean swim. Just gotta relax. I'm hoping to break 6 hours with a 5:30 goal if everything goes right!

Oh yeah and make sure to have a couple of beers after the race!!  

2009-05-05 8:35 AM

User image

Boston, MA
Hi Mango!

I want to start by saying I am uber excited for this mentor stuff for triathlons! 

Awesome!  It's great to have your expertise and enthusiasm.

What does your typical training week look like? Where do you feel you need the most work in triathlon? Are you signed up for any races for this year? Do you have a training plan? What are your goals? 

I try to do each of the three sports 2x a week.  Mondays or Wed I usually do a brick--either a swim-bike or bike run but not the full distance.  So a typical week might look like this:
M-swim/bike or swim run
T-weights/abs/core
W-run (or bike/run brick if I didn't do one Monday)
Th-weights/core
F-swim
Sat-run or rest
Sun-bike

It's hard to say what I need the most help with--probably biking and swimming.  I have a swim coach who has worked with me on form, but I'm still really nervous about swimming the full distance.  I have my first semi-sprint on 5-17.  It's a 250 yd swim, 12 mile bike and 3 mi run.  Then I'm registered for 2 more in July that will have 1/4 mile swims.  I'm very new at this so I don't really have a training plan or goals except to cross the finish line   I read whatever I can--but feels like there is so much to learn.  A longer term goal for next season would be to do an Olympic distance but I need a lot of work.  I guess my short term goals are to beef up my lung capacity and tolerance.

Thanks for your help and support.

Best,
Marie

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. A swim coach is very good. hopefully it will help you with your nerves and also your form. Is the sprint tri's in a lake or a pool? The starts of a lake tri start are very hectic. I would start in the back and try to stay away form people for the first time.

As for the bike, are you adding some speed training into your schedule. I would say once a week add a tempo ride or a ride with a couple min. of sprints mixed into the workout. I hope this will help with your triathlon later in the season.

Make sure to post your race report on the forum. We would love to know how you do. Also if any questions just post them.

-Mango

2009-05-05 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2108129

New user

Hull, MA
HI,this has nothing to do with Triathlon...I spent the last 3.5 yrs in Portsmouth...LOVE IT.  Someday I hope I can move back but MA is where the job was.

Diane
2009-05-05 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2123373

New user

Hull, MA
I had trouble navigating the USAT site.  So  put my computer in for its well OVER DUE tune up.

I did check out the Hanover MA YMCA...place is Gorgeous, I am signing up.  They have two pools one is for lap swimming and training only the other is the kids..yeah!!

I also found another Sprint in September the Fantastic Nantasket.  It is a week later than the Duxbury.  The swim is 1/4 mile rather than 1/2, swim is my weakest so I am more comfortable with this.  But the offset is that you run on the beach, packed sand but still sand.

I am hoping I will find a coach at the Y.  My goal is to have my trianing plan in place by the end of this week, thus giving me over 4 mos to train for the event.

At this point Iam sure I will have lots more questions,

Thanks,
Diane
2009-05-05 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2130617

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olive Branch, MS
mangorunner123 - 2009-05-05 7:46 AM

Just remember that your one main objective this week is to relax. All of the benefits from training happened a couple of weeks ago. You need to make sure your muscles are full of glycogen. DO NOT carbo load. If you keep eating like you were during your peak training you will do perfect. The decrease in physical activity and the food your taking in normally will do great. 

Is the swim a shore start or do you begin from a floating position?

What do you do to relax while your not training? Make sure to do that more often this week. I am sure you will do great!!

-Mango 

Beach start. Hoping for wetsuit legal as the water temps are hugging the line right now.
Thanks for the advice.
Oh, I'll have severall beers. Don't worry.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mango's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7