BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mango's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2009-06-11 7:25 AM
in reply to: #2205847

User image

Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Mango's Group - CLOSED
jgerbodegrant - 2009-06-09 3:57 PM Yeah...I ate the same thing I normally eat.  I had a bowl of kashi with milk and a banana.  You think the milk just isn't a good idea?  I never work out in the mornings, so maybe that's just it.  It seems obvious...just hope I'm not missing something.

The GI distress is different with every person. some people have iron stomach's and are able to eat right before they run and other people need to stop eating hours before a race. Remember a race is different than training because you are pushing yourself hard. The harder you push the harder it is for your body to digest food.

What I usually tell my athletes is to stop eating 2 hours before the race. I think that is a good starting point. Then they can tweek it away way their stomach can handle it.

-Mango 

2009-06-11 7:27 AM
in reply to: #2206491

User image

Boston, MA
Subject: RE: The results are in...
bkress - 2009-06-09 9:28 PM Hey everyone,

I completed my first Sprint Tri over the weekend. My results are posted at this link

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=163363

I was close to finishing at my goal of the top 100 and I believe that I was 25th in my age group which means I achieved my goal of top 30. I felt good about all aspects of the race, but was a little off my pace for the swim, but I made it up on the bike.

I also bruised my heel three days before the race and it hindered my ability to run with my normal stride. I was pleased with my time despite that hinderence.

I look forward to my next race. I love the competition and I learned some things that you can't learn no matter how many videos you look at or blogs and articles that you read.

Best to you all.

Brian

Brian,

Congrats dude!! That's awesome about your first race! I am glad you like our sport. You are absolutely right about experience is our best teacher. When is your next race?

-Mango 
2009-06-11 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2093570

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Brian,

Totally stoked for you dude!  My first tri is next weekend, the 20th.  I can't wait!  

So I did my first open water swims this week.  They went very well...AMAZING how the wetsuit helps you!  I can't seem to stop going right all the time though...have to work on that.

Yeah...in response to eating...I have a 10k this saturday.  I'm going to just get up at 7 and have half a bagel and see how that goes.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

JG 
2009-06-14 9:47 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Ran my 10K yesterday.  Even more proof that I am not a natural runner.  I got to mile 4 with no problem....about 34 minutes or so, then everything falls apart.

I am learning that patience is a huge part of running.  I started in January, had a stress fracture in my right shin.  Started up again after it healed in mid february to find out I am shin splint man of America, finally got into a bad way with limping on it and have only been able to run/jog once a week since a month ago.  The good news is that after yeserday I have no shin issues, but my peraformis (SP?) on both sides is sore as hell.

So the point of this random post is that if you are hurting and feeling like you are going nowhere, don't worry, you are not alone.  I just consider this mental struggle as the fifth discipline.  Hopefully this reaches someone...although I have a feeling like it's just the five of us that actually reads this forum now..haha.

Never give up.
2009-06-16 1:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth. TX
A couple of random things:

First, I did my first OWS tri this past weekend.  It was a mini sprint, just 400m swim, 11mi bike, 2mi run.  Having never swam in open water before (I was a competitive swimmer for 10 years), I'll be the first to say that it was a WHOLE different ballgame.  I wasn't very nervous about it going in since I'm pretty comfortable in the water, but 2 major observations: 1) sighting a bouy when you are swimming directly towards the rising sun is nearly impossible.  I relied on the 2 swimmers next to me, praying they knew where they were going.  2) Open water takes a lot more out of you than a pool swim.  I dont know if its fighting any current, breaking up your rhythm to sight or what, but I was more fatigued coming out of the water than I felt I should be.  It didn't help that I caught the wave ahead of me and had to weave in and out of some people floating on their back. 

Second, more of a question.  I have not been running much more than 10 miles a week.  I'll usually get two 4-6 mi runs in, maybe a shorter one off the bike on the weekend.  I am planning on/need to up the mileage in the coming months, but here's my question.  There is a 15k race in almost exactly a month.  Not that entry fees for runs are much, but my company will pay for this one.  I've run four or five 5ks in recent months, and have done decently well.  But can I realistically get ready for a 15k race in 4 short weeks?  I know I could probably go out and jog the distance tomorrow, but I want to be able to race it decently well.  Feasible? 
2009-06-17 10:16 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Dude...that's like totally one of those who the f knows kind of questions.  You'll just have to try it out.  Like I want to know why I can go out for a 20 mile bike ride and keep a 22 mph pace, but can't run a sub 25 min 5k.

2009-06-17 10:56 AM
in reply to: #2221928

User image

Boston, MA
Totally agree with the comment about the open water swim. sighting the buoy throws you whole stroke off which is why you should practice sighting in the pool. This can be done by bringing you head above the water looking forward and sighting the end. This will get you used to the action of lifting your head the way your not used to. 

second, You can easily finish a race that is double what an average daily milage is. the 15 K will be no problem. You will be able to finish but the question will be can you race it? You should incorporate some HARD running speed sessions into your week and also up your long run to at least 8 miles. If you want to race this I would take the day before off just to let your body to top off it's energy stores. 

Hope this helps. 

-Mango

whizzards23 - 2009-06-16 2:57 PM A couple of random things:

First, I did my first OWS tri this past weekend.  It was a mini sprint, just 400m swim, 11mi bike, 2mi run.  Having never swam in open water before (I was a competitive swimmer for 10 years), I'll be the first to say that it was a WHOLE different ballgame.  I wasn't very nervous about it going in since I'm pretty comfortable in the water, but 2 major observations: 1) sighting a bouy when you are swimming directly towards the rising sun is nearly impossible.  I relied on the 2 swimmers next to me, praying they knew where they were going.  2) Open water takes a lot more out of you than a pool swim.  I dont know if its fighting any current, breaking up your rhythm to sight or what, but I was more fatigued coming out of the water than I felt I should be.  It didn't help that I caught the wave ahead of me and had to weave in and out of some people floating on their back. 

Second, more of a question.  I have not been running much more than 10 miles a week.  I'll usually get two 4-6 mi runs in, maybe a shorter one off the bike on the weekend.  I am planning on/need to up the mileage in the coming months, but here's my question.  There is a 15k race in almost exactly a month.  Not that entry fees for runs are much, but my company will pay for this one.  I've run four or five 5ks in recent months, and have done decently well.  But can I realistically get ready for a 15k race in 4 short weeks?  I know I could probably go out and jog the distance tomorrow, but I want to be able to race it decently well.  Feasible? 
2009-06-17 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2224000

User image

Boston, MA
jgerbodegrant - 2009-06-17 11:16 AM Dude...that's like totally one of those who the f knows kind of questions.  You'll just have to try it out.  Like I want to know why I can go out for a 20 mile bike ride and keep a 22 mph pace, but can't run a sub 25 min 5k.

I think your answers lies within the questions. There are a couple of key characteristics for training, one is specificity. You will need to encorporte more running into your schedule to be a better runner. You might have to also add SPEED workouts to your training schedule. This will help you get those 5k's down. 

-Mango 
2009-06-17 11:02 AM

User image

Boston, MA
OK all! 

Lets discuss training tips. A tip that I can give is if you have a day in your week when you can not get an easy run in the time alloted because life getting in the way, replace that workout with a shorter distance (less time) and also a Harder effort.

-Mango 
2009-06-18 4:35 AM
in reply to: #2224195

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
mangorunner123 - 2009-06-17 12:02 PM OK all! 

Lets discuss training tips. A tip that I can give is if you have a day in your week when you can not get an easy run in the time alloted because life getting in the way, replace that workout with a shorter distance (less time) and also a Harder effort.

-Mango 

One thing I can offer up to this point is to remember to hydrate and replenish your body with electrolytes during the day, even when you're not training.  It lends to a faster recovery and easier afternoon workouts.  Oh and stretch.
2009-06-21 10:39 AM

User image

Boston, MA
OK who out there uses compression socks? I have been using them for about a year. I only use them for recovery. There has been some research done that shows they speed recovery so you are not as sore for your next training day. I am watching Ironman Coeur d'Alene today and I am noticing there are some people wearing them during racing. I can not find any research on the benefit of wearing the socks during exercise but the thought is that it decrease the amount of vibration the muscles take during the race. Does anyone use the compression socks during the race, that they can give us a first hand account how they work on race day?In the mean time buy a pair of compressions socks to recover better from your hard days and if you don't want to shell out $50 for a pair of socks you could just buy Grampa compression socks, they are just as good. Train Hard,Mango

2009-06-22 7:18 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Okay...finished first triathlon on Saturday.  What a blast.  I'm completely hooked!  Everyone had a great time!

Now, with that said, I got very cramped up on the run.  I am pretty sure it was within the first kilometer that I had a cramp from my right hip up to my right pectoral.  It hunched me right over by the 3 km mark and I had to walk.  I felt great overall on the swim and the bike.  Had lots of energy after, so I was quite disappointed on the run.  Had I run my normal 5k time, I would have been very happy.  I got back to transition and realized I had only drank about a cup of fluid on the bike.  I assume that dehydration was the culprit of my cramp.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=165432
2009-06-22 7:21 AM
in reply to: #2231791

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
mangorunner123 - 2009-06-21 11:39 AM OK who out there uses compression socks? I have been using them for about a year. I only use them for recovery. There has been some research done that shows they speed recovery so you are not as sore for your next training day. I am watching Ironman Coeur d'Alene today and I am noticing there are some people wearing them during racing. I can not find any research on the benefit of wearing the socks during exercise but the thought is that it decrease the amount of vibration the muscles take during the race. Does anyone use the compression socks during the race, that they can give us a first hand account how they work on race day?In the mean time buy a pair of compressions socks to recover better from your hard days and if you don't want to shell out $50 for a pair of socks you could just buy Grampa compression socks, they are just as good. Train Hard,Mango

I was thinking about trying them out....heard they help shin splints.  What brand are you using?  I heard zoot is the way to go for gradual compression and that skins are no good?
2009-06-23 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2233205

User image

Boston, MA

I was thinking about trying them out....heard they help shin splints.  What brand are you using?  I heard zoot is the way to go for gradual compression and that skins are no good?I have Zensah. I really like them. I use the compressions calve sleeves, I like them better than the full socks. They do help shin splints...actually one type of shin splints. There are two types of shin splints. One is a fracture of your tibia and the other is the inflammation of the anterior tibialis. The compression socks and more for the inflammation than the stress fracture. It won't hurt using it for both though. -Mango
2009-06-30 2:01 PM

User image

Boston, MA
What do all of you have planned for the 4th of July? I plan on waking up REALLY early and getting in a HARd brick workout. I find when I have parties to goto I know I will be eating some not so good stuff, So I kick my in training that day so I don't feel as guilty sucking down that cake. There might be no truth behind hard training and eating like a pig but it makes me feel better. 

-Mango 
2009-07-01 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2253715

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth. TX

I'm right there with you.  Plan on gettin a couple hour ride in, followed by a moderate run.  Hopefully all done by 9:30 or 10am (not real early, but trying to beat some of the heat here in Texas).  With 2.5 hours of exercising, maybe then I can justify a couple of hot dogs and more than a few beers...

2009-07-07 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2255589

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
So I'm looking for a tri bike because I have been borrowing a friends.  I don't know much about Kuota, but they seem like a sweet setup for the money.  Any of you guys ride one or know anything about it?
2009-07-07 10:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth. TX

I've never ridden one, but for what its worth, I've got a buddy who is a pro on the ITU circuit, and I know he rode a Kuota TT bike for quite a while.  I think he liked it a lot.  And I saw an article a while back, I think Kuota had the 2nd or 3rd most bikes at the Kona IM, behind Cervelo...

2009-07-08 1:38 PM
in reply to: #2267219

User image

Boston, MA
I find that Cervelo has some really great deals and they really are high quality bikes. They have great customer support and it was in the price range I was looking in. Now, I can think of other bike that are higher end than my P2SL but the price is more. Where is your price range? 
2009-07-09 6:04 AM
in reply to: #2270714

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
mangorunner123 - 2009-07-08 2:38 PM I find that Cervelo has some really great deals and they really are high quality bikes. They have great customer support and it was in the price range I was looking in. Now, I can think of other bike that are higher end than my P2SL but the price is more. Where is your price range? 

To tell you the truth, my price range can go up to $4000 if I know the bike is the one I should be getting for my skill level/price/material/comfort etc.  I just want the best bang for my buck without completely blowing the bank, ya know what I mean?  I am also only interested in full carbon bikes right now.
2009-07-17 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth. TX
Tryin to get this thing more lively...

Any luck on the bike shopping?  Progress?  Researching?  Taking your time? 

2009-07-20 7:36 AM
in reply to: #2291886

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
whizzards23 - 2009-07-17 12:26 PM Tryin to get this thing more lively...

Any luck on the bike shopping?  Progress?  Researching?  Taking your time? 

What's up whizz...yeah, taking my time I guess.  I only have one more race scheduled for this year, so I may just do it on my road bike.  Maybe the winter will hold some big sales for me???  I am still looking at the Kuota, but I don't want to get in over my head.  I can probably afford the middle of the road bike, but being a beginner, I'm not sure it will make a difference for the money.  Any thoughts?
2009-07-22 12:32 PM

User image

Boston, MA
I think if you were to hold off until winter the bike sales will be a lot better. Just think, starting the season off with a brand new bike rather than half way through the season switching bikes. 

-Mango

2009-07-22 8:06 PM
in reply to: #2301820

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
mangorunner123 - 2009-07-22 1:32 PMI think if you were to hold off until winter the bike sales will be a lot better. Just think, starting the season off with a brand new bike rather than half way through the season switching bikes. 

-Mango

That's a smart idea....where should I go in the boston area to look?
2009-08-03 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth. TX
(Crickets...)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mango's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7