Set-up, Inc
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 50m 20s
Overall Rank = 193/283
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 36/48
Pre-race routine:

found a tick on a sensitive area the night before so sleep was definitely not optimal since I wasn't able to get all of it out. I got up around 0600, coffee, and 2 peanut butter toasts at 0700.
Event warmup:

some easy runs along the transition areas Hammer gel around 0940 while putting on wet suit. I got in the water slowly so as to not shock the body. Swam around a little bit, etc.
Swim
  • 30m 26s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

I actually had to stand up and wade for about a 100 yards going out to the first mark, which was probably slower than swimming, but it gave me a chance to fix a nagging goggle leakage problem. I think I need to switch them out. It was an okay swim, and I was able to draft a little bit at several points. I definitely took the straight a ways a little wide. About 15 minutes into, it started to become difficult to catch a full breath; maybe just an artifact of not getting into the wet suit fully or just first race of the season jitters.
And stupid power boats kept sending in wakes; that was a PITA! It was a decent swim time wise; it's a little slower than average pool swims. For that pace I would have expected it be an easy swim, but it was tough.
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

I felt like throwing up when I got to the bike. The wetsuit took a few extra seconds to get out of. I had the top around my waist and my cap and goggles off by the time I got to the bike. I also put on race belt in T1 for the first time since I wanted to carry a gel.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 16s
  • 24 miles
  • 18.17 mile/hr
Comments:

It took a couple minutes to get situated into the shoes, but it is definitely better getting into bike shoes at 16 mph vs standing still. I tried taking the first 5 miles easy. The plan was to negative split it, which I did by about a minute or so. The compact crankset is awesome; I like the gearing even with the OEM cassette. The HR indicates a relatively easy effort compared to past races, and the pace was slower. The effort felt a lot higher though.
I had 300 cal of HEED in one bottle and another bottle with only water, which I don't think I drank enough of. I almost got through the nutrition bottle but only about half of the water; not good. The bike tire is still not seated well, which causes a wicked shimmy at 20+. I also kept get hitting by bugs. Two times I ran off the side of the road but was able to hop back up onto the road surface; not good. A gel was consumed with 3 miles to go.
What would you do differently?:

T-I-T-S! I think this is the longest outdoor ride all year. No wonder it sucked. I knew I wasn't good for much more than 18 mph average anyway given the circumstances.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Good transition. I got out of shoes after last turn at the top of the little hill. The left one came unclipped, which I thought was going to be a problem since that is the side I stand on when dismounting, but it was okay. I did have to stop to pick it up once off the bike. Bike racked, shoes/socks on and gone.
Run
  • 57m 35s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

First mile was way too fast, but I remember actually feeling okay; probably the gel from the bike kicking in. The section through the woods sucked; it was nice and shaded but the footing is not good. I wanted to be around 9 min miles for the first couple of miles.
Total time for the first 5k was right where I wanted it, but I was dropping pace quick. The fourth mile did me in, and I knew I wasn't going to be able to get back down to 8 min miles. I did have a gel at the start of mile 4. My mouth was dry the whole time. The IT-band started to tighten up also; probably due to a little dehydration. The last two miles were terrible. The heat and sun took its toll on me big time.
What would you do differently?:

more water. walk a couple of the aid stations to get a full cup of water in me. I need to work on muscular endurance for sure. The cardio base is definitely there, but my leg muscles are tiring too quickly. More S.T. and bricks are needed.
Post race
Warm down:

got into the lake

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall, the transitions are good, the swimming is decent (for me) given those conditions. I need more time in the saddle and more bike-run bricks.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-03-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:26 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 30/48
Overall: 146/283
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Triangular and shallow
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:19:16 | 24 miles | 18.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 37/48
Overall: 217/283
Performance: Below average
HR: 166 / 176
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loops
Road:   Cadence: 90+
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:35 | 06.21 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 37/48
Overall: 194/283
Performance: Below average
mile markers may have a been just a tad off, but here it goes: 8:05 (175/176) 8:56 (174/177) 9:23 (174/177) 9:09 (173/177) 9:40 (175/177) 12:23 (176/180)
Course: HILLS; 3 turnarounds. Not a good course in my opinion. I do not like that many turnarounds.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-19 8:52 AM

User image

Veteran
King George, VA
Subject: Rumpass in Bumpass International

2009-04-19 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2095040

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Rumpass in Bumpass International

It was a rough but fun day out there.  Great job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rumpass in Bumpass International Rss Feed