General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oxford, Ohio
United States
Miami University Student Foundation
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 44s
Overall Rank = 498/588
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 49/57
Pre-race routine:

Packet pick-up started at 6:00 a.m. I woke up at 2:00 a.m. and left at 3:00 a.m. Before leaving, I ate a bowl of oatmeal and drank a cup of coffee.

When I got to the race site, I parked in the garage next to the TA, getting a spot right by the door. It was 5:25 a.m. I set my alarm for 5:55, grabbed my backpack to use as a pillow and tried to sleep, but just ended-up resting.

I went to pick up my packet and only had to wait 5 minutes. The only race number they were giving was a wrist strap to wear for all three events. That worked well for me because I had been wondering where to pin my number because I figured I'd be wearing more for the bike than the run, especially on top.

I went back to my SUV, got all things necessary for the race, found my corral and took the spot closest to the aisle. The early bird gets the worm.

I found a couple friends from the Cincy tri club and hung out with them for a few minutes. I put on my swim cap and goggles, took off my shoes and all clothes but my trisuit, and ran to the rec center entrance. It was in the upper thirties and I was freezing.

I then spotted the folks from BT who were doing the race and we all chatted until numbers started getting called.
Event warmup:

I did not get in the water or stretch. I was so nervous about freezing in T1, that I just let it consume me. I don't regret warming up in the water, but I do regret not going for a quick run and then stretching. During the run my calves started tightening and I had to stop 3 times to stretch.
Swim
  • 12m 58s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first indoor pool swim. This was also my first tri without noseclips. I had gone to a local store to see if they had any, as this is where I'd bought my last 2 pairs, but they were out. I wanted to wear them as a security blanket, but the truth is I really just don't need them anymore.

When I first got in, I had a shock because the water was so cold. After a few seconds I adjusted and got in my groove. During the second set of 50, doubt started creeping in, though it was just for a couple seconds. It seemed like I had so far to go. Then I told myself, "Oh, good grief, Lora! You swim this distance ALL the time in practice - SHUT UP!"

There wasn't a lot of backlog at the lanes and I managed to swim underneath the ropes with no problems. Almost at the end, I was right behind two breaststrokers and I was dying to pass them. Luckily, I was able to do that at the last 50 and made up for some lost time then.

I can't decide if I'm disappointed with my time or not. I typically do this distance in 10 or 11 minutes. However, when you consider that I was swimming with other people, had to slow down at times for them and that I had difficulty climbing out of the pool, I guess it's OK.

However, this was by far my best time/pace in the swim portion of a tri. I need to rejoice in that.
What would you do differently?:

I need to work on speed. I've managed to cut my swim time in half, but I need to chop it in half once again.

Maybe learn flip turns?
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

I probably spent too much time wiping off the dirt on my feet.

Do more tris to practice this more.
Bike
  • 56m
  • 12.74 miles
  • 13.65 mile/hr
Comments:

I had been warned about a very big hill, but when I saw it, I kept on telling myself to wake-up because surely I must've been in the middle of a nightmare. I was able to bike it about 1/3 of the way, but had to join the rest of the folks (everybody) who were walking it.

Roller coaster engineers for the Son of Beast must've used this hill as a model. It was that crazy!

At the bottom of another big hill, there was a volunteer and a law enforcement (LE) guy. The volunteer shouted, "On the outside of the cones." I thought, "OK," and I did...but apparently for only one set of cones. I passed the LE official and he kindly said, "Oops, you didn't go on the outside of THESE cones." Having lost my momentum, I slowed down to look at him. He said, "Oh, that's okay. Don't worry about it." I didn't have enough speed to shift gears at this point and I hope I didn't do any permanent damage to my bike. It made noises that didn't sound natural.

There were several areas where the course had a long, steady tough grade. I kept my head down so I couldn't see the end of the grade so I wouldn't get discouraged. I just biked to get through each moment. That really helped.

Several people passed me, but I also did my fair share of passing. I did have my best time on a 20K bike in a tri.

Though I currently train on nice rolling hills, I need to start riding the routes at home I've been avoiding because they're too hilly. I can't be a wimp about that anymore.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

At this point I have a pair of bike shoes to fit my pedals, but I haven't trained in them so I didn't race with them.

So, I biked in my running shoes. The only thing I had to do was to switch my bike helmet for a ball cap, take off my jacket and grab a bottle of water.

Nothing, really.
Run
  • 33m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

When I run at home, I train on hills. I'm sure nobody will believe me, but I'm slower on flats than I am on hills and this showed in my time.

Because I hadn't stretched before the race, I had to stop 3 times to stretch my calves, which added to my time. I walked a few seconds of it, as well, so I could drink out of my water bottle I'd brought along.

I feel safe in saying that I'm disappointed with my run time. I really could have pushed more at the end, but I didn't.

As I took off for and came back from the run, I passed the members of the Cincy tri club and the gang here on BT who were both cheering me on. That was just completely cool. I mean, really. That just meant a lot to me.

Train more on flat courses and stretch before the race starts.
Post race
Warm down:

A volunteer handed me a water bottle and I gladly took it. I didn't do much stretching, just kind of focused on my calves.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not doing speed drills for my swim, not training on bigger hills for my bike and not training on flats and doing speed drills for my run.

Event comments:

The race was very well organized and the location was beautiful. I love my Marshall University, but I gotta say, Miami has one of - if not the most - beautiful campuses I've ever seen.

It is important to note that in my first tri, I came in 207/217 overall and 40/42 in my AG. At the next tri, I came in 195/197 overall and 23/23 in my AG. So, considering I came in 498/585 overall and 49/56 in my AG at this race, I'm pretty pleased overall.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-10-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:58 | 437 yards | 02m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/57
Overall: 0/588
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: This was in a 50 yard indoor pool. You started at one end, swam that lane to the end, touched the wall with either your hands or feet (for flip turners), and swam under the lane rope into the next lane and repeated this 7 times. The lanes were nice and wide so you could really have 3 lines of swimmers in one lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:46
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:56:00 | 12.74 miles | 13.65 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: The beginning few miles were a little graded and had some rolling hills, but were decent. There were 2 huge mountains on the course and many people walked them. After and in between the mountains were some long, medium grade areas that were really tough. The ending 2 miles were nice and flat.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:36 | 03.11 miles | 10m 48s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: A very flat run through the campus of Miami University with several turns.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-04-21 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon

2009-04-21 12:13 PM
in reply to: #2099820

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: RE: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon
Great Job Lora. Those are some of the toughest hills I've seen on a bike course. Your times have really come down. It's easy to see you've spent time in the pool improving your swim. We'll see you in June at Alum Creek. Again, great job.
2009-04-21 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Thank you, thank you.

2009-04-21 2:47 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Congrats! I loved reading this as Miami is my alma mater and this was my first tri ever back in 2006 -- I remember those hills on the bike!
2009-04-21 3:20 PM

User image

Fayetteville, NC
Wow girl, great job!!! You've completed your first tri of the season! Just think, we've gained a lot of wisdom from our kickoff tris...now we know what to tweak for the June tri (we both have races that weekend, different locations). Smile  
2009-04-21 5:34 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

You got up WAY early. Good job. That swim really sounds interesting. So glad you got it all done and tackled the hills. Nice work.

2009-04-22 5:07 AM

GREAT JOB LORA!!!  BE PROUD OF YOURSELF!! I have not done one!
2009-04-22 5:53 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
The amount of improvement you have had over such a short time is astounding.

Great job on this race!
2009-04-22 6:06 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Great job, Lora!  You have really improved and you will only get better with your dedication.  Congrats on getting the first of the year out of the way and much more to come!
2009-04-22 8:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
The snake swim is pretty interesting and frustrating when you get behind someone you can't pass... In the snake swim I did you couldn't do flipturns, could you in this one? I would have been scared to try!

I bet you were glad you didn't have your bike shoes on for the walk up the Mt.

Congrats on this seasons first Tri!
2009-04-24 8:02 PM

User image

Regular
Western Massachussetts

Lora,

Excellent race report.  It was so informative and I really enjoyed reading it.   It has gotten me excited all over again for the Danskin Tri in July, which seems so far away. Congrats on your times and improvements. It seems like you had a lot of fun.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed