General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oxford, Ohio
United States
Miami University Student Foundation
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 49s
Overall Rank = 66/571
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/31
Pre-race routine:

I live about 52 minutes away. Woke up at 5AM. Ate 3 GUs, some Endurolytes, 2 cans of Ensure, Cytomax, Power Bars, Muscle Milk....just kidding I ate a big bowl of fruit loops. That has everything I need. Carbs and Colors.
Event warmup:

It was a weird set up. Never done a pool tri before. I went running for about 10 min. Then I striped down outside to my trishorts and naught else but goggles and headed inside. I swam an easy 200m in the big pretty pool.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 437 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

No time due to timing snafu. You walked along the pool deck, picked up your chip and strapped it on. The race director had said the clock starts when you pass the mat at pool side. I didnt realize that the "mat" was not by the pool. I strolled through the timing area not knowing I had started. I walked up to the pool edge and waited for a few moments and noticed no mat. I said oh crap and dove in. I passed a few folks, got passed by one. Nice wide lanes, no issues at the wall. Seed yourself high enough I guess and you dont run into lots of people at the wall. Got up and out with no issue at the end and did my chilly run outside.
What would you do differently?:

Get in after passing the timing mat.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No T times bc of timing snafu. It felt nice. I had practiced this before but this was the first on this bike. I bike and run with socks so that takes time.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 12.74 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

no time due to timing snafu. First race on my new bike. Second time ever out on the road with my new bike. What a better place to learn? The first hill was pretty tough but was able to handle it with just a modicum of discomfort. Pretty hilly with few flat portions. Got passed by a couple bikers and I passed more than passed me. That is a big change from last year. Although my MPH probably wasnt spectactular the results were solid as the top biking MPH out of the whole field was only 21 ish. I felt good I didnt die and I passed people.

Not much.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

practiced this. got feet out of shoes about .5 mile out and dropped the resistance to get the cadence up. Did a fabulous flying dismount. I am pretty sure I didnt look like the dork I normally am when practicing. Ran in socks to my rack. The only issue I had was the ground was pretty wet from the swimmers and pretty gravelly. I had wet socks with rocks for my run.

levitate to my rack
Run
  • 21m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

This is the only area where I got a split time other than total time due to timing snafus. Felt a little leaden coming off the bike. My feet and toes didnt feel good cause they got wet and rocky in transition. Didnt get passed by anyone and ran quite a few folks down. Had a good last .25 mile and did not feel winded at the end. Guess I could have gone faster.
Post race
Warm down:

jogged for 5 minutes

Event comments:

I liked the set up. The pool was nice. It was nice not to have to worry about bib numbers. I beat my primary goal (setting an overall PR) by three minutes. I placed pretty well. My run was my fastest and it didnt hurt at all. The bike performed well. The split issue is irritating but I will get over it. It was nice to race without a watch. I think I prefer wave starts because there was jsut 50 seconds separating places 4-8. Just because no one is in front of you doesnt mean no one is in front of you.

Last updated: 2009-02-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 437 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/571
Performance: Good
Suit: Brooks Borthers with matching Tie
Course: 400m in 8 lane 50m length pool. Serpentine through all the lanes.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Shot
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 12.74 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: A fairly hilly twisty county road loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:12 | 03.11 miles | 06m 49s  min/mile
Course: paved sidewalks twisting through campus. Kinda narrow at points
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-23 2:18 PM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon

2009-04-23 4:57 PM
in reply to: #2105988

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: RE: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon
Congrats on the PR!!!  Glad the new bike performed well for ya.  Yeah, I was reading your pre-race eating routine and was totally like what the crap?  Very relieved you were joking!
2009-04-23 9:19 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
Carbs and colors- LOVE IT!

See you at the next race!
2009-04-23 10:34 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
I love the google maps / gps age we live in

"I live about 52 minutes away"

when I was your age we just said about an hour - maybe about 50 minutes

maybe once highways are all automated we will say things like "I live about 52 minutes and 21 secs  away"

OK so anyway THANKS for posting your race report.  Glad to meet you there.

Oh you were one of the divers.  They announced after the first few divers that you weren't allowed to dive.  Man, I shouldda gone earlier.

good choice on the socks - my feet took half a mile to thaw on the  run.

good luck with levitation
2009-04-24 6:15 AM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
I just read a book where one of the characters actually detested using flat time estimates (I know it is weird) but if you think about it 50 min is just as arbitrary as 52 minutes. I didnt GPS/mapquest it. Try it, it really makes people stop in their track. Next time someone asks you to meet for lunch suggest that you meet at 12:03 instead of the expected 12:00 and see what they say
2009-04-24 6:40 AM
in reply to: #2107241

User image

Master
Ohio
Nice race out there, very solid run. Remind me again what kind of bike you ended up with.

2009-04-24 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2107241

User image

Expert
Columbus
bananatoes - 2009-04-24 7:15 AM ...t if you think about it 50 min is just as arbitrary as 52 minutes. I didnt GPS/mapquest it. Try it, it really makes people stop in their track. ...

True - It made me comment Tongue out 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed