General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 32s
Overall Rank = 100/472
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 17/52
Pre-race routine:

Anticipating my 1st triathlon, I was glad the day was finally here! I got butterflies in my stomach every time I thought about the race for the past week! Got up around 4:00, ate a light breakfast, showered and packed all my gear. We left the house around 5:00 and got to the park right after 6:00. Right after arriving, my wife, Brian, and I went down to the transition area to get a good spot on the rack. I must be doing something right because my rack ended up being right on the end, center aisle, right next to the bike enter/exit...sweet! This put me in a great mood knowing it would make the transitions easier.
Event warmup:

After setting up the transition area, I ran around the parking lot for a few minutes and did some light stretching. I then put my wetsuit on and made my way down to the lake. I swam for a few minutes and practiced gliding, breathing, and sighting. At this point, I definitely had the pre-race jitters. We then met up with a few others from the Atlanta Triathlon Club and exchanged a few last-minute tips and encouragement. I then moved toward the swim start and watched the first wave (20's males) start.
Swim
  • 11m 7s
  • 656 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

The wait between the 1st wave start and mine seemed like an hour, although it was only 3 minutes! I decided it was probably smarter for me to not battle for position so I moved over to the far right side of line about 3 rows back. When we started, I jumped into a little patch of clear water as was off. There was a fair amount of jockeying for position over the first 250 meters or so, but I avoided any hard kicks to the head. I probably did not swim very good tangents, but felt pretty good about the lines I chose. I did overswim the first buoy and so I ended up rounding it pretty wide.

After passing the 1st buoy I was in a pretty good rhythm, though any thoughts of bilateral breathing were out the window today...my heart rate was going far too fast and I needed to be breathing as frequently as possible. I starting passing the blue caps of the swimmers that started in the previous waves, so I figured I was keeping a decent pace. Though in a wetsuit, I still have a very hard time gauging my speed due to the lack of feedback from the water.

I tried to keep a good, consistent pace for my strokes all the way to the shore. I swam as far as I could, then stood up and took my goggles, cap, and earplugs off. It was nice to hear and see all the spectators cheering everyone on. As I was jogging up to the transition area I knew my heart rate was pegged near my max...hopefully I didn't push it too hard on the swim!
What would you do differently?:

Practice OWS more often. My sighting could use some work as well as my overall pacing. I have no idea how fast I'm going when I wear a wetsuit. Also, I'm not sure if my spiked heart rate was a factor of pushing my pace too hard or just race day excitement, but I need to control it better in the next race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

T1 felt like a blur. It took me longer than I expected to take my wetsuit bib off. My top came off easily, but the bibs got a little stuck on my heels. Although, I think the extra help on the swim more than made up for the lost time taking the wetsuit off. Other than that, nothing else took very long. I did put socks on, but I think that's gonna be a given for me.

I really did not practice my transitions, so a little practice should go a long way. Also, I may try putting more body glide on the wetsuit to make it easier coming off.
Bike
  • 33m 39s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 19.97 mile/hr
Comments:

As I got on the bike, I thought to myself "ok, now my heart rate should come back down". But no! My heart had other plans today! The first portion of the bike course was a slight incline, followed by some nice rollers. Once I got to the rollers, I put the hammer down! This part was really alot of fun. I looked down at my Garmin on one downhill and it said I was going 38 mph...awesome! I tried to go as fast as I possibly could over this section because I knew there were some hills ahead. I passed a half dozen or so riders and was feeling good about the ride.

Around the middle of the course, there were a few relatively steep hills (definitely steeper than the Silver Comet Trail!). On the 2nd climb, I tried to downshift into my granny gears when my chain popped off! This had never happened in training (maybe, I need to climb more often!), but I think I handled it pretty well. I had to pull over to the grass, get off the bike, and pull the chain back on the ring. Then I had a little trouble getting moving on the hill, but finally got back going. I think it probably only cost me 30 or so seconds total, but it was disappointing at the time. I tried to shake it off and keep pushing.

I rode the rest of the course fairly hard, although I was passed by a huge number of riders! My legs felt pretty tired, but I was glad to be finished with this section.

RIDE MORE OFTEN! I feel like this is probably my weakest leg right now. I just gotta get used to riding fast and pushing the pace. Also, I need to work on cornering and mounting/dismounting the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

This would've been a fantastic transition. I had no problems racking the bike or getting my bike shoes off/running shoes on. My problem was that I took off running w/out my Garmin (it was strapped to the bike). Luckily, I had only run 20-25 yds or so, but I had to turn around and run back and then take the watch off the bike. All in all, in probably cost me 20 seconds or so. No big deal, I know, but 20 seconds is 20 seconds!

I need to set up a quick release band on my bike so I can quickly move the Garmin from bike to wrist. Other than that, T2 was great.
Run
  • 21m 52s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

As I started the run, I could feel my legs were not fresh. I could also feel, and see on my GPS, that my heart rate was still in the mood to preoccupy me. My plan was to start at a 7:00/mile pace and gradually work down to 6:30/mile, but I knew this was not gonna happen. I decided to run more on feel than pace for the 1st mile. Surprisingly, I ended up around my 7:00/mile pace.

From then on, the rest of the race was simply a gut check! There were a few hills that really ticked me off, because I knew they were sucking every last bit of final stretch kick out of my legs! I don't know what the temperature was at this point in the race, but it started to feel like 90 degrees outside. A couple of times, I had that evil little voice telling me it would be ok to stop and walk for a while...that's why I wear an ipod during road races! Thankfully I kept running until the end, although I had ZERO kick left in me and so I just cruised through the finish line. I was just happy to be done with the pain and excited to see how I finished.

I think my pacing was fine. The things I would change all happened before the run (easier pace on swim/better swim fitness, better bike fitness). I probably need to do more, and longer bricks. All things considered, I was happy with my run time...although I've got a sub 21 min 5k in me next time!
Post race
Warm down:

After the race, I had a great time catching with all the ATC racers and spectators. We spent some time under a tent where I had a gatorade and a ice cold Yuengling (many thanks to whoever brought the beers). I walked around for a bit and stretched off and on for the next hour of so.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Obviously, anytime you do something for the 1st time it won't be perfect. I think my pacing on the swim may have been a little aggressive as I never was able to calm my HR down. Other than that, a few minor things here and there lost me a few seconds, but nothing major. Right now, the only thing limiting my performance is simply fitness. I think I've built a good base in the 3 sports now...now I need to start training a little harder and especially more disciplined. I have not followed a very strict training plan, but probably will now. I can't wait for the next race!

Event comments:

I had a blast! The race seemed to run very smoothly. I hope all my future races go this well. Thanks to all the organizers and volunteers for pulling off a wonderful race!

Last updated: 2009-02-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:07 | 656 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/52
Overall: 0/472
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:33:39 | 11.2 miles | 19.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/52
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:52 | 03.1 miles | 07m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/52
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-04-26 1:21 PM

User image

Smyrna
Subject: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park

2009-04-26 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2111010

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park
You did an awesome job, babe! You were so fast and its only onwards and upwards....!!
2009-04-26 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

Good job on your first tri!  On your chain coming off, remember to just shift into your big chain ring and keep pedaling...it will jump right back on.  You will not have to get off the bike.  By the way, I think most people have the high HR thing on the first few swims.  It will be different next time. Strong as garlic on the run!

Congrats on a fantastic start to your new hobby.

2009-04-26 8:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
What a great first tri! It's taken me four seasons to get to where you are at now.

I look forward to reading your future race reports.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed