St. Petersburg, Florida
United States
St. Anthony's Triathlon
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3, ate showered shaved, did a last minute check of the transition bag and was out the door by 4:30. Got to the race site around 5:15- husband dropped me off as close as he could get me and then went to find parking. He wins a saint award for the day.

After that, look at the water and freak out and then freak out some more. Around 5:45 they announced that the age groupers wouldn't be swimming due to the water conditions. At first I was pissed, but then the relief set in and I started gearing myself up for a solid duathlon.
Event warmup:

Walking all over east Jesus getting the transition area set up.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1640 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

No swim due to water conditions.
What would you do differently?:

Uh, theorhetically swim I guess. :)
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

So we ended up doing a time trial start and they let us wear anything we wanted into T1. So I already had on cycling shoes, race number and helmet. The reason it took so damn long is because the transition area is the size of a football field and I was at the farthest point from the entrance possible. :)

Nada. I wish I coudl come into T1 with cycling shoes and helmet on every time... lol
Bike
  • 1h 31m 23s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.32 mile/hr
Comments:

Holy technical bike course batman. Lots of people warned me of that, but I don't know that I was as prepared as I could be. I have a tendancy to not do so well on the turns, espeically the U turns, and pretty much always crash. I practiced a lot on the bike prior to the race, and it really paid off. Not only did I not crash on the turns, I didn't crash dismounting either. AND I passed a bunch of people on the bike.

All that being said, the course was less than great. We rode over cobblestone for a portion, on really rough a*s massaging road for a portion, thru a neighborhood that had "speed humps" where I witnessed several people hit them too fast and go down.

There was a strong wind, but for the most part when we were int he worst of the headwind we were on a slight downhill, so that was nice.

There were a ton of people on the tiny course and I saw more drafting than I have ever seen in any race before. I guess when you cram something like 5000 people on to a 25 mile stretch of road, it's going to happen. I tried my best not to draft, but found that I actually had to stop pedaling and hit the brake at times when someone would pass me and then promptly cut me off and slow down.

All in all though, I was extremely happy with the bike. Came off it feeling strong and ready to run.

More body glide on my chamois. That's all I care to share about that little detail.
Transition 2
  • 03m 54s
Comments:

Legs didn't want to work at first off the bike. And since the transition area is huge, that was hard. I ended up not being able to run much with the bike, so it took me forever to get there.

Probably nothing, I was flying high on adrenaline.
Run
  • 1h 22m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 13m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was awesome. The course was beautiful, through all these amazing St. Pete neighborhoods. It was an out and back, so the entire time you had people around you, cheering you on and encouraging you.

It was hot as balls, as it was getting close to 11 or noon by now, so I took to drinking a swig of gatorade, two swigs of water, and then dumping a cup of water over my head at evey aid station. Seemed to work with keeping me cool and hydrated, but my stomach went into freak out mode around mile 3 from the Gatorade.

First two miles were slow- 15 minute walk/run pace. Next two miles were pretty solid, around a 12 minute pace. Mile 5 was mostly walking while I was trying to get my stomach to calm down, then I picked it up for the last of the race.

Met lots of fun people and talked to anyone who would listen around the way. I definately could have pushed harder, but I didn't want to shat myself, so I just enjoyed the ride.

I know better than to drink Gatorade... so I would have not done that.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line and met my husband and parents. We retrieved my bike and walked to the car (over a mile away!) and then went to lunch. Best part of my warmdown? Bloody Marys. Mmmmm.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I know I could have trained more but honestly, I was pleased with my time.

Last updated: 2008-12-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1640 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:31:23 | 24.85 miles | 16.32 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Technical, lots of turns, one full U turn and one roundabout dealie
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:54
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:22:08 | 06.21 miles | 13m 14s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-04-27 8:25 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2009-04-27 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2112365

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon

Good job...what a bizzarre day huh?

2009-04-27 10:28 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Hurray for after race drinks. Nice job and glad you had a good time.
2009-04-28 11:16 AM

User image

Regular
Tampa, FL
Great job Nicole, glad you had fun, wish we could have swam, but it was a good decision. Had a few beers myself after the race then packd up and went home.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed