West Deptford RiverWinds
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 31s
Overall Rank = 22/138
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Nicole stayed overnight at the in-laws so got up, ran through the shower to wake me up a bit and went and picked up my Dad. Stopped with him to get a bagel like we always do and shot down to the race site.
Event warmup:

Not much. Hooked up with my relay partners, got registered and racked and just marveled at the awesome facilities/pool of the country club the race was held at. Watched Sue swim about 10 of her lengths and then went and got in position with my bike so she'd just have to strap the chip on my ankle and I could be off.
Swim
  • 05m 33s
  • 375 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

I didn't do the swim portion but the indoor pool was SWEET!!!!!
Transition 1
  • 00m 21s
Comments:

Struggled mightily getting my left foot clipped in. Definitely wasted 15 to 30 seconds probably.
What would you do differently?:

More practice with the clip ins as I've only been in them a few times.
Bike
  • 46m 28s
  • 14.3 miles
  • 18.46 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal was to hit about 43 minutes. I was doing good and under that through the 6 mile marker (17:23) when my legs started to fade and I struggled on the inclines to maintain speed. I don't know if I went out to fast or if the heat had an affect but I was noticeably slower the second half of the race. So much so that I went from 40 seconds ahead of pace to almost 4 minutes over.

More rides on the bike in preparation and more hard rides where I push myself more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 34s
Comments:

Jumped off bike and saw Jay waiting to take off running so I ran up to him. He ripped off the timing chip, put it on himself and took off.

Nothing. Can't do much better in reality.
Run
  • 22m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't do the run portion, though I was tempted to run with Jay for as long as I could keep up. Wasn't sure the organizers would like that so I ditched the idea. By the time the run was started it was flat out hot and near 90 degrees. Everyone was suffering as they came on home.
Post race
Warm down:

I stretched out my legs a bit, found Sue and congratulated her on her 1st foray into Tri's (she's now hooked and may do another relay and a teammate based race in September in PA) and waited for Jay. I knew he wanted under 22 minutes so went over to the finish line at about 18 minutes. On the way over my friend Jared was coming out of the bike transition onto the run so wished him well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough time outside on the bike and not pushing myself hard enough in training either.

Event comments:

Was impressed by the race as I know they had issues last year (their 1st). The bike course was very well marked and had great volunteers to make sure you were on the right track. They should probably do a better job of keeping the transition area clean. Since it was an indoor swim there were people coming in off the bike for quite awhile after others finished and it was pretty cluttered at times for the folks trying to get out on their run.

Last updated: 2009-02-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:33 | 375 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/138
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Indoor pool
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:21
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:46:28 | 14.3 miles | 18.46 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Lots of gradual ups and downs with not a single big hill. Pretty smooth and other than one misleading sign very well managed.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:36 | 03.11 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Flat.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-27 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: West Deptford Riverwinds Tri

2009-04-27 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2112588

User image

Subject: RE: West Deptford Riverwinds Tri
Great job on the bike!  I really liked the bike course overall.  I agree with you on the run - it was hot at that point and not at all shaded.  I guess I'll "see" you again at the NJ State Sprint since we seem to be doing the same races?
2009-04-28 1:51 AM
in reply to: #2112588

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Subject: RE: West Deptford Riverwinds Tri
Nice Job, Bob!!  I know its hard when you don't meet your own set goal but you did awesome!  This just gives you more to focus on in training, huh?!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » West Deptford Riverwinds Tri Rss Feed