General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Time Limits on Sprint Tri's Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-28 2:28 PM

Subject: Time Limits on Sprint Tri's

I have registered for my first sprint tri on May 31st - Cascade Lake in Hampstead, MD.  I'm 5'2", about 240 lbs, and brand new at this (been training since the start of the year) so needless to say I expect to be waaaayyyy at the back of the pack, if I don't entirely lose sight of them!  My goal at this point is simply to finish the race, but I'm concerned about the timing.  For this race, last year's slowest entrant finished in just under 3 hours.  Based on my current times (and the fact that the bike portion of this one is very hilly, which I hadn't realized when I signed up), I will probably take 3-1/2 to 4 hours to finish.  The race details say the transition area closes at 9am.  I'm sure it will be after 10am before I make it back on my bike.  So two questions: 1) What happens to your gear if you don't get back before the area closes; and 2) Is there a point at which they stop officially timing you?  Am I crazy for attempting this at all?  Okay, I guess that's actually 3 questions.  Any feedback would be much appreciated.

2009-04-28 5:55 PM
in reply to: #2116233

User image

Expert
Montana
Subject: RE: Time Limits on Sprint Tri's
I can only answer your last question.

No! You are not crazy for doing this.

The rest of the questions you should ask the race director.
2009-04-28 6:04 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Welcome!

I will answer your last question first.  You are NOT crazy to try this!  Good for you to do it!

OK, as for your gear.  No matter what, is safe...  It will be secure in the transition area.  They don't toss it out! 

The other question is a little harder to answer.  I guess I have never seen a Sprint that has cutoff limits, but not to say that it doesn't happen.

I'm a little nervous, that if they close the transition area at 9:00, that is a bike cutoff time and they won't let you run (officially).  I reviewed the last years times, and the it looks like the last place person still came in just at, or about 2 minutes after 9:00 (assuming the same start time.)

You may still be able to finish, but you might not get an official time.

Your best best it to email or call the RD and see what they say.

Good luck!
2009-04-28 7:23 PM

Thanks for the feedback.  I have seen some sprints that list a time-limit in the description, but other than the transition closing time, there is no specific end time noted on the website for Cascade.  I actually emailed the race Director over the weekend but have yet to get a response.  I have two good friends who are also doing the race.  One is doing it for a time, so worst case she will be able to gather my gear and take my bike when I finish that leg.  I have another friend who has graciously offered to do the race with me, at my pace, so at least I won't be alone. I hope to get an official time, but as long as someone doesn't say, "Sorry, you need to leave now" before I get to do the run (which is mostly on a public road), I'll be satisfied because I can time myself.  Thanks again for the feedback and support.

Trish

2009-05-15 7:02 AM

User image

New user
All I can say is that your adrenalin will most likely kick in and you will be surprised at how well you will do in this event. I my self am doing my first tri in september and have the same worries , but i have done some other running and biking activities. I have always ridin faster and ran better with a group . Solo I ride 17avg with a group or someone to chase I can avg 20-24 for 20+miles guess I hate beeing behind someone Smile. Goodluck and I hope you have a great swim, ride,and run
2009-05-15 8:36 AM

User image

Champion
SoCal
I don't have anything to add to your question but I just wanted to say good luck!!!

I have my first Tri next month.

2009-05-15 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
I don't have anything useful to add other than kudos to you for signing up and doing the race!
2009-05-15 4:46 PM

User image

Veteran

I'm no "Pro" but in the few events I've done, when it was stated the the "transitions area closes at X" it was reffering to the latest time a person would be allowed to eneter the area to "Set up" their gear. Is this possibly what they are talking about?

2009-05-15 8:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Reston, VA

I'm a slow fat triathlete (please read the book by the same name!) who, after 5 years in the sport, still usually finishes last. Fact is, I still finish. While I wish I was faster (and am on the Weight Watchers points Program to help), I still get out there.

My advice, if you want it:

(1) take your friend up on the offer to go with you

(2) during the run with your friend, DO NOT TALK. Focus on pushing forward.

(3) don't bug the race director. Let your performance prove your credibility.

(4) HAVE FUN! That's why you're doing this in the first place.

Let us know how it goes.

2009-05-15 9:25 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
It would help if you logged your workouts on BT so we can see what you have done workout wise.  I think you will surprise yourself.
2009-05-17 10:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
Looking at the race site it shows that the "Post race party/awards" start at 9:00 am. So this tells me that the race is done at that time. It seems strange that a race would only give an hour and a half from the time of the last wave start to the posting of times. It's not a long race but come on, that's not much time.
I'm not fast but I think I could pull that race off in about 1:25. So that would put me really close to the cut off. I think the info on the site is not right.

Either way, get out there and do your best.

2009-05-17 4:00 PM

User image

Denver,CO
I did my first Sprint Tri last year. It took me 3 hours with chain coming off, etc. Loads of fun.

I was not last. I was like 200 from last. I was happy. My goal was to cross the finish line and not be last. I finished and was not last. I was so happy.
2009-06-01 7:40 AM
in reply to: #2156140

Well, for whoever may be interested, the answer apears to be yes - at least for Piranha Sports events, there is a time limit.  I was able to finish the race "unofficially", but when I got back from the bike leg (which took 2 hr 1 min), I was told I could finish unofficially but would have to turn in my timing chip.  I completed the whole race in 3 hr 35 min and was just glad to actually finish.  The last official finisher, who got out of the water at the same time as me, finished the bike leg in 1 hr 46 min, so I feel like I was at least close to being "on the board". 

On Father's Day weekend, a friend of mine and I are signed up for the Baltimore 10-Miler on Saturday and the Assateague Sprint Tri on Sunday.  I'm torn between doing one or the other, or both. I was toast after the race yesterday but feel perfectly fine today after a good night's sleep.  The Assateague race is different in that the swim in open ocean rather than lake, which I've never done before.  Any thoughts as to how the swim will compare (easier/harder) for a down-current open ocean swim versus a lake.  I'm not what I'd call a strong swimmer but I'm a consistent swimmer - slow but steady, at least with no current.  The "plus" for me for Assateague is that the bike portion is flat, whereas Cascade was very hilly and I had to walk a lot of it.  Any words of wisdom from experienced competitors would be appreciated. 

Lastly, I still keep wondering if I'd be faster on a road bike versus a hybrid.  With my weight, it would probably make no difference, but I'm thinking less about the bike weight and more about the tires.  Would it help to get road bike tires for my hybrid, or would I be wasting my time.  Sorry if my question is repetitive from another thread, but I can't seem to get an answer that makes sense to me and I'm probably the least knowledgeable person on the planet about bikes. 

Thanks for any feedback. 

2009-06-01 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
Oakland, Fl
Trish....big congrats for doing the tri.  You are now a triathlete and no one can take that from you.  As for the races, keep practicing.  Do what you think is best.  I am not sure how to answer some of the questions, as I am a newbie myself and a big girl to boot.  As for the bikes...I was riding my mountain bike and knoby tires for the 1st race.  I had some good hills w/a 20mph headwind going up the hill.  Then I put road tires on the mountain bike and I picked up some speed.  I had the raod tires for my 2nd race and felt faster on the bike...enough so that i wasn't losing ground against my sister who was on a road bike.  This weekend I got my road bike and felt like I was flying.  I didnt have my computer to tell me anything but I tripled my distance for my "normal" ride and I averaged about 2mph faster then my normal average on my mountain bike...

Either way....have fun with it. 
2009-06-01 12:22 PM

Thanks.  It's great to hear from someone who's "been there, done that".  Decisions, decisions...

2009-06-01 4:14 PM
in reply to: #2155791

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
fsr402 - 2009-05-17 11:10 AM Looking at the race site it shows that the "Post race party/awards" start at 9:00 am. So this tells me that the race is done at that time. It seems strange that a race would only give an hour and a half from the time of the last wave start to the posting of times. It's not a long race but come on, that's not much time. I'm not fast but I think I could pull that race off in about 1:25. So that would put me really close to the cut off. I think the info on the site is not right. Either way, get out there and do your best.

First, congrats on finishing.

My background: I've been racing since 2005 and a USAT Race Official since 2007. 

Awards are typically given before all finishers are off the course.  I worked Danskin/Miami yesterday and the final finishers were coming in as folks were on the podium. 

Some races DO have time limits (ING Miami Marathon (I volunteered) and Escape to Miami (4 hours - I finished 20 minutes before the cut off) come immediately to mind.  These races are held in downtown Miami, and the Race Directors can't afford the city services to keep all intersections manned for closing beyond a certin time.  I do remember at ING they did announce people still on the course after the published cut off could continue, but the water stops were being pulled.  All the waterstops were manned by volunteers and maybe expecting them to hang in for "whatever many hours" it took for the last finisher to cross the finish line was a lot to ask of them.  Our day started at 6:30 am, and I drove home at around 2pm and saw people still walking the course.  At Escape, an Olympic Distance race that can be affected by extreme currents, you had X-amount of time to be A)  out of the water, B) off the bike and C)  finished with the run or they'd pull you/list you as DNF. 

I think you're doing a great thing by trying to 'tri.'  Just work into it; you'll get there.  Search this site for the questions you're asking; in addtion to getting lots of objectives, you'll get answers to questions you didn't know you had.  Good luck.  And if you race if Florida, race clean Wink.

Edited by foolproof 2009-06-01 4:20 PM

2009-06-01 4:28 PM
in reply to: #2185739

User image

Expert
Champaign Area, IL

nice job trish...some people might have given up if they knew it was not going to be a officially finish...I liked how you stuck with it and finished...that's what it is all about....well at least to me it is

yes you will be faster on a road bike...and yes you will be faster on thinner tires....the less tire you have contacting the road ...the less energy lost on friction

two races in the same weekend would kill my performance...if I were you I would pick one

2009-06-01 6:48 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Trish awesome job! First Tris are so exciting! I did my first one last summer myself.

And yes, I think I picked up a lot of speed when I switched from hybrid/dirtbike to road bike. So if you think you're going to continue interest in the sport I'd look into getting one eventually. If you think you might only do 1 or 2 more then it's probably not worth the expense. Maybe you can find a used one on craigslist or something?

2009-06-01 10:44 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
Yay you!  Congrats on your first event!

You will go faster on a road bike for several reasons- 1.) tiers are normally larger on a road bike.  Don't know what you are currently riding. 2.) More gears= more power.  How many gears do you have now?
2009-06-01 10:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Belleville
Congrats Trish,

I am doing my first tri this Sunday. I purchased an 80's model Schwinn Le Tour Luxe off Craigslist, and even this type of bike is amking a huge difference in my training. I paid $80 for it, and then spent another $100 on new rims and tires. Shop said I could probably sell the bike for $200 easy before the rim/tire upgrade. I have about a 3 mph increase in my speed and large incremental increases in distance. If you are interested enough to train and do more. I would look for something along those lines. It works for me at least. Plus, if I can stick with it I will get a Tri-Bike this winter, and keep this as my backup/commuter. If I was in proper shape I see no reason I could not maintain 20+ mph on this bike. Right now I am doing mid teens, before I was lucky to maintain 11 mph on the mountain bike. Well it was to small too though, so results may vary. Hope this helps and congrats again.

Ray
2009-06-06 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2188361

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.  I took the plunge and bought a road bike, a Specialized Vita Sport.  It's lower end but had everything I wanted - WSD, road tires, flat bars and 3 big gears (24-speed).  I took it out on my normal route today and averaged 3mph faster than with my hybrid.  I think I'm actually going to forgo both the Baltimore 10-Miler and Assateague Sprint Tri in favor of getting a bit more training in so I know I'll be able to "officially" finish the next race I do.  I'm looking at the sprint in Bear, DE in September.  It's a lake swim and a flat bike course.  Regardless, I plan to keep on training and keep in tri'ing.  :-)

2009-07-09 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2199026

New user
Trish,

I am not only proud of you, but also encouraged.  I, too, am a first timer, and at 6'4", 310, I am very nervous aout even finishing - regardless of the "official vs unoficial" standings. 

Until last week, I had not been on a "real" bike in over 15 years.  I rented a road bike from the local bike store (about $35 for the day), and road in my neighborhood.  It's SO different from the spin bike at the gym!!!  But like the old saying, my body picked it up again pretty quickly.

This thread has given me quite a bit of encouragement and has excited me to push even harder on race day.  Thank you for that.

Good luck on all of your future races, and I wish you continued success.

Jeff
2009-07-12 2:03 PM

User image

Regular
Surrey BC Canada

There are many sprints that are geared for first timers and do NOT have any cutoff times they are all over in my area and I would think there would be in your area too.  You will have a lot more fun in a non cutoff sprint than in a cutoff sprint IMO.  The first tri I did was non cutoff as in they would wait forever for you and keep everything open even if you were the only one on the course.

2009-07-12 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2155791

User image

Regular
Surrey BC Canada
fsr402 - 2009-05-17 10:10 AM Looking at the race site it shows that the "Post race party/awards" start at 9:00 am. So this tells me that the race is done at that time. It seems strange that a race would only give an hour and a half from the time of the last wave start to the posting of times. It's not a long race but come on, that's not much time. I'm not fast but I think I could pull that race off in about 1:25. So that would put me really close to the cut off. I think the info on the site is not right. Either way, get out there and do your best.

That sounds like insane cutoff times I would be cut off for sure and there were 30 behind me in my first tri I did 1:42 and my tri was a bit shorter.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Time Limits on Sprint Tri's Rss Feed