General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips - Little things you never think about Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2009-05-03 9:19 PM
in reply to: #2119416

User image

Subject: RE: Tips - Little things you never think about
Yeah, that would work too, but then the goggle straps pull my hair.  I'd rather double up the cap.  More comfortable

2009-05-03 10:45 PM
in reply to: #2127399

User image

Veteran
GA
Just like to say this thread is great. I thought of the balloon idea on my own, after a horrible T-1, and see that all kinds of people think of it.

My first tri was a sprint, and I wear glasses. I have excellent sport/driving prescription sunglasses that I wanted to wear for the bike and run, so I didn't wear contacts. Needless to say, I spent five minutes in T1 in panic mode, running back and forth until I finally found my bike. Now I'll buy a 24" pink balloon for my bike! My other idea was to lay my JAWS towel down in my transition zone. Nothing like a great white to tell you where your bike is!

The Google Map tip is great too!
2009-05-04 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2118251

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Swim until your hand touches the bottom.  Nothing like standing up with the water up to your waist (or higher) and having to slog through it.  Swim till your hand touches, stand up and walk or run right out.
2009-05-04 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
Niskayuna, New York

Practice dismounts! They are really easy once you do them a few times. In my first tri I felt so silly stopping my bike and getting off while people were zooming by me doing flying dismounts.

Great thread btw!

2009-05-04 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2127528

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
TRI-ing soldier - 2009-05-03 11:45 PM
My first tri was a sprint, and I wear glasses. I have excellent sport/driving prescription sunglasses that I wanted to wear for the bike and run, so I didn't wear contacts. Needless to say, I spent five minutes in T1 in panic mode, running back and forth until I finally found my bike. Now I'll buy a 24" pink balloon for my bike! My other idea was to lay my JAWS towel down in my transition zone. Nothing like a great white to tell you where your bike is!

If your eyes are as bad as mine, wear swim goggles with diopter corrections.  It makes sighting a lot easier, and then my keeping them on as I run to T1, I can see where things are.  Sure I look kind of dorky (like the episode of Seinfeld where George lost his glasses and wore his swim goggles.).  But I figure it's worth it to see.
2009-05-04 2:56 PM

User image

You can't draft on the bike but you can on the swim and the run.  And it works beautifully.  I've yet to do it well on the swim, but on the run there is no shame in waiting for someone who is going slightly faster than you, just slip in behind them - off on an angle a little bit - and just let them pull you along.  I, personally, do this a lot and every single time I say, "Mind if I draft off you."  Everytime I've asked the person always says "Yes".  Once last year, during a sprint I asked a guy and he said, "Come on! Let's go!!" and he motivated me and we even picked the pace up and he pulled me all the way to the finish.  Very cool of him   Just make sure it's not someone who is running too fast for you, you don't wanna blow up.  I like to look for a guy who is around my build type and is running with good form.  Even if they carry you for just a couple of miles it helps.

On the same topic, if it's a 10k or longer run - striking up conversation on the run helps A.) Pass time and B.) Regulate breathing. 

Lastly, Transition is NOT the place to catch your breath!!!  It's a chance for free speed.  Get in and out of transition like you are on FIRE!  You can pedal a little slower for the first 1/2 mile on the bike and you will recover from the swim and catch your breath.  In T2 same thing.  You can run the first 1/4 a little slow, catch your breath and let the HR settle down and slowly get up to speed.  Even if you Run or Bike a little slower just at the very start, you are still moving forward!!  Just standing there in Transition flaws me.  Or really taking your time.  I have had races where I was beaten in the Swim, Bike and Run by athletes but I finished 10 spots ahead of them in the standings because of my Transition times. 

Edited by Dream Chaser 2009-05-04 3:05 PM

2009-05-04 11:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Iowa
2009-05-05 12:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Boise

if you are swimming in a cold OW swim, wrap the heating hand pads around your handlebars. Frozen hands suck, and they suck even more when you throw some wind on them from the bike ride....

2009-05-05 2:07 AM
in reply to: #2130391

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
triboy_20 - 2009-05-05 1:29 AM

if you are swimming in a cold OW swim, wrap the heating hand pads around your handlebars. Frozen hands suck, and they suck even more when you throw some wind on them from the bike ride....

Dude, that is awesome! I have a circulation disorder and my hands and feet are frozen anyway, to say nothing of what they feel like when thawing out after OWS + wind. I'm definitely doing this next time out. Thanks!
2009-05-26 11:15 AM

Expert

Get a sunscreen stick. Cram it into that little bag under your saddle and use it when you remember you've forgotten to sunscreen yourself and are now burning up. Or use it as a Body Glide substitute! Yup it works.

2009-05-26 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western MA

I always count the racks pre-race and figure out where my bike is that way - so when I run in from the swim I just count off and find it that way.

I think this was said before, but I also carry an extra squeeze water bottle (Poland Spring works best!) and wash my feet off that way.

Lots of great tips on here - thanks to all who added, I'm definitely trying an extra swim cap for warmth and the earplugs - I always get dizzy after a cold water swim and look drunk staggering to my bike.

2009-05-26 3:09 PM

Wow, there is a lot here... I have a feeling I'll be repeating a few (as I only read pages 1-3), but:

Baby powder in running/biking shoes quick transitions

Put your foot into a plastic bag, then put on your wetsuit (slides right over your feet and legs). Then obviously get rid of the bag)

Bring antibacterial gel (to wipe the portajohn seats) and some baby wipes rather than plain TP.

NEVER eat, drink, wipe feet, change clothes, or sit in transition.

Spare goggles tucked into your wetsuit for Oly distance+ races

2009-05-26 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2118733

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
wurkit_gurl - 2009-04-29 2:28 PM

sarah927 - 2009-04-29 2:24 PM Throw away the little round washer that comes on the valve stem of your tube--it can cause a flat.

Really? I know you're "supposed" to toss the black cap that goes over the valve-tip; partly a "cool" factor, but also, I can see how if you got a flat in a race, it'd just be one more thing to mess with.

I've done it to myself after just replacing a flat with the last tube I had with me.  Was a slow leak so I had to pump up the tire by hand every 5 minutes, but I guess that is better than walking it all the way back to my car. 
2009-05-26 6:12 PM
in reply to: #2118820

User image

Master
Muskego, WI
the bear - 2009-04-29 2:04 PM
wurkit_gurl - 2009-04-29 1:28 PM

sarah927 - 2009-04-29 2:24 PM Throw away the little round washer that comes on the valve stem of your tube--it can cause a flat.

Really? I know you're "supposed" to toss the black cap that goes over the valve-tip; partly a "cool" factor, but also, I can see how if you got a flat in a race, it'd just be one more thing to mess with.

Wondering about that myself. How can "the little round washer " cause a flat?

Ditto. If you keep it tight to the wheel, it can PREVENT a flat...from the stem pushing down into the tube while pumping up the tire pre race. But CAUSE???
2009-05-26 6:24 PM
in reply to: #2126134

User image

Master
Muskego, WI
threeladsdad - 2009-05-02 10:39 PM IBUPROFEN!! nuff said... but for those of use who are aren't super athletes and are mainly trying to survive a couple of NSAIDs before and after the race seems to help reduce the joint pain, swelling, headaches, sore muscles and other physical signs of insanity resulting from these nutso races

PLEASE make sure you are well hydrated BEFORE taking any NSAIDS after a race. Save your kidneys. Pre race is not a great idea, as much as it would help any pre race discomfort. Ibuprofen is not like popping candy.
2009-05-26 6:39 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, WI

1 Have extra goggles (besides your own spare). I helped a guy out by running back into T (prior to my wave) to get goggles to throw to him as he entered the water. Same with race belts. (Ive loaned one out several times in a race).extra gel etc...makes you feel good to help someone out. Then hopefully they will pay it forward next race.

2 buy your own velcro timing chip strap. (some races have a plastic band that digs  into your leg)

3 WALK (quickly) up steep hills. Im always passed going up, but can take all the free speed at the top, repass the ones who passed me on the climb, never to see them again. Some trudge up a hill, arrive at the top wasted, out of breath and unable to free wheel down. (it has ALWAYs worked for me...leading to podium finishes) So yes, you can walk (under the right circumstances, and still place!)

4 shout out a thanks to all volunteers, police officers, spectators cheering etc.

5 volunteer if you are injured and cant race, or before or after your own race. Ive done it, and it adds a whole new dimension/appreciation to racing.

6 pump your tires immediately before any ride or race. Avoids pinch flats. (also, temp changes overnight (for mandatory night before check in) affects pressure.

7 on above note, check rim tape after a flat...nipple from spoke may be cutting your tube, by being worn, or shifted over.

THANKS to all of you for some new tips I'll use...can always learn new things, no matter how much experience you have.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips - Little things you never think about Rss Feed  

of 5