Dallas Sports University
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 25m 57s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = over 40
Age Group Rank = 7/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up before the alarm,, went to put the dogs outside and they gave me the “I’m still asleep and not moving” tailwag.. mans best friend my butt cheek.

Since I didn’t’ get ready the night before I grabbed some tri related gear to , put air in the tires, took a helmet and running shoes and was too lazy to even attempt to put on the better wheels

Make my bananna/with chocolate syrup smoothie, hammered back a blue monster, grabbed a couple of dt dews for the drive.

As I was driving there a light rain was falling,,, crapola will all my DA” races be raining was my only thought.

Once I was there and passed the bike safety check point, I created a distraction so Tim and Sabrina could get into transition, Big –D came over and we plotted out how to drown the swimmers ahead of us. Chatted with Jonny, Steve and Marcy, attempted to get some pancakes before getting my chip which was a no go .. (bastards)

Got inside and chatted with Grady a bit, saw Lariue J for her first tri in a bit, then karen and Jen’s SiL Jenny… yes I’ll get to the race I just have to make sure I don’t’ miss anyone.. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO…. Michael (frendermh1027) who had nothing better to do came out to cheer which I thought was very cool..

Event warmup:

So I got in the pool to warm up, did either a 400 or 500 nice easy warm up for this short course swim.. Stood around waiting for the incredible cluster start while wondering why I couldn’t’ use the huge water slide as the start. An Official came by and Jonny/Steve asked where are we starting and ending to which he had no clue… I’m serious up to 2min before the start no one had a corking clue which side of the pool we were starting.. I went over and grabbed a seat to wait for things to settle out. They had the beginner/first time tri clinic start off first for the swim and at least made sure the last person was just about out before starting the rest of us..
Swim
  • 04m 12s
  • 275 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

For races like this where you have to put down you expected finish time, I can’t see why this confuses so many people,, Go swim the 300 yards or what ever and see how long it takes,, don’t guess, Don't swim just 25 and extrapolate the rest. Or think you will get faster on race day. A couple of people in the first couple of dozen people were hanging on the wall after 50 yards.. then again I’m sure these are the ones that ended up with a swim time of less than 2min so they now believe they are really that fast.. I won’t even comment on the rest of the swim timing mistakes. I put down 4:25 thinking that would be about right and not wanting to push it too much.

The pool was very shallow were we started and they allowed us into the pool before starting us so you could get a push off the wall which was nice, but no cannon ball for me today. I started to joke around with jonny who was lined up still when I heard someone yell “GO” it took me a second to realize they were talking about me.. then I took off.. I was planning on starting easy then building but nearly at the end of the first wall I was on the guys feet in front of me,, from then on I always made sure I was on the side of the lane closest to where we would be going next so I could pass at the wall or just cut off people’s angle.. this worked great.. I passed about 4-5 people in the first 200-225 without any real log jams and had clean water to the end.. someone did catch me right at the ladder, but I had good position and we were both able to use it at the same time. My official time was 4:17 I believe and since you had to climb out of the pool, then run/jog to transition before you crossed the mat I’ll claim it took me at least 5sec for that maybe 10 secs at the most though ..that’s why I’m claiming 4:12 still a nice pace though. it was most likely more but since I didn’t’ use my watch. I couldn’t look down to see what my swim time was… considering this was going to be my only bright spot today I should have done that.

What would you do differently?:

I should have busted out with the butterfly for the first 25...
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

I saw Michael right away and he did a nice job with me to transition and gave me someone to chat with, it’s pretty sad though when you cheering section is moving faster than you,,, had my shoes all clipped in and ready for the flying mount, but I had looked where the mount line was earlier, if it was after the small u-turn I’d do it,, since it was before I look back, laughed for a sec, then stopped and got on regular style…. Sorry dude.

Eat More Bacon
Bike
  • 49m 35s
  • 13.25 miles
  • 16.03 mile/hr
Comments:

I’m sure my bike times would be better if I didn’t’ spend all my free training time typing out novel size RR’s or playing mafia wars online…. (PM me to join my mafia)

I’d say I got up to speed quickly but since I never got up to speed that would be a very bold claim. I got my right foot in pretty easily but for some reason I had an issue with my left,, I didn’t really worry about it and just kept riding,, well past the first turn I slid my foot into place. And then the death ride/march was under way… I have a nice list of reasons why I had no speed today, but it’s mostly since I’ve been a real slacker training wise… I did get a nice red mantard butt shake when jonny cruised by. I pretty much got passed by the entire field on the bike,, with the exception of the people that wanted to pass me while running.. I did slow way down (if that’s possible) at the one turn around to watch this guy yelling at the cop for holding him up,, I was really hoping he get tazered or something, but what ever the cop did or said this guy shut up pretty fast and got back in his car.

So lets see.. blah ,, blah ,, Hmm I was on the bike,, riding,,, oh yea.. I actually finished before the time limit was up,,

Lots of wind out there today, but it's been windy a lot lately. So I was glad I was too lazy to put the race wheels on. Looking at my ride info afterwards, the first 10 min wasn't bad, the next 20 min sucked and the end was ok.. I just had my computer on avg speed and after the first lap it was maybe high 14's so I guess I did better the 2nd lap.

ride faster, use more coupons when grocery shopping
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I did a ok dismount waved to the crowd and that was about it.. walked into transition, put my stuff up, decided since these shoes are still fairly new to put some socks on and went out for my run..

They dont' have a time listed for T2, there were some timing issue's with the race to say the least

not be a social butterfly. have a unicycle for transitions
Run
  • 30m 43s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

The run course was typical DA, you are running on a sidewalk dodging people, then start the zig/zap,, run a loop over here, jump on this trail a bit, but I actually liked this course… a bunch of guys were playing cricket, in the field… I mean who plays cricket in the states?? I thought maybe they were a terrorist group or something,, wasn’t it the movie “Syrian” or “Traitor” where the future terrorists were playing cricket.. if it was in a movie it must be true. Anyway I made sure to slow way down to watch them and see if they hit the ball anywhere near me,, I was going to steal it and see if I got waterboarded if I didn’t’ give it back..

the rest of the run was pretty uneventful run wise,, but spectator wise was really good, Jen and Craig were out there, saw David G for a sec or two ,, Todd (who finished a few hours ahead of me) Jenny and their kids were out there cheering. Along with this cute lady who I met at a race before and have been unsuccessfully stalking for a while now. ( I keep forgetting the whole effort part ) but she was wearing too much eyeliner in my opinion, still a cutie though..

Johnny was done by then and cheering along with Karen who wasa cheering machine out there. Saw Steve for a bit on the run course, waved at Marcy a few times.. took a few walk breaks so I could do an all out sprint at the end to fool no one.. etc. broke the tape at exactly E59 like planned

steal the cricket ball, ask about the meals at Gitmo. act like it's a race and I'm on a clock
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out, talked,, told tall tales of my greatness.. found my shirt from before the swim,, blah blah blah

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of a few things that are needed for a race such as; effort, training, attention span, focus, determination. Also of note was too much concern over the swine flu and the potential impact on bacon sales.

Event comments:

Like others have said.. I really want to like the DA races. they make an effort to make them fun, but they seem to mess up something basic each time.

Last updated: 2009-03-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:12 | 275 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
na
Suit: bathing
Course: indoor pool snake swim with one way traffic in the laen
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:49:35 | 13.25 miles | 16.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/15
Performance: Bad
none
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: a two loop course on city streets
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:43 | 03.1 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/15
Performance:
nope, nada,,
Course: a loop around the cricket field then off to the neighborhood
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-04-29 11:29 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: CaveMan Triathlon

2009-04-29 11:52 AM
in reply to: #2118371

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: CaveMan Triathlon
That was a deeply moving RR with many twists and turns. I was on the edge of my seat reading it.

2009-04-29 2:20 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

It's always interesting to read your race reports.

2009-04-30 12:18 AM

User image

Pro
Texas
*waggle*
2009-04-30 11:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I think you indeed have swine flu. No more Baconators for you.
2009-05-01 4:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Wow, a little bit of everything:  character development and setting the environment; a cameo appearance by Jenny Craig; international intrigue (I know I'll be on the lookout for potential terrorist sleeper cells playing cricket from now on); and BACON!

2009-05-01 10:17 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX

I don't believe anything in this RR. Next race I am drafting you the entire way to verify these stories. Don't be surprised if you have some M&Ms bounced off your head.

2009-05-02 12:07 AM

User image

Plano, Tx

Love it.

2009-05-02 7:11 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Entertaining report.  For some reason, it's cracking me up that you put "bathing" for your swim suit.
2009-05-02 8:53 AM

User image

New user
Parker, TX

Loved it, looks just like my motorcycle race reports... shot off the line like a volkswagon bus running on 3 cylinders and a flat tire...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CaveMan Triathlon Rss Feed