emdesports.com
43F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 12s
Overall Rank = 57/87
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/9
Pre-race routine:

Well, not the optimal by any means. Worked last night and since I have a job where I can get some sleep if I'm not busy, I was hoping that would be the case. Of course, with my typical luck, that didn't happen. I was up all night and got a late start out to the race. Only had a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast and a bottle of water. Hurried to the race, got there about 25 minutes before the start, checked in, set up my transition, and had about 5 minutes to get a quick warmup done. I didn't take this race very seriously today, just because of the lack of sleep and having worked all weekend. Used it as a good training day and had fun!
Run
  • 21m 6s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Intentionally started out slow at the BOP and pretty much stayed there. Just wanted to take the whole race easy and did so on the first run. The course was supposed to be 1 mile loops but turned out to be 1.25 miles instead...which everyone was relieved to hear after they looked at their watches and couldn't believe they were running so slow a pace!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Had a nice relaxing run.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

No big deal here. Just had to change shoes and strap on the helmet. Walked about 25 yards to the mount up area.
Bike
  • 30m 43s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Did the same on the bike as on the run. Just took it easy for the most part and cruised. Pushed a little on the downhills just to get a little speed on the easy part of the ride. Drank most of a bottle of Perpetuem and ate a Chocolate GU for fuel.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Again, no big deal. Shoes off, shoes on.
Run
  • 35m 15s
  • 3.75 miles
  • 09m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Started to feel the lack of sleep on the second run. Legs were so so off the bike but came back pretty quickly. Just didn't have the energy reserves so intentionally slowed down just to make sure I took it easy. Had to remind myself that today was just a training day...enjoy it!
Post race
Warm down:

Talked with friends at the finish. Awards ceremony. Won a big bottle of Hammer Gel! Got a massage too which was wonderful.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of sleep for sure.

Event comments:

Fun race day with a lot of very good multisport athletes from the area competing. Extrememly well organized.

Last updated: 2005-04-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:06 | 02.5 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/87
Performance: Average
Course: Mostly on trails in the woods. Nice and soft but very uneven in most places so the footing wasn't optimal. One short downhill and one short uphill, otherwise flat. Very scenic along the river.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:08
Overall: Average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:30:43 | 10 miles | 19.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/87
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Gentle uphills in places on the outbound leg and gentle downhills inbound. A bit of a headwind on the way back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal