Deland YMCA
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 44s
Overall Rank = 32/74
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15am and ate a pumpkin bran muffin, a banana and some almonds. Also drank 16 oz of water. Did 15 minutes of stretching and then showered and got ready to leave. Left the house at 5:15am. The race site was 40 minutes away but I didn't want to arrive too early b/c my nerves always get to me if I have to stand around too long. I sipped gatorade on the way there - uneventful ride. Got to the event at 6:00am and the parking lot was PACKED. I parked, got my race packet and chip and went to unload my bike. On my way to the transition area I saw a friend of mine and she told me she was doing her FIRST triathlon. She is an AMAZING runner (7min pace) and is also in my age group so my first thought was that she was definitely going to beat me. I told myself to stay focused on MY goals for the race...
Event warmup:

Set up my transition. First one to my rack so I set up on the aisle (my fave spot) and laid everything out. Went to the potty a few times, checked out the pool area and stretched a little more. Talked to a few people that I have seen at other races. My whole focus was to STAY CALM. Met back up with my friend who asked me to check her transition area and then we made small talk while we waited for the swim to start.
Swim
  • 06m 33s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

I caught the person in front of me around lap 8 but she did not slow down and I was not able to get around her. I really don't think it affected my time by more than a few seconds.I just swam relaxed and focused on my breathing.
What would you do differently?:

I did not kick off the wall like I planned and I would certainly like to improve my swim times to under 2min/100M and be closer to the front of the start group. I am already working on my kick, which is not good.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Transition was through the gymnasium and along a grassy path to the transition area. Probably about 150 yards. Feet were all dirty and mulchy but I quickly put shoes and helmet on and unracked bike. My shades were all foggy so I took them off and held them in my mouth while I ran out with my bike.

Sprint through the gym and grassy path. Definitely need to work on mounting the bike while running.
Bike
  • 43m 33s
  • 12.3 miles
  • 16.95 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall I think I did well. We were told no drafting, stay 3 bike lengths behind the rider in front of you and pass within 15 seconds. Since there were rolling hills, it was a little difficult to gauge when and if I could pass. I did pass 4 people and was passed by two guys who were DEFINITELY drafting. Near the end of the course, I mistakenly followed the biker in front of me and we took a wrong turn into a parking area where we had to turn around and get back on course. It cost us about 90 seconds but we laughed about it after the race. :-0

My goal was not to mash my gears and to keep an even cadence which I did. I would like to AVERAGE 18mph across the entire course. I think I was closer to averaging 17.5 mph but I think the long run into and out of transition counted toward our bike time.
Transition 2
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

When trying to dismount I got my left heal caught under my pedal. I stopped so quickly that I almost went OVER my handlebars. I pulled my foot out and ran into transition. Heel was scraped up and bleeding. :(

Mount and dismount my bike while in motion without fear of injury.
Run
  • 34m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

My run times suck to begin with never mind factoring in a swim and bike. My goal for the run was to run the entire way and in 30 minutes. Well, I walked within the first mile b/c I couldn't catch my breath. I decided to run for at least 5 minutes before walking again - I did this twice. My left heel was throbbing and I was jogging so slow that I felt like walking didn't make much of a difference. I jogged the last mile. I had NO kick left and was totally out of energy when I passed the finish line.

Run faster! I need to get my run time to at least a 9min/mile pace which I know is NOT fast but would be fast for me. I beat myself up mentally and walked more once I knew I wouldn't reach my run goal.
Post race
Warm down:

I drank two bottles of water and ate some orange slices. I stretched a bit and had a shower and changed clothes before packing up my transition area and heading out to the swim start for the kids sprint.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run time definitely affected my overall time. I was VERY pleased with my swim and bike and will now work on improving my run. If I could have done a 9min pace today I would have placed SECOND in my age group! Don't get me wrong, third is nice and I was pleased with the fact that I had nothing left at the end of the race but I really wanted to finish closer to 1:23. Oh well, next race!!

Event comments:

Several differences from last year. The organizers were at the site early and there were many more volunteers on the bike course and more water stations on the run. The post-race activities could have been better but there was a 5K and a Kids Sprint going on also. They announced the tri winners when the kids sprint was starting so many of us missed the awards b/c we were at the pool area showing our support for the kids. Overall a FUN race. I hope to have my kids entered in it next year so it will be even more fun!

Last updated: 2009-04-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:33 | 300 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 0/74
Performance: Average
Suit: DeSoto Tri Suit
Course: 25M pool swim. Up and back in each lane and under the rope to the next lane for a total of 12 laps. We were started about 20 seconds apart based on our estimated swim times. I should have started more toward the front group but I was afraid I might be in the way of faster swimmers so I moved back about 15 people.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:33 | 12.3 miles | 16.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/9
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Down a highway with rolling hills and through farm country. Had to ride on the shoulder due to some traffic. There were some sharp turns and loose gravel but not an overly difficult course other than a few of the hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:11 | 03.11 miles | 10m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/9
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back on road through an industrial park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-03 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Subject: Family Fit Fest

2009-05-03 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2126465

User image

Elite
Utah
Subject: RE: Family Fit Fest
Wahoo!!! Sounds like a great race to start off the season
Bummer about scrapping up your heel... irregardless of blood or not, that always hurts!!!
2009-05-03 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
Great finish despite some of the challenges you faced.  Sounds like you had a great time!
2009-05-03 10:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Iowa

Congratulations on another accomplishment to be proud of!!  Really enjoyed reading your race report too.  Sounds like a nice sized field?

Valerie

2009-05-06 10:47 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Great job!  Congratulations on 3rd in your AG!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Family Fit Fest Rss Feed