General Discussion Race Reports! » Hawthorne Farm Athletic Club Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hawthorne Farm Athletic Club Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hillsboro, Oregon
United States
Hawthorn Farm Athletic Club
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 38m 21s
Overall Rank = 150/205
Age Group = Athena 39-under
Age Group Rank = 2/7
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6, ate half a poppyseed bagel w/ low-fat cream cheese. Drank half a bottled starbucks frappuchino. Got myself together and out the door to catch the 6.40 max train. Biked from station to Stadium to set up T2 (2 miles), then biked to T1 (2+ more miles), got set up, ate the other half of the bagel and watched some of the early heats of swimmers. I probably wouldn't show up an hour before my heat next time and get some extra sleep! But I had no idea how set up would go - I also brought a lot of unnecessary stuff. Was taking the better be safe than sorry route.
Event warmup:

Stretched, ate a gu about 45 before my heat, hit the drinking fountain a bunch of times, and jumped in the heated pool to get warmed up and get the cap/goggles all situated. Did 2 laps before my wave started.
Swim
  • 09m 8s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

What to say about the swim. It sucked. I was third to push off in my lane of 4 w/ 3 guys. The guy behind me tagged me at the second lap, so I let him go ahead. I tagged the guy in front of me on the 3rd lap and we basically lost him. I was swimming fine, pacing nicely until about the 8th lap getting ready to really start pushing. The chop was incredible, lost my breath a few times. Then I ran into the wall of man. I tagged the guy ahead of me every single lap until we were finished. He would not let me pass. We were 1-2-3 out of the water. I was pissed he wouldn't let me go ahead because I was just getting started and ready to pour it on - instead I had to breast stroke behind him. Not one of the finer moments in the race to be certain. We were so bunched up the second half I don't think I was able to do a single flip turn. At least I got some serious drafting in, but do not think I pushed it at all hard on the swim... at least as much as I was ready to.
What would you do differently?:

What can you do when people are not exhibiting good pool etiquette...?

I'd do a couple things differently:
1) get a race belt, I had my number pinned to my jersey and tucked in, and it worked fine, but was not that comfortable swimming.
2) not wear socks or have anything i need to grab when i exit the pool.
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

Just took my time, but wasn't expecting to feel quite as leaden as I did coming out of the pool. Towel'd off a bit while running, got everything on fairly quickly. Wore a bike/running jacket because it was chilly - glad I did - did not overheat at all, and was comfortable on the ride. Didn't have too much trouble getting into the jacket wet, and socks/shoes went on fairly quickly.

A few more SWIM-BIKE bricks.
Not have anything to grab when exiting the pool.
Learn to jump on the bike and the whole shoes trick (at some point)
Bike
  • 46m 20s
  • 13 miles
  • 16.83 mile/hr
Comments:

I never got a chance to ride the course before the race so I was a little worried about the "challenging hill" at mile 6. I knew the elevation profile before and after were fairly flat so I gunned it as much as possible from the start. Started climbing at 5.5 mile, the hill was slightly challenging but was really just an extra long roller - I wish I had attacked it a bit harder. Hit 38.5mph on the way off the hill and was just trying to keep the pace up after that. Was trying to push it just hard enough that I would have some left for the run, but not too hard. Think I managed a good balance here. Took a GU and some h20 at mile 11 prepping for run.

Spin more instead of hammering. Attack the "hill" a bit more. Maybe push it a little harder, but overall I'm happy with the bike portion.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Got in and out fairly quickly. Had to take off my jacket so that slowed me down a bit - but I had put yankz in my shoes the day before, they really make getting in/out fast!

Nothing cept hopping off the bike a bit more elegantly.
Hopefully next time weather won't warrant a jacket, one less thing to worry about.
Run
  • 39m 25s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Goal was to try to run the whole thing - and I did - first time I've ever run an entire 5k. Felt pretty good and paced at my slow jog pace. My right ankle has been nagging me the past couple weeks on/off but didn't seem to flare up too badly during the run. The timing chip ate my left ankle though. Did not feel too wiped at the end. Amazing comraderie on the run - really felt supported and encouraged. It was awesome.

Probably could have pushed a little harder, but am happy with the run considering what I consider to be my sub-par current running condition. A nice soft timing chip ankle strip maybe?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Talked to some people, drank a bunch of water, ate a cookie, picked up swag, packed up and rode bike back to T1 to pick up my bag, and got back to the max to head home. Didn't stick around for awards - wanted significant meal! :)

Treated myself to a 22oz Sapporo w/ giant chicken burrito w/ salsa verde, and a lemon/honey lavender ice cream sandwich for a job well done!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1) Arsehats in the swim.
2) Not knowing the "hill" length and possible ways to attack it.
3) Mental toughness on the run (though I did pretty well I think).

Event comments:

I am a triathlete!
Yes!
It was a fun race, I loved the bike and the amazing people on the run, and I can't wait for the next one.
RUN RUN RUN...

Last updated: 2009-04-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:08 | 500 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 80/205
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri suit
Course: 20 lengths, narrow lanes, 4 per lane, I was in 6th wave, 3rd to push out in group of four.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:46:20 | 13 miles | 16.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 103/205
Performance: Good
1 03m 32s 1.00 miles 16.98 mph 2 03m 38s 1.00 miles 16.51 mph 3 03m 28s 1.00 miles 17.30 mph 4 03m 08s 1.00 miles 19.14 mph 5 03m 56s 1.00 miles 15.25 mph 6 05m 19s 1.00 miles 11.28 mph 7 04m 25s 1.00 miles 13.58 mph 8 02m 38s 1.00 miles 22.78 mph 9 03m 09s 1.00 miles 19.04 mph 10 03m 21s 1.00 miles 17.91 mph 11 03m 04s 1.00 miles 19.56 mph 12 03m 33s 1.00 miles 16.90 mph 13 02m 54s 0.78 miles 16.20 mph
Wind: Little
Course: Mostly flat w/ a few good rollers and one "challenging hill" miles 5-7.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 68
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:39:25 | 03.11 miles | 12m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/7
Overall: 209/205
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat out and back on roadway.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-03 5:48 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Subject: Hawthorne Farm Athletic Club Triathlon

2009-05-04 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2126915

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Subject: RE: Hawthorne Farm Athletic Club Triathlon

Awesome first race!  Congrats triathlete!

Sounds like you'll really will enjoy getting into the open water.  I despise pool tris, too.  You had a good plan for your first race, and you did a fantastic job.  Plus, it sounds like you learned a lot, which you'll find out you do at ever tri from now on

Most importantly, you had fun and sound hooked!

2009-05-05 11:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle

Nice race!!!  Very well done.

P.S. also excellent usage of "arsehat."

2009-05-05 11:44 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Great job on the race especially the run!  I would swim over that guy next time and he can watch a chick leave him in the dust.  Wink  After race meal sounded yummy!
2009-05-05 10:08 PM

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington
Great Job! 

My first tri was a mess...but I went into it fairly clueless.  My bike wasn't functional until 11pm the night before.

Now I am craving a race...I need to train a bit more first.

Yay Kiri!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hawthorne Farm Athletic Club Triathlon Rss Feed