Nanticoke RIver Swim & Triathlon
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 53m
Overall Rank = 75/92
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/8
Pre-race routine:

First race, no real routine. Lots of wandering around trying to figure out where to go.
Event warmup:

Swimming in open water was way harder than it is in the pool. I've been doing 3 miles once a week for like 10 weeks, and it got normal. Not hard, just boring. The open water w/ the current, trying (and failing to stay on course), and the wet suit made it REALLY hard. I noticed the wet suit feeling heavy and making it harder in the first 500 yards.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 5300 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm exhausted. When I finished, and got out of the water; I fell over when I tried to stand up. I instantly pulled a calf muscle, and REALLY needed a nap. I also tweaked my back somehow w/ adjusting the way I swim to haul the wetsuit around. My wetsuit was too big, but it's my own fault. I got the bigger size thinking it would make it easier to put on and take off. Turns out that when you swim that just fills up w/ water, and that water is super HEAVY to drag around. Driving all the way home I needed a pillow in the small of my back, and to readjust my car seat. My back is in actual pain. I'm pretty worried I actually pulled a muscle and that I'm not just generally sore. For one thing I've swam a LOT over the past 3 months, and KNOW that when I get sore from just fatigue it's always in my arms and shoulders first. Soreness, in my back is weird like an injury and not just tired. Also it's not just mildly sore either.
What would you do differently?:

Get a wet suit that fits. Work more on sighting - I only did enough to learn that I pull to the right and to work to compensate for that. I haven't actually corrected it.
Post race
Warm down:

I was DONE - this was about the limit of what I can do. THere was nothing left once I got out of the water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Navigation - I need to learn to sight, and probably need to work on bilateral breathing.

Event comments:

Need to specify the difference between rt 50 & business 50 in the directions. Actually put up the signs to parking that the directions say to follow. First race, so I don't know if this is usually a problem; but the buyoys for the next turn were too far away to see from water level after a turn. You didn't actualy have anything to USE for siting until you finished about half a leg. The leg along the shore was easier since you could use stuff on the beach for sighting. But the legs headed out into the water had nothing until you were close enough to see the buyoys. It's possible this is MY individual problem, and I'm just horrible at sighting. I probably am - but I feel like I got better at that (sighting) over the course of the race. The second circuit when I was better, I still had problems w/ sighting on the second & third legs of the triangle.

Last updated: 2009-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 5300 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 75/92
Performance: Below average
Forgot to wear my heart rate monitor strap. Once the wet suit was on I was NOT going to take it off just to put that on.
Suit: full sleeves, rental
Course: There was about 200 yards out along a breakwater, then a triangle course (about 750 yds per leg) 2 circuits of the triangle and back into the beach. I cannot swim a straight line to save my life. They have kayaks to stop you, and yell at you every time you get off course. I got yelled at 7 times. I know it took me 10 min from the first time they yelled at me to get back on course, so that added nearly a half mile to the distance (based on my regular pace) for JUST that one detour. Luckily there was only one other MAJOR detour, the others were all smaller. I've done some math since I finished and realize that I probably swam 3.5 rather than just the 3 required by the race course. It takes me about 15 min to do a half mile, and my time was about 20 min slower than 3 mi generally takes me. I'm actually quite frustrated w/ that as every time I saw other swimmers - I passed them. I felt fast, like I COULD do this well. But instead I spent 99% of the race off on my own, mostly off course and going further than necessary. That doesn't make me super fast - they were the same people I passed everytime I caught back up to the pack before I got off course again. And again, I spent the majority of the race all by myself w/o other swimmers around. I'm sure there was a HUGE pack up at the front I would never have caught up to, even if I could have managed to stay on track!!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-05-04 10:45 AM

User image

Veteran
DC
Subject: Nanticoke RIver Swim

2009-05-04 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2128416

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Nanticoke RIver Swim
Congrats on surviving that!  you guys had one buoy to work with on each leg of that triangle.  Even the really experienced open water swim guys/gals were having a hard time sighting!

Great work, and again, congrats on your first race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nanticoke RIver Swim Rss Feed