Set Up Events
64F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 30s
Overall Rank = 105/396
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 13/34
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6am, had a smoothie and some water for breakfast. Got the packet the night before so I just had to get marked in the morning.
Event warmup:

Set up my transition area and went for a light 5 minute jog followed by some stretching. Suited up and got into the water for about 5-10 minutes of swimming to get warm. This was my first triathlon so I definitely had some nervous tension.
Swim
  • 12m 20s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was surprised that I swam as well as I did. I let the crowd go a little before I got in. Drafted ok, never got kicked although I tagged a few people...
What would you do differently?:

I thought swimming would be my weakest part maybe take it a little easier next time to make my bike and run stronger...
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

I lost my goggles and hat on the run up to the transition area. Pulled them off and held them in my hand and pulled the sleeves down to keep them in the arm of the wetsuit but they still fell out when I was running...
I did not wear a shirt under the wetsuit(I didn't in training, heard many times don't change it race day) and it got stuck on my back when I put it on. Put on socks and ran to the top of the hill and then put cycling shoes.

Swim with shirt on under the wet suit and put helmet on as soon as I get to my transition area. Learn to slip feet into cycling shoes while bike is moving. Probably need different shoes, I have regular cycling shoes and don't see it as an easy feat(Pardon the pun) to get in them while moving. Also, practice cycling without socks to get used to it.
Bike
  • 41m 48s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.84 mile/hr
Comments:

I dropped my water bottle halfway through the ride and consequently was not as hydrated as I was during training sessions for the run.

I need to train more for the bike, it was not as good as I was expecting. I shifted gears like a monkey humping a football. My bike rides have had much longer gradual hills, need to find a place with shorter steeper ones to help with endurance and work on my shifting. Practice without Socks.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

I had my feet out of the shoes and pedalled to the dismount point. Hopped of and moved quickly to my transition area. Did a good job of getting the running shoes on quickly.

I debated about drinking some water from a bottle I had there and that cost me a little bit of time. Practice running without socks to cut some time in T1.
Run
  • 24m 6s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Decent run. Kept the same pace and lengthened the stride as I loosened up from the bike ride.

Train harder on the runs and pushed myself a little more in the last mile, mile and a half.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for 5 minutes, some stretching and gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too much energy expended in the swim(adrenaline and first race ever) and not being hydrated enough on the bike to run well afterward.

Event comments:

Great first triathlon! Pretty much achieved all the goals I set for myself beforehand! Would definitely recommend it and will be back here next year!!

Last updated: 2009-05-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:20 | 820 yards | 01m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/34
Overall: 60/396
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot FS Fuzion
Course: Open Water, Lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:41:48 | 12.43 miles | 17.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/34
Overall: 139/396
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Nice Course, two out and backs. Some hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: >80
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good