60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m
Overall Rank = 74 M/175 M
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/20
Pre-race routine:

The story of my first triathlon!

My son and I drove up to Lynchburg and arrived at the Holiday Inn around 7:00pm, unloaded, and checked in. My sister, niece, and nephew were coming down from Harrisonburg, VA and were running late. They arrived @ 9:00 we had some pasta buffet and all went back to the rooms. I organized my gear one last time, watched a little TV, then hit the bed.

...couldn't sleep! woke up every 30min and looked at the clock...last time I looked it was 4:23. I was to meet my sister in the lobby of the hotel at 6:00...so I fell asleep again and when I woke up this time it was 6:08. I was late! Luckily, I had packed everything the night before. I quickly put on my race clothes, ate my bagel and banana, and grabbed my bag and bike raced out my hotel door! My sister was waiting patiently in the lobby. We walked the 1/4 mile to the transition area chatting the whole way...asking each other silly questions like "Is this the correct way?", etc. We got our packets, chips, and got marked.
Event warmup:

We setup our T area and both took off for a short bike w/u, then a short run w/u. Plan was to have a swim w/u, but it was time for the pre-race meeting. Then it was time to pee. I did hop in the w/u pool for a few laps before my start. Start time 8:21!
Swim
  • 00m
  • 300 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

Seemed like forever to get in the pool and start! My first laps were fast, and on my middle laps I was thinking "What the hell I was doing? Me - a triathlete?...I'm getting tired already!" Well, this feeling luckily faded as I attacked the last few laps. Never got close enough to pass anyone, but no one passed me either!

Mike, there were plenty of JMU fishes in this race too, but I wasn't seeded next to any!
What would you do differently?:

Maybe some more w/u laps CLOSER to my start time...
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

My pseudo prescription goggles helped me to see my way to my bike. I took them off, took a deep breath, and grabbed my towel, dried off my feet. I easily put my socks and shoes on. I grabbed my Jester jersey and tried several times to wrestle it over my wet shoulders...this seemed like hours, but probably was only 10 seconds...finally I got that Jester on! Grabbed my glasses and helmet and bike and off I went.

Dry my shoulders and chest before trying to put on my jersey.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 15.5 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I came out of T1, mounted my bike and immediately went down a sharp city hill, then a sharp left turn...well I didn't even get my shoes in the cages until about a block down the road. Going down the long sloping hill I hit 40 mph and passed a couple of riders...and I almost got run over while a faster rider went by me! I passed maybe 10 racers overall - I was stoked! even though some were on MTB's, it still helped psychologically to pass someone! THE HILL - I had to get up out-of-the saddle for this. I never practiced this position, so I basically sucked. I would later find out that this took a lot out of me.

Work on hills more and more and more and more.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I smoked T2! Basically, racked my bike, removed my helmet, grabbed my race belt and off I went! This is on the only advantage I see to not having clipless pedals!

Nada...
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Couldn't judge how I felt b/c the beginning of the run was downhill. But when I hit the flats, I knew I was a hurtin'. I was almost SPENT! 3 or 4 racers passed me before the turn-a-round. I was able to kick it up a notch at about mile 2, but the MF HILL was looming! I attacked the HILL as best I could...yes, I kept running! My niece was there yelling words of encouragement! I crested the HILL and attempted a kick, but no kick was coming. I crossed the finish and let out a yell.

I'm a triathlete!

don't know...I think the bike hill got me. Also, no sleep the night before may have just caught up with me... thing is, I know I can run better than that..
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with my son, nephew, and niece...they congratulated me. I grabbed some bananas and cookies and headed down to the HILL to cheer my sister on. While we waited for my sister to show, my niece and I cheered on all the runners coming up the HILL! I'm sure there are some great stories out there from everyone who conquered that HILL...finally, my sister appeared and we cheered her on up the HILL and down towards the finish line! She finished 1st in her AG! Great job, sis!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of sleep and more conditioning. Oh yeah, did I mention HILL work!

Event comments:

Great volunteers! Set-upinc.com did a good job. Only negative I can think of is there weren't any port-a-pots! You had to go into the Y to pee.

Last updated: 2005-03-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 300 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 9/20
Overall: 0/175 M
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: snake back and forth.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 15.5 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/20
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Down some city streets, down a large sloping hill over a bridge, down an exit and out and back on a rolling country road. Then it was back up to the bridge, up the same sloping hill and back though downtown.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 8/20
Performance: Average
Course: From T2 down some city hills, onto a path by the river, through a train tunnel to the turn around and back the same way...Yes, up the same MF HILL!
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-04-12 8:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC
Subject: Angels Sprint Tri - VA

2005-04-12 9:36 AM
in reply to: #141495

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Angels Sprint Tri - VA
Congrats on your first tri! Great job!!!
2005-04-12 11:20 PM

Awesome results for your first tri!
2005-04-12 11:59 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Congrats Mark!  You're a TRIATHLETE!!!!

Totally impressive performance all around.  Sounds like you had a blast.  One heck of a finish too!  You certainly worked your ass for this too.  Incredible race bro.  Can't wait to meet you.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Angels Sprint Tri - VA Rss Feed