Tampa, Florida
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 44s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got to Sue's Friday about 3pm (I have a key!!!) My odometer read 832, and that was since Wednesday morning.

I'd gone to Publix, so I unloaded my stash and started making 'race nutrition': RICE KRISPY TREATS! Hell, they worked for the Princess Half M, so, why not? Mom and Dad O came in half way through cooking. Mom is obsesed with cleaning. My spatula dissappeared during the process.

Nice dinner with Sue's 'rents for M'Day. Home. They all went to bed and I had an allergy attack. Travelled from Delray to Orlando to Delay to Clearwater to Tarpon Springs to Plant City in the past three days and the barrage of mold/pollen took hold. (talked to Robit/Adam at Terri's service ... his Mom used to work at the place I stayed Friday ... not a good place.) Finally fell asleep at about 1am. Up at 5 ... so wanted to GO BACK TO SLEEEEEEPPPP!

But, today was not about me.
Event warmup:

Sucked up as much caffeen (sp) as possible.

Sue had kindly piced up packets the day before. I'm getting better at navigating DT Tampa. But, too many client meetings.

Sue drove, we got there, and there was a placard for Terri. I knew Terri peripherally. She stayed with me one weekend when she came down with Q for MiamiMan. She and I brushed up at other events, and honestly? She was a hoot. What allows you to remember some one person? What about them is so special that they can make that mark? I saw the picture and I sorta lost it; that's why I wear sunglasses. BIG sunglasses. Some of the Moffit volunteers asked us about her. Luckily, Sue had a voice.

We got chips and waited for other folks. I sat on an ant hill. BOO YA!!! That had to have provided a few chuckles.

Sue que'd up with the fast folk, and I went to stand at the back. I did my stetches ... cat/cobra. Suck it, peolple. It's how I roll. Walked around.

The gun went off, and I started to cry. For Terri, my Dad, my Uncle (still with us), for Bill (my friend Laurie's passed husband), for Megan's Dad, for Meg's and my friend Melony, hell, for me ... I had cryosurgury cervical cancer in 1990, 8 months after I was married. It just seems like it was so long ago and it was a non-issue in the long run, but yeah, I had a brush with cancer. So I cried.

But hell, I actually made it to a race start: enough reason to cry. :)
Run
  • 1h 00m 44s
  • 5 miles
  • 12m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

The volunteers were AWESOME! Lots of water stops and clapping for motivation. I didn't push anything. I haven't run in WEEKS. Just wanted to get out and Be There.
What would you do differently?:

Lose 20 pounds and ERADICATE THE FCUK or as my cat Lizzie would say MAP!!! out of Cancer.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished, got a cold towel and some AWESOME VITAMIN WATER 10 WATER!!!! Noticed the Walk was starting, ran over to find Sue's M&D, found them and they looked awesome.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm fat for me.

Last updated: 2009-05-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:00:44 | 05 miles | 12m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Awesome. Some hills. In South Florida, we call them 'wind.'
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-05-10 8:08 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Subject: Miles For Moffitt

2009-05-10 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2142066

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Miles For Moffitt

Awesome job.  You beat everyone who didn't get out of bed   If you train like maybe 1 day a week you will be kickingmy butt.  Thanks for coming down and sharing the bizarro day with me

2009-05-10 8:21 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Yeah, I'm so doggin' you at IMFL, liar liar pants on fire. But thanks for the props! 
2009-05-10 10:08 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Nice work just getting out there Janice - your life has been so hectic its great you are able to get out and take part!

2009-05-12 11:09 AM

User image

You're awesome. I love how you just pull a race out of your arse on a moment's notice. Nice job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miles For Moffitt Rss Feed